- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Are UK cruisers getting a poor deal compared to our USA friends (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Are UK cruisers getting a poor deal compared to our USA friends
kimberley
First Class Passenger
Member # 1888

posted 04-01-2001 10:56 AM      Profile for kimberley   Email kimberley   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have read with interest the debates on keeping up with your TA for new reductions for cruises that you have already booked. I have also read of so many of you getting a cheaper price, later on from people like Princess, simply because they have reduced their fares. I may be completely wrong, but the same thing doesn't happen here in the UK. Here you or your TA find the cruise you want. The cruise company gives you a final price, this may include a discount(20%), like the one I have just booked the P & O, Princess's sister company in the UK. You agree and then forward a deposit via the TA to cruise company. If like P & O have just done increase the discount to 30% in their second edition brochure, from what I understand there is no retro protection for existing bookings and the new discounts are only for new bookings. So really over here, once you have booked the cruise it doesn't really matter how many times a cruise company reduces the cruise, early bookers, don't benefit. It makes you wonder is it really worth booking early. The main reason why I did it was to get a 4 berth cabin, I booked 13 months in advance.If I am wrong will somebody please tell me as.The difference is already worth £520 or approx $800!! I look forward to reading your replies.
Posts: 24 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stevesan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1494

posted 04-01-2001 03:18 PM      Profile for Stevesan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My personal experience in the U.S. market is with three cruise lines, NCL, HAL and Celebrity. I also book in advance, and in every instance received posted reductions with absolutely no resistance from the cruise line. Before our last cruise the HAL agent steered me to an even better deal than the published reduction I was inquiring about.
I can't imagine why a cruise line would treat Euro pax differently, unless it has to do with their business relationship with the TAs.

[This message has been edited by Stevesan (edited 04-01-2001).]

Posts: 46 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
David McIntosh
First Class Passenger
Member # 1737

posted 04-01-2001 04:23 PM      Profile for David McIntosh   Email David McIntosh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The comments on whether or not Euoropean cruisers don't receive as good of a deal as Americans is very interesting. Let me interject this from an American standpoint. If you live in the states, it can be awfully hard to book on some European lines. I've made mention before on these boards about the trouble it is for Americans to book on P&O. Princess is no help at all, even though they are part of the same company. I realize that P&O is geared toward a British market but I continue to believe there is a market in the United States for people who are interested in the kind of experience offered by P&O. Time for folks in the states to let P&O know that making it just a bit easier to book over here could result in new business. Think of it this way; those of you in the UK and Europe have access to cruises that are difficult for folks in North American to book. Come on American cruisers, is it time to storm the P&O website and demand representation?
Posts: 124 | From: Columbia, SC, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paddy
First Class Passenger
Member # 357

posted 04-01-2001 05:17 PM      Profile for Paddy   Email Paddy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
David,
the situation is similar for us regarding Carnival cruises - they make it very difficult for us to book one of their cruises. Airtours, Thomson and First Choice offer a very limited slelction of their cruises, on a few of their older ships with a basic cabin, inside or outside, choice. It is very difficult. I don't know why Carnival do this, but as fr as P&O are concerned I believe their niche is a truly British ambiance, no longer available with Cunard, and as such try to reduce as many foreign passenger numbers as possible. But at the end of the day, both outfits are highly profitable and simply don't need international custom.

Paddy.

Posts: 763 | From: Belfast, Ireland | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
ocngypz
First Class Passenger
Member # 1555

posted 04-01-2001 05:19 PM      Profile for ocngypz   Email ocngypz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kimberly:

It is probably only a matter of time before price protection makes its way across the great pond.

Judging by the poor increase in 2000 of cruise bookings (a paltry 1%), it is obvious
that some modifications will have to occur.

I often look at P&O cruises... and then get turned off the the outlandish rates....then I book something else. Now I notice that a particular cruise I was interested in has been reduced by 40%. Although..way too late.. for I have booked and paid for another.

Sooner or later.. something will give.

I will tell you though, that many friends of mine in the UK have been able to book NA cruiselines WITH air for less than I've been able to book (without air)......and I am a bargain hunter.
So, it does pay to shop around.

Posts: 343 | From: Newport, RI USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
colt
First Class Passenger
Member # 1215

posted 04-01-2001 05:48 PM      Profile for colt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cunard used to be the same way here in the States. Once booked, you were out of luck if some sort of price reduction/better discount appeared. For a cruise on the QE2 in June 2000, we made a booking about 10 months earlier in 1999--likewise to get a quad cabin. Cunard then offered a better deal in February 2000. Our travel agent contacted Cunard and saved us $1700 off our original booking, plus got us a $200 shipboard credit. We did have to cancel our original booking, and go with a guarantee cabin. Which, with a great deal of luck, we ended up in the same cabin as our original booking.

My inlaws, who are British, used to always get better deals on the QE2 than we could get here. I believe that has now changed, perhaps because Cunard is now owned by Carnival. However, i did hear that Cunard offered a Capetown South Africa cruise last year at only about 1,000 pounds sterling, which sounded like a super deal to me.

Posts: 293 | From: Lisbon, Maryland, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-01-2001 07:01 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We now have global organisations, and Internet and Email communication. Having different pricing structures for different countries, for the same cruise is just nonsense. In economic language, we are getting a little nearer to 'perfect information' on prices.

A few years back I saw a great discount on the Internet, offered on all NCL Cruises , if you booked early. When I phoned the UK NCL office, they told me that they knew of no such offer. Later they called me back and said that they had found the offer and it only applied to Americans!

Everything is expensive in Britain and Europe, including cruises. Yet on average, we earn less!

I was told by NCL that because American's have a lot of choice of cruise lines and ships, so the competition forces the prices lower. Our prices are simply pegged high, because their is less competition.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-01-2001 07:03 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hang on..so if you book a cruise in the USA, and the price later drops, you get the lower price? Wow!

Does this apply to Baked Beans etc. If you buy them one week, the prices drops the next, do you get a refund?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 04-01-2001 07:33 PM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You really need to have your agent check out the price protection policy of each cruise line before you book because it may affect your price at the end of the day. While many cruise lines allow consumers to move to a new lower promotion...very few of the protect the agents' commissions on the original booking fare.

Obviously if I was an agent making 10 - 15% on a cruise it would NOT be in my best interest to switch a client to a lower fare and therefore make a lower commission.

As far as I know the lines that DO protect an agents commission (at least in North America) are Cunard/ Seabourn/ HAL and Princess...most others will let you take the lower fare - but they pay your agent less money.

So you need to work w/ your agent and insure that when you book a cruise BOTH of your best interests are at heart...of course the MOST important thing is that the cruise is the right Line for YOU - then the money comes into consideration for you both.

As for the pricing - well yes it can vary from continent to continent...it all depends on what the market is willing to support and makes sense for the cruise line to sell it it (after taking in the cost of air subsidies, hotels etc.)...some cruises fill well from specific regions; thus, the cruise line will not discount from that region. Is it fair? maybe not - but at the end of the day we speak from our pocketbooks and if we will pay $XX,XXX for a cruise - why should the line sell it at $X,XXX.

Hope this answers some questions - fair? Maybe not - but that appears to be the way it is.

Ciao for now!

Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-02-2001 06:26 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jekyll:
You really need to have your agent check out the price protection policy of each cruise line before you book...

We don't have this in the UK! You simply get the price at the time you pay!

Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 04-02-2001 10:44 AM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe you do have it in the UK - you just mentionned on another post that QE2 was being discounted - talk to your TA and see what he/ she can do for you. It never hurts to ask - and then press the issue if you're not happy w/ the response you get.

Good Luck!

kimberley
First Class Passenger
Member # 1888

posted 04-02-2001 12:24 PM      Profile for kimberley   Email kimberley   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your great replies.

I have written to P & O, MD. if I receive a reply I will let you know.

jmfleser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1141

posted 04-02-2001 01:59 PM      Profile for jmfleser   Email jmfleser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just curious, but have any of you folks in Europe or the UK ever tried booking a cruise through an American TA? They all have 800 numbers. Someone should do some research. Hey, you never know!
Posts: 183 | From: Esperance, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 04-02-2001 08:54 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From what I've read and heard, it seems that many UK cruisers, book with a 'middle man', i.e. Airtours, through the local TA. In Canada, we book with our local TA who deals directly with the chosen Cruise Line.

We have 'middle men'/Tour Operators, e.g. Sunquest, who would/could not, as far as I understand, arrange individual bookings directly with a Cruise Line. That said, the 'middle man' may have contracted with a Cruise Line(s) for a certain number of cabins on certain ship(s) for the itinerary(s) of the season - summer, winter or whatever. Too, 'middle men'/Tour Operators, frequently use Charter carriers instead of scheduled service - and that affects the bottom line.

Just for the hell of it a few weeks back, I had a friend contact Princess Tours in Seattle, the sales agent for P&O in the States. She enquired about the availability of segments on the recent world cruise and was advised that Princess Tours only handled bookings for the entire cruise, all other requests were to be directed to P&O directly.

I personally have always felt that US residents receive much better deals than we do Canadians. Rates are always quoted in USD and, it seems, converted to Canadian Funds at the highest possible rate. If we choose to travel on a British ship, rates are quoted in UK£ - and again we're stuck with a converted rate - big bucks for us these days.

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 04-02-2001 09:28 PM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Green:

You'll be happy to know that in Canada Cunard/ Seabourn offer Canadian dollar pricing at 1.47 (fixed) rate of exchange. With Seabourn being virtually all inclusive as of May and the FREE air promos they have - they are a heck of a value for Europe this summer!

Of course you can also have your travel agent book w/ the Tour Operator - Encore Cruises who offer 11 cruise lines at very reasonable rates of exchange.

Additionally as they are on line w/ most of the cruise lines they represent - they can give you confirmation of your booking, including air carriers (they do most of their own air using combinations of charters and sched carriers) - at the time of booking.

Hope this information helps!

gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 04-02-2001 09:54 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Green...we've been dealing mainly with a US TA for several years but we've been getting a guaranteed exchange rate from some companies for a long time. It was C$1.35 and last year it went up to C$1.40. Different companies, different rates, and some none at all. You have to get your TA to ask.
....peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-03-2001 04:45 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jekyll:
Maybe you do have it in the UK - you just mentionned on another post that QE2 was being discounted -

Discounted for new bookings, not existing ones!

Joe has told me that some Brits have booked cruises via Travelpage.

kimberley
First Class Passenger
Member # 1888

posted 04-03-2001 08:05 AM      Profile for kimberley   Email kimberley   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm:
Discounted for new bookings, not existing ones!

Joe has told me that some Brits have booked cruises via Travelpage.

Malcolme,

Do you know if they got a better deal than those we can get from the UK tour operators?
Is their price protected?

Kimberley

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-03-2001 09:23 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good Question! Lets ask Joe....
colt
First Class Passenger
Member # 1215

posted 04-03-2001 09:28 AM      Profile for colt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm:
Hang on..so if you book a cruise in the USA, and the price later drops, you get the lower price? Wow!

Does this apply to Baked Beans etc. If you buy them one week, the prices drops the next, do you get a refund?

Not on grocery items, but usually for appliances, mattresses, electronics, clothing, etc if the price drops within one week of purchase, you definitely get a refund of the difference. Some electronics (t.v.'s, vcr's, stereos, etc) businesses guarantee that if you buy an item and find the exact item within 30 days for less, they will refund the difference, plus add 10 percent or so.

Posts: 293 | From: Lisbon, Maryland, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 04-03-2001 02:12 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm,

People from all over the world have booked cruises through TravelPage.com and they do get the same protection against lower prices. They usually pay via credit card and the exchange rate is determined by the date of the transaction.

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
WJCdiver
First Class Passenger
Member # 946

posted 04-08-2001 11:40 AM      Profile for WJCdiver     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My experience in the UK is that you pay the same price as I do in NY except that you pay in pounds and I pay in dollars. For instance a very good restaurant in NY is $50 per person, in London its UKS50. A laptop computer costs me about $2000, the same laptop in London is advertised as UKS1,995.
Sweaters cost me $75 in NY, in London they are UKS75.

I don't know how you survive.
Bill

Posts: 159 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-08-2001 12:21 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WJCdiver:
My experience in the UK is that you pay the same price as I do in NY except that you pay in pounds and I pay in dollars. I don't know how you survive.

In other words the NY meal cost $50 in the UK it costs $70!!! We also earn less and our cars and property cost more to buy!

How do we survive? Simple! We live in smaller houses, drive smaller cars, eat out less, and go on far less cruises!

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-08-2001 04:38 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another example: NCL's annual promotion does not apply to us Europeans!

NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE OFFERS GREAT DEALS DURING ANNUAL SPECIAL "SALE OF ALL SAILS"

~ Two-category upgrades offered until March 31 for Each Ship, Every Itinerary, All Year ~

MIAMI, Fla., January 2, 2001—MIAMI, Fla., January 2, 2001 - Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has launched its third annual "Sale of All Sails" promotion beginning today through March 31, 2001. The promotion this year, the sale consists of a two-category upgrade on every ship and every itinerary, all year long. In addition, several bonuses will be offered, on select sailings only, to include savings of 50 percent or more,four-category upgrades, and shipboard credit of up to $400
per stateroom.

Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 04-12-2001 06:55 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm - don't feel 'put upon' - many, many promotions do not apply to Canadians either - unless you are among the favoured few who own real estate in the US - and they probably don't want to cruise to escape our perishing cold winters - they already have!

There is a plus for you Brits - shipboard accounts are in US$ - you've got a great exchange rate - £50.00 = US$72.00 compared to our CAD$50.00 = US$32.00

Cheers....

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.