- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...The Liverpool Waterfront will be the setting for an unforgettable celebration on June 3, as iconic Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli joins a stellar line-up of performers to celebrate Queen Anne's maiden call to its spiritual home.Bocelli will be joined by an impressive line-up of Liverpool's finest talent, including the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and performers from the Liverpool..

Latest News...Oceania Cruises, the world's leading culinary- and destination-focused cruise line, has welcomed its 1,250-guest ship, Marina, back into service after undergoing an all-encompassing refurbishment, which includes the addition of three new dining options. Guests aboard Marina can now enjoy the culinary delights of Aquamar Kitchen, the new wellness-focused dining venue, which debuted to great acclaim on...

Latest News...Celebrity Cruises takes the suite life to new heights with new premium and personalized enhancements for The Retreat, providing the most elevated experience at sea. Offering more perks and amenities than ever before, The Retreat isn't just a suite. It's the most elevated experience at sea, period. "At The Retreat, the world really does revolve around our guests," said Laura Hodges Bethge..

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » AA Airbus300 New York crash

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AA Airbus300 New York crash
Paddy
First Class Passenger
Member # 357

posted 11-12-2001 12:05 PM      Profile for Paddy   Email Paddy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tragically, here we go again. Any cruise passengers likely to be on this Santo Domingo flight? It is another devastating blow for the travel industry, and whether terrorist-related or not, don't let it stop you getting on with your life.

My deepest sympathies are with all those involved,
God Bless,
Paddy.

Posts: 763 | From: Belfast, Ireland | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Marcia
First Class Passenger
Member # 1198

posted 11-12-2001 01:03 PM      Profile for Marcia   Email Marcia   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello Paddy, Yes, it is a horrible tragedy for those on board as well as families and loved ones and as usual our "wonderful" media are trying to scare everyone as much as possible. When I turned the T.V. on one was saying "We have an "eye" witness on the phone then proceded to talk to a man who was eating breakfast with his wife when they heard a sound, ran out side and saw the smoke from the fire some distance away. So much for eye witness. All they saw was smoke and a sound. He then spoke to at least half a dozen others who also heard something and then saw the smoke. But these were all eye witnesses. One said the wing fell off, one the engine fell off, one said there was a terrible explosion and another said there was NO explosion. I just wish these guys would get some facts before reporting something when they really know very little. So far there has been nothing to say that this is another terriorist attack. I greve for all involved, but will not rush out and cancel all my plans. God Bless Us, Everyone.
Posts: 101 | From: Hamilton, Oh. U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 11-12-2001 01:14 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And at the very moment I was typing my "no flying by me" posting below, this happens.

Bring the ships to ports accessible by train, and I may reconsider.

And just in case you wondere, I have flown on Air Vietnam, Royal Air Cambodge, India Airlines, and in Hueys, Chinooks, and strange transport aircraft operated by Air America, so I am no stranger to the flying machine....and I know its weaknesses too.

Q.E.D

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
titanicsteve
First Class Passenger
Member # 2142

posted 11-12-2001 02:37 PM      Profile for titanicsteve   Email titanicsteve   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree totally with you Paddy! Get on planes, visit far off lands and keep travelling!
God Bless

Posts: 510 | From: Ireland (near Titanic birthplace!!) | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
oneredwon
First Class Passenger
Member # 2300

posted 11-12-2001 10:48 PM      Profile for oneredwon        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After the Sept. 11th tragedy in the U.S. I thought a lot about cancelling our trip to the Carribbean. It wasn't so much a matter of going down in a plane or the feeling of being a sitting duck in a cruise ship. For me it was more about leaving our 2 children at home when our country was going to war. As our vacation drew nearer I became more comfortable with leaving. I'm so glad that I didn't let the tragic events change our plans. It would be a shame to see our country or the world for that matter give up on flying, going on vacations or cruises. Life is not always easy. We have to go on / move forward. If we're afraid everytime we turn a corner or board a plane how enjoyable will our life be. We need to get on with life and try to put these tragic events behind us. Peace be with us.
Posts: 23 | From: Keizer, Oregon | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
OCEANSDEVINE
First Class Passenger
Member # 2141

posted 11-13-2001 09:50 AM      Profile for OCEANSDEVINE   Email OCEANSDEVINE   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm just settling my nerves to travel again. Am set to sail on Celebrity Galaxy out of Baltimore in July to E. Carrib. The fighting in the House scares me more than the planes. I'm sure we all agree it's easy to break an airport in the US. So what is the problem guys pass the damn bill. Security was breached three times last week at Newark. Fellow travelers if you're staying home, write the letters to your representatives. How come it's so easy to give money to the airlines and difficult to make them safe?
Posts: 146 | From: NEW YORK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-13-2001 02:26 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just a little brain-storming:

I think that they need to stop designing planes with a door between the crew and passenger cabin! The flight crew could enter and exist from an external door.

O.K this would not solve the problem of bombs on board, but it would solve the problem of mid-air hijackings.

You could also simply ban hand baggage too!

I understand that some planes have bomb-resistant storage crates in their holds for baggage? This idea could be extended.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Marcia
First Class Passenger
Member # 1198

posted 11-13-2001 05:52 PM      Profile for Marcia   Email Marcia   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
O.K., now let's see. If they ban all hand luggage, does that include a woman purse? Some are as big as hand luggage. Then where do we put money, traveler's checks, passports, airline tickets, cruise documents, keys? In fact, my husband gives these things all to me because I do have a purse. Then you have "many" seniors who must carry medication. We have always been told "never" pack your medication, put it in your hand luggage. You are also told "never" to put any jewlery or camera's in your packed luggage. Now I agree that some people are taking hand luggage that is large enough for a person to crawl into, or taking two or three pieces, but lets get real. If they have to hand search a small hand luggage bag, that is fine with me. But to ban all is going to be pretty hard to do.
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 11-13-2001 09:32 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marcia:
O.K., now let's see. If they ban all hand luggage, does that include a woman purse? Some are as big as hand luggage. Then where do we put money, traveler's checks, passports, airline tickets, cruise documents, keys? In fact, my husband gives these things all to me because I do have a purse. Then you have "many" seniors who must carry medication. We have always been told "never" pack your medication, put it in your hand luggage. You are also told "never" to put any jewlery or camera's in your packed luggage. Now I agree that some people are taking hand luggage that is large enough for a person to crawl into, or taking two or three pieces, but lets get real. If they have to hand search a small hand luggage bag, that is fine with me. But to ban all is going to be pretty hard to do.

You're so right Marcia - add to your list a couple of novels, sunglasses, spare glasses, and a few other bits and pieces. My MOTH does not have hand luggage, it's all in my purse! I swear when we start a trip, my purse weighs more than my rollaboard!

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-14-2001 04:15 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
O.K., now let's see. If they ban all hand luggage, does that include a woman purse?

I was just brain-storming!

I agree that people need to carry some items onboard, but NOT suitcases and giant holdalls!. In recent years people hand luggage seems to be getting bigger and bigger. These can make the journey uncomfortable!

On BA UK internal flights they weigh/measure hand luggage. If its too big they take it away and send it to thge cargo hold!

All bags and purses are X-rayed.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 11-14-2001 07:31 AM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Back to the subject:

The A300 just sort of fell apart!! According to preliminary readouts from the tape, and a few witnesses, first the tail stabilizer fell of, followed by BOTH engines!

Sorta gives you confidence in the design - or maintenance, does it not?

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
scorpio
First Class Passenger
Member # 1245

posted 11-14-2001 09:05 AM      Profile for scorpio     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It amazes me how some of these aircraft are allowed to fly - especially when Concorde was banned after just one incident; but Concorde was NOT an American-built plane.
Posts: 92 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-14-2001 09:56 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scorpio:
...but Concorde was NOT an American-built plane.

As far as I'm aware all Airbuses are built by a European consortium. Concord is of course Anglo-French.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-14-2001 10:07 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cambodge:
The A300 just sort of fell apart!! Sorta gives you confidence in the design - or maintenance, does it not?

I read in the newspaper that the engines were "DESIGNED" to fall off, if necessary - which will give the faint hearted even less confidence!

Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 11-14-2001 10:36 AM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another bit of tragic news - it was reported in the appers today, that one of the passengers who perished was actually a survivor or the WTC attack. And then one of the people who did survive the attack, lost his wife and 3 year old child in the plane crash - what a wicked twist of fate life can deal in such a short period of time!

I am flying on Friday to Banff for a conference and this will be my first flight since 11 Sept. - am curious to see what it's going to be like

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Jekyll ]

Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marcia
First Class Passenger
Member # 1198

posted 11-14-2001 02:34 PM      Profile for Marcia   Email Marcia   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last nights news, a T.V. station in Cincinnati did a "behind the scene's" report from CVG airport. The screening of passengers is going well, but it showed the employee's who clean and stock the plane's having no screening. Then they put in an Xray machine for them to go thru and they just walk around it. The supervisor didn't like the buzzing all the time. That is just great. When asked for a statement, no comment was the usual answer. If the airlines want their passengers back, they had better shape up.
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 11-14-2001 05:03 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
..... report from CVG airport. The screening of passengers is going well, but it showed the employee's who clean and stock the plane's having no screening. Then they put in an Xray machine for them to go thru and they just walk around it. The supervisor didn't like the buzzing all the time. That is just great........If the airlines want their passengers back, they had better shape up.

That tit-bit does not make me a happy flyer!

That an 'accident' of such magnitude could happen 3 minutes into the flight is very upsetting and hard to believe - that it was an AA flight somehow makes it worse. I wonder if mechanics and other technical people are screened - perhaps they should be 'on camera' as they work.

My heart goes out to the families of those who died.

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-14-2001 07:14 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Green:
That an 'accident' of such magnitude could happen 3 minutes into the flight is very upsetting and hard to believe...

Assuming it was a mechanical failure(?), it is the take off and landing that is the risky part of the flight.

OCEANSDEVINE
First Class Passenger
Member # 2141

posted 11-15-2001 07:24 PM      Profile for OCEANSDEVINE   Email OCEANSDEVINE   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well first they blamed the birds. Now not the birds. Then the said "wake turbulence". Hello, couldn't that happen to all planes then? Shouldn't there then be a long period of time between planes? Or do they think we are stupid? How about this -- the plane was due for a complete checkup and was a hunk of junk after the checkup. This baby was flying since l988 and we all know how the fly them to death. Unlike ships where you can see that it's time for re-fitting. I sailed on one of my favorites the Regal Empress and it was time for new carpets, new beds and Lord knows what else. But if a plane doesn't look physically sick don't check it. Hope the airline industry is completely overhauled and it's certainly long overdue. Fly for a profit and the birds fly much better. I like ships.
Posts: 146 | From: NEW YORK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paddy
First Class Passenger
Member # 357

posted 11-21-2001 03:26 PM      Profile for Paddy   Email Paddy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I gotta disagree with you Oceansdivine. You can be on a ship with beautiful thick carpets, comfortable beds, not a thing out of place, and seemingly immaculate. Having said that the hull could be completely rotten, the engines likely to go up in flames any second, and the thing may go down without warning. Conversely, you may step aboard a plane, broken coffee maker, surly cabin crew, ripped curtains at the galley, broken seat-back tables etc. but it may be technically flawless. You can never tell, and age has very little to do with aircraft safety, or ships for that matter. Airlines today are still operating with Boeing 727s from 1963, 737s from 67, and older. Its usually down to aircraft design flaws and poor maintenance, rarely anything else.

Paddy.

Posts: 763 | From: Belfast, Ireland | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.