- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Oceania Cruises today announced its newest ship Allura will enter service one week earlier than scheduled. Due to join the fleet in summer 2025, her inaugural sailing will now depart Trieste, Italy, on July 18, 2025, cruising six days to Athens, Greece, calling at gems in the Eastern Mediterranean including Rijeka, Croatia; Ravenna, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; and Kotor, Montenegro...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line expects Carnival Pride to resume sailing from the Port of Baltimore on May 26, continuing the cruise line’s year-round homeport schedule.Carnival Pride is expected to arrive in Baltimore on May 26, following a week-long cruise that embarked in Norfolk, Va., where Carnival temporarily moved its Baltimore operations after the collapse of the Key Bridge...

Latest News...For the first time ever, Celebrity Edge, the ship that introduced the revolutionary outward-facing design, calls Alaska home for the summer. Today, Celebrity Edge will embark on her maiden sailing roundtrip from Seattle on a seven-night Dawes Glacier itinerary with stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Through its unique outward facing design, Celebrity Edge will offer guests...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Mutiny: British couple booted off R8 (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Mutiny: British couple booted off R8
CB
First Class Passenger
Member # 58

posted 05-19-2001 11:56 PM      Profile for CB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47721-2001May18.html
Posts: 109 | From: Arlington, TX, USA | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
CTrail
First Class Passenger
Member # 64

posted 05-20-2001 05:57 AM      Profile for CTrail     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is probably the case for a lot of passengers. If the price goes down in your area you can get a refund if you are made aware of it but most cruise companies, from what I have read and heard, lower prices by geographical location to enhance sales from those areas and you are not ensured of that price if from another district.

Justathought

Peter

Posts: 332 | From: Kitchener, ON Canada | Registered: Apr 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-20-2001 08:50 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
These events are odd!

Us Brits normally realise that like betting on the horses, you paid the price for a holiday that is offered at the time. If you later find someone has paid less - that's their good luck and your loss. No one ever gets refunded the differance!

I think forums like CruiseTalk and the Internet in general expose the different global pricing policies and can cause unrest! Hopefully in the long term this will be a good thing and our rights will standard throughout the world?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
cruznut6
First Class Passenger
Member # 543

posted 05-20-2001 10:38 AM      Profile for cruznut6   Author's Homepage   Email cruznut6   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm

Here in the States, us Yanks usually rely on our travel agent to check if rates have decreased. The Internet makes it easy to compare rates if your TA doesn't. Many agents will get the "discount" credited to you if you ask them to check pricing, but not all are "on the ball", and a few are dishonest enough to keep the difference Finding an agent is easy; finding one willing to work FOR you requires us to ask questions, stay informed, and trusting your agent's looking after your interests

Regards...Bob

[ 05-20-2001: Message edited by: cruznut6 ]

Posts: 161 | From: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA | Registered: Apr 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-20-2001 10:44 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cruznut6, It not so much a matter of honesty, here in the UK, it's more a matter of the 'small print'.

We NEVER get the differance refunded if the price drops...period! It matters not, which TA, that's how they all work here! And we pay 40% more for the same cruise.

We are not called 'rip-off' Britain for nothing!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 05-20-2001 11:00 AM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

an we are the rip-off GERMANS!!!

for good prices:

In US, i do not know. Look in the internet!

[ 05-20-2001: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

Posts: 1034 | From: Gutach, Black Forest, Germany | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
neviboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 1527

posted 05-20-2001 11:43 AM      Profile for neviboy   Email neviboy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have old friends in the U.K. Canada and now a U.S. resident. For air flights within Europe a U.K. T.A. is usually cheaper than a u.S. T.A.
For cruises and trans-Atlantic fares, Canadian T.A's. are more often cheaper than U.S.
I never ask or listen to fellow travellers regarding what they paid. Some like to boast. "Oh, I got it for much less than that !" B.S.
neviboy
!

Posts: 75 | From: Pompano Bch. Florida. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
CB
First Class Passenger
Member # 58

posted 05-20-2001 01:24 PM      Profile for CB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It seems that they should have just laid back and enjoyed the cruise. If my computation is correct, it was still a very good price(under $100 per day.)
Posts: 109 | From: Arlington, TX, USA | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 05-20-2001 01:51 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I paid list price for my first adult cruise.
At the time I did not know any better. Live and learn.

It was still a bargain and worth every penny. I had a great time, and daily cherish the memories.

Fool me once it is their fault, fool me twice it is my fault.

I think Lobel should start taking Prozac.
_________

For the Europeans on this board, can you book American based cruises from home?

I do know that the credit card companies automatically convert your currencies to $'s at a favorable rate.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 05-20-2001 04:11 PM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Yes, we can book American based cruises from here.
But: Why should i?
I am an very experienced cruisegoer and knew special agencies in Germany and Netherlands, they sell me good cruises for very interesting prices, too, and i must not book flight, hotel and transfers extra.

If you are an starter, look in US in the Internet or ask TA's and the Companies direct.

Let you make different offers and if you have questions about the ships and quality, ask here in the board experienced members or
have an look in some books like Berlitz,
Guide to Cruising and Cruise ships.

Posts: 1034 | From: Gutach, Black Forest, Germany | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paddy
First Class Passenger
Member # 357

posted 05-20-2001 04:28 PM      Profile for Paddy   Email Paddy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can see whee they are coming from, but I can't help laughing when I read the story. Anyone else get the impression of a less than strong marital bond when the wife protested about her being kicked off the ship when it was her husband that was being troublesome? Nothing like loyalty lol...

Paddy.

Posts: 763 | From: Belfast, Ireland | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 05-20-2001 07:44 PM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

There was no reason, to kick them off!!!
It is not forbidden, to talk about prices to other passengers and to look for help in a
planned court action.

DO NOT BOOK RENAISSANCE CRUISES!!

This will be solidarity!

This Italian Captain is an little Dictator!

Eyh, was his name Mussolini? Or Adolf?

For the communists: Stalin or Lenin?

Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 05-20-2001 08:39 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Amerikanis,

Yes, the Captain did have a right to give them the boot as it IS against the terms of the passage contract.

He was also given fair warning, twice no less.

Personally, I laud the Captain for his decision and think the wife's comment is HYSTERICAL. I'm sure it was quite a tense flight home!

Tim

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 05-20-2001 09:33 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm:
.......... And we pay 40% more for the same cruise. [/QB]

Don't understand - what am I missing? I'm no mathematician, but……….a poster on another thread said she was paying £4000.00 (2 adults/2 children) for a 15 day Caribbean cruise package - £1,000.00 per person - 15 days = £66.60 per person per day. I have to assume that Trans Atlantic air, taxes etc. were included - translated into CA$ that's 8,834.61 - $2,209.00 per person - reduced to a daily basis - CA$147.25 per person per day ……still seems good to me.:confused.

As for the tossed off pax - think CTrail is right - regardless of where we live, we're at the mercy of the seller.

P.S. used www.onanda.com for conversion figures.

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
recab
First Class Passenger
Member # 1677

posted 05-21-2001 03:27 AM      Profile for recab   Email recab   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Amerikanis,

The Master of the ship has almost absolute power onboard. He was right in throwing off the (potential) trouble-makers.

Posts: 730 | From: Aland, Finland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
K&K
First Class Passenger
Member # 1040

posted 05-21-2001 09:28 AM      Profile for K&K   Email K&K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe; as ctrail spoke of that cruise lines often offer speacial deals to certain areas or specific states where sales are short. As for getting a good deal well that is what populated the United States. The offer of free land or more land for the dollar. What I have experienced alot of America has tried to rid our brain of competition.(in soccer, little league and others) we teach fun not playing to win and there is nothing like winning to be fun. Some people think that life should be fair and equal without effort.

I feel that when we find someone that got a better deal (price) then good for them as we only buy a cruise when we have gotten what we consider a deal that we can live with!
I am not sure I agree with removing them from the ship, but I thought removing someone from the Paridise for having a pack of cigarttes was a little harsh. As they say rules are rules.
Kevin

Posts: 446 | From: Sandpoint,Idaho,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colin
First Class Passenger
Member # 1676

posted 05-21-2001 11:12 AM      Profile for Colin   Email Colin   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From reading the article it seems that this guys complaint is not that he didn't get a good deal, or even that others got a better deal, it is that the company are in breach of contract.

He was given a guarantee that the price would not be reduced and it seems that it was.

Of course one would have to know a lot more about the details to come to any conclusions.

Posts: 283 | From: Inverness, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-21-2001 01:04 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colin:
He was given a guarantee that the price would not be reduced and it seems that it was.

Such a 'guarantee' seems very unlikely. In the UK you pay your fare and what the Cruise line does after that is their business - NO REFUNDS if they put the price down! Everyone knows the score.

I suspect they were thrown of the ship for disruptive/rude behaviour - there are more civalised ways to complain!

How un-British of them!

jwine
First Class Passenger
Member # 634

posted 05-21-2001 01:17 PM      Profile for jwine   Email jwine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What a hoot!!! I guess this is why you shouldn't take a laptop on a cruise. And to be soooo stupid as to take it to the ships business center to be printed. Did he expect them to distribute them also? And his wife, can't say I blame her, after all she wasn't the fool that did such a stupid thing, I wouldn't want my cruise ruined either!!!
Posts: 223 | From: Cincinnati, OH USA | Registered: Apr 99  |  IP: Logged
Southampton
First Class Passenger
Member # 1616

posted 05-21-2001 01:49 PM      Profile for Southampton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes it just confirms my belief that whatever you have paid, dont take the number on board with you. A ship is a close community and no place for someone determined to stir up bad feeling for his own selfish reasons.I have to say I agree with the captains decision....but would let the wife have stayed if she had agreed to say to her husband "You ARE the weakest link....Goodbye ! "
Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 05-21-2001 01:54 PM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I actually did not want to comment this topic due to some reasons.
But I just want to say that a special-offer can be announced and withdrawn at any time. It is the US-system which slowly but surely comes over to Europe as well. If today I book a cruise for 3000.-US $ and in two weeks the line gives a lower rate to fill up the cabin-category, I do not have the right to claim the difference. It is written in the general conditions and especially Renaissance Cruises is always advertising that the special rates cannot be combined with any other reduction and can not be accepted for a booking which is already done ! This is a price-strategy which many operators, not only in the cruise-business, are working with, also airlines work on this when they have for example last-minut-offers for a flight. It would ruin every good company to agree to refund the difference.
Probably not everybody will agree with me but I totally agree with Renaissance on their policy.
The other thing, what happened on the R EIGHT, is a question which has to be asked to both sides. The captain has the total right to put passengers ashore if he has the impression that they can easily cause demage to the line in any way. It depends on how these passengers were acting onboard.
What I can tell you about the refund they claim: They won´t get back a penny !
Sorry, but that´s the business.

Posts: 1680 | From: OSC Luxembourg | Registered: Nov 98  |  IP: Logged
Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 05-21-2001 05:52 PM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

O.K.: The Captain has the RIGHT to put people off the ship.
I knew this, of course!
But he has no REASON!
In the free part of the world, everybody is allowed to have his own opinion on things, politics and so on.
Everybody is allowed to tell this opinion to others, or to publish it.
This is no reason, to throw people off an ship.
The laptop was the private posess of the passenger. He can write on his laptop, whatever he wants.
If they allow him, to take prints in the business center, he is the legal owner of these prints. He is the owner of the ideas on these prints.
There is no reason, to bring these prints to the bridge by the staff, except the owner allows or asks for this.
A ship is no prison and democracy and free opinion are for all, including passengers
of an cruise ship.

So: Never book Renaissance!

recab
First Class Passenger
Member # 1677

posted 05-23-2001 03:18 AM      Profile for recab   Email recab   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Amerikanis:
[QB]
O.K.: The Captain has the RIGHT to put people off the ship.
I knew this, of course!
But he has no REASON!
In the free part of the world, everybody is allowed to have his own opinion on things,..

I hope you include the Captain to have his own opinion? A common paragraph in cruise docs states: " Passage may be refused to any guest, and any guest´s cruise may be terminated at any time, at the risk and expense of the departing guest, where, IN THE OPINION OF THE SHIP´S CAPTAIN or physician, a guest is unfit for travel or a risk or danger to himself or herself OR A DISTURBANCE or danger TO OTHERS...."

Posts: 730 | From: Aland, Finland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jules
First Class Passenger
Member # 1529

posted 05-27-2001 01:32 PM      Profile for Jules        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would guess that the reason the this gentleman's wife is objecting to being evicted is not lack of loyalty to her husband but simply a good legal ground for suing this company.

The company have broken several international laws on discrimination and at least 2 of this ladies basic human rights by taking vegence against her for the actions of her husband. What the Captain of the R8 has done to the man is questionable to say the least but can perhaps be justified by the small print of the contract - what he did to the man's wife is indefensable and I suspect that she (and her advocat) know it.

Watch this space - she will win even if her husband does not.

Posts: 136 | From: Scotland | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 05-27-2001 02:44 PM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

The captain may insist on his bubble-gum-paragraphs,
in German law, it will be forbidden what he did.
It is forbidden to shoot with cannons on birds, that means, you are only allowed
to do things in RELATION to the rights of the others.

The passenger has paid his fare, he trust in good cruise and fair company.

He made some prints, this is on his own laptop, his own ideas, printed in the boards shop. The prints belong to him.

Printing in the boards shop is not DANGEROUS,
discussion with other passengers is not FORBIDDEN, to look for help in a courts
competition is no DISTURBING others,
they are free to discuss with him, help him
or not.

The way of the Captain is not ADEQUATE,
this is the way of an DICTATOR.

If the cruise would be sold in Germany
by an office in our country, i am sure,
the people will get back money when they go to an German Court.

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.