- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Has Stelios sold easyCruise?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has Stelios sold easyCruise?
greybeard
First Class Passenger
Member # 5284

posted 08-07-2009 07:53 PM      Profile for greybeard     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have seen reports, in Greek (which I can't read) and French (which I can make a stab at) which seem to suggest that Greek shipping company Hellenic Seaways has bought easyCruise.

Anyone know any more?

Posts: 587 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 08-08-2009 02:05 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe he has sold the company but keeps EasyCruise Life.
Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Christophe D
First Class Passenger
Member # 1680

posted 08-08-2009 02:54 AM      Profile for Christophe D   Author's Homepage   Email Christophe D   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, the article said that Hellenic Seaways has bought Easy Cruise LTD and their two cruises ships.
Yannis Vardinoyannis, president of Hellenic Seaways said that an opportunity for his compagny to enter in cruise market.

Posts: 282 | From: Dunkerque, France | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 08-08-2009 04:44 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stelios sold his first cruise ship some time ago so there was only the one cruise ship ' easyCruise Life ' in the fleet.

One report said that was not sold so it could continue to be operated by Mediterranean Classic Cruises.

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 08-08-2009 05:53 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The reports on Thursday & Friday were conflicting; I suppose something has been lost in the Greek translation. Some said the vessels would be incorporated into the Hellenic Seaways fleet, others say they only have the right to use the marketing name easyCruise in the destination ports. As I understand it, but could possibly be wrong, Anek & Sea Star own 70% of Hellenic Seaways, but easyGroup also have a stake in Sea Star, so could be a case of anything re actual ownership of easyCruise Life.

We can only wait for a real translation I think, which I haven't seen yet.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 08-08-2009 06:42 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Hellenic Seaways press release translates as

By Google
"Apart from the cruise ship easyCruise Life, capacity 574 passengers, will join the fleet of our company, the Hellenic Seaways acquires from easyGroup the exclusive right to use the mark easyCruise to all destinations in the Mediterranean."

By Babel Fish

"Apart from the cruise ship easyCruise Life, capacity of 574 passengers, that will be included in the fleet of our company, Hellenic Seaways acquires from the easyGroup right of exclusive use of signal easyCruise in the all destinations of Mediterranean."

Pam

greybeard
First Class Passenger
Member # 5284

posted 08-09-2009 05:49 AM      Profile for greybeard     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
According to an article in the Business section of today's Sunday Times "EasyCruise, another of [Stelios's] high-profile businesses, has been quietly sold to Hellenic Seaways, one of Greece’s largest ferry groups. Haji-Ioannou has taken a stake in Sea Star Capital, Hellenic’s largest shareholder.

Any clearer?

Posts: 587 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
hotman
Just Boarded
Member # 26523

posted 08-10-2009 12:17 AM      Profile for hotman   Author's Homepage   Email hotman   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Indeed, so in fact Stelious has sold easycruise to himself. Also, Medeterranean Classic Cruises which is now marketing the EasyLife vessel, will cease doing so at the end of the summer. Maybe Seaways will acquire the Norwegian Dream, which has gone missing from AIS a few days back??
hotman

Posts: 3 | From: germany | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 09-15-2010 07:50 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
easyCruise Life has not moved for 11 months; tied up in Drapestona. Today she has been towed to a shipyard in Eleusis, but more than likely just for the certification which was postponed from April 09 to Sept 2010 to be carried out to keep her in class, perhaps ever hopeful of a sale/charter. A few photos from July:-

Pam

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-15-2010 05:49 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I will never understand how he initially made any money out of EasyCruise with fares so low - maybe he didn't?
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 09-15-2010 06:06 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Was he not the man who wanted to turn the industry up side down as he did within the airline industry. Making ridiculous remarks after his meeting with Mickey Arisson. Look at Easy cruises now 1 sold vessel 1 lay-up fore 9 months. You can not change a +150 year industry with spartan looking vessels and a big mouth.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 09-15-2010 07:20 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ben

You may think he has a big mouth but it should be remembered he also set up Easy Jet which is a very successful airline and also some other companies with the ' Easy ' at the start of their names.

He gives a lot of the profits made from his companies to charity.

I wonder what he would think of you !

Any suggestions ?

[ 09-15-2010: Message edited by: Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company. ]

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 09-15-2010 08:25 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company.:
Ben

You may think he has a big mouth but it should be remembered he also set up Easy Jet which is a very successful airline and also some other companies with the ' Easy ' at the start of their names.

He gives a lot of the profits made from his companies to charity.

I wonder what he would think of you !

Any suggestions ?

[ 09-15-2010: Message edited by: Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company. ]

Oh he do good things with his money, he's by definition good. Well Easy cruise is a big flop and yes he still have a big mouth nothing more then facts.

You know Neil I give no dam about what you or Heliossos think of me......

[ 09-15-2010: Message edited by: Maasdam ]

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
SalamisFiloxenia (Tom...)
First Class Passenger
Member # 6702

posted 09-16-2010 02:35 AM      Profile for SalamisFiloxenia (Tom...)   Email SalamisFiloxenia (Tom...)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maasdam:

You know Neil I give no dam about what you or Heliossos think of me......

[ 09-15-2010: Message edited by: Maasdam ]

So you shouldn't, don't let them bully you.

Posts: 338 | From: weston super mare | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-16-2010 04:01 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
[...]You can not change a +150 year industry with spartan looking vessels [...]

There are A LOT of people who enjoy traveling, certainly would enjoy traveling by ship but never ever would consider to step aboard a contemporary cruise ship.

Whether they are enough to 'change the whole industry' is a different story (very likely not) but there IS a market for ships without the tasteless decor, ships that are not floating amusement parks ships where the traveling aspect is more in the foreground - and right now the '150 year old' cruise industry is not serving this market at all. easyCruise was a failure (e.g. calling it a cruise was where the problems started) but it for sure was an interesting approach to offer a different way of traveling by ship.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 09-16-2010 05:45 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

There are A LOT of people who enjoy traveling, certainly would enjoy traveling by ship but never ever would consider to step aboard a contemporary cruise ship.

Whether they are enough to 'change the whole industry' is a different story (very likely not) but there IS a market for ships without the tasteless decor, ships that are not floating amusement parks ships where the traveling aspect is more in the foreground - and right now the '150 year old' cruise industry is not serving this market at all. easyCruise was a failure (e.g. calling it a cruise was where the problems started) but it for sure was an interesting approach to offer a different way of traveling by ship.

I agree with you that the approach was interesting. My problem is that he was yelling that he in his own would chance the cruise industry. And that is why I made the quite above.

Greetings Ben.

First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 09-16-2010 05:55 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ben

Even you can not deny that he offered an unusual choice for cruising even if it was not a financial success.

Now, what was I thinking about you !

Oh Yes !

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 09-16-2010 06:47 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stelios is in the public eye.
Thank you Neil for turning yet another thread into a personal backstabbing squabbling match.
Goodbye

Pam

Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 09-16-2010 07:14 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I agree with you that the approach was interesting. My problem is that he was yelling that he on his own would chance the cruise industry. And that is why I made the quote above.

Greetings Ben.

First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 09-16-2010 01:08 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pam M

Time you remembered that not everybody has the same view on things.

It was Ben who slagged off Stelios first and not me !

If Ben can slag him off then why should I not say what I think and also mention his good points.

This sort of thing does not happen on my forum !

Seems you may also have a one sided view !

Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 09-16-2010 02:21 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But Neil, he never said anything bad about YOU.. If you love your forum so much, please stay on it.

[ 09-16-2010: Message edited by: Thad ]

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-16-2010 02:54 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thad:
But Neil, he never said anything bad about YOU.. If you love your forum so much, please stay on it.

Maybe 'Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company' is the pseudonym Stelios is using to post here and mentioning his internet forum was just a careless mistake. Think about it: People who own airlines can easily afford their own internet forum.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-16-2010 03:34 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow...is Easycruise even worth arguing about?
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 09-16-2010 05:06 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought I was supposed to be Ruebens according to some on here !

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.