- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » The end of an era: P&O Princess to become Carnival (UK) (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: The end of an era: P&O Princess to become Carnival (UK)
Westerdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 2093

posted 01-08-2003 11:56 AM      Profile for Westerdam   Email Westerdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
P&O Princess intends to change its name to Carnival (UK) plc at the upcoming extraordinary general meeting for shareholders. The existing brands operated by P&O Princess will not be affected by the parent company’s name change, Carnival Corp. says in a release.
Micky Arison welcomed the P&O Princess board’s recommendation of the Carnival DLC to shareholders and said he looks forward to working with Peter Ratcliffe, who will be an executive director of both companies. ‘We urge P&O Princess and Carnival shareholders to approve the DLC transaction at the forthcoming shareholder meetings, and we look forward to completion early in the second quarter of 2003,’ Arison added.

The companies will continue to be separate legal entities, with their own boards and senior management, however Carnival and P&O Princess will be managed and operated as if they were a single economic enterprise. The boards of Carnival and P&O Princess will be identical and the combined group will be managed by a single senior executive management team.

Posts: 329 | From: Waukegan, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
empressport
First Class Passenger
Member # 2511

posted 01-08-2003 12:23 PM      Profile for empressport     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very sad. Why exactly did P & O want to get out of the cruise business?
Posts: 464 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 01-08-2003 03:06 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, as things head toward the merger questions still exist- mainly, what will the new Carnival do with brands that appear to overlap one another?

For example:
P&O and Cunard (in the UK market)
Princess and HAL will compete with each other and dominate Alaska.
Aida and Costa in the German market.

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
tg_lindo
First Class Passenger
Member # 806

posted 01-08-2003 03:38 PM      Profile for tg_lindo   Email tg_lindo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Call me cynical, but the resolution to the overlapping markets will be a game plan that is meant to benefit shareholders at the expense of the employees, especially middle management, under the deceptive camouflage of increased customer value.

Have not we seen this in countless other industries? Companies merge, many people making decent middle class incomes are laid off, and the CEO gets a multi-million dollar bonus.

Posts: 349 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 01-08-2003 04:35 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Henry Ford's slogan when mass producing his 'Model T' was "you can have any colour you like, as long as it's black".

I can see the cruise industry going the same way. You can cruise on any time of ship tht you like, as long as it's a 'Vista Class'!

Still at least we will not have to worry about which cruise line or cabin layouts, standards of food and service etc., as they will all be the same!

All we will have to do is decide which 'funnel type' is right for us.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 01-08-2003 04:46 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm, you expressed exactly why I wanted P&O Princess to merge with RCI instead of Carnival- of course I would prefer no mergers at all.

I would be shocked if the next generation in hull design were not shared by HAL, Costa, Carnival, Cunard, Princess, and P&O.

K&K
First Class Passenger
Member # 1040

posted 01-08-2003 07:29 PM      Profile for K&K   Email K&K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All of you certainly could be right but.....

I do not think so as this has not been past practice with other cruise lines Carnival Corp. has consumed. They have pretty much left each line to keep their cruise product the same. Case in point they may own CCL, HAL, Costa and ect... but each has a quite different approach to cruising and offer a very different experience.
Just a thought
Kevin

Posts: 446 | From: Sandpoint,Idaho,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Šraikar
First Class Passenger
Member # 1153

posted 01-08-2003 07:47 PM      Profile for Šraikar   Email Šraikar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stupid question but dose this included P&O cruises ships as well as the Princess Ships or did P&O just sell off there Princess fleet ???

P&O is a major name and cant see how Carnival can own not just P&O cruise ships but there other cruise fleet like Aida Cruises, that just seems illegal because they would have a MONOPOLY, well almost !!!

Šraikar

Posts: 1710 | From: USA, New York | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 01-08-2003 08:17 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Šraikar
Stupid question but dose this included P&O cruises ships as well as the Princess Ships or did P&O just sell off there Princess fleet ???

P&O is a major name and cant see how Carnival can own not just P&O cruise ships but there other cruise fleet like Aida Cruises, that just seems illegal because they would have a MONOPOLY, well almost !!!

Looks like CarnivalCorp. is buying everything that P&O Princess has...even P&O. I agree that P&O is a major name and should be kept . This is kinda dumb, but couldn't they rename it to something like P&O Princess-Carnival PLC?

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 01-08-2003 08:20 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by K&K:
All of you certainly could be right but.....

I do not think so as this has not been past practice with other cruise lines Carnival Corp. has consumed. They have pretty much left each line to keep their cruise product the same. Case in point they may own CCL, HAL, Costa and ect... but each has a quite different approach to cruising and offer a very different experience.
Just a thought
Kevin

This is certainly the case with HAL, but what about Costa? Costa is becoming the Carnival of Europe, with Carnival Spirit and Destiny
Class ships parading as COSTA ATLANTICA and COSTA FORTUNA, and Joe Farcus as the head interior designer.

Even ZUIDERDAM has been receiving many negative reviews since her debut, with several people comparing her to Carnival in decor, and a
noticeable decline in services that were once HAL signatures. I'm not saying that this in itself has anything to due with the parent
company, but it might. I know Carnival Corp. CEO gave strict instructions to ZUIDERDAM designers to make the ship appear to a younger crowd, as well as the 7-day Caribbean market. There is
nothing wrong with this, but it does point out that Carnival does get involved. They are not as hands off as you might think.

One interesting story regarding Carnival's hands-off (or should I say hands-on) approach was told to me just recently on QE2. I became friends with a fellow that works in Cunard's Miami head
office. During our conversation, I enquired just how hands-off Carnival really is? Well, the reply was that during the Thanksgiving holidays, permission had to be granted from Carnival's
headquarters in another part of Miami for some of the staff to be let off early. Interesting that the execs at Cunard are not empowered to make this decision on their own. I was told that when it comes to ANYTHING dealing with revenue, Carnival had to be consulted.

Back to ships... Carnival is getting a lot of use out of the Spirit / Vista Class. This ship design is now finding it's way into three different brands (Carnival, HAL, Cunard). I wonder how long before a Vista / Spirit Class ship sails under the Princess/P&O brand? Four brands for the price of one ship, you can't beat it!

Call Carnival hands-off if you choose, but it's only up to a certain point.

Best,
Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 01-08-2003 08:24 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Šraikar:

Šraikar

The sale includes all the ships and brands under the Princess/P&O Cruises lable. Such as:

Princess Cruises
Princess Tours
P&O Cruises Australia
P&O Cruises UK
Swan Hellenic
Aida
A'Rosa
Ocean Village

Am I forgetting anything? Anyway, pretty much everything for which P&O stands for. It does not include separate P&O holdings such as Ferries, shipping, and construction.

Hope this helps,
Ernie

Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 01-08-2003 08:32 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller
The sale includes all the ships and brands under the Princess/P&O Cruises lable. Such as:

Princess Cruises
Princess Tours
P&O Cruises Australia
P&O Cruises UK
Swan Hellenic
Aida
A'Rosa
Ocean Village

Does this mean Carnival might use the Princess Tour for Carnival Cruise Line too during the Alaska season?

Just quickly photo edit this picture for fun......

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 01-08-2003 08:36 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keitaro:

Does this mean Carnival might use the Princess Tour for Carnival Cruise Line too during the Alaska season?

I would not be surprised to see some combination of Holland America Tours (Westours) and Princess Tours in Alaska. This is one area where there is a definite overlap and I would imagine all brands under the Carnival umbrella would use the same Alaska Tour Company, whatever that might eventually be called.

Ernie

[ 01-08-2003: Message edited by: eroller ]

Šraikar
First Class Passenger
Member # 1153

posted 01-09-2003 12:28 AM      Profile for Šraikar   Email Šraikar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But isn't Princess Line and P&O Line different ? Just like Carnival made Cunard and HAL separate, yea they have Costa and Carnival with Spirit Class ships but don't HAL and Cunard have there own class, Vista class ? i still don't see how there the same class

Maybe P&O and Princess will have there own class or still use the ship they already have but modified ?

I'll know if they ever remake another QM2 but for Carnival, just remember all the company's White Star Line and Cunard Line took over and then Cunard took White Star in a merge.

Šraikar

HomeLines
First Class Passenger
Member # 1707

posted 01-09-2003 01:02 AM      Profile for HomeLines     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Everyone keeps talking about how Carnival, Costa, HAL and Cunard share the same ship design (i.e. Spirit Class, Vista Class and Costa Atlantica series). Well, Princess ALREADY has these. Take a look at the hull design and deck plans of the new Coral-class ships, they are pretty much the same. That's because when the cruise lines ask for bids from each shipyard the yards copy the designs and sell them to other cruise lines. There are ALOT of similiarities between the Spirit/Vista/Atlantica-class and the Millennium-class with Celebrity and the Coral-class with Princess. All the cruise lines do is copy one another.
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 01-09-2003 01:38 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originaly posted by HomeLines
Everyone keeps talking about how Carnival, Costa, HAL and Cunard share the same ship design (i.e. Spirit Class, Vista Class and Costa Atlantica series). Well, Princess ALREADY has these. Take a look at the hull design and deck plans of the new Coral-class ships, they are pretty much the same. That's because when the cruise lines ask for bids from each shipyard the yards copy the designs and sell them to other cruise lines. There are ALOT of similiarities between the Spirit/Vista/Atlantica-class and the Millennium-class with Celebrity and the Coral-class with Princess. All the cruise lines do is copy one another.

I just looked at the Spirit/Vista Class hull design, Coral Princess, and the Millenium class ships and they look virtually the same-except fot the funnels and the rear section.

HomeLines, do you mean the yards make a copy of the design being bid on while they are bidding for the construction? I thought the Cruise Line/Corporate Company have the rights to their designs?

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: Keitaro ]

K&K
First Class Passenger
Member # 1040

posted 01-09-2003 10:37 AM      Profile for K&K   Email K&K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernie: Points well stated however I am not speaking of what hours they work or what holidays different employees get.

Try this? Take one ship (pick one you like) and then imagine that HAL, COSTA then CCL run the ship for a month each. Do you think the experience would be the same? Which month would you want to travel. Do you think that HAL will have a toga party?

Could it be possible that the reason HAL in paticular are having complaints about service is not cutbacks but inpart due to finding quality emplayees with all the new ships and not to many old ones retired the cream of the crop has already been skimmed.

Kevin

Posts: 446 | From: Sandpoint,Idaho,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 01-09-2003 05:22 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is my understanding that the COMPANY known as P&O Princess will now be called Carnival UK- but the CRUISE LINE known as P&O Cruises will retain the name P&O. Is this correct?

Now, about Carnival and their managment practices. I think it is fair to say that Carnival allows each brand to act independently regarding software (staff, proceedures, policies, cruise experience) but they certainly hold control over the hardware (ships, design, ordering, and deployment).

But here is where the problem is- by controling the hardware (ship design) they ultimately control the software (the cruise experience). The Spirit/Vista class ships have nearly identical public space layout- one huge dinning room aft- a huge theater forward- just to name a few. That limits the type of cruise product a cruise line can offer-

For example- you could never get NCL's freestyle cruise product to work on a Spirit class ship- it is not designed for it. Similarly, you cannot get a Crystal Cruise experience on a Vista class ship. Ultimately it means Carnival/Costa/HAL/Cunard's cruise experience will be more similar than if they each designed their own ships and hulls... the same fate awaits Princess and P&O.

Šraikar
First Class Passenger
Member # 1153

posted 01-09-2003 05:41 PM      Profile for Šraikar   Email Šraikar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess
Carnival/HAL/Cunard/P&O/Costa/Princess/Aida/Seabourn
is one BIG happy family

Šraikar

HomeLines
First Class Passenger
Member # 1707

posted 01-09-2003 06:50 PM      Profile for HomeLines     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keitaro:

I just looked at the Spirit/Vista Class hull design, Coral Princess, and the Millenium class ships and they look virtually the same-except fot the funnels and the rear section.

HomeLines, do you mean the yards make a copy of the design being bid on while they are bidding for the construction? I thought the Cruise Line/Corporate Company have the rights to their designs?

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: Keitaro ]

Sometimes the yards are the designers of the concept. The Spirit/Atlantica/Vista/Millennium/Coral-class ships actually come from a design that was developed at the technology unit of Kvaerner Masa Yards in Finland. They called it PanamaxMax because it's virtually the largest cruise ship you can build that is able to transit the Panama Canal. When each cruise line builds a ship they present the final design particulars to all major shipyards who bid to build the ship. In that process, shipyards learn about the core principles of the design and it is that technology that gets passed from one shipyard, one cruise line to the other. I've heard some design principles have patents so the shipyard that gets the contract to build the ship pays a licensing fee to the shipyard that designed it.

Kvaerner has a similar design, that they have offered to several cruise lines, that is a 100,000-ton ship and can transit the Canal. That ship's extra tonnage comes from it being taller by one deck I believe.

gizmo
First Class Passenger
Member # 972

posted 01-09-2003 07:26 PM      Profile for gizmo   Email gizmo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tg_lindo:
Call me cynical, but the resolution to the overlapping markets will be a game plan that is meant to benefit shareholders at the expense of the employees, especially middle management, under the deceptive camouflage of increased customer value.

Have not we seen this in countless other industries? Companies merge, many people making decent middle class incomes are laid off, and the CEO gets a multi-million dollar bonus.

Tg_lindo,

How right you are!!

Posts: 686 | From: Kennesaw Ga. (origianlly from Philly) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 01-09-2003 07:34 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Regarding the similarity in design between Spirit/Vista/Millennium/Radiance/Coral class ships-

All are PanamaxMax designs that have tall and narrow superstructures- giving them lots of balconies, tonnage between 80,000 and 90,000, and the ability to transit the canal.

Now, how did NCL/Star and Meyer Werft develop the Norwegian Star class ships? They are also able to transit the canal, are over 90,000 tons, and have lots of balconies- But these ships DO NOT have a narrow superstructure like the others? Can someone explain this?

Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 01-09-2003 08:14 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skyej
Now, how did NCL/Star and Meyer Werft develop the Norwegian Star class ships? They are also able to transit the canal, are over 90,000 tons, and have lots of balconies- But these ships DO NOT have a narrow superstructure like the others? Can someone explain this?

Actually, the Millenium Class has 1,000 more tonnage than the Star/Dawn. The length and beam of both ship is the same (965 ft, 105 ft). Also, if a ship has more enclose space, then the ship has more tonnage in contrast to another ship with the same length and beam, but with less tonnage.

HomeLines
First Class Passenger
Member # 1707

posted 01-10-2003 12:08 AM      Profile for HomeLines     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skyej:
Regarding the similarity in design between Spirit/Vista/Millennium/Radiance/Coral class ships-

All are PanamaxMax designs that have tall and narrow superstructures- giving them lots of balconies, tonnage between 80,000 and 90,000, and the ability to transit the canal.

Such a great question I had to do some research. According to the NCL brochure the Star-class is 971 feet LOA, 107' Beam and 28' draught. The Millennium-class is 965 LOA, 105' Beam and 26 draught. The answer to your question lies in the 2' greater beam (at least according to the brochure) and the 2' deeper draught (key for stability, both of them).

empressport
First Class Passenger
Member # 2511

posted 01-10-2003 02:41 AM      Profile for empressport     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So far nobody has answered the question: Why did P&O want out of the cruise business?
Posts: 464 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.