- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Funship 2.0

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Funship 2.0
Matts
First Class Passenger
Member # 4120

posted 10-03-2011 02:02 PM      Profile for Matts     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Miami-based Carnival Cruise Lines on Monday announced a host of new partnerships with brands and celebrities as part of a $500 million initiative.

Called “Fun Ship 2.0,” the expansion program will include burger joints from Food Network personality Guy Fieri; comedy clubs overseen by actor and comedian George Lopez; a sports bar linked to video game manufacturer EA Sports; interactive game shows featuring Hasbro games such as Sorry and Simon and more original bars and lounges.

Cruise line executives announced the initiative at a press conference in New York. The Carnival Liberty will be the first ship to offer many of the new options, but 14 ships are scheduled to get the updates through 2015 in the first phase.

Owned by Carnival Corp., the world’s largest cruise ship company, Carnival Cruise Lines cultivates a reputation as a fun, memorable value option. What the line, which has 23 ships, hasn’t done is form relationships with well-known companies like its competitors have over recent years.

Royal Caribbean International’s deal with DreamWorks places characters such as Shrek and Fiona in shows and other onboard activities, while Norwegian Cruise Line has Nickelodeon characters and shows and Disney Cruise Line has a kingdom of fictional personalities to entice kids.

Gerry Cahill, president and CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines, said the new offerings are an effort to lure guests from any other vacation option — on land or sea.

“It’s not a reaction to any particular competitor, it’s a reaction to the whole travel and tourism sector,” he said in an interview with The Miami Herald. “Everyone is trying to make their brand stand out and we’re trying to do the same.”

Comment: Does this involve refurbishing the ships and 'de farcussing' some spaces?

Posts: 829 | From: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 10-03-2011 02:08 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nothing earth shattering here ... just Carnival finally playing catch up (to a certain extent) with the rest of the industry. I really miss the days when Carnival thought outside the box, and the entire industry just waited to see what they would do next. Those days are over and today Carnival is pretty much a follower (in pretty much everything but revenue).

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 10-03-2011 05:57 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nothing that would make me go out and book Carnival again. How about spending money on a new ship design in place of trying to use smoke and mirrors? They are doing nothing more than trying to play catch up with the competition. While I'm glad to see them adding enhancements, it was not anything earth shattering.
Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-03-2011 07:43 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Carnival may not think outside the box these days but they did invent the box!

I do have difficulty equating their lack of innovation with their mega-profits. Surely their passengers will eventually notice that Carnival are lagging behind in ship design?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 10-03-2011 08:33 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Surely their passengers will eventually notice that Carnival are lagging behind in ship design?[/QB]

Not really sure it matters to the masses that are attracted to Carnival. Carnival is price driven and those most attracted to Carnival look at price as the driving factor in the decision making process. So long as Carnival keeps the prices low, and still offers perceived value they will continue to do well especially in this economy.

The same can be said for companies like McDonalds and WalMart. Both are the most successful in their industry, and both appeal to the masses mainly on price. Neither is particularly innovative or offers the best quality or customer experience ... but both are immensely popular with the middle class to lower middle class masses because they are cheap and offer perceived value. Carnival basically has the same business model today.

At least Carnival realizes they can't completely rely on price alone, and are taking action to have recognizable brands as business partners. Of course this is something realized long ago by Carnival's competitors. Recognizable brands are another thing the masses seem to gravitate to, so it's fitting they have found their way onto mass-market cruise ships.

Ernie

Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 10-04-2011 08:32 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Possibly the most amazing aspect of these Carnival enhancements, is that many of them, like the Burger Joint, are free! I totally expected these things to be at extra cost.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 10-04-2011 09:17 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerrich:
Possibly the most amazing aspect of these Carnival enhancements, is that many of them, like the Burger Joint, are free! I totally expected these things to be at extra cost.

Rich

One thing I will say about Carnival is they have never been big on offering a lot of extra fee options. I think this plays into the entire price driven value product that Carnival is known for. People on a budget know they can sail on Carnival without too many extra fees. Again, very appealing to a price sensitive clientele which is Carnival's bread and butter.

Ernie

DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 10-04-2011 10:50 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm with you on that Ernie, it was much nicer when I began cruising in the 1980's and no fees for anything. It was just right, the adding of fees for this and fees for that is going way beyond what cruising has been about. Sounds like what the airlines are doing, not to mention what BoFa is doing when it comes to getting your money just using their ATM or anywhere else. Call it as I see it, greed going beyond sensibility and no uprisings will stop it.
Posts: 687 | From: Olney, IL, Move to FL 02/2015, Sailed SS NORWAY 3 xs. /May '99 Orig. Reg. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 10-04-2011 10:56 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
'Free' because it is a form of advertising for the various brands? The Burger Joint and others may pay Carnival for merely being aboard, or maybe nothing and the cost of providing the food less than a TV advertising campaign? Various ways of doing it, but Carnival aren't going to lose out and doing it this way must be cheaper overall for them.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
avalon1025
First Class Passenger
Member # 5383

posted 10-04-2011 12:15 PM      Profile for avalon1025   Email avalon1025   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just looked at my tickets from the Song of America, standard outside cabin $1590pp. That was in the 80's, so adjust the price and compare against todays per diems and see why the lines nickle and dime. Add in all the fees you can think of and its still cheaper today
Posts: 331 | From: West Hollywood | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cam J
First Class Passenger
Member # 24617

posted 10-04-2011 08:08 PM      Profile for Cam J   Email Cam J   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kudos to Carnival for undertaking this expensive and challenging 500 million dollar project.

I think theyre doing the right thing with this project and it will definitely enhance the already great on board experience Carnival is known for.

I also like the fact that they will be making these changes to most of the fleet so more passengers can enjoy them, and I think its a smart move making all of the new dining options Free which is something many other cruise lines have decided to do away with for the most part.

I think it makes sense to add these venues to about 15 existing ships rather than spend $ Billions on 2 new ships. Its thinking like this that makes Carnival the best at what they do.

My only complaint is the comedy "director", George Lopez. Let me just say, I HATE HIS SENSE OF HUMOR. I think he is the most irritating comedian, of them all. I have no idea why Carnival picked him, when there was a myriad of other sensible options.

Other than that, great job Carnival.

Cam J

Posts: 503 | From: Belvedere, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
jetwet1
First Class Passenger
Member # 6361

posted 10-07-2011 05:18 AM      Profile for jetwet1   Author's Homepage   Email jetwet1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

Not really sure it matters to the masses that are attracted to Carnival. Carnival is price driven and those most attracted to Carnival look at price as the driving factor in the decision making process. So long as Carnival keeps the prices low, and still offers perceived value they will continue to do well especially in this economy.

The same can be said for companies like McDonalds and WalMart. Both are the most successful in their industry, and both appeal to the masses mainly on price. Neither is particularly innovative or offers the best quality or customer experience ... but both are immensely popular with the middle class to lower middle class masses because they are cheap and offer perceived value. Carnival basically has the same business model today.

At least Carnival realizes they can't completely rely on price alone, and are taking action to have recognizable brands as business partners. Of course this is something realized long ago by Carnival's competitors. Recognizable brands are another thing the masses seem to gravitate to, so it's fitting they have found their way onto mass-market cruise ships.

Ernie

I will say this again, check out the prices, on many itineraries you will find that Carnival is not the cheapest. What they are though is consistent in everything they offer, including large standard cabins, great bedding, good food and a fun time, of course there are some negatives that goes with them as well, but they know what they are and they do it very well, much like as you said, McDonald's and Walmart.

Posts: 608 | From: Las VEgas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 10-11-2011 10:42 PM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do I detect a name similar to computer programs "funship 2.0" to appeal to the younger technology type generation.

It does seem like Carnival is playing catchup lately. It has been Royal Caribbean that has been hitting the news and tv shows depicting their newest ships like Oasis for example.

Nothing of what the other cruise lines have done appeal to me at all like relationships with dreamworks, disney etc....that seems cheap and tacky and more alligned to a family theme park rather than a cruise ship offering holidays to fantastic new destinations to explore.

These innovations look like they are trying to attract new breeds of passengers.

I can only hope that the other many cruise lines that exist that still do traditional cruise holidays to explorers and vacationers continue to do the same rather than follow down this path.

As for me I would take a World Cruise, Baltic Cruise, Norway, Iceland, Alaska, Asia and Middle East any day on a traditional ship - thats my style of cruisng.

Posts: 1055 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.