- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Gota Kanal Waterway Cruising

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gota Kanal Waterway Cruising
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 12-11-2010 03:57 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Has anyone here experienced the Swedish Gota Canal? They have some very old boats, the Juno came out in 1874, the Wilhelm Tham is from 1912, and the Diana came out in 1931. These boats are still in operations and apparently provide a very luxurious, experience down memory lane and the sites in Sweden are wonderful. Anyone?
Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-11-2010 04:30 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeBarryboat:
Has anyone here experienced the Swedish Gota Canal? They have some very old boats, the Juno came out in 1874, the Wilhelm Tham is from 1912, and the Diana came out in 1931. These boats are still in operations and apparently provide a very luxurious, experience down memory lane and the sites in Sweden are wonderful. Anyone?

Yes, I did that many years ago. I traveled aboard Juno from Stockholm to Göteborg.
This was actually when I started filming. The material is not good but I might put some clips on my webpage somewhen (...if I ever get to it - it has been 'to do list' for ages...).

It is indeed a fantastic and very unique experience and whereas I personally consider that as luxurious some aspects of it are very basic and one has to be clear on that. Cabins are TINY (smaller some train compartments) and one has to share toilets. Also, some cabins have doors to the open deck only - I do not consider that as disadvantage but you have to go outside (even when it's raining) to go to the toilet. Nevertheless, I certainly recommend this very special trip.

[ 12-11-2010: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 12-12-2010 10:33 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I might be cruising with Gota Kanal next year and didn't know much about it, and I'm trying to dig up what I can about these little boats. They look nice, a little rustic but classy.
Funnel
First Class Passenger
Member # 11251

posted 12-13-2010 01:24 PM      Profile for Funnel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Welcome to my corner of the world!
Every summer I have seen these Göta Kanal ships from my summer house.

One thing though; it's not cheap to sail with them. From 1500 to 2600 USD for a 3 nights cruise and 2400 to 3700 USD for a 5 night cruise.

Juno is said to be the oldest ship in the world with cabins, still in operation. I don't know if it's true, but I think that alone is a good reason for sailing with her.

Wilhelm Tham seen from my summer house at Lake Vättern.

Diana in the small village Borensberg.

There are in total 66 locks of which 2 are operated by hand.
Operation of a manual lock.

Locks in Borenshult, close to the city Motala.

I hope you decide to cruise the Göta Kanal next year, LeBarryboat!

/Erik

Posts: 18 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-14-2010 04:40 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Funnel:
Welcome to my corner of the world!
Every summer I have seen these Göta Kanal ships from my summer house.
[...]

Thanks a lot for those lovely pictures!

Jepp
First Class Passenger
Member # 5576

posted 12-15-2010 06:29 AM      Profile for Jepp   Email Jepp   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello!
A thread about Göta Kanal in the Swedish Skärgårdsbåtsforum has a lot of pictures. Sadly some pics in old posts are removed.

/Jepp

Posts: 158 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 12-16-2010 10:55 AM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow, thanks for posting that link...I couldn't read anything, but loved the photos!
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 12-16-2010 10:17 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Funnel and Jepp for the photos. These look like delightful little ships.
Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Funnel
First Class Passenger
Member # 11251

posted 12-23-2010 05:21 PM      Profile for Funnel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interseting to see how much Juno has changed since delivery 1874!
Hard to believe it's the same ship (or at least a part of the ship is the same).

/Erik

LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 12-25-2010 11:45 AM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks very interesting and rustic. I'm fascinated with the canal through Sweden, and the little boats.
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 04-29-2011 03:49 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just Arrived in Goteborg today and will be departing tomorrow morning April 30th aboard the Diana from Goteborg to Stockholm, a four-night journey. I already visited all three boats in the Gota Kanal fleet today and I must say they are very cozy little boats, with lots of wood and charm. Here's a link to my blog about this trip: Barryboat's Gota Kanal Journey
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 05-04-2011 02:13 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was truly a charming experience to cruise the Gota Kanal on the 80 year-old vessel Diana. Food was good, except I'm not a big fan of herring, particularly raw...yuck.Weather was good the first couple of days but then got cold.

Just went to the Wasa Museum today in Stockholm. Saw MSC's Opera docked in Stockholm the other day. Lots of cool little boats here in Stockholm. Wasa Museum was spectacular! Stay tuned for a detailed video with interviews of the Wasa Museum.

LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 05-13-2011 12:27 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some PHOTOS from my recent Gota Kanal cruise in Sweden.

Album Two - Gota Kanal

Album Three - Gota Kanal

[ 05-13-2011: Message edited by: LeBarryboat ]

Funnel
First Class Passenger
Member # 11251

posted 05-21-2011 05:32 PM      Profile for Funnel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am glad you did this "cruise" and it's great to hear that you had a nice time here in Sweden and at Göta Kanal, Barry!
As you said, it's a very different experience from normal cruises. Not much other to do than experience the landscape, canal with locks, old ship and fellow passengers. Oh... and the food also, of course!

I agree about the herring; not a favourite of mine but the important thing with it is that you can have a "snaps" (flavored vodka) to go with it.

In Stockholm you can take a trip with steam ships in the archipelago. That can be a great experience.

Loved your photos!

/Erik

LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 05-24-2011 07:16 AM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Too bad I couldn't meet up with you Erik while in Sweden. I had the after dinner "port" dessert one night, like drinking gasoline...I'm not a drinker. I saw the hundreds of boats in Stockholm, and there was a decent collection of older boats in Gothenborg too. There was even an old ironside-like vessel similar to the Monitor from the U.S. that was very old...built in the early 1800's still floating. I got a laugh out of the fake ocean liner hotel restaurant in Gothenborg. Erik did you get a chance to see the Gota Kanal video?
Funnel
First Class Passenger
Member # 11251

posted 05-24-2011 05:09 PM      Profile for Funnel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Drinking gasoline...
That's what we do over here...
The only way to keep us warm during the winter!

A funny thing about the Monitor; it was originally designed by a Swede, John Ericsson, who also invented the propeller.

Barry, I saw the video on the C@ board (I guess it's the same video as here?) and thought it was great!
It gave a good insight in cruising the Göta Kanal and also of the people working on the small ships.

/Erik

LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 03-06-2012 06:14 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wrote an article about the Gota Kanal experience, "Steaming Through Sweden" which will appear in the March 2012 issue of Porthole Magazine Sample of article The article in the magazine has some pictures too.
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 07-27-2014 03:32 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...it took me a while to get some clips of my trip aboard Juno online. It's old, low quality footage - in the meantime much better videos became available online - however, I still decided to share it.

Juno, Göta Canal Video Clips - 1989

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.