- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Cunard to reflag ships to Bermudian registry (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: Cunard to reflag ships to Bermudian registry
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 10-19-2011 10:13 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cunard has announced it will reflag it's three ship fleet from Southampton to Bermuda. It's a cost saving move obviously but it will also enable Cunard to perform weddings at sea like sister brands P&O and Princess.

Seems a little off-putting for a company that markets itself on it's proud British heritage. Once again I would say the bean counters have won. We certainly know who really runs Carnival Corp. brands.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 10-19-2011 10:24 AM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
itage. Once again I would say the bean counters have won. We certainly know who really runs Carnival Corp. brands.

Ernie

Yup -- the stockholders.

Posts: 757 | From: New York | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 10-19-2011 10:29 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SSTRAVELER:

Yup -- the stockholders.

The stockholders demand increasing profitablitiy and ROI, but they don't actually run the company. It's those lovely accountants that actually come up with the creative ways to meet stockholder demands, and I would say they are the true CEO's of Cunard and other brands. Some more than others.

Ernie

Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 10-19-2011 10:38 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess this is the first time Cunard's "liners" have been registered outside of Britain, but much of their cruise fleet has been registered in the Bahamas, such as CUNARD PRINCESS, CUNARD COUNTESS, SAGAFJORD, VISTAFJORD, etc.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 10-19-2011 10:40 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Carnival is turning into the GM of the 1980's. Homoginizing all of their brands, playing catchup, and undercutting fares on aged ships[fantasy class], badly designed ships[destiny class] and trite cruise formats that despite refits, do not compete with the best of Royal Caribbean offerings. Queen Mary 2 was the last innovative and significant ship they built.

Carnival may look good from 1/4 to 1/4 but hurting themselves in the long run.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 10-19-2011 10:54 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well maybe this move will satisfy the chorus of whiners who in recent years have been condemning Cunard and their ships, saying they're not really liners, they are merely Carnival cruise ship clones in disguise, that Cunard is not really British any more, etc.

So now comes the re-registry, which is still quasi-British, the ships will still fly the Red Duster. At least they won't be registered in Panama or Liberia!

Rich

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-19-2011 11:12 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 10-19-2011 11:24 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

Does the re-registry HAVE to read "Hamilton"? Southampton is a Parish of Bermuda, so maybe they could finnagle things to keep the same wordage?

Rich

Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 10-19-2011 12:02 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is not like the Union Jack is not flying over downtown Hamilton as well. Bermuda is still part of the United Kingdom..

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 10-19-2011 01:22 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Most of the P & O Cruises ships, which were also at one time registered in the UK, now have HAMILTON on their sterns so I expect Cunard ships will have the same.

They will then be able to conduct weddings on board which can not be done when a ship is registered in the UK.

Once again Carnival group are more interested in profits than a shipping companies history.

With now being a Carnival shareholder, as a result of having shares from the days of P & O being a UK owned company, I am disgusted with this change !

[ 10-19-2011: Message edited by: Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company. ]

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 10-19-2011 01:42 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company.:

They will then be able to conduct weddings on board which can not be done when a ship is registered in the UK.

Once again Carnival group are more interested in profits than a shipping companies history.

[ 10-19-2011: Message edited by: Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company. ]

But that's not the real reason for the change; the labour laws in the UK are changing in that any British-registered ships will have to pay the same wages on board as land-based employees make. So it's a switch to a flag of convenience, like every other line out there has done for decades.

One by-product of the change is the ability to offer weddings on board, and that's the public face that Cunard is putting on this thing.

Rich

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 10-19-2011 05:03 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

I hope that Cunard does'nt simply weld a metal plate over Southampton w/Hamilton printed on it.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 10-19-2011 06:03 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cunard has announced it will reflag it's three ship fleet from Southampton to Bermuda. It's a cost saving move obviously but it will also enable Cunard to perform weddings at sea like sister brands P&O and Princess....

From Cunard:

19 October 2011 - Cunard Line, one of the oldest names in passenger shipping operating the youngest fleet at sea, will offer its guests the opportunity to be married on board for the first time in its 171-year history. Beginning Spring 2012, a luxury cruise aboard
Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth will offer a selection of wedding packages, commencing after the World Voyages have been completed. The Weddings programme will go on sale in December 2011, with expanded details available soon.

“Most of our competitors have been offering increasingly popular and lucrative ‘Weddings at Sea’ programmes, and these are now very big business in the cruise industry,” said Peter Shanks, president of Cunard Line. “We receive a lot of enquiries about the possibility of being married on one of our ships – particularly during our regularly scheduled Transatlantic Crossings on our flagship Queen Mary 2, which no other company can offer.”

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 10-19-2011 06:17 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rich

Get the facts right !

Cunard would only have had to pay the UK minimum wage to a lot of their staff if the ships remain registered in the UK.

Senior staff may be paid more.

From the 1st October 2011, this is £6.08p an hour for those over 21 years of age, and less for younger workers !

It is only since cruise companies have started employing staff on consession rates, and registered their ships abroad, that the crew are paid a pittance for working long hours !

Before this UK registered ships crews were paid approved full rates of pay plus overtime..

We still have some of the smaller UK cruising companies with ships registered in the UK, and they still make a profit, so it is just greed by the ships owners which is causing this change.

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 10-19-2011 06:41 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Obviously the dismay of many Cunard loyals is being heard loud and clear at Cunard headquarters.

This was just posted on Facebook by Cunard:

quote:

Dear Cunarders – We hear you. We appreciate everyone’s passion on this subject because we too are very passionate about Cunard. We value tradition and history and take our responsibility as stewards of our 171 year old brand seriously.

We remain quintessentially British in all that we do. Our Head Office remains in Southampton, England. We will continue to fly the Red Ensign with pride and we will continue to serve our very diverse mix of international guests with the British signatures you all rightly expect.

In our history we have flown many flags - of the 250 ships in our fleet only eight have carried the name Southampton on the stern. The name on the stern will not change the experience we deliver.

We firmly believe offering weddings at sea will be very popular and support our continued success.

We understand people's concern but we remain the Cunard that so many of you, as valued guests, have enjoyed over many years. We will never forget our proud British Heritage and we will continue to deliver our British signatures to our guests each and every day.

We Are Cunard!

Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 10-19-2011 07:22 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While I can understand and appreciate the reasons behind this move, I still cannot help but be saddened and angered over it. Bermuda might be British but its just not the same. I wish they would at least leave the QM2 as a UK registered ship.
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-19-2011 07:44 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"We are Carnival"!
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 10-19-2011 08:06 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company.:
Get the facts right !

Cunard would only have had to pay the UK minimum wage to a lot of their staff if the ships remain registered in the UK.

My understanding is that it is only applicable in respect of crew members residing in an EU member state.

Cunard are only stating weddings in their press releases as the majority of their passengers would not understand anything else.

Pam

[ 10-19-2011: Message edited by: PamM ]

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 10-19-2011 08:17 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cunard Fan:
While I can understand and appreciate the reasons behind this move, I still cannot help but be saddened and angered over it. Bermuda might be British but its just not the same. I wish they would at least leave the QM2 as a UK registered ship.

While I'm disappointed with the registry change, I'm more disappointed with Cunard's lack of transparency to their "valued guests". Had Cunard just been forthcoming, and stated that due to changes in European Legislation which would cause financial hardship, a fleet registry change was necessary, I would have been much more understanding.

Instead they decided to cover up the real reasons with this farce of onboard weddings. It's truly insulting to my intelligence. If they are truly serious about these weddings creating so much additional business, lets see if they add a wedding chapel to QM2 during her November refit. It would be the perfect opportunity but somehow I doubt that will happen. I also seriously doubt there are many couples just dying to get married on QM2 mid-Atlantic. Most people that sail Cunard are well past the 'just getting married' stage of their lives. Cunard is not Princess or P&O where onboard weddings are popular and there are wedding chapels onboard. They are more mainstream lines. Different demographic.

Ernie

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-21-2011 05:38 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quicker than you think?

The QUEEN ELIZABETH is scheduled to register 24 October, 2011 with the QUEEN VICTORIA on October 27, 2011 and the QUEEN MARY 2 on December 1st, 2011.

(Source: Bermuda Sun)

Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 10-22-2011 03:18 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think of Cunard as "quintessentially British". Mid-Atlantic, more like.

Arguably P&O (and other 'imperial' lines such as Union Castle) were always more British, in that they served an almost exclusively British and colonial trade. Cunard were always 50% american in customer base.

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
oslo dutch
First Class Passenger
Member # 4669

posted 10-22-2011 05:56 AM      Profile for oslo dutch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

While I'm disappointed with the registry change, I'm more disappointed with Cunard's lack of transparency to their "valued guests". Had Cunard just been forthcoming, and stated that due to changes in European Legislation which would cause financial hardship, a fleet registry change was necessary, I would have been much more understanding.

Instead they decided to cover up the real reasons with this farce of onboard weddings. It's truly insulting to my intelligence. If they are truly serious about these weddings creating so much additional business, lets see if they add a wedding chapel to QM2 during her November refit. It would be the perfect opportunity but somehow I doubt that will happen. I also seriously doubt there are many couples just dying to get married on QM2 mid-Atlantic. Most people that sail Cunard are well past the 'just getting married' stage of their lives. Cunard is not Princess or P&O where onboard weddings are popular and there are wedding chapels onboard. They are more mainstream lines. Different demographic.

Ernie

Yep Ernie, in the end it's just all about money and keeping investors and shareholders happy. I suppose Carnival headquarters can't be bothered if QM2 is registered in Southampton or Monrovia, as long as the revenues are fine.

I imagine Peter Shanks more of a hardliner than his predecessors. He also made it perfectly clear he was happy to have gotten rid of the QE2. The Ryanair style extra charges have also increased a lot (compared to very low fares to lure people on board). And they seem to be cutting a lot of costs on maintenance and passenger services.

Probably something in this day and age we need to live with, however this "British Ocean Liner and Weddings at sea" spin is given me a bitter after taste in my mouth

They know at head office it will blow over and it'll be just a question of time when no one bothers anymore.......

Posts: 349 | From: Oslo | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 10-22-2011 08:51 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oslo dutch:

They know at head office it will blow over and it'll be just a question of time when no one bothers anymore.......

Quite right Reint and no doubt it will all blow over and life goes on. I'm wondering though, since Cunard is so history driven if this day will be remembered as a day when there was a fundlemental change with the line? I suppose that depends on what happens next, and if Shanks has anymore tricks up his sleeve?

I do have to wonder if Shanks is the least bit concerned about his job? He is not well liked and has made more than a few blunders since taking charge of the line. He has sort of made himself the face of Cunard with his blog, so of course that places him under extra scrutiny which in this circumstance is not a good thing.

So far Cunard has been almost silent about the situation except for one post on Facebook.

Ernie

Frank X. Prudent
First Class Passenger
Member # 1723

posted 10-22-2011 02:41 PM      Profile for Frank X. Prudent   Email Frank X. Prudent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I do have to wonder if Shanks is the least bit concerned about his job? He is not well liked and has made more than a few blunders since taking charge of the line. He has sort of made himself the face of Cunard with his blog, so of course that places him under extra scrutiny which in this circumstance is not a good thing.

Ernie

I don't know if you noticed, and maybe I'm reading too much into it, but Cunard's marketing might see a problem with Shanks. There are several Cunard publicity photos of him that are currently being used, in what I believe to be an attempt to soften his image. There's a photo of Shanks with a beautiful golden hair dog that he is down along side petting. Another photo has a smiling Shanks riding a bike for The Prince's Trust. Gosh, how can you not like a guy that rides bikes for charity, pets dogs, and reflags ships to keep the crews' wages as low as possible?

Posts: 577 | From: Covington, Kentucky, U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 10-22-2011 04:27 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
[...]
I'm wondering though, since Cunard is so history driven if this day will be remembered as a day when there was a fundlemental change with the line? [....]

I doubt that. Of course, it is indeed ridiculous at best to see a line selling itself as 'British' changing the flag of their ships. However, these ships were not built in Britain, they are not owned by a British company and the crew is not British while Cunard still successfully manged to position itself as 'traditional' and 'British' at the upper end of the mainstream cruise market. Giving that I doubt that the port of registry plays a role when it comes to selling cruises aboard Cunard ships. The 'fundamental' chang(es) to Cunard happened already - this is just a formality.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.