- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Carnival Passengers break muggers neck

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Carnival Passengers break muggers neck
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 02-25-2007 04:22 AM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (Reuters) - A group of U.S. tourists, including a former Marine, killed a Costa Rican mugger by breaking his neck after he pulled a gun on them in a Caribbean port, a local police official said on Thursday.

The cruise ship passengers told police they jumped on Wagner Segura, 20, to defend themselves when he pointed a .38 caliber revolver at them near the Caribbean port of Limon on Wednesday, and somehow snapped his neck, regional police director Luis Hernandez said.

Segura died instantly and two other unidentified thieves, one of whom was armed with a knife, fled the scene, Hernandez said.

"One of the tourists was a former Marine and he was probably the one who broke (Segura's) neck," Hernandez said. "His neck was completely snapped."

No charges will be filed against the tourists because police viewed the incident as an act of self-defense. Police questioned and released the group, which rejoined the cruise and left Cost Rica.

The Americans were passengers aboard the Carnival cruise ship Legend. They got off their tour bus to take photos in a notoriously rough neighborhood a short drive from Limon.

After the attack, they put Segura's body on their bus and found a police officer in Limon to report the incident.

Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 02-25-2007 05:09 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It pays off to have an ex-Marine or SAS in your tour party, you'll never know when he/she will come in useful.

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-25-2007 06:47 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CGT:
No charges will be filed against the tourists because police viewed the incident as an act of self-defence.

In the UK we have a great legal system: they would charge the tourist with Murder.

If our armed police shoot criminals in the UK they often end up in court having to prove that it was justifiable - their career is often ruined anyway even if they are acquitted.

If you hit a burglar over the head with a frying pan who breaks into your home at midnight, he can sue you for grievous bodily harm - even if he admits to breaking and entering.

[ 02-25-2007: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-25-2007 07:14 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"somehow", "probably".. ? This guy killed a man, the whys and wherefores should be known even if in self defence. Yes Malcolm, those are cases which make the news and as usual we never know the other side of the story.

I find it hard to believe that someone kills someone whatever the circumstances and is given a pat on the back to go away and enjoy the rest of his cruise. Try that in the US, or anywhere else for that matter.

It could so easily have ended up with all the tourists killed if there had been other accomplices nearby or if whoever made the lunge failed in the attempt. The mini bus driver may even have been in cahoots and driven the tourists there, stopping at that point knowing full well what was going to happen. Without any investigation into such things, that taxi driver may try it again.... Perhaps all these guys were known to the police and no investigation means a back hander.. guess whatever, it is the end of the story.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 02-25-2007 08:15 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope I haven't offended anyone with my earlier remark. It is always sad when a life is taken.

Cheers

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-25-2007 09:10 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bulbousbow:
I hope I haven't offended anyone with my earlier remark.

Yes, we have had a number of complaints from Costa Rican 'Muggers'. They are going to take the whole matter to their Union.

Joking aside (and yes all loss of life is tragic), the fact it was a 'Carnival ' passenger only goes to confirm the stereotypes held about their clientèle.

[ 02-25-2007: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 02-25-2007 09:25 AM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

Joking aside (and yes all loss of life is tragic), the fact it was a 'Carnival ' passenger only goes to confirm the stereotypes held about their clientèle.

While i understand the point you're making, this easily could have happened on RCI/ Seabourn/ Cunard. I don't think ex-marines are only allowed to sail on Carnival

Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 02-25-2007 10:03 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I understand the marine was both a senior citizen and a grandfather in his 60's/70's, the mugger couldn't have been up to much. No sympathy whatsoever, he got his justice quickly and but good, I hope they eventually get his assistants and throw the book at them.

I will now reconsider Carnival as a viable choice for my next vacation albeit I will have to get ultra thick ultra dark sunglasses to withstand the Farcus elements.

Just one note - it was evidentally a notorius neighbourhood they were in - if a private tour ok but if a ships tour what the hell were Carnvial / agents /tour operators thinking of in the first place ?

Sometimes these tours really need to be rethought - I remember tours in Brazil being held up even though it was common knowledge locally that it was stupid to go through the areas in question.

Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 02-25-2007 01:12 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have no sympathy for the mugger. He got what he deserved. I also look at as self defense.

Gordon

Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 02-25-2007 02:52 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The whole story makes me sad for both sides. I feel sorry for the man who killed the guy, he , I imagine, must be going through a hard time. Or at least I would.
And then I feel sorry for the man who died, Even though I don't think they were necessarily wrong in defending themselfs agaist him. You have to think, what kind of life did this guy live that would allow him to do this kind of stuff to people?

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-25-2007 03:19 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The attacker got what he deserved plain and simple. He attacked a group of innocent tourists and thankfully the ex-Marine took charge of the situation. The former Marine is a hero as it could have turned out very differently w/innocents being hurt.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-25-2007 03:25 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:

I find it hard to believe that someone kills someone whatever the circumstances and is given a pat on the back to go away and enjoy the rest of his cruise. Try that in the US, or anywhere else for that matter.

Pam

It happens here at times. If someone enters your home w/the intent to do harm or burglarize you have the right to defend yourself and your property-even if that means you kill the intruder. Rather them than you.

Matts
First Class Passenger
Member # 4120

posted 02-25-2007 03:37 PM      Profile for Matts     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cruise Critic are now reporting that Carnival Cruise Line are dumping Costa Rica from schedules and replacing with Roatan in Honduras.
Posts: 829 | From: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-25-2007 05:33 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matts:
Cruise Critic are now reporting that Carnival Cruise Line are dumping Costa Rica from schedules and replacing with Roatan in Honduras.

Isnt this the same thing that happened to St. Croix years ago when violence against cruise passengers and tourists got out of hand?

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-25-2007 05:45 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matts:

Why? To protect the muggers?

Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 02-25-2007 07:41 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that Carnival is making the move to leave Costa Rica and let things settle down for now. One can think that maybe some locals are not happy about one of their own being killed by a tourist from this ship. I see this as a cooling down period and Carnival will return.
Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 02-25-2007 08:34 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
May I ask what is the current relationship between Costa Rica and the USA?

Cheers

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-26-2007 02:01 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bulbousbow:
May I ask what is the current relationship between Costa Rica and the USA?

Cheers

The relationship seems to be quite good and travel to Costa Rica is very popular. The eco/adventure tours attract many visitors from the States and Canada. Costa Rica also has the highest literacy rate in Central America and is quite wealthy compared to its neighbors.

NWLB
First Class Passenger
Member # 1987

posted 02-27-2007 08:56 PM      Profile for NWLB   Author's Homepage   Email NWLB   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Point of etiquette, the term is Former Marine. "Ex-marines" are those drummed out of the corps in a dishonorable fashion. As the son of a former U.S. Marine, that point was made very clear at an early age.

It isn't a joke when they say "once a Marine, always a Marine."

And the Marine could well have been in his 70s. My father is 59 now, and I wouldn't dare pick a fight with his 6' 6" frame. Even in ten years, that would be a fight I'd simply lose, so would most people.

Posts: 329 | From: Bowling Green, Ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.