- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Award-winning actress and performer Hannah Waddingham will serve the time-honored, maritime tradition as the official Godmother of Princess Cruises' newest "Love Boat" Sun Princess. The star-studded naming ceremony will take place at the Port of Barcelona on April 23, 2024. Waddingham joins an esteemed group who have served as Godparent to Princess ships: Diana, Princess of Wales (Royal Princess, 1984)...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. today unveiled the most comprehensive new build order in its history—a total of eight state-of-the-art vessels, representing nearly 25,000 additional berths, with new classes of ships for each of its three award-winning brands—and the construction of a multi-ship pier at Great Stirrup Cay, the Company’s private island destination...

Latest News...MSC Cruises and Chantiers de l'Atlantique marked two important milestones today in the construction of the innovative World Class ships, MSC World America and MSC World Asia, during a press conference at Seatrade Cruise Global in Miami. MSC World America celebrated a major milestone with the completion of its float out ceremony at the shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France on Sunday, April 7, 2024...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » NCL new orders (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: NCL new orders
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 09-06-2010 11:10 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hear NCL have signed a letter of intent with a German yard for 2 ships and 1 option, supposedly smaller than Epic and post panamax.

Anyone heard the same ?

I have also heard that Apollo may want to get rid of NCL ?

Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 09-06-2010 11:29 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey Mike,
Seatrade Insider is reporting the same information, regarding a letter of intent for two newbuilds. I have not heard anything about Apollo, but I would imagine they would want to hold on to NCL until there is a IPO.

One thing is guaranteed, these newbuilds will be substantially different from EPIC. EPIC will be a one-off which is probably a good thing.

One editor on a cruise site is calling EPIC the most "un-Freestyle" ship ever built, because of the planning and lines involved when you sail on her. Basically the venues are not large enough, and even when you have a reservation you may have to wait in line for up to an hour for a good seat.

Not very "Freestyle" apparently. LOL

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 09-06-2010 03:22 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I interviewed the CEO, and I asked him about any new ships, he said if they build another ship the tonnage will be around the size of the Carnival Dream rather than the Epic, but the new ship will have similar arrangement to the Epic only smaller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Uln9p01-Y

Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 09-06-2010 03:37 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeBarryboat:
but the new ship will have similar arrangement to the Epic only smaller.

Lets wait and see. Personally I think any new ships will have a very different arrangement compared to EPIC. You may see many of the same venue names, but I would be willing to bet the venues will be larger, and the flow will be quite different. Being that Meyer Werft built the Jewel Class ships, I would expect to see something more along those lines (larger of course), but with features of EPIC incorporated into them.

I would also be surprised to see the Courtyard area just plopped on top in the front like on EPIC. Perhaps it will return to a more midship location, or if it is up front, be better integrated into the overall design like on the MSC Fantasia Class ships.

I think EPIC has been the pun of too many "ugly" jokes (even from competitors) for a repeat performance.

Ernie

Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 09-06-2010 04:18 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear this news. I hope that NCL can continue to grow. I believe that someone posted that reps from Meyer Werft were on the Epic on her TA. I will be interested to see what the new ships will look like.
Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 09-06-2010 04:37 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Forgot to mention that I would also be surprised if the "wave" cabins with split bath make it to the new design.

Ernie

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-06-2010 04:43 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
Forgot to mention that I would also be surprised if the "wave" cabins with split bath make it to the new design.

If you are right about all this Ernie, that's a big omission of error on NCL's part.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 09-06-2010 04:52 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All speculation, but how many large cruise companies like Carnival, RCI, Celebrity, etc build one of just anything? As many have stated time and time again on CT, it makes good business sense to build clones. Of course the key is to build clones of ships that are actually well received and successful. I'm not sure EPIC fits into that category? For whatever reasons NCL has already decided that EPIC will be a one off ship. I think that last statement alone tells you something about NCL's confidence level with the EPIC design.

Remember that NCL already tried to make a lot of changes to the EPIC design before the ship was even finished. I understand some were successful, and in other cases it was just too late to make the changes.

In the next design, I think we will see certain EPIC features like water slides, a large Villa Courtyard complex, and multiple dining and entertainment venues, but I think that is where the similarities will end. I have a feeling they may have more of a resemblance with the Jewel Class but only time will tell.

Ernie

[ 09-06-2010: Message edited by: eroller ]

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-06-2010 05:00 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Surely, it must be Meyer Werft ?

I assume that NCL have ‘fallen-out’ with the STX Europe shipyard, who built the ‘Epic’.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 09-06-2010 05:02 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
Surely, it must be Meyer Werft ?

Yes, it's Meyer Werft where Star/NCL have a very strong relationship. Remember that seven of NCL's newbuilds were constructed at Meyer Werft along with SUPERSTAR VIRGO.

Ernie

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-06-2010 05:34 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernie, have you been on Epic yet?

How are the reviews doing now that real people are paying their hard earned dollars.

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 09-06-2010 05:53 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ernie, have you been on Epic yet?

How are the reviews doing now that real people are paying their hard earned dollars.

Yes, I have been on EPIC (just a visit) and posted my impressions and pictures here on CT. It's in the "cruise ships" section.

The reviews for the most part are very mixed. You have the EPIC cheerleaders over on CC that dispute any comment with even a hint of negativity, and you also have the Debbie Downers where everything is horrible.

In the middle are some excellent reviews that point out the very good, but also make note of the many areas where improvement is needed. Some of the areas of opportunity should be relatively easy for NCL to correct, and others not so easy as they are part of the design of the ship. It seems that many of the great reviews are from people who had access to the Courtyard Villa area, which to me comes as no surprise as I felt it was the best part of the ship. There is also a recent editorial post on CM calling EPIC the most "un-Freestyle" ship ever built. That is quite a statement for the newest ship in the fleet that prides itself on doing "whatever, whenever". Personally I think EPIC has been met with marginal success. The ship is not seeing the almost universal praise that we have seen with ships like OASIS OF THE SEAS and CELEBRITY SOLSTICE.

You can read my impressions on the other thread, but in a nutshell after spending the day on EPIC I didn't have much desire to spend a week on her. We actually postponed our EPIC cruise planned for November and rebooked on NIEUW AMSTERDAM instead. I have a hard enough time getting my partner to take a cruise (he doesn't like crowds), and after spending time on EPIC I knew it wasn't his cup of tea. He will be much happier on NIEUW AMSTERDAM and I might be as well. We shall see!

Ernie

mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 09-07-2010 01:36 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well I hope the new ships are more like the Jewel class. Personally I am baffled by NCLs move to place Epic in the Med next year, I cannot see that sort of deployment as being her forte. I could see her on the Miami short cruise market and being very successful at it as many of her structural shortcomings would not be as important. Personally I have no desire to book Epic but would not hesitate to book a Jewel class as long as I remember to allow a different pay extra restaurant every night and the cost of a suite.

I am intrigued by the possibility of Apollo "floating" NCL, perhaps if they fully owned the line they might look at it differently but then again maybe the whole Epic saga has poisoned their thinking ?

One thing is for certain, Epic will no doubt join the list of previous NCL f*** ups. One does wonder if different decisions had been made whether Carnival would still be number 1 ?

Of course they have made some really good decisions as well unfortunately overshadowed so often by the bad ones.

I recall someone from Carnival once commenting on the state of the market that "it is so good that even NCL could make a profit" ! Made me chuckle.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-07-2010 07:17 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mike sa:
Well I hope the new ships are more like the Jewel class.

The Jewel Class is of course a bit 'small' by modern standards. I guess we can expect a little over 100,000+ gross tons?

Epic is rather like a 'Jewel' class on steroids. However to me, making the cabins so narrow was the worst error. Although they are all very stylish, you can't help getting the feeling that you are in 'economy' class. Even another foot ot two would have helped. They seem to have packed a few too many passengers into the ship.

As for the 'innovative' entertainment, most of the venues are not particularly innovative. Similar entertainment could be provided on just about any ship with multiple venues.

The biggest innovation with Epic was her marketing!

mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 09-07-2010 10:11 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Epic is different from the Jewel class in one very specific way, the amount of space used as truely public space.

I don't know where to get the figures but I suspect if you added up the volume of theatres, bars etc etc on each Jewel would be much more spacious per pax.

Non extra tarrif or private deck space would probably be the same.

This combined with the hidiously high cost for Epic is why I would list it under their mistakes file.

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 09-07-2010 10:35 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mike sa:

This combined with the hidiously high cost for Epic is why I would list it under their mistakes file.

I agree. Considering that EPIC cost about the same as OASIS, there is no comparison. Walking around EPIC, it actually looked like it was built "on the cheap" to me. The quality and attention to detail just didn't seem readily apparent like it is on OASIS.

Ernie

Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 09-07-2010 12:16 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Would this also be why nobody appears to be interested in buying the Norwegain Dream.

Reports suggest she was also a cheap build !

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-07-2010 01:53 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
Walking around EPIC, it actually looked like it was built "on the cheap" to me. The quality and attention to detail just didn't seem readily apparent like it is on OASIS.

I think the problem is that Epic is QM2 size, but fits up to 1,500 more passengers and loads more dining options. This leaves no room for any 'wow' spaces - every inch is utilised for income generation.

For example there are few double high rooms, and the one that I had hoped would be impressive, the 'Manhattan' room, is somehow not a great as the renderings looked. This coupled with small (narrow) cabins in most grades, even the so called Penthouses, give you a feeling of "economy class".

In contrast, even though Oasis is a 'mass-market' income generation machine too, you somehow feel a bit special wondering through her public spaces, even if you are in the very cheapest cabin.

Anyone know how her bookings are doings? Are her fares still at a similar level to Oasis?

(Ernie, I'm a bit shocked that you are NOT cruising on a major new ship! Are you getting too old for 'Fun' ships? )

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 09-07-2010 02:11 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Anyone know how her bookings are doings? Are her fares still at a similar level to Oasis?

(Ernie, I'm a bit shocked that you are NOT cruising on a major new ship! Are you getting too old for 'Fun' ships? )

I think bookings on EPIC are good, and the per diems are high. NCL's excellent marketing is attracting a lot of first time cruisers. The question is, can they retain them after the cruise is over? You really have to deliver on the product to retain loyalty and I'm not sure NCL is quite up to snuff in that regard, especially concerning EPIC. Overall prices on ALLURE and OASIS are substantially higher, and many folks that would naturally consider both EPIC and OASIS/ALLURE end up booking EPIC because the RCI ships are priced out of their budget. Lets face it, OASIS and ALLURE are mass-market products, but priced at premium to upper premium levels. For me personally I think they are worth it if you can afford it (I feel the same way about Disney).

No Malcolm, I'm not too old for "fun ships"! LOL I have no issues cruising on the mass-market lines, but if I can get a better product at the same price I will always choose the better value. Frankly the cruise I had booked on EPIC was not cheap. After seeing the ship I really questioned spending that much money for a 7-day cruise on her. I just didn't see the value and I wasn't blown away by the ship. I'm now sailing on HAL's newest ship, in an aft facing balcony, at 1/2 the cost of what EPIC cost. I also looked at OASIS but the cost was outrages! I'm glad RCI can demand these per diems, but I'm only willing to spend so much on a basic 7-day Caribbean cruise.

Ernie

Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 09-07-2010 05:41 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can see why RCL charges more for Oasis and Allure because you get more. These ships cost lots of $$$$ and they need to recover some of that up front initially. I would think after a year or so prices will come down at least on Oasis,
Epic carried too much baggage during it's build and NCL does not seem to have their act together yet IMHO.
Ernie's comments about Epic point this out as he cancelled his cruise .
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 09-07-2010 06:46 PM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I guess we can expect a little over 100,000+ gross tons?

Malcolm,

from what I've heard, the newbuilds would likely be in the 135,000 - 140,000 gt range.

Best,

Raoul

Posts: 775 | From: Paderborn, Germany | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Beezo
First Class Passenger
Member # 1505

posted 09-07-2010 10:53 PM      Profile for Beezo   Author's Homepage   Email Beezo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know the timeframe when these ships may be delivered? If my memory is correct, I do not think there are any slots available for a delivery until 2013?

Brian

Posts: 865 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
rd77
First Class Passenger
Member # 2117

posted 09-08-2010 03:52 AM      Profile for rd77   Email rd77   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Brian,

Leadtime for a modern big cruise ship is about 3 years anyway, and guess what? Meyer Werft has two spaces in 2013 (assuming they can continue to build 3 ships a year).

BUT, most likely they will deliver one ship to NCL in 2013, and the other in 2014. Two ships in one year is probably a bit too much for NCL to take in terms of ships to fill and crews to train.

Brgds.
Ralph

[ 09-08-2010: Message edited by: rd77 ]

Posts: 1037 | From: The Hague, Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-08-2010 05:08 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, I read somewhere that the first would be delivered in 2013 - although that's a confirmed 'fact' as yet.

[ 09-08-2010: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-08-2010 07:14 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeBarryboat:
When I interviewed the CEO, and I asked him about any new ships, he said if they build another ship the tonnage will be around the size of the Carnival Dream...

At 128,000 gt that is not so much smaller than Epic at approx 150,000gt? Maybe 20K gt makes all of the differance?

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.