- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Oceania Cruises today announced its newest ship Allura will enter service one week earlier than scheduled. Due to join the fleet in summer 2025, her inaugural sailing will now depart Trieste, Italy, on July 18, 2025, cruising six days to Athens, Greece, calling at gems in the Eastern Mediterranean including Rijeka, Croatia; Ravenna, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; and Kotor, Montenegro...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line expects Carnival Pride to resume sailing from the Port of Baltimore on May 26, continuing the cruise line’s year-round homeport schedule.Carnival Pride is expected to arrive in Baltimore on May 26, following a week-long cruise that embarked in Norfolk, Va., where Carnival temporarily moved its Baltimore operations after the collapse of the Key Bridge...

Latest News...For the first time ever, Celebrity Edge, the ship that introduced the revolutionary outward-facing design, calls Alaska home for the summer. Today, Celebrity Edge will embark on her maiden sailing roundtrip from Seattle on a seven-night Dawes Glacier itinerary with stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Through its unique outward facing design, Celebrity Edge will offer guests...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Pullmantur (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Pullmantur
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 05-20-2008 09:30 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The strangest thing. Today when I got home from work I had a box and poster tube waiting at my front door. It was sent UPS from Pullmantur. Trust me I have never ordered anything from Pullmantur and I don't even speak Spanish. Inside the box were several copies of Pullmantur brochures and of course a poster was in the poster tube. I honestly have no idea how they got my name and address. The package actually came from Illinois and there is a women's name with the address that I have never heard of.

Even more interesting is that Pullmantur has a cruise brochure printed in English will all prices in the US dollar. I had no idea Pullmantur had any presence in the US except of course that they are owned by RCCL. They even have a toll free number. 1-888-7PULLMA I searched the fine print in the back of the brochure for an address (such as where to send payments), and the only address listed is Mahonia 2, 28043 Madrid. I assume in the US Pullmantur is using a general sales agent, but interesting no address in the US is listed.

Five ships are included in the brochure:
EMPRESS
ZENITH
OCEANIC
OCEAN DREAM
SKY WONDER

I also received Pullmantur's large European land brochure, which is entirely in Spanish but with prices in US dollars. Also included is a small brochure on just Spain and Portugal, which is in both English and Spanish and prices again in the US dollar. The little brochure does have another logo on the front, "Mena International", "Wholesale Tour Operators Since 1943".

All very strange.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 05-20-2008 09:40 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I confess...I sent it
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 05-20-2008 11:35 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is interesting. I knew Pullmantur published English-language brochures, but I had no idea it published any with prices in USD. I thought they all had prices in EUR and I certainly didn't know there was a US phone number or anything like that.

I am sure Pullmantur could have gotten your address from Royal Caribbean, but how it would have identified you as a potential customer is beyond me!

Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 05-20-2008 11:52 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I finally found a letter with the package. It was rolled up with the posters which seems odd. It was not sent to me as a customer but as a "Travel Professional". How they got my home address is beyond me. Maybe from my subscription to Travel Weekly? It's the only thing I can think of.

In any case the letter announces how pleased Pullmantur is to be a new member of the Royal Caribbean family. It also speaks a bit about the product with an emphasis on the 'ALL INCLUSIVE' cruise concept. Also in capital letters, 'ALL DRINKS' are included in all of our ships' bars, restaurants and discos! What the letter doesn't say is that Spanish is the exclusive language onboard. It's does say the that Pullmantur is "high quality cruising with a Spanish-Mediterranean flair".

The phone number is listed and the letter is signed by Jose Arriola, Director General, Pullmantur, S.A. Director General is a corporate title that is not generally used in the US. Again, no address listed anywhere in the letter, nor on the letterhead itself.

Ernie

Westerdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 2093

posted 05-21-2008 12:15 AM      Profile for Westerdam   Email Westerdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know Mena is a semi large travel agency here in the Chicago area although they seem to be more interested in selling air tickets to Mexico then cruises from my personal experience with them. They were advertiseing some great rates with Pullmantur this past winter in the local spanish language newspaper. Beleive me when I say I was seriously tempted eventhough I do not speak much spanish!

[ 05-21-2008: Message edited by: Westerdam ]

Posts: 329 | From: Waukegan, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 05-21-2008 12:19 AM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It all sounds very unusual.

But there's no particular reason for the letter to say anything about the language on board because Pullmantur's ships are bilingual.

Joe Arriola, incidentally, is an American from Miami, who was sent in by RCCL after it bought Pullmantur, as I understand it to manage the transition to new ownership. (I think his job is strictly an interim one.) He has no prior cruise industry experience. He made his fortune as the owner of a printing company and was the city manager of Miami from 2003 to 2006. Apparently he was a rather controversial figure down there... If you Google him, you will get some interesting results. Because of his political career, there is a lot more "out there" on him than your average cruise line exec!

Vaccaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 465

posted 05-21-2008 09:54 AM      Profile for Vaccaro   Author's Homepage   Email Vaccaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But why this didn't happen to me?

Ok, I know, I'm not a potential customer...

(Ernie, you should send them a letter of complaint for them having violated your private life and then how much hurt you feel and then request a free cruise...)

[ 05-21-2008: Message edited by: Vaccaro ]

Posts: 1193 | From: France ...where the greatest liners ever are born, ...by far! | Registered: Feb 99  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 05-21-2008 10:54 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is indeed interesting. I have booked Pullmantur Cruises through Mena Int'l. before, and our transactions are usually done in Spanish because they speak little or no English there. But when I've dealt directly with Pullmantur, I find that their English is as good or better than my Spanish!

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 05-21-2008 12:00 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would have liked to have gotten a package like that. I have sailed Royal Caribbean, so maybe I might get it too.
Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 05-21-2008 02:23 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can tell you I did not receive the package from Pullmantur because I have sailed on Royal Caribbean. It's because I work in the travel industry. This being said, I'm still not sure how they got my name and home address. If anything it should have been sent to my office.

Ernie

DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 05-21-2008 07:55 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with you completely, it should have come to your office.
Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 05-22-2008 12:38 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One thing that is kind of funny about the Pullmantur brochure are the large pictures used for OCEAN DREAM and SKY WONDER (I hate that name!). Anyway, on OCEAN DREAM the Costa house flag is clearly flying from the bow flag post.

On the SKY WONDER photo, the P&O house flag is waving proudly from the bow flag post as well as the mast.

Not much attention to detail I'm afraid.

Ernie

Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 05-22-2008 12:49 PM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
One thing that is kind of funny about the Pullmantur brochure are the large pictures used for OCEAN DREAM and SKY WONDER (I hate that name!). Anyway, on OCEAN DREAM the Costa house flag is clearly flying from the bow flag post.

On the SKY WONDER photo, the P&O house flag is waving proudly from the bow flag post as well as the mast.

Ernie

It makes me think to some old MSC brochures where the ship pictured in the photo here to illustrate some itineraries were a RCCL vision class.

Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 05-22-2008 01:21 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This sort of error is always about, with any line. Those preparing the brochures just would not have a clue. Remember this Cunard Goof.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SalamisFiloxenia (Tom...)
First Class Passenger
Member # 6702

posted 05-22-2008 03:00 PM      Profile for SalamisFiloxenia (Tom...)   Email SalamisFiloxenia (Tom...)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

Ernie

and what is brilliant is how plainly obvious the flag is, i was rolling about on the floor when i saw it

Posts: 338 | From: weston super mare | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack McCoy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5709

posted 05-23-2008 02:06 PM      Profile for Jack McCoy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've been trying to get a Pullmantur brochure for a couple years. I was very interested in the Ocean Dream cruises from Cozumel to Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen and Havana. Contrary to popular belief, its not illegal for American's to travel to Cuba. We just can't spend any money to get there, or spend any money while we're there. Which means an all-inclusive cruise that just happens to stop there would be perfect. We could honestly tell the State Department Foreign Asset Division people that we spent money for a cruise; we can't help it the boat stopped in Havana. We certainly didn't spend any money there; the cruise was all-inclusive. Sadly, Pullmantur discontinued that cruise before RCCL got their act together. They apparently now are able to send Pullmantur brochures, in english, to the USA. How long until I can get a CDF brochure, do you suppose? Anyone know any other cruises that stop in Cuba?
Posts: 38 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 05-23-2008 03:35 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is now effectively illegal for US citizens or permanent residents to visit Cuba for the purposes of tourism.

The US government previously interpreted the law as meaning that it was possible to travel to Cuba on a "fully hosted" basis. This is no longer the case. The current administration interprets the law as prohibiting you from spending any money on travel to or from Cuba even if that money is not paid to Cuba or a Cuban national, and from consuming any goods and services in Cuba even if they were paid for by a third-country national (e.g. a tour operator). Basically, since August 2004 if you are a US citizen you may be prosecuted if you visit Cuba except for certain specific reasons (tourism is explicitly excluded), even on a cruise.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't know whether it's really illegal to travel to Cuba on a cruise, but the US government now goes under the assumption that it is. (It would also be illegal for Pullmantur to operate cruises to Cuba now, as it is a subsidiary of Royal Caribbean, which is based in the US. This is even though Royal Caribbean is a Liberian, not a US company.)

From the US Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control:

"OFAC ... has come to the position that even a person who accepts goods or services in Cuba without paying for them is in fact engaging in a prohibited dealing in property in which Cuba or a Cuban national has an interest. Therefore, OFAC is removing the language regarding fully-hosted travel from the [Cuban Assets Control Regulations] and is thereby eliminating any authorization of fully-hosted travel. ... OFAC interprets the prohibition ... on dealing in property to include a prohibition on the receipt of goods or services in Cuba when those goods or services are provided free-of-charge, whether received as a gift from the Government of Cuba, a national of Cuba, or a third-country national, unless otherwise authorized by an OFAC general or specific license."

[ 05-23-2008: Message edited by: dougnewman ]

Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 05-23-2008 03:55 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack McCoy:
Anyone know any other cruises that stop in Cuba?

Even if, as a US citizen, you were allowed aboard a ship going to Cuba, it would be a moot point; I don't think anyone is currently stopping there. Fidel more or less kicked out the cruise industry a couple of years ago, claiming that the passengers coming were not contributing to the local economy and were in fact a nuisance. Seems that I've heard that from a number of Caribbean ports over the years!

Just come on down to Miami--it's almost like Cuba, but with all the mod-cons!

Rich

[ 05-23-2008: Message edited by: Linerrich ]

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 05-23-2008 04:05 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can visit various ports in Cuba on Boudicca, Le Levant and Sea Cloud. Between them there are about 15 calls throughout 2008 & 2009. Very few indeed to what there used to be. A friend has just been for 2 weeks spending half the time in Havana and half in a beach resort somewhere. I will find out about it next week.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 05-23-2008 05:35 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It will be interesting to see if Raul has any interest in re-kindling the cruise industry in Cuba.

In addition to the ships Pam mentioned, C. COLUMBUS calls in a number of Cuban ports on her world cruise. (I think this has been the case every year for a long time.)

Were it not for US laws, I would quite like to visit Cuba, whether on a cruise or not. Everyone I know who has been there has enjoyed their visit.

Jack McCoy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5709

posted 05-23-2008 08:53 PM      Profile for Jack McCoy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No offense Doug, or OFAC, but that was the whole point going on an all-inclusive cruise that stops in Cuba: You aren't spending money to specifically get THERE, and there is no need to accept goods or services THERE, its ALL inclusive. United States citizens have the freedom to travel. We can't support the government of Cuba, but the reasons that OFAC says you can't go there are completely mooted by an all inclusive cruise. See my point? I highly doubt the State Department could prove you accepted goods or services from Cuba, or spent money there or to get there when the ship stopped elsewhere and provided, as part of the fare, everything you could want or need.
Posts: 38 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 05-23-2008 09:25 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All-inclusive cruises to Cuba were only legal because of the "fully-hosted" exception.

With all due respect, if you spend money on a cruise that goes to Cuba, you're spending money to get to Cuba. It's not like the ship is going to Cuba accidentally! You may not be spending money to go only to Cuba, but if Cuba's on the itinerary, you're paying someone to take you to Cuba, among other places. I don't think the fact that Cuba is not the cruise's sole destination makes much of a difference.

The way the rule is written, you couldn't even go on a cruise to Cuba without getting off the ship, since you've still paid for travel to Cuba, and the cruise line is still paying port charges, which you contributed to with your fare.

Moreover, once you're in Cuba, you couldn't consume anything legally, whether you paid for or it or not. Even drinking tap water would be illegal, since someone paid for it. Going to the beach? Well, someone pays to keep the beach clean, right? Of course, nobody could prove that you drank some water in Cuba, but OFAC assumes that if you went there, you must have done something illegal, and under its interpretation of the law, it would probably be right. It would be awfully hard to go to Cuba and not use anything that anyone, anywhere paid for.

According to OFAC, the act of traveling to Cuba is not itself illegal, but the act of traveling to Cuba is illegal if either you paid for it or someone else paid for it, which means that in effect, it is illegal. Either you or someone else will pay for it... Someone is paying for it! And as long as it was paid for by someone, you can't do it. So the legality of traveling to Cuba is a legal fiction of sorts - it's legal, but you can't actually do it. (That is, unless of course you are traveling for a "legitimate" reason, e.g. visiting relatives, journalism, academic reasons etc., not a tourism-related one.)

I am sure cruise lines calling in Cuba are aware that transporting US citizens or residents there is at best legally questionable - whether or not it is actually illegal, the US government acts on the assumption that it is, and a cruise line is not going to want to risk getting in trouble over this. Basically it would be more potential trouble than it would be worth for the cruise line to accept your booking.

gaz hants
First Class Passenger
Member # 5749

posted 05-24-2008 04:31 AM      Profile for gaz hants   Email gaz hants   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
wow i didn't realise americans were restricted.

freedom/liberty independence (just as long as you don't go to cuba) of the seas.

Posts: 273 | From: hythe southampton uk | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 05-24-2008 09:51 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I remember correctly Pullmantur HAD to stop cruising to Cuba before the sale to RCI, it was a condition of the sale.

It is of course all hokum anyway as thouseands visit Cuba every year on holiday so a few Americans would make sod all difference, in fact if they did visit it might actually hasten change there as the Cubans are then exposed to alternatives.

Mind if the Maritime Agency in the US gets it way with its extension of the Jones Act etc. the Cuban government would be crazy not to open up, all those Miami and Fort Lauderdale based ships will be desperate for a new homeport and Cuba with a modernised port and airport would be ideal.

Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 05-24-2008 11:06 AM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mike sa:
If I remember correctly Pullmantur HAD to stop cruising to Cuba before the sale to RCI, it was a condition of the sale.
Indeed. It would be illegal for Pullmantur to operate cruises to Cuba now, as it is a subsidiary of Royal Caribbean, which is based in Miami, even though Royal Caribbean is incorporated in Liberia.

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.