- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Two overboard rescued from Grand Princess

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Two overboard rescued from Grand Princess
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 03-25-2007 01:10 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"This just in, as they say. Saw this on CNN 25 Sept at 1300EDST, and just pulled it off the CNN website here:
"http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/25/cruise.ship.overboard/index.html

HOUSTON, Texas (CNN) -- More than four hours after they fell from a cruise ship into the Gulf of Mexico, two vacationers were pulled from the water about 150 miles off the Galveston, Texas, coast early Sunday, according to the cruise line and the U.S. Coast Guard.

The 22-year-old man and 20-year-old woman apparently fell from a passenger's cabin balcony on the Grand Princess about eight hours after the cruise ship left the Galveston port, said Julie Benson, spokeswoman for Princess Cruises.

"When alerted to this, the ship stopped, initiated an emergency search operation, and returned to the position where the overboard incident was initially reported," Benson said, adding that the ship turned around and headed back within 10 minutes of getting word.

"Rescue boats were launched from Grand Princess, and the U.S. Coast Guard was notified," she said.

A cruise ship rescue boat pulled one passenger from the water at 5:30 a.m. and the second was rescued a half-hour later, Benson said.

The two passengers were in "fairly good condition" and were being examined by the cruise ship's medical staff, Benson said. A decision has not been made whether to take them to a hospital, she said.

"It's amazing these two are alive and well," said Kevan Shaw, a Grand Princess passenger.

Shaw said rescuers fished the woman out of the water, and he saw her bundled in a blanket looking "a little cold" on the ship, which has been anchored about 200 miles southeast of Houston.

As rescuers hoisted up the life boat, Shaw said, he and others "saw the man in the water" and he was "yelling and waving to us."

Coast guard officials "found the man nude in the water but he was then clothed and is now on the ship's deck in a wheelchair," Shaw said.

Houston Coast Guard Lt. Kevin Kurczewski said a rescue helicopter and jet were deployed at 3 a.m. to search for them.

The Grand Princess, with 2,783 passengers and 1,122 crew, departed Galveston Saturday afternoon for a week-long voyage through the western Caribbean, according to Benson.

[ 03-25-2007: Message edited by: Cambodge ]

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-25-2007 01:21 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, that will move 'Princess' up the 'man overboard' league table. However, Carnival are still clearly the leading line to jump or fall off.

Now I wonder what the man was doing on the balconly, nude? Any ideas?

[ 03-25-2007: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 03-25-2007 02:39 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is this not the first, or one of the first times in which a passenger who had gone overboard (never mind jumped or fell) was picked up by the same ship from which he/she jumped? I wonder if they used a Williamson turn? We were discussing this on QE2 when a passenger was lost, and the ship did not do so. But in the QE2 case, the passenger was reported "missing" for some time, before it was determined that she was overboard. I assume in the case of GP, the signal went out immediately, and thus, a Williamson turn was the best way to do it. Anyhow, there was obviously good seamanship aboard.
Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 03-25-2007 09:46 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well my theory for why he was nude was because he probably took them off in the water to keep him from being weighted down. And you can move better if you dont have cloths on because i fell in the pool once fully clothed and it was hard to move because it sticks to you really bad. But it is good they survived at least they weren't hurting their 16 year old god child lol.

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 03-30-2007 10:28 AM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Saw these two idiots on Inside Edition last night. I think they jumped off purposely becuase the guy was either part of the navy or marines or something and he knew how to tread for hours and the girl was a certified beach life guard and knew how to tread water also so i think they did it purposely to get publicity. They showed footage of them in the water and of the whole ship cheering when they saw them so i think this maybe was planned by those two because after he was rescued he continued on the trip. And both were found with no injuries.

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 03-30-2007 12:12 PM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I see Princess attracts it's own version of freaks and losers....why should Carnival get all the glory??
Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 03-30-2007 12:44 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heaven forbid having someone jump from a Cunard vessel. With the classes of passengers,if your low on the totem pole they wave good bye to you!!! LOL
F4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 03-31-2007 12:13 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok, let's talk solutions. Clearly, the number of overboard cases has increased significantly in recent years. Numerous factors are to blame:

1. More people are crusing then ever before.
2. More ships have more balconies then ever before.
3. With more people crusing the average intelligence of cruisers is lower than it was 10 years ago. (My personal observation)

Eventually the cruise lines will have to develop some safeguard. Recent overboard passengers have been very lucky. But, as we know, most are never found. If the lines don't do something I'd expect the government to step in and regulate the problem.

How about a wrist band beacon that activates in salt water worn by all passengers. The crew would know the moment someone had gone overboard. I know, what about when passengers are ashore at the beach? The band only activates when the ship is moving. There most be some technological way to solve this problem.

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 03-31-2007 01:57 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fairsky:
Ok, let's talk solutions.

How about a wrist band beacon that activates in salt water worn by all passengers. The crew would know the moment someone had gone overboard. I know, what about when passengers are ashore at the beach? The band only activates when the ship is moving. There most be some technological way to solve this problem.

I understand where you're going with this thought, but really, would any of us, or anyone else, want to wear a special wrist band beacon for their entire cruise? How would that be enforced? People are already fed up with the regimentation of having to dine at 6:30pm in the Seven Seas Dining Room at table #64!

I think the cruise lines need to put responsibility back where it belongs: with the people themselves. It's called "being aware of your surroundings." The cruise lines should stipulate in their ticket contracts that any costs involved in such search and rescue missions will be passed on to the guest and/or their families!

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 03-31-2007 02:29 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can already see the lawsuit:

Overboard passenger, or family of the passenger, sues the cruise line for serving the passenger copious amouts of alcohol and not doing more to ensure intoxicated passengers don't jump overboard.

It would only take one or two such lawsuits for the cruise lines to develop some kind of safety measure.

I agree, responsibility belongs to the passengers. But when, in our society, has such logic ever prevented lawers from suing the pants off a company?

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-31-2007 02:46 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Many hundreds 'fall' off high rise building balconies each year. The number 'falling' from ships is hardly worth recording in comparison. From a building you are dead with a mess to be cleared up [a bill will soon be forthcoming from the ambulance service and hospital even in the UK], from a ship, no-one knows if you are or aren't dead and have to search. Those who have their vacations interrupted and lines who bear some of the cost and the USCG or other country equivalents should be suing the 'jumpers' if found or their estate, imo.

People need to be responsible for themselves and not blame everyone and thing for their own misjudgements.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-31-2007 03:25 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:

People need to be responsible for themselves and not blame everyone and thing for their own misjudgements.

Pam

Agreed! I also think Rich made an excellent suggestion about amending the passage contract to address those that "fall" overboard. There really is no way to fall overboard unless you are doing something you shouldn't be doing. Things like climbing the rail, sitting on the rail, or being so drunk and stupid that you probably deserve to "fall" overboard and never be found. Meanwhile the 2000+ remaining passengers have to endure part of their vacation being ruined as the focus turns to the missing passenger. Maybe a couple class-action law suits against the estate or individual that jumped might be a deterrent?

What I don't want to see is cruise lines going to extreme measures such as walling in all public outdoor deck areas with glass and raising balcony rail heights to your neck. It would not surprise me if this were to happen some day. Anything to reduce the cost of liability. We already have "big brother" watching 24/7 as ships today are loaded with cameras everywhere, and more security onboard than ever before

Just like the alcohol and liquid restrictions, this is another consequence of cruising becoming affordable to the masses.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 03-31-2007 05:44 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

There really is no way to fall overboard unless you are doing something you shouldn't be doing.

Maybe a couple class-action law suits against the estate or individual that jumped might be a deterrent?

Just like the alcohol and liquid restrictions, this is another consequence of cruising becoming affordable to the masses.

Ernie

The deterrent is quite an easy one: all it will take is for ONE cruise line to slap ONE of these idiots with the cost associated with Search & Rescue operations. The cost of additional fuel, manpower, and the costs associated with having the Coast Guard or other military/quasi-military organizations conducting S&R can easily rise above $100K quite quickly.

Once you slap one of these buffoons with a bill in excess of $25K, this epidemic will cease post-haste.

Tim

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-31-2007 06:33 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tim in 'Lauderdale:

Once you slap one of these buffoons with a bill in excess of $25K, this epidemic will cease post-haste.

Tim

Tim,
To be honest I'm surprised this is not already in practice?? Why should a cruise line pay for any of these expenses if the passenger is proved negligent? Of course I can't think of many situations where the passenger would not be negligent. Maybe if a crew member threw a passenger overboard, then the cruise line might be liable. I don't think that has ever happened.

Please don't tell me cruise lines are hesitant to pass on expenses due to bad publicity. I can already see the scenario. Poor Joe Bubba got shi- faced and tried to prove what a man he was by jumping overboard and killing himself. The cruise line ends up having to sue his estate for the rescue costs and his family takes it public on various talk shows. The big bad cruise line has no sympathy for the dearly departed and suddenly Cruise Line xyz are the bad guys.

I think cruise lines need to get beyond the worry of bad publicity, and together as an industry implement the policy you suggested. Then they need to stand behind each other if they ever have to act on the policy (and many will).

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 03-31-2007 06:48 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Frankly, I don't think slapping the jumpers with the search and rescue costs will make one iota of difference. I don't think people are contemplating any rational notions when they jump off a ship.

They are either drunk beyond any coherent thought, or they are suicidal and won't face the consequences of their actions anyway.

I could see the US coast guard slapping the cruise lines with the rescue costs for the increasing number of man overboard calls they are receiving. That could force the cruise lines to reexamine their policy and institute more preventive measure.

We simply cannot rely on passengers (intoxicated or mentally ill) to stay off the railings.

[ 03-31-2007: Message edited by: Fairsky ]

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 04-04-2007 05:09 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Moral of the story! NEVER have a low down balcony cabin on a Grand Class Vessel, goodness knows who's watching -p but it could save your life. Read here.

I guess the shock during the 'fall' relaxes certain parts of the body

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 04-04-2007 11:13 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
.............Idiots.......... they need to thank that lady profusely.

Jonathan

mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 04-05-2007 12:45 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree Pam, get a balcony high up - less bodies flying past at odd times of the evening.
Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 04-05-2007 03:44 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Or dont get a room with a view at all.

Jonathan

NWLB
First Class Passenger
Member # 1987

posted 04-06-2007 01:39 PM      Profile for NWLB   Author's Homepage   Email NWLB   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As if the rational....or dirty, minds of the world didn't already have a good idea what they were doing when they fell-nude-into the water.

They should sur-charge people that fall off the ship. Or march them onto the main stage and let people point and laugh at them.

Posts: 329 | From: Bowling Green, Ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-06-2007 03:18 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Judging by America's obsession with litigation and hence warning signs, ("Beware the hot water is hot") every cruise ship balcony should carry a warning sign "Danger, no shagging".

The small print of the ticket should point out that any rescue attempts made will be charged to your credit card, whether they save you or not.

I hope the couple though that the ‘moment’ was worth it?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
shipcafe
First Class Passenger
Member # 3959

posted 04-10-2007 10:33 AM      Profile for shipcafe   Author's Homepage   Email shipcafe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'm really tired of reading about people "falling" off ships. This seems to suggest that there is an inherent shipboard hazard where just anyone can "fall" overboard, down stairs, you name it.

The bottom line is that people are falling due to their inability to make sound, personal decisions. They either cannot hold their alcohol and decide to do a running leap off their balcony or decide to play on a staircase handrail. In any case, they will cry victim after being 'rescused' and undoubtedly will point fingers at the cruise line. All the while, the cruise industry's image is painted with their lack of judgment.

Posts: 314 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.