- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line said today that while rescue and remediation efforts continue in Baltimore Harbor following the collapse of the Key Bridge, it will temporarily move Carnival Legend’s Baltimore operations to Norfolk, Virginia. Carnival Legend is scheduled to return from its current voyage on Sunday, March 31. It will now return to Norfolk on Sunday, and guests will...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc today announced it has signed an agreement with Meyer Werft shipyard for a fifth Excel-class cruise ship for its namesake Carnival Cruise Line brand, with the delivery set for 2028. In mid-February Carnival Corporation had announced the first newbuild order placed in five years with news that a fourth Excel-class ship would join the Carnival Cruise Line...

Latest News...Four Seasons, together with luxury yachting company Marc-Henry Cruise Holdings Ltd, Joint Owner/Operator, Four Seasons Yachts, and venerated Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri, continues to chart a new course of luxury at sea. As momentum builds towards the inaugural season of Four Seasons Yachts, the first 10 unique voyages are unveiled, each inviting travellers to make the iconic islands...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » C4 Explosives discovered in package about to be loaded on RCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: C4 Explosives discovered in package about to be loaded on RCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS?
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 01-08-2007 04:26 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Coast Guard says plastic explosives are detected at Port of Miami

From Associated Press 12:57 PM PST, January 8, 2007

MIAMI -- A package that was going to be loaded onto a cruise ship at the Port of Miami tested positive for plastic explosives today, the Coast Guard said. The package was tested six times, and each time it came back positive for the military-grade explosive known as C4, said Petty Officer James Judge. The package was destroyed, and a Miami-Dade County police bomb squad was inspecting the remains to determine if there were any explosives inside. Police spokesman Bobby Williams said the instruments used to test the package sometimes give false positives. "We still need to check it out," Williams said. The package was included in provisions that were to be loaded aboard Royal Caribbean International's Majesty of the Seas. Explosives detection instruments gave the positive reading about 2 p.m., the cruise line said. The FBI was monitoring the situation, spokeswoman Judy Orihuela said. The developments came a day after three Middle Eastern men in a cargo truck sparked a brief terrorism scare at the port. After a bomb squad search, authorities concluded that the men were carrying automotive parts and that the scare stemmed from miscommunication.

[ 01-08-2007: Message edited by: CGT ]

Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 01-08-2007 04:56 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Turns out that this, too, was a false alarm, like yesterday's incident. See here:

http://www.nbc6.net/news/10697209/detail.html

But it just goes to show a heightened level of security (and insecurity) in our post 9/11 world!

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 01-08-2007 07:29 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yesterday's debacle was described as a 'Comedy of Errors' in the press, all a misunderstanding due to language difficulties... today's was perhaps being too vigilent and relying on technology.. why do such things ever make the press anyway? they should be kept under wraps until something is certain and dealt with. If you think a package really does contain explosive.. why test it 6 times!

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 01-08-2007 09:28 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Because a lot of Americans dont use common sense. I mean look at all the airline incidents that happen and how many middle eastern people are acused in our airports for being terrorist. They rely too much on fear and not common sense. And besides once they had it and it tested positive why nt just get rid of it?

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 01-08-2007 10:59 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan:
I mean look at all the airline incidents that happen and how many middle eastern people are acused in our airports for being terrorist.

Jonathan

What is a real lack of common sense is asking an 80 year old white grandmother from Iowa to go through a second security check.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
timb
First Class Passenger
Member # 5901

posted 01-09-2007 11:54 AM      Profile for timb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:

What is a real lack of common sense is asking an 80 year old white grandmother from Iowa to go through a second security check.

I makes perfect sense. It prevents other people of Middle Eastern decent from complaining about profiling

[ 01-09-2007: Message edited by: timb ]

Posts: 437 | From: S FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 01-09-2007 01:52 PM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Until you read about Nezar Hindawi.

If you don't know about Hindawi, it's worth finding out. Nobody should be above suspicion.

Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 01-09-2007 02:19 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by timb:

I makes perfect sense. It prevents other people of Middle Eastern decent from complaining about profiling

[ 01-09-2007: Message edited by: timb ]

The problem is that Arab Middle Eastern men are NOT profiled. In our politically correct society, the TSA would sooner pull a 90 year old white woman from Kansas out of line for a secondary screening and let a 'Middle Eastern looking' 20 year old man through. It is all about odds and the odds on favorite at THIS TIME is that the Middle Eastern looking man (or woman) could be a possible problem-sad but true. I have a girlfriend-a second generation US born Lebanese-American (just like TV star Danny Thomas ) and she gets the odd second TSA check. She accepts it because she understands that not all Arabs are terrorists but ALL the terrorists on 9/11 were Arab Muslims.

First Class Passenger
Member # 5115

posted 01-09-2007 08:54 PM      Profile for 6263866   Email 6263866   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PHEW!
Well, I still question why someone would place explosives on a cruise ship? I say this because their goal would have to be trying to cripple the cruising economy and not to cause a high amount of casualties.

Posts: 580 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cunardcoll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1226

posted 01-10-2007 06:38 AM      Profile for Cunardcoll   Author's Homepage   Email Cunardcoll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
what they say about machines sometimes giving false alarms , that's NOT true , it's impossible to give false on those machines , if it's twice positive there is something , believe me.

Jochen

Posts: 947 | From: Belgium | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 01-10-2007 07:40 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What machines are they using for this though? There are some about which use 'density detection' [if that's the right description?] rather than sniffing for chemicals, as they are the ones which caused scares over some cheeses, chocolate, cakes etc thinking they were explosives, and the cause of not being able to take Christmas Cakes on planes a couple of years back. [The Christmas Cake thing was in the US.. perhaps different detection systems or upgraded since then?].

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 01-10-2007 07:45 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cunardcoll:
what they say about machines sometimes giving false alarms , that's NOT true , it's impossible to give false on those machines , if it's twice positive there is something , believe me.

Jochen

First - we do not know which 'machines' we are talking about.

Second - there can be false alarm.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 01-10-2007 02:16 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 6263866:
PHEW!
Well, I still question why someone would place explosives on a cruise ship? I say this because their goal would have to be trying to cripple the cruising economy and not to cause a high amount of casualties.

It is all about scaring people and if a few innocents get killed in the process all the better in the terrorists minds. If a terrorsits was successful w/an attack on a cruise ship, it would cause a small decline in bookings for several months. If a ship(s) had to be laid up that would really be a surprise as the lines would rather heavily discount their cruises and send the ships out full.

Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 01-10-2007 02:35 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

If a ship(s) had to be laid up that would really be a surprise as the lines would rather heavily discount their cruises and send the ships out full.

That proved true after 9/11--people were afraid to travel anywhere, and the cruise industry suffered. But once the cruise lines lowered rates to unbelievably low fares, people decided to risk their lives and go after all!

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 01-10-2007 06:44 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remember a while back when those terrorist off somalia attacked the seabourn ship that thing got hit with a rocket propelled granade that didnt even do any damage but get imbeted into the steel. Also i think think terrorist would really understand the schematics of a ship to successfully destory it there are weak and strong spots and i dont think they could find where those spots are. But i still laugh when i see that movie/picture of the terrorist attacking the ship in their small dingy holding sticks lol.

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 01-10-2007 06:51 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Remember a while back when those terrorist off somalia attacked the seabourn ship that thing got hit with a rocket propelled granade that didnt even do any damage but get imbeted into the steel.

Luck - hitting a window or other weaker parts of the ship would have causes severe damage.

Also i think think terrorist would really understand the schematics of a ship to successfully destory it there are weak and strong spots and i dont think they could find where those spots are. [...]
[/QUOTE]

Not all terrorists are stupid.

Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 01-10-2007 07:58 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah but still flying a plane into a building or the ground etc. isnt that hard but a ship is more complex than an airplane.

Jonathan

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 01-10-2007 08:07 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah but still flying a plane into a building or the ground etc. isnt that hard but a ship is more complex than an airplane.

Jonathan

Whether a ship or a plane is more complex system is certainly an interesting discussion. Anyhow - flying a plane into a building is not as easy as it might seem.

The point is that ships are also vulnerable and there are enough crazy people out there making it necessary to be vigilant. There is no reason to panic but one should not play it down either.

Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 01-10-2007 08:40 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah... But when i sail on a ship i feel a lot safer than i do flying in an airplane. Atleast i know if i ship got attacked we could all get off and into the boats where as on a plane its either gain back control or crash. Also when i walk through port security and ship security it seems a little more stepped up than in the airports. But that all is just MO.

Jonathan

[ 01-10-2007: Message edited by: Jonathan ]

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 01-10-2007 09:16 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ships are of course very safe. (not that planes are unsafe)
Nevertheless ships are of course also vulnerable. The situations is of course VERY different compared to a plane - and there are also other completely different scenarios than the attack on the Seabourn ships.

Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 01-11-2007 04:17 AM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
... but ALL the terrorists on 9/11 were Arab Muslims.
What about all the terrorists since then? Have they all been Arab Muslims?

Come on, it's time to get real.

Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 01-11-2007 04:22 AM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
But when i sail on a ship i feel a lot safer than i do flying in an airplane. Atleast i know if i ship got attacked we could all get off and into the boats where as on a plane its either gain back control or crash.
Unfortunately, feeling safe has got little to do with being safe.

On 10 September 2001 we all felt perfectly safe, even if we were flying. On 12 September 2001 we were all feeling very insecure and anxious, whatever we were doing. Yet it is certain that on 12 September we were in fact safer than we had been two days earlier.

It is not difficult to imagine a type of attack on a cruise ship which could kill or seriously injure a large proportion of the people on board. And after which the ship might simply be isolated and not allowed to dock or unload. Just because terrorists crash aircraft, it doesn't mean that they'd attack a ship by crashing it.

That sort of thinking is simply fighting the last battle, not anticipating the next one.

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 01-11-2007 07:08 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Globaliser:

Come on, it's time to get real.

The vast majority still are. A sad fact.

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 01-11-2007 07:18 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Globaliser:

I hear the next wave will be big blonde amazon Swedes in bikinis.

jsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 3816

posted 01-12-2007 01:37 AM      Profile for jsea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy: The vast majority still are. A sad fact.
I'm still kinda perplexed about who needs to 'get real'...

Posts: 644 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.