- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Oceania Cruises today announced its newest ship Allura will enter service one week earlier than scheduled. Due to join the fleet in summer 2025, her inaugural sailing will now depart Trieste, Italy, on July 18, 2025, cruising six days to Athens, Greece, calling at gems in the Eastern Mediterranean including Rijeka, Croatia; Ravenna, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; and Kotor, Montenegro...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line expects Carnival Pride to resume sailing from the Port of Baltimore on May 26, continuing the cruise line’s year-round homeport schedule.Carnival Pride is expected to arrive in Baltimore on May 26, following a week-long cruise that embarked in Norfolk, Va., where Carnival temporarily moved its Baltimore operations after the collapse of the Key Bridge...

Latest News...For the first time ever, Celebrity Edge, the ship that introduced the revolutionary outward-facing design, calls Alaska home for the summer. Today, Celebrity Edge will embark on her maiden sailing roundtrip from Seattle on a seven-night Dawes Glacier itinerary with stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Through its unique outward facing design, Celebrity Edge will offer guests...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » New Charges on Holland America

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Charges on Holland America
seagoingJLW
First Class Passenger
Member # 1913

posted 01-13-2003 02:32 PM      Profile for seagoingJLW   Author's Homepage   Email seagoingJLW   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We were disappointed to find that the Statendam is chargin $15 per person per meal in the Pinnaclw Restaurant when the Rotterdam does not charge in the Odyssey. Furthermore, the menu selection is extremely limited with the good steaks and seafood being served in the Pinnacle rather than the dining room.

Now my agent has informed me that HAL will be adding a surcharge to certain items on the dining room menu, such as shrimp.

What is going on?

Joan

Posts: 23 | From: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
jeffrossatsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 2962

posted 01-13-2003 03:19 PM      Profile for jeffrossatsea   Email jeffrossatsea   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
whats goin on ?......carnival...thats whats goin on....i believe that land based vacations such as "all inclusive" resorts are to be the best vacation value as cruises are charging for more and more .....jeff
Posts: 1118 | From: vancouver | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 01-13-2003 05:06 PM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think, this is the Beginning of an Crisis for Cruise Companies, which want to rip off their Passengers.

The Day will come, when they must see to fill their Ships.

Not all Cruisegoers are stupid Sheeps, more and more of them will vote BY THEIR FEET.

There are Alternatives...

Posts: 1034 | From: Gutach, Black Forest, Germany | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
HomeLines
First Class Passenger
Member # 1707

posted 01-13-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for HomeLines     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lots of nickel and diming on cruises today. Oh brother!
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 01-13-2003 05:14 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Although I have never paid for alternative dining, as a matter of principle, many passengers do!

In a recent post some cruisetalkers were singing the praises of the speciality dining rooms onboard Celebrity etc. They obviously though it was well worth the additional expense.

These charges will only hold if people pay them, and some do!

The cruise lines of course call this 'Choice'.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 01-13-2003 06:34 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seagoingJLW:
We were disappointed to find that the Statendam is chargin $15 per person per meal in the Pinnaclw Restaurant when the Rotterdam does not charge in the Odyssey. Furthermore, the menu selection is extremely limited with the good steaks and seafood being served in the Pinnacle rather than the dining room.

Now my agent has informed me that HAL will be adding a surcharge to certain items on the dining room menu, such as shrimp.

What is going on?

Joan

is right! jeffrossatsea said it -

quote:
Carnival
- reduce the upfront cost to the lowest common denominator and then add on charges for everything that relates back to what a cruise once was.

First timer cruisers may accept the add-ons, take them or leave them - seasoned cruisers (anxious for a 'good deal') will complain, conveniently forgetting that the 'deal' was 'too good to pass up' ....YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! ....... personally I'm not in favour of reducing everything to the lowest common denominator.......

I realize that my statement harks back to the 'class system' - so be it - we travel as our budget allows and, hopefully, get what we contracted for. 'All Inclusive' land resorts have their place (we've tried them) and were not impressed with fellow travellers who ate and drank themselves silly (on inferior local brew) because 'we paid for it!'.

If HAL (Carnivalized) continues to nickle and dime with add-ons, I believe many devotees will turn to other Lines.

I await the flak!

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
gizmo
First Class Passenger
Member # 972

posted 01-13-2003 06:59 PM      Profile for gizmo   Email gizmo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Did you ask where your TA got this information?

I have not seen it anywhere else.

Posts: 686 | From: Kennesaw Ga. (origianlly from Philly) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
meriflower
Just Boarded
Member # 3602

posted 01-13-2003 07:29 PM      Profile for meriflower        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We'll be sailing on the Ryndam this summer and there is a $15.00 charge for their 'specialty restaurant', the Pinnacle. Even though this will be our first cruise, I don't plan to dine in the Pinnacle as I believe that it should be included with the price I paid for the cruise. Wasn't it NCL that started this charge for specialty restaurants with their "Free-Style Cruising" a.k.a. Fee-Style Cruising.
nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 01-13-2003 09:55 PM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Meriflower I think your right! I believe the first line to charge for alternative dining was NCL (I could be wrong). Back in the early 90's they began offering alternative dining in the Le Bistro Rest. on some of thier ships. At that time the charge was just to cover the tips. Now almost everyone is charging for alternative dining. I personally have not tried or cared to try it.

I love cruising but I have to say that I am getting very tired of the nickel & diming. Just this summer I went on the Disney Cruise and they were the worst I have seen. They were selling soda mugs in the stairwell! Almost every chance they got they were selling something and keep in mind the cruise was and is NOT a bargin.

Posts: 665 | From: Westchester County, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
jeffrossatsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 2962

posted 01-14-2003 01:01 AM      Profile for jeffrossatsea   Email jeffrossatsea   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
there is a big difference between a specialty restaurant and charging for the little things for a hefty price that have always been free....even the all inclusive resorts have specialty restaurants and you DO pay for them....even more....but it's the little things that have charges on them that you would expect not to pay for.....i still love cruising and will always head out to sea.....i'll just watch for the charges and read the daily program....i always do anyways.....jeff
Posts: 1118 | From: vancouver | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ðraikar
First Class Passenger
Member # 1153

posted 01-14-2003 02:49 AM      Profile for Ðraikar   Email Ðraikar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HEY GUYS !!!

Steak and Shrimp is always expensive !!!

Ðraikar

Posts: 1710 | From: USA, New York | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dolphins
First Class Passenger
Member # 2043

posted 01-14-2003 07:51 AM      Profile for Dolphins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How about HAL dropping their popular "Passport to Fitness" program where they rewarded you for going to fitness classes? To add insult to injury they now charge you a fee to attend the fitness classes. I understand the new Zuiderdam does not have any no-fee exercise classes. They are making a big mistake because many cruise lines still offer no-fee aerobics classes.
Posts: 324 | From: Commack, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
koch
First Class Passenger
Member # 1483

posted 01-14-2003 02:30 PM      Profile for koch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
whats ur guys problem ????????
if u go on vacation in a land based hotel and book fullbord (meals included) all u get is your 3 meals a day and if its a good place maeby a snack in the afternoon. u want to eat outside the hotel restaurant u pay for it !!!!!!!!!
everyone has a certain budget to spend on vacation some more some less - if people are willing to spend extra money for special things they should have to chance to do so
if u are happy with what u get why should u spend any money for something special
what cruise lines were doing 10 years ago with supporting special orders in the regular dining room was getting too much
there were passengers they had to have their steak and shrimp cocktail every day ( properbly couldnt affor it at home) if they couldnt have they went to complain to the hotel manager
the trend was if u are bitchy enough u can get anything for free and everyone is gona bend over backwards just because u wanna be a pain in the b..
do u think the cruise lines get their products for free?????
how about all this people onboard they feel so sorry for the crew on low sallary level but do they wanna pay more for the cruise to enable the cruise line to pay them more?
especially HAL seemd to be sometimes a bit more like modern slavery where the rich mid western farmer can treat a asian employee like people used to treat their slaves a while ago - treat him like sh.. and he will still smile and do anything for u
they should sell cruises with only the cabin and charge for everything else - and u guys would realize how cheap crusing actually is compared to regular life shore side

Posts: 138 | From: all over the 7 seas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
meriflower
Just Boarded
Member # 3602

posted 01-14-2003 07:12 PM      Profile for meriflower        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The problem is not about steak and shrimp. Its about if they charge for one thing now, what will it be tomorrow? A $10 surcharge to dine in the main dining room and a $20 charge for the specialty restaurant? A fee here to pay for this a fee there to pay for that. What if at a land based hotel, if they decide to charge you for maid service? For water usage? For the 3 meals and maybe a snack?

I don't think anybody here is telling people where they should/shouldn't eat or what they should/shouldn't pay for.

Who is to blame for cruise workers low pay? I don't think its the passengers. Nor do I think it is right/polite to be rude and/or bitchy anywhere, any place to get what you want. That is not something I myself practice or try not to -- we all have our moments and I am in no way perfect!!

K&K
First Class Passenger
Member # 1040

posted 01-14-2003 09:59 PM      Profile for K&K   Email K&K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I think that Gizmo has asked the right question " " without jumping to conclusions and as you posed this same question on another board prior to here with the same return question along with some answers from posters that had just got off of HAL ships I think it might be your mission to keep the pot stirred?
Kevin

Posts: 446 | From: Sandpoint,Idaho,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
gizmo
First Class Passenger
Member # 972

posted 01-15-2003 08:05 AM      Profile for gizmo   Email gizmo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw on another board where this same subject is posted that a TA called Hal and was told them were not charging for shrimp but they were going to raise the $15.00 to $20.00. I assume that it was talking about the Pinnacle.
Posts: 686 | From: Kennesaw Ga. (origianlly from Philly) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
meriflower
Just Boarded
Member # 3602

posted 01-15-2003 08:46 AM      Profile for meriflower        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I read in my HAL Alaska cruise brochure the alternative dining room, The Pinnacle, is a reservations only, and that you will need to pay a $15 dollar cover charge. I don't know for sure if it will be on every HAL ship or not. I do know for sure that the Pinnacle is on the Ryndam. As far as to the details of what food and the quality of it the brochure did not say and that is something that a TA can find out I'm sure, if one is interested.
nathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 720

posted 01-15-2003 02:03 PM      Profile for nathan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's just remember that fee based restuarants have been around on ships for almost 100 years. White Star had them on the Olympic and Titanic. Cunard had them on the Queens, and even the QE2 had one when she debuted in '69. NCL has had them since at least the 80s.

Truth be told, the Carnival family of lines has been the most resistant to fee-based restaurants. RCI, NCL and Celebrity all had them before any Carnival line had them.

Posts: 534 | From: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 01-15-2003 03:33 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I asked a friend of mine who is in the F&B dept. on one of HAL's ships about the charge for shrimp, etc. and this is his reply.

"This is only when people want to order these items outside the menu selection". Now that's from the "horse's mouth".

I think he knows more than seagoingJLW's travel agent. She has posted this same Topic on 2 other message boards, has gotten everyone riled up, but has never come back to give us proof of what she said or answered one of the posts. Rumour, rumour, rumour - back it up, please.

As far as charging $15.00 for the Pinnacle, from all reports that I have seen and heard, the $15.00 is well worth it. I certainly plan on eating there the next time I am on a ship that has a Pinnacle restaurant.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
K&K
First Class Passenger
Member # 1040

posted 01-15-2003 11:14 PM      Profile for K&K   Email K&K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sympatico: I also contacted HAL ship services Dept. and Michele said the samething.

To me the other boards have always had alot of pot stirrers (rumor starters) and false info. One reason I have not posted and just read those boards. I now am seeing that this board has been infected by the same type and in some cases the same people. Starting rumors without backing them up, giving wrong information not bad advice but wrong information and some who post just to see their name or see how many posts they can make in a given time. This is just my opinion but I ask everyone that some of the questions asked might effect a persons decision. So please think before you post.

I feel better now thanks!
Kevin

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: K&K ]

Posts: 446 | From: Sandpoint,Idaho,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dolphins
First Class Passenger
Member # 2043

posted 01-16-2003 11:14 AM      Profile for Dolphins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Reduced quality of service for a fee? Passengers on HAL's new Zuiderdam are reporting only one fitness instructor on the entire ship (HAL's largest) and he is bored and indifferent. We have had some outstanding fitness instructors on HAL when they had their popular Passport to Fitness program and did not charge a fee. Surely, when passengers pay a new fee per class, they should expect a level of service that is at least equal to what they formerly got with no charge. The instructor scheduled a yoga class on the beach at Half Moon Cay and never showed up. The Zuiderdam was designed to attract a younger cliente to HAL. Hardly the way to do it.
Posts: 324 | From: Commack, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 01-16-2003 12:54 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Almost all of the Zuiderdam problems I have heard about have been staff related. There were some provisioning issues on the first few cruises as well.

It will be interesting to see if these are the result of normal "breaking in" of a new ship or really a sign of bigger problems.

Most of the feedback from folks who have cruised on other HAL ships seems to be positive.

Sympatico, you've been on two HAL cruises over the past few months, have things really changed that much?

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 01-16-2003 01:50 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Joe, I really didn't see that many changes on my 2 trips, other than the menus in the dining room and this didn't bother me one bit. We stopped taking those menus a long time ago. We had brought back so much memorabelia from our cruises and it kept piling up, so after Peter passed away, I started to "pitch". Why keep something you never look at.

I didn't participate in any activities on either of the cruises and I never did participate in the Fitness program. I was there for a holiday and a rest, not to work out!

The night we had lobster tails for dinner, one of our table mates had about 5 of them and no charge. I always have 2 shrimp cocktails (large shrimp) when they are offered on the menu, and have never been charged. Maybe if I had wanted them on nights that they weren't offered, I would have been charged and gladly paid. Tell me, here in the world can you get a shrimp cocktail for $3.00 - not here in Toronto.!

I really don't know why everyone is complaining - they spend thousands of dollars to go on a cruise and then crab about the price of a beer, drink, soda, $15.00-$20.00 for the Pinnacle Restaurant, etc. Everyone wants cheap, cheap fares, but still expect the high quality of food and service. Just doesn't happen people - HAL is there to make money, not lose it.

Kevin - so you've noticed her also. There's another one on another board that is stirring up a lot of trouble and also e-mailing posters who question her statements. Sad Lady!

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
DianaD
First Class Passenger
Member # 1010

posted 01-21-2003 07:34 PM      Profile for DianaD   Email DianaD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We were on the 10 day Southern Caribbean on the Volendam last week. I was very surprised that we were in no way nickle and dimed. Ice cream on the Lido deck with free, the alternative restaurant was free. We had the art sale on board but the pictures were only bought out a couple of times when they were being sold. I asked the hotel manager what the rules were on HAL with regard to bringing your own alcohol on board and he said it was discouraged but definitely not stopped. You can buy it on board and take it to your cabin. I was in a suite and had many discussions with senior officers and nothing about any extras being added to cost was ever made.
Posts: 308 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 01-21-2003 08:29 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That SAD LADY (sympatico's post) has come up with some answers on another board.

An extra charge is made if the guest requests something that is not on the dinner menu for that evening............nothing wrong with that - as has been pointed out by another poster to that board.

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.