- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Oceania Cruises today announced its newest ship Allura will enter service one week earlier than scheduled. Due to join the fleet in summer 2025, her inaugural sailing will now depart Trieste, Italy, on July 18, 2025, cruising six days to Athens, Greece, calling at gems in the Eastern Mediterranean including Rijeka, Croatia; Ravenna, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; and Kotor, Montenegro...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line expects Carnival Pride to resume sailing from the Port of Baltimore on May 26, continuing the cruise line’s year-round homeport schedule.Carnival Pride is expected to arrive in Baltimore on May 26, following a week-long cruise that embarked in Norfolk, Va., where Carnival temporarily moved its Baltimore operations after the collapse of the Key Bridge...

Latest News...For the first time ever, Celebrity Edge, the ship that introduced the revolutionary outward-facing design, calls Alaska home for the summer. Today, Celebrity Edge will embark on her maiden sailing roundtrip from Seattle on a seven-night Dawes Glacier itinerary with stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Through its unique outward facing design, Celebrity Edge will offer guests...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » After World Trade Center Bombing - Are cruises affected?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: After World Trade Center Bombing - Are cruises affected?
Jesse C
First Class Passenger
Member # 1678

posted 09-11-2001 10:52 PM      Profile for Jesse C   Email Jesse C   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After the tragedies in New York City, Arlington, and Pittsburgh, are any Cruise Lines taking precautionary measures? I know the Port of Galveston is on High Alert!
Posts: 244 | From: Houston, Texas, United States of America | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 09-12-2001 08:40 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From TomC on board the HAL's Amsterdam in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada. "A letter from the Captain was put under each cabin door outlining the company's stand. Basically: highest level of security, no visitors, double ID for getting on or off the ship, all bags searched (manually or by x-ray).
He says they really don't expect a problem, but want to be on the safe side.

Message from Marco Polo enroute from Berlin to Amsterdam tomorrow, also on high alert, NO visitors are being allowed on board - have a friend from Hawaii on board this ship & just heard from her. A very close friend of hers who lives in Amsterdam and was a 2nd Maitre'd with HAL for many years, will NOT be allowed on board. This is how strict they will be.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Cunardcoll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1226

posted 09-12-2001 11:43 AM      Profile for Cunardcoll   Author's Homepage   Email Cunardcoll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Were there any ships in New York when it happened , and if so , are they damaged or dirty by the cloud of the collaps ???
Posts: 947 | From: Belgium | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
fondaenergy
First Class Passenger
Member # 1641

posted 09-12-2001 11:45 AM      Profile for fondaenergy   Email fondaenergy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There may be some more long-term fallout.

Disney closed all of its operations yesterday. There was talk on one of our national networks about whether Disney would continue its cruises. It was an ambiguous statement.

Unfortunately, cruise ships are targets.

My husband and I were on the Nordic Empress when TWA flight 800 crashed. It was very sad.

Posts: 177 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
colt
First Class Passenger
Member # 1215

posted 09-12-2001 01:30 PM      Profile for colt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How will those who are trying to make departing cruises make there ports in time, with the airports being closed? Wondering what impact this might have on potential cruisers. This is probably a trivial question considering the gravity of this national crisis, but it may be a question that is currently perplexing a few people trying to get to their cruise ships. Will cruise lines hold departures? Will cruise lines be able to get all their flight-booked people on alternative transportation?
Posts: 293 | From: Lisbon, Maryland, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 09-12-2001 02:00 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's an e-mail I received from Holland America yesterday....

-------------------------

SECURITY HEIGHTENED ABOARD THE SHIPS OF HOLLAND AMERICA LINE AND WINDSTAR CRUISES

Seattle, Sept. 11, 2001 -- The management and employees of Holland America Line and Windstar Cruises extend their heartfelt sympathy to all persons who have been affected by today's acts of terrorism in the United States.

Although the company has no reason to believe its ships are at risk, in response to these events, the company is taking every possible precaution to protect its passengers, employees and ships. Holland America has a comprehensive on-board security program.

Company management is in continual communication with all ships, where all operations and on-board programs are proceeding as scheduled, although with heightened security in effect. All cruise itineraries currently are being maintained as published.

Nondenominational memorial services are being conducted today on all ships. Guests on board all Holland America Line ships and Windstar's Wind Surf are being provided with complimentary Internet access to communicate with friends and loved ones.

The company also is working on alternative travel arrangements for any current or future guests who may be affected by current air travel disruptions. The Air/Sea Department will be staffed 24 hours a day.

Guests and travel agents with concerns may call the Holland America/Windstar help desk at 1-800-577-1728.
-------------------------

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
colt
First Class Passenger
Member # 1215

posted 09-12-2001 03:42 PM      Profile for colt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cunardcoll:
Were there any ships in New York when it happened , and if so , are they damaged or dirty by the cloud of the collaps ???

Just read on another board, that people aboard QE2 (enroute from Southampton to New York) were told that there may be a change in port of disembarkation from New York City to Boston. If this were to occur, i presume Cunard would ensure connections thru to NYC (if possible), or perhaps fly (?) them home from Boston? What then happens to all those folks arriving in New York for their east bound crossing starting Sunday, September 16th from New York to Southampton?

Posts: 293 | From: Lisbon, Maryland, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Scottylass
First Class Passenger
Member # 420

posted 09-12-2001 04:03 PM      Profile for Scottylass   Email Scottylass   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The situation is the same with Aurora who is over in the USA at the moment. The following message was received on our P&O Club message board:-

All P&O Cruises' passengers currently on land tours and stays around New York and Washington have now been safely accounted for. All Aurora's crew has also been safely accounted for.

P&O Cruises' Aurora is presently en route to Boston, where she will arrive later today. Her next scheduled cruise is due to depart from New York on Saturday. P&O Cruises is continuing to monitor the situation to assess whether this cruise will embark in New York as planned, or whether an alternative port will be used, in which case all passengers will be informed.

P&O Cruises has provided a telephone number for people concerned about friends and family on P&O Cruises or Princess Cruises holidays in the areas, travel agents with P&O Cruises' or Princess Cruises' passengers due to travel to the affected areas today or tomorrow, and P&O Cruises and Princess Cruises customers themselves due to travel to the affected areas today or tomorrow. The number is 020 7800 2255.

Swan Hellenic's Clipper Adventurer cruise is currently in Newport. The scheduled call at New York has been cancelled and the ship will depart for Philadelphia later today. Any queries regarding this revised itinerary should be directed to 0207 800 2200.

Princess Cruises is working with the airlines to minimise disruption to passengers due to travel on other Princess Cruises fly-cruises around the world, and will be informing passengers if any changes to their flight arrangements become necessary, as soon as these are known.

The safety of passengers and crew is the prime concern of P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises and Swan Hellenic, and security on all ships is being operated at the highest level.

11th September 2001

Unquote:

I don't think I will be able to get into the secure dock area in Greenock either to see the Norway on Friday, I will just have to see her from afar.

Regards
Mary

Posts: 648 | From: Stirlingshire, Scotland | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 09-12-2001 05:12 PM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think, there is no Danger for Cruises.
The People who did this yesterday are living in USA (for an short or longer time) and they are no stupids, for that, this was too exactely planned.

Who is interested in such an crime?

I think, the same as in Nairobi in 1998...

Posts: 1034 | From: Gutach, Black Forest, Germany | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 09-12-2001 05:38 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It turns out that at least some cruises will be affected - not directly from a security perspective but from the disruption of the air travel in the U.S.

Here's an announcement we just received from HAL....

---------------------
HOLLAND AMERICA LINE CANCELS SEPT. 13 SAILING OF MS WESTERDAM

Seattle, Sept. 12, 2001 -- Due to the continued suspension of air traffic by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration in the aftermath of Tuesday's tragic events on the East Coast, Holland America Line has cancelled the Sept. 13 sailing of the ms Westerdam from Vancouver. This is the only cruise affected at this time.

The ship -- with 1,477 guests on board -- currently is enroute southbound from Ketchikan and scheduled to arrive on time in Vancouver, where it will remain in port instead of sailing on its next seven-day Alaska Inside Passage cruise Thursday evening.

The guests on board the Westerdam are being advised that all who have air connections may stay on board at no charge until alternate travel arrangements can be made. Guests who remain on board will be responsible for their individual expenses, including telephone, beverages, shop purchases, etc. The company is sending a Passenger Programs team to Vancouver to assist guests with travel plans.

In addition, Holland America Line is working with Canadian officials to keep the ship in port for several days and to provide guests with the most comfortable experience possible.

"Holland America Line wishes to assure our guests that their safety, security and comfort remain our top priority. We ask for patience and cooperation during this difficult situation," said David A. Giersdorf, senior vice president, marketing and sales.

All guests who are scheduled to board the Westerdam for the Sept. 13 cruise will be notified and receive 100 percent future cruise credit in the amount they paid for the cancelled cruise. Travel agent commissions will be protected.

Guests scheduled to sail on the Westerdam on Sept. 13 who purchased air transportation through Holland America's Home City Air Program are requested to return their tickets to Holland America in order to receive future cruise credit in the amount they paid for their air transportation. Guests who did not purchase their air ticket through Holland America are requested to contact their travel agent or the airline that issued the ticket to request a refund or credit.

Guests and travel agents who have questions about the Westerdam's cancellation may call Holland America at 1-800-577-1728.
---------------------

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
BTF
First Class Passenger
Member # 2024

posted 09-12-2001 09:54 PM      Profile for BTF        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Holland America's decision about the Westerdam is a good one but faced with the impossibility of moving large numbers of disembarking and embarking passengers through the Vancouver and Seattle Airports, they probably had little choice. With limited air service now being established between Canada and the U.S., the problem of cruise ship congestion at certain ports like Vancouver should be reduced. However two large cruise ships are expected in Vancouver on Thursday and five on Friday so congestion in the port should be greatly increased. The same scenario should be taking place in Miami/Fort Lauderdale and other turnaround ports.

I did notice that Royal Caribbean has announced that they have temporarily halted port stops in Morocco and Kusadasi,Turkey as a precaution.

The world is not becoming a safer place.

Posts: 287 | From: Ottawa, Ont. Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 09-13-2001 08:48 AM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sympatico:
From TomC on board the HAL's Amsterdam in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada. "A letter from the Captain was put under each cabin door outlining the company's stand. Basically: highest level of security, no visitors, double ID for getting on or off the ship, all bags searched (manually or by x-ray).
He says they really don't expect a problem, but want to be on the safe side.

Message from Marco Polo enroute from Berlin to Amsterdam tomorrow, also on high alert, NO visitors are being allowed on board - have a friend from Hawaii on board this ship & just heard from her. A very close friend of hers who lives in Amsterdam and was a 2nd Maitre'd with HAL for many years, will NOT be allowed on board. This is how strict they will be.

Looking back on my most recent CARNIVAL VICTORY cruise, while checking in was done properly (x-raying of hand carried items), they NEVER checked my knapsack during port visits in Canada - I even offered to show them, they just waved me on). And on top of that, many of us were allowed to carry our luggage off the ship if we were able. Ok, fine, but NO ONE FROM CUSTOMS EVEN BOTHERED TO CHECK ANY OF IT!! I mean, if I were a terrorist, I could have made contact with someone in Halifax or Saint John, picked up whatever, returned to the ship (and blown it up if I wanted to), and debarked at New York with no problem. It was very convenient to get off the ship this way, by damn, after Tuesday's events, it's obvious that this needs to be changed...it's a miracle that a cruise ship hasn't been overtaken yet, ACHILLE LAURO notwithstanding...

Things will never be the same again ANYWHERE for ANYONE...

Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 09-13-2001 09:59 AM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On German Airports, luggage was controlled strictly BEFORE this Attack.
It is not allowed, to bring luggage into an Plane without the People, who belong to this.

In 2000, before Christmas, our Police picked up an Group of Islamic Terrorists, who wants to bring an Bomb to Explosion in Strasbourg
(France) on Christmas Market in Front of the Cathedral.

I think, US Secret Service was on sleep and the Control for Inland-flights is not good.

It would not be possible to hijack FOUR PLANES in some Minutes, if everything in Security Sector is o.k.

Posts: 1034 | From: Gutach, Black Forest, Germany | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 09-13-2001 06:13 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heard today that several flights from Vancouver had armed Royal Canadian Mounted Police on board.

Before someone asks, -They did not bring their horses.

Seriously, all aspects of security MUST be tightened in both Canada and the States. Leaving San Diego in February this year on an early morning flight, I can't recall experiencing much security - following a stop over and plane change in Denver for our flight to Toronto, security was equally lax. Our checked baggage may have been x-rayed but nothing was done with our carry on stuff.

I don't care if I have to check in 4 hours before departure - better to be safe than sorry!. That said, the bottom line really is that nothing will deter those set on hijacking or, at worst, suicide.

Who would consider a plastic knife a lethal weapon?

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 09-17-2001 12:38 PM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that most likely cruise lines will strengthen and toughen their security measures like everyone else. Especially if passengers demand it. Don't forget the ACHILLE LAURO and the Portuguese Liner (SANTA-something or other, someone help me out here) in the 1970's that was hijacked. I would like to see more thoroughly trained security personnel and metal detectors used during ports of call.
Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
JoeO
First Class Passenger
Member # 224

posted 09-20-2001 03:03 PM      Profile for JoeO   Email JoeO   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We were on Explorer of the Seas when this tradgedy occured. Matter of fact we were high on a St. Thomas hill taking beautiful pictures of the harbor and Explorer & Century when the news broke.

More to the point, security was significantly tightened as soon as we returned to the ship.

We have highest regard for RCI and Capt. Trym Selvaag for their care and handling of the situation.

..We went through 4 security gates to return to the ship at the next port (San Juan.)
..Two special memorial services were held.
..Constant information was available.
..Free phone and internet access for those in need.
..Much hightened security. (non-U.S. citizens of the crew were not allowed to get off the ship thereafter.)
..Security was so tight at disembarkation that we got off the ship at 12:00 noon instead of the anticipated 9:-9:30 am, mostly due to Custom's extra care.
..Many special care-and-considerations for those stranded by air problems or the like.

"Kudos" to RCI, the Captain and the Crew.

Posts: 93 | From: St Aaugustine, Fl., U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 98  |  IP: Logged
bubbles
First Class Passenger
Member # 1415

posted 09-26-2001 09:33 AM      Profile for bubbles   Email bubbles   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What can I say, I am now back from Aurora from an experience we will never forget. We sailed from Southampton on 1 September expecting to arrive back after 3 days in NY on 13 September and eventually arrived back yesterday. We were in NY on our three day sojourn when the terrible events of 11 September occurred. I have to say that the P&O support and response was fantastic. They kept a manned reception in the Marriott Marquis hotel in Times Square for the whole of the time which gave a lot of relief to all the passengers. We were all eventually accounted for (2 were missing for a few days but they had been at Ellis Island and then unable to return to Manhattan straight away). Tours proceeding in Washington were touring Arlington at the time and they were also well looked after. The offer was made to people taking the P&O three day stay in NY to return on Aurora. We were advised that our Continental flight was unlikely to accommodate us until last Thursday or Friday and we were given a deadline to decide however, when we returned to the P&O reception there was a sign declaring the ship full so we decided to sail back there and then. The New Yorkers were wonderful in the face of such adversity, our problems in getting back were nothing in comparison and although we missed my parents' Golden Wedding Celebration our children read the speech I had written with my brother and apparently did us proud. I will not say the cruise back was a joyous holiday but it was the best of a terrible situation and I am back in the office today happy to be back to banal normality. I would have posted before but the email on Aurora was up and down rather and we were trying to keep in touch with loved ones over everything else. The relief on everyone's face when I came back today is quite overwhelming. We spent Monday 10 Sept afternoon in the WTC vicinity, we chatted to people staying in that area from the UK and US and we will never know what happened to them, there but for the grace of GD.

Bubbles

Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.