- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Oceania Cruises today announced its newest ship Allura will enter service one week earlier than scheduled. Due to join the fleet in summer 2025, her inaugural sailing will now depart Trieste, Italy, on July 18, 2025, cruising six days to Athens, Greece, calling at gems in the Eastern Mediterranean including Rijeka, Croatia; Ravenna, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; and Kotor, Montenegro...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line expects Carnival Pride to resume sailing from the Port of Baltimore on May 26, continuing the cruise line’s year-round homeport schedule.Carnival Pride is expected to arrive in Baltimore on May 26, following a week-long cruise that embarked in Norfolk, Va., where Carnival temporarily moved its Baltimore operations after the collapse of the Key Bridge...

Latest News...For the first time ever, Celebrity Edge, the ship that introduced the revolutionary outward-facing design, calls Alaska home for the summer. Today, Celebrity Edge will embark on her maiden sailing roundtrip from Seattle on a seven-night Dawes Glacier itinerary with stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Through its unique outward facing design, Celebrity Edge will offer guests...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » HAL to rework their brand image (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: HAL to rework their brand image
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 03-23-2003 04:47 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have in under good authority that Holland America Line is in the process of reworking their brand image. HAL will have a completely new website created and all their brochures will have a completely different new look. The trend HAL has been taking in recent years is to project an image that they are very "family" oriented, and that the average age of HAL passengers is a yonger crowd than years ago. HAL has / had an image of floating rest homes, with all the conservative & dedicated HAL passengers that would not cruise any other line.

I may be able to get a sneak peek at the new look before any other media so stay tuned.

Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
empressport
First Class Passenger
Member # 2511

posted 03-23-2003 05:38 PM      Profile for empressport     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmm, a bit strange. I'm not sure their existing senior clientele will be pleased about a bunch of screaming kids running around. Maybe Carnival will attempt to move the older clientele over to Cunard.
Posts: 464 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ðraikar
First Class Passenger
Member # 1153

posted 03-23-2003 05:53 PM      Profile for Ðraikar   Email Ðraikar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What will the older people cruise on if HAL makes a new image of being a younger cruise line ? Will there funnel logo change too ?
Posts: 1710 | From: USA, New York | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 03-23-2003 06:04 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As a 'dedicated HAL' traveller, your relevations are eagerly anticipated Barryboat...................
Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 03-23-2003 07:20 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, but is this really new news. Didn't they try this with the Zaandam - that is go after the younger set - when they had the Olsen Twins christen the ship?
I also think this was in the back of their minds when they brought out the Zuiderdam - cater to the younger generation.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Dolphins
First Class Passenger
Member # 2043

posted 03-23-2003 09:14 PM      Profile for Dolphins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. HAL has established a very successful niche in the cruise industry. How do you improve on the "Tradition of Excellence." Why discount a loyal mature following to become a clone of all the other cruise lines? There is a huge baby boomer generation reaching retirement age who will be seeking a more restrained cruising environment.
Posts: 324 | From: Commack, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 03-23-2003 09:44 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dolphins:
Why discount a loyal mature following to become a clone of all the other cruise lines? There is a huge baby boomer generation reaching retirement age who will be seeking a more restrained cruising environment.

HAL does need to change to appeal to that particular generation you speak of. Regardless of whether they are reaching retirment age and may want to move beyond Carnival, they still don't want "their father's HAL", which is why a lot of them seem to prefer Celebrity.

Personally I think the HAL brand image has become a bit fragmented of late - they seem to want to be too many things in one. Brands have to evolve. HAL is not the same thing that they were in 1873 and I imagine most of their current "mature" customers are quite glad of that.

The "Tradition of Excellence" brand is 20 years old this year... It could at least use a refreshing.

We got the tickets for our first HAL cruise a few weeks ago and they look a little dated and mismatched. Different color schemes, typefaces, etc. all over the place. It's time for something a little more cohesive.

And what about slogans - the "Traditon of Excellence" slogan has slowly disappeared since the mid 1990s and is not often found very many places. It was semi-replaced by the silly "It's time" of that era and then about two or three years ago they had "Oceans Apart" which I rather like but which disappeared too. Now there really is none. Their TV ads, print ads, brochures, etc. do not seem to be conveying much of an image. With the exception of the core loyal HAL clientele, the brand seems to be fading rapidly into oblivion.

I doubt that HAL will abandon their history, their signature logo, etc. The HAL logo dates back to 1938 and it would be foolish for them to dump it. HAL's history and tradition is a great asset and shouldn't only appeal to their "mature" audience. But I am not surprised that they're making a few changes. The reality is, they're going to have to start attracting younger people sooner or later. Their "mature" audience is quite literally shrinking, and the newly "maturing" baby boomers do not necessarily have the exact same taste as HAL's previous core audience - literally, their parents. Some tweaking is obviously in order here.

I think that this new "brand image" will probably turn out to be less radical and less displeasing to the HAL loyals than everyone predicts. HAL has been "isolating their customers" for decades now, yet they've never actually isolated their customers. I doubt that a new web site and a freshened "look" for printed materials etc. is going to send the loyal mature following away in droves. I doubt that HAL will suddenly go with the "Las Vegas" image of Carnival, the "it's not a cruise" image of RCCL, or the NCL "Freestyle" image.

So, I say, give it a chance, we don't even know what they're doing and not all change is bad.

Posts: 4730 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
BTF
First Class Passenger
Member # 2024

posted 03-23-2003 09:46 PM      Profile for BTF        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe but HAL has tried before to rework its image to cater to a younger, more hip audience before but with a notable lack of success. After the Zaandam, the latest attempt was the Zuiderdam which according to many reports appears less successful in appealing to its existing clientale. In fact HAL must be doing something right in that it has one of the highest repeater rates in the cruise business and many of its clients are very loyal to the brand with its more refined, toned down appeal and ``tradition of excellence``. Why mess with success.
Posts: 287 | From: Ottawa, Ont. Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 03-23-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Barry,

This is pretty much old news. HAL has slowly been morphing their image in an attempt to re-brand for several years now; just as Cadillac has over the past few years.

Mark Kammerman has made great progress in the short period he has been at teh marketing reins slowly imparting a more contemporary, slightly more "experiential" feel that should appeal to the younger set. This all goes hand in hand with the introduction of Zuider, Ooster and Wester-dams.

And yes, HAL is slowly gaining a lot of recognition among family, they hosted two RSVP cruises and I hear that RSVP wants to do more than two next year and that Atlantis has found the Vista Class quite appealing. Who says bigger isn't better!

--Tim, with "Promise", "Sunseeker" and "Bottom Line" outside my bedroom window in Fort Lauderdale

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 03-24-2003 07:41 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cruiseny
quote:
We got the tickets for our first HAL cruise a few weeks ago and they look a little dated and mismatched. Different color schemes, typefaces, etc. all over the place. It's time for something a little more cohesive.

What the devil are you talking about? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the tickets. I got mine a few weeks ago and they are certainly a lot better than what HAL used to send us back in the '80's and early 90's. What different colours, schemes and typefaces? I don't see any different colours. Some typeface is in bold, sure, but what do you mean by schemes? And really what difference does it make about the tickets - are you going to keep them in a scrapbook after your cruise?

For your information HAL only started using this form of tickets in the last couple of years, so how could they be outdated?

And how many curise lines send their tickets, etc. in a nice blue leather folder.? None, that I have heard of.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
gizmo
First Class Passenger
Member # 972

posted 03-24-2003 08:07 AM      Profile for gizmo   Email gizmo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with If it isn't Broken, Don't Fix It. Look at the number of repeat cruisers.

Cruiseny,

What is your problem with the tickets? Out dated, Mismatched? Your statement is ridiculous.
As Sympatico said "Who else sends them in nice leather folders?

How do you know what baby boomers want?

Posts: 686 | From: Kennesaw Ga. (origianlly from Philly) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
RuthPerk
First Class Passenger
Member # 1609

posted 03-24-2003 08:21 AM      Profile for RuthPerk   Email RuthPerk   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cruiseny,

As a Graphics Artist, I find nothing wrong with the HAL tickets. They have several nice watermarks behind the text, the font is concise and easy to read, and the color scheme is very aesthetic and soothing.

We will be taking our 3rd cruise with HAL in less than 2 weeks. This is the only line we have cruised onmore than once. Obviously, they must be doing something right to have the high number of repeat passengers that they do..........

Posts: 329 | From: Victor, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
nathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 720

posted 03-24-2003 09:39 AM      Profile for nathan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gizmo:
I agree with If it isn't Broken, Don't Fix It. Look at the number of repeat cruisers.

As Sympatico said "Who else sends them in nice leather folders?

Cunard also sends their tickets in nice leather folders.

Posts: 534 | From: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 03-24-2003 10:10 AM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is the reality- HAL is a growing, expanding cruise line... they are building new ships and adding capacity rapidly... with that kind of growth they will need to appeal to a wider client base.

So, I don't fault HAL for trying to draw families and younger cruisers. My guess is that HAL will push their Caribbean and Alaskan products to the younger people- while their more exotic itineraries and globe-trotting ships like Prinsendam and Rotterdam will draw the old faithful. HAL is a large enough line, with a variety of ships, that can appeal to both the old and new target markets.

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 03-24-2003 10:56 AM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tickets...

The tickets themselves are actually very nice. I am more referring to things like the shore excursion books, which do not match the "know before you go" book, which do not match the brochures, and so on and so forth.

There's nothing wrong with the tickets, I was just using them as an example of how HAL printed materials don't seem to match very well...

billee
First Class Passenger
Member # 1133

posted 03-24-2003 12:00 PM      Profile for billee   Author's Homepage   Email billee   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey cruiseny: As usual, you're generating some good posts. Don't take another "vacation."
Posts: 159 | From: Baltimore, MD USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 03-24-2003 12:11 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cruiseny - I would strongly suggest that you embark on your Zuiderdam cruise WITH A VERY OPEN MIND, if that is possible, before commenting further on HAL. Remember that you are being taken on a vacation - normally considered a time for fun and relaxation.

That all documents, packaging etc. are not colour co-ordinated is of no importance and should in no way detract from the experience. For the record, I've no complaints about it.

Perhaps in addition to you own, you will share with us the reactions and observations of your parents.

Try to have fun..............

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 03-24-2003 12:17 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cruiseny:
Tickets...

The tickets themselves are actually very nice. I am more referring to things like the shore excursion books, which do not match the "know before you go" book, which do not match the brochures, and so on and so forth...

What do you mean by "do not match"? Each of the documents in the package - "shore excursion" and "know before you go booklet" - are designed for a different purpose.

I think it would be more confusing for the traveler if they all looked the same. Do you want the imigration forms and customs declarations to match as well?

In general, I think HAL's packaging is very consistent with the overall product they are marketing and the expectation of their clients.

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
sail7seas
First Class Passenger
Member # 1550

posted 03-24-2003 12:33 PM      Profile for sail7seas     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We received our most recent docs last week and I think they are fine, just the way they are. The presentation is orderly, everything is neatly accessible and the leatherette wallet is always a nice presentation.

cruiseny....hope you have a great cruise. You have micro-analyzed everthing re: HAL on the Boards but have yet to be on an HAL ship. Certainly you aren't claiming to have an open mind?

cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 03-24-2003 01:05 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think everyone is making too big a deal of this... I'm just saying that there is no common graphic design used throughout all HAL printed materials, advertising, etc.

Take a look at Royal Caribbean's - everything matches. Mind you, I think a lot of their stuff is not well-designed at all, but it matches .

Anyhow this is obviously not a big issue and just an informal observation... It is hardly a priority of mine when going on a cruise. Just because I mention something doesn't mean I think it's an earth-shattering issue.

Thanks to everyone for your wishes for a good vacation... I really can't wait! I will be taking lots of photos and posting a detailed review, something I am rather new at, but I will try . At any rate I am sure we will have a great time and it will be interesting to see what HAL is like, and especially this particular ship which has caused so much heated discussion.

So far we have no complaints with HAL, and it was very nice of them to grant us Mariner status because of my father having crossed to Europe with them in 1966 when he was younger than I am! That was a surprise but they acted as though it was quite routine (maybe it is).

Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 03-24-2003 01:16 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cruiseny:
So far we have no complaints with HAL, and it was very nice of them to grant us Mariner status because of my father having crossed to Europe with them in 1966 when he was younger than I am! That was a surprise but they acted as though it was quite routine (maybe it is).

The bottom line is you know nothing of HAL and are therefore not in a position to comment.

cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 03-24-2003 01:22 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Green:
The bottom line is you know nothing of HAL and are therefore not in a position to comment.

About what? I'm not commenting about their onboard product which I've not experienced yet. But as I have my tickets, surely I can comment on them, and if we experienced good customer service from HAL before our cruise, surely I can comment on that?

empressport
First Class Passenger
Member # 2511

posted 03-24-2003 02:36 PM      Profile for empressport     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fairsky:
...My guess is that HAL will push their Caribbean and Alaskan products to the younger people- while their more exotic itineraries and globe-trotting ships like Prinsendam and Rotterdam will draw the old faithful...

They might, but I think it wold be a mistake and only add to brand confusion. Maybe Carnival should expand Cunard further to encompass the exotic itineraries, if they want to make HAL the family line.

Posts: 464 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 03-24-2003 02:44 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let me ask everyone this question...If you could re-work Holland America's overall brand "look", what would YOU do? HAL already had an "artsy" look recently with the Zaandam with lots of colors. What about a retro but new look that draws on the idea that HAL ships are like ocean liners NOT cruise ships. Similar to what CUNARD is doing, but with a more modern twist. Have a theme that considers HAL's past & tradition, but focuses on HAL's future.

What are some of YOUR ideas if you could pitch HAL with ideas?

Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
Ðraikar
First Class Passenger
Member # 1153

posted 03-24-2003 03:32 PM      Profile for Ðraikar   Email Ðraikar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think they need to get younger cruisers since there is more of them, have activities for the younger passengers and what ever they do they need to have a massive add campaign because without that no one will know they did anything. Also they should show the people they have a history going back and that they must have a good level of service to be around that long.... My real idea is change there funnel logo !
Posts: 1710 | From: USA, New York | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.