- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Queen Anne, the 249th ship to sail under the Cunard flag, set sail just after 9 pm local time as thousands of spectators gathered on the shores to watch the departure from vantage points across the city and along Southampton water. Guests on board the 3,000-guest, 113,000-ton ship are set to enjoy a spectacular sail away party, with celebrations continuing throughout...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. today reported financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2024 and provided guidance for the second quarter and full year 2024. First Quarter 2024 Highlights: Generated total revenue of $2.2 billion, a 20% increase compared to the same period in 2023 on 8% capacity growth, with GAAP net income of $17.4 million, or EPS of $0.04...

Latest News...The countdown is on for the next big thing coming to vacations, the ultimate short getaway: Royal Caribbean International’s Utopia of the Seas is almost ready for its debut. Starting today, the next in the lineup of game-changing Oasis Class ships is making its way to the open ocean for the first time to begin five days of testing....

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Celebrity Cruises Cancels Offensive Advertisement

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Celebrity Cruises Cancels Offensive Advertisement
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 10-09-2006 06:41 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From Celebrity:

After canceling an advertisement that offended many Hawaiians and acknowledging its poor judgment in running it, Celebrity Cruises today accepted an offer from the Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau (HVCB) to provide cultural training for its marketing staff.

In a letter sent to the company over the weekend, HVCB President and CEO John Monahan said, "It's likely that this advertisement may have been created and approved by Celebrity Cruises due to a lack of understanding of Hawaii's society, history and traditions. If so, HVCB will be pleased to make arrangements to help educate your marketing staff about our islands."

HVCB has put Celebrity in contact with the Native Hawaiian Hospitality Association to provide cultural values and awareness training.

Dan Hanrahan, Celebrity Cruises president, reiterated the company's regret over the insensitivity of the company's ads, which depicted the King Kamehameha statue holding a champagne glass.

"We are deeply sorry that our ads offended so many people," Hanrahan said. "It was certainly never our intention to be disrespectful to the people of Hawaii, and we sincerely regret any concerns that were raised by our indiscretion."

Celebrity announced it will publish ads in two of Hawaii's major newspapers this week to make its apology to the Hawaiian people more public.

The original ads, which Celebrity immediately pulled after learning of their unintended effect, had appeared recently in several travel-agent publications.

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-09-2006 07:03 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I also have little understanding of Hawaii's society, history and traditions. Who is King Kamehameha?
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 10-09-2006 07:43 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow Celebrity is sailing on rough seas. First it was the press release, now the ad....
Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 10-09-2006 08:08 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm, if as a Brit you were offended by Not the Nine O'Clock news, you may be offended as a native Hawaiian of this ad.. [pictures of which are all over the net].

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 10-09-2006 09:40 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's what the ad looked like:

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 10-10-2006 10:41 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm,
FYI,
www.americaslibrary.gov/cgi-bin/page.cgi/aa/kamehameh

Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-10-2006 10:52 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ah, thanks for the info. So I assume that he was a Teetotaller?
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 10-10-2006 11:49 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here in the States the only safe target to poke fun at is the white American male. Everyone else is off limits.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 10-10-2006 11:50 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This sort of sensitivity always astonishes me. But there again I'm someone who's from one of the dominant cultures on the planet (as are most of us here). I suppose that for native Hawaiians, or indeed anyone whose culture is under serious threat, this sort of thing is taken more seriously - everything must be vigorously defended.

I'm just wondering if there is any figure in British history who we'd get upset about if they were shown with a drink in their hand: Churchill?, no, too life-like; The Queen? - not really, we'd all grab a glass as well and drink her health; the Queen Mother? - definitely realistic!; Florence Nightingale? - now there's a woman who could have done with a drink; Queen Victoria? - with all those children she must have had more than an occasional tipple? Nelson? - the Royal Navy has always drunk itself silly, it's one of the 'traditions of the service'; Tony Blair? - nah, that one isn't believable....

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 10-10-2006 01:05 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's why I mentioned Not the 9 o'clock news Tom.. somewhere in the series there are some not very flattering poses of QE, Charles etc and there are endless images of the Statue of Liberty holding various objects and in all sorts of poses about; I don't recall anyone getting upset and offended. I see nothing in that advert apart from a suggestion it may be nice to visit Hawaii and enjoy a drink [which doesn't have to be alcoholic or of any type in particular].. the fuss over it however, puts one off if people are to be so sensitive and one has to pussyfoot around being careful not to inadvertently upset anyone.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mec1
First Class Passenger
Member # 4287

posted 10-10-2006 02:39 PM      Profile for mec1   Author's Homepage   Email mec1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good grief - the Hawaiians clearly aren't blessed with a sense of humour are they...
Posts: 1675 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-10-2006 02:41 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This story is nothing new:

[ 10-12-2006: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 10-10-2006 03:57 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mec1:
Good grief - the Hawaiians clearly aren't blessed with a sense of humour are they...

I guess they have to much time on their hands living in paradise.

Hawaii is a very special place though some have a love/hate relationship w/the mainland. In some ways it is like living on the mainland w/a crowded freeway (in Honolulu at least), high rise apartments, lovely prewar neighborhoods that are copies of older L.A. and San Francisco neighborhoods right down to the Spanish revival, Craftsman etc. architecture. Another way the two are joined is that much of the sand on the famous Waikiki Beach was actually transported from Santa Monica, California on barges before the war to cover the rocks! The islands are an amazing destination w/the best sites off the main tourist routes.

Sailing Jon
Just Boarded
Member # 7577

posted 10-10-2006 07:51 PM      Profile for Sailing Jon   Email Sailing Jon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Another way the two are joined is that much of the sand on the famous Waikiki Beach was actually transported from Santa Monica, California on barges before the war to cover the rocks!"

First time poster but long time lurker. Ironically, they still import much of their sand from San Diego with numerous barges per year going out.

Posts: 3 | From: San Diego | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 10-10-2006 10:01 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Welcome Sailing Jon, I knew that little sand 'factoid' would get some sort of comment.
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 10-10-2006 10:29 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by joe at travelpage:
Here's what the ad looked like:

I never got a chance to see the advert. Any chance it's still out there?

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 10-11-2006 10:16 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You NEVER say "Back in the States"when refering to the mainland while in Hawaii. They are a state #50!! With NCL now offering cruises there it is a great area to visit. Kauii is my favorite island. It has so much to offer. Fern Grotto, Waimhea Canyon,Princeville,wettest place on Earth with over 700 inches of rain/yr in the mountains ,very diverse climates and so on . A lot of movies are shot there eg. South Pacific,Raiders of the Lost Ark(river scene at the begining of the movie).
Oahu (Honolulu) is very crowded,the Polynesian Cultural Center is a great attraction.
There are a LOT of Japanese tourists there,not too many in one place however--Pearl Harbor!!
If you do decide to visit, the Macadamia nut farm on the Big Island is a treat-Yummy!
Be aware some cruise lines use Hawaii as a transition between the Carribean and Alaska-Spring and Fall.
This may be alright for those who like 4-5 days at sea when leaving from Ensenada or Vancouver during the transition.
I recommend the flight up and back(IMHO) as the days at sea are usually cold and windy.
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 10-11-2006 12:17 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I gew up in Hawaii and the native Hawaiians are always getting upset by something.... I don't find the ad offensive.... Then again, to most people around here, the cruise industry can *never* do anything wrong.... P.S. Have never heard the bit about the sand...would like some proof....now THAT I find more insulting....

[ 10-11-2006: Message edited by: CGT ]

Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 10-11-2006 01:21 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CGT:
P.S. Have never heard the bit about the sand...would like some proof....now THAT I find more insulting....

If you look at the islands untouched beaches many are volcanic rock or ground down volcanic rock or black sand. The big Islands are nearly all rock except for the ones remade w/sand brought from other areas (California). My dad told me about it years ago after he saw huge barges lined up w/sand in Honolulu in the 1950s. The sand was being used to 'build' beaches for new resorts then under construction. Many years later a Hawaiian man I met explained the process to me while I was on vacation on Maui in the 1980s. There are a few beached such as Makena on Maui that have pure white sand but that apparently is not common to the islands.

linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 10-11-2006 05:16 PM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This just adds to the many reasons why I could care less about going to Hawaii,....

Perhaps all the whiners should raise two or three glasses of bubbly,.....it might just relax 'em a bit.

-Russ

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 10-11-2006 07:24 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy: If you look at the islands untouched beaches many are volcanic rock or ground down volcanic rock or black sand. The big Islands are nearly all rock except for the ones remade w/sand brought from other areas (California). My dad told me about it years ago after he saw huge barges lined up w/sand in Honolulu in the 1950s. The sand was being used to 'build' beaches for new resorts then under construction. Many years later a Hawaiian man I met explained the process to me while I was on vacation on Maui in the 1980s. There are a few beached such as Makena on Maui that have pure white sand but that apparently is not common to the islands.
Sorry lasuvidaboy, but " If you look at the islands untouched beaches many are volcanic rock or ground down volcanic rock or black sand." is patently false. With the exception of the famed Black Sand Beaches on the island of Hawai'i (known as "The Big Island") the natural sand color of the Hawaiian islands is beige/white.

Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
timb
First Class Passenger
Member # 5901

posted 10-11-2006 09:13 PM      Profile for timb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by linerguy:
This just adds to the many reasons why I could care less about going to Hawaii,....

Perhaps all the whiners should raise two or three glasses of bubbly,.....it might just relax 'em a bit.

-Russ

There was a time when I thought it would be nice to visit but it wasn't my first choice of somewhere to go but I had no clue. My company sent my wife and I on an all expense paid trip to the big island for a week and all I can say is until you have been there and experienced it there is no way to know what you are missing. The different climates and scenery you experience just driving from one side of the island to the other is sureal. Well worth a trip in my opinion ship or not

Posts: 437 | From: S FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 10-13-2006 09:40 AM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Timb:

I'm sure Hawaii is fantastic. Truth is, I'm not all that into tropical destinations and the Polynesian culture and reported feel of Hawaii simply leaves me cold. I'd rather romp around some castle in Ireland or go back to Versailles.

Like I said, it's just not my cup o' tea. Perhaps someday I'll go and come back with a different outlook,...but there's about a hundred places I'd rather see first.

-Russ

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 10-13-2006 09:58 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I may put on my geologist's hat for a second. The Hawaian islands are all volcanic. Therefore their entire "sandscape," so to speak,is made up either of ground up volcanic rock, caused by wave action; volcanic ash directly ejected into the air, or washed to the coats by rains and the a few small rivers. Add to that, coral sands, from a few fringing and a barrier reefs. And that is it!

Unlike the atols around and about, Hawaii, as a whole, has a significant sand deficit. I would not be surprised in the slightest if it was necessary to import sands to resorts where beaches are sand-deficient.

There is one sure way to tell. The contents of sands are a signature of origin. During World War II, I know of a geologist, now long deceased, who was able to determine the location from which Japanese balloon bombs, were launched on the prevailing westerly winds toward the United States. He analyzed the sand in their ballast pouches, and determined where in Japan, that particular mix of sand particles and associated minerals could be found. The site was subsequently bombed, and the attacks ceased.

He is no longer available to analyze the sands of Waikiki but others are probably available. The truth will then out!

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 10-13-2006 10:32 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great Story Cambodge,

I was in Hawaii for 2.5 weeks in 1993. Honolulu is Miami Beach with a 10 hour longer flight from the East Coast. Oahu further away is far more interesting. On a gallery visit in Haleiwa[sp] I saw a painting I liked and asked about it the woman replied "That is from an artist from GreeenWitch Village, New York. I did NOT correct her pronunciation.

The other islands are far more interesting. Kauai is beautiful with rain forests, frontier architecture and the Napali coast.

Maui is a tourist trap but the drive up to the 10,000' elevation Haleakela crater is magnifico and looks like the moon.

The Big Island is my favorite with the black sand beaches. It was great to have lunch at Kiluea Culdera and watch lava flow out. The Island has 12 of the world's 13 climate zones including snow at Mouna Kea. Everywhere you drive the scenery and fauna change every 10 miles. Hilo is a charming frontier untouristed town. Kona is beautiful and looks Carribean. The north side of the island looks like rural Pennsylvania.

My advice is stay in Wakiki for one day and travel to the outer islands.

[ 10-13-2006: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.