- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Miami Port

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Miami Port
Laura
First Class Passenger
Member # 924

posted 02-06-2000 04:10 PM      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How far of a drive is it to the Miami pier from the airport? We just got our cruise documents and air assignments, and are scheduled to land in Miami at 3:16pm. The ship is scheduled to leave at 5:00pm. I'm a little concerned! I asked my travel agent about it, and she said that because RCCL assigns the air, that they won't leave without us if our plane is delayed. (within reason, of course...)
Posts: 114 | From: Ohio | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
gizmo
First Class Passenger
Member # 972

posted 02-06-2000 05:21 PM      Profile for gizmo   Email gizmo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Miami airport is very close, 10 - 15 minutes. Depending on which airline you are coming in on, it can be a long walk to baggage. I think your travel agent is correct about the ship waiting, but I do not know what is within reason.
Posts: 686 | From: Kennesaw Ga. (origianlly from Philly) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
JDCasey
First Class Passenger
Member # 1065

posted 02-10-2000 01:14 PM      Profile for JDCasey   Email JDCasey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Laura,
If there is a problem with the air connection, it will not be in Miami. Even though you book your air travel through the Cruise Line, they do not take responsibility for missed connections or delayed flights.On our last cruise the airline canceled the commuter flight to New York 10 minutes before it was to take off. Seven out of 18 passengers on the flight were making connections for cruises. We all "Missed the Boat". For our cruise in March we are leaving three days early.

Posts: 48 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MagnmPI
First Class Passenger
Member # 299

posted 02-10-2000 01:30 PM      Profile for MagnmPI     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nothing stresses me out more than flying on the same day of embarkation, especially if you're connecting somewhere in the midwest(U.S.A) during the winter. I'm telling yah, my stomach is in knots worrying about who will miss the connection, ME or my BAGS.
Posts: 545 | From: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 02-10-2000 01:46 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One year when we were on a cruise out of Tampa we went down a day early, met a group at the hotel who also were sailing with us and one young couple (their first cruise) had their luggage either stolen, misplaced or lost at the hotel. They saw it sitting with the rest of the group's luggage outside the hotel on arrival and that was it. Needless to say they were very upset. Either the hotel or the cruise line sent them in a limo to a nearby mall and they did a great job shopping for the cruise. Don't know whether they ever found their luggage.
We always go down a day early no matter what time of year it is. We have had snow in April and November in Toronto, so never take a chance. I'm like you MagnmPI, my stomach is in knots, until I see that luggage coming off the carousel and at the hotel we never left it outside the room to be picked up by hotel staff to be put on a bus, we took a cab. Even then, on one cruise, my husband's garment bag did not arrive until after we sailed - more knots.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Laura
First Class Passenger
Member # 924

posted 02-10-2000 03:51 PM      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, eveybody! I am pretty concerned...we're flying out of the Midwest, and snow is certainly a possibility! YIKES! I wish we would've planned to go a day early...I wonder if it's too late now...we leave on Feb. 27th. Maybe I'll call my travel agent!

By the way...it's driving me crazy to keep seeing the abbrevation "LOL" on these boards! WHAT DOES LOL MEAN??????? Somebody PLEASE tell me before I die of curiosity! Thanks!

Posts: 114 | From: Ohio | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JDCasey
First Class Passenger
Member # 1065

posted 02-10-2000 04:09 PM      Profile for JDCasey   Email JDCasey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One meaning for "LOL" is 'Little Old Lady'
MagnmPI
First Class Passenger
Member # 299

posted 02-10-2000 05:00 PM      Profile for MagnmPI     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...and the other meaning is Laughing Out Loud.
Posts: 545 | From: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
CTrail
First Class Passenger
Member # 64

posted 02-10-2000 05:16 PM      Profile for CTrail     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another is "Lots Of Luv"

Choose what you think fits

Haveagreatcruise

Posts: 332 | From: Kitchener, ON Canada | Registered: Apr 99  |  IP: Logged
corinne at travelpage
First Class Passenger
Member # 537

posted 02-10-2000 08:36 PM      Profile for corinne at travelpage   Email corinne at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
FYI (for your information), LOL means "laugh on-line".

I also agree with arriving at departure city at least one day before sailing. I've heard too many horror stories. Plus, it's usually fun to spend time in port. We like hanging out in South Beach when departing from Miami.

Corinne

mrblanche
First Class Passenger
Member # 714

posted 02-10-2000 09:31 PM      Profile for mrblanche   Email mrblanche   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"LOL" generally means "Laughing Out Loud." Internet junkies are bad about that sort of thing. The worst I have heard is "ROFLMAOASTC." Turns out it was used on a pet forum, and it meant "Rolling On Floor Laughing My A** Off And Scaring The Cat."

Posts: 308 | From: Cedar Hill, TX | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Ascendancy
First Class Passenger
Member # 840

posted 02-11-2000 02:56 PM      Profile for Ascendancy   Email Ascendancy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Laura:
RCL will hold the ship for late flights. Somehow they keep track of those ones who have allowed them to buy the airline tickets and paid for their transfers. If you have made your own flight arrangements and transfer arrangements, RCL has no way of knowing when you arrive and you are screwed.
Always better to go the day before, but the next best thing is to allow the cruise line to buy the plane tickets and handle your transfers. The thing I absolutely cannot stand is when people don't tag their luggage before they fly. The transfer may only be 10 15 minutes from the pier (barring good traffic), but if you have to wait for these idiots to tag their luggage the bus will wait for them to do so. It's not fair at all. If you cannot read your ticket book pior to leaving, then you need to get your own taxi to the pier.

Posts: 354 | From: Aurora, CO | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 02-11-2000 03:43 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is a good thing to have your tags on your bags if you are flying down the day of the cruise, as sometimes the baggage will be pulled and sent directly to the ship. On one of our recent cruises with a small group, we went down the night before and HAL staff were at the carousel and when we got down there they had all the luggage lined up and we just had to identify it. They then had the red cap take it directly to the bus. This was great as we didn't have to lug it out to the bus. And Ascendency is right. If you buy your flight and transfers from the cruise line they will hold the ship for delayed flights. They seem to know these things. Many times we have been delayed sailing waiting for a group from a flight that has been delayed. If you live in a snowbelt, go the day before or if you can manage it 2 days before.
Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
gizmo
First Class Passenger
Member # 972

posted 02-12-2000 10:06 PM      Profile for gizmo   Email gizmo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have done both. Fly the day before and fly the same day. I live in Atlanta GA. so the flight is under 2 hrs. We do are own air since the number of flights out of Atlanta to Florida are numerous. We always get a very early morning flight then rent a car in Miami and go to South Beach for breakfast. There are numerous places to eat and all the art neco is interesting. We then drive over to Bay Side to kill some time before boarding. There are lots of tourist shops, bars, and restraunts. There is an Avis car rental return right on Dodge pier which is very convient. (When renting the car we always make sure the trunk is large enough to hold all the luggage.)
No matter when I leave I always worry about the luggage coming off the plane. I have already started driving my husband crazy on this subject and have 3 weeks to go before we leave. At least I am not watching the weather channel checking on hurricanes!

Posts: 686 | From: Kennesaw Ga. (origianlly from Philly) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
JDCasey
First Class Passenger
Member # 1065

posted 02-14-2000 09:07 AM      Profile for JDCasey   Email JDCasey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When the Cruise Line provide Airline tickets for a cruise, they will make an effort to wait for delayed passengers. But Time and Tide wait for no man or woman. We finally arrived in Miami two and a half hours late. Of the seven I mentioned earlier, four were to sail on Carnival. We lost the first two days of our vacation. The other three, bought their package, including Air, through RCL. Their ship waited two hours and sailed without them. They lost three day of a seven day cruise. The cruise line will not guarantee that connections will be made. They may, as a curtesy, offer a discount on the next cruise but will do nothing about the flight arrangements. If it was the airlines fault don't expect anything other than discounted or free domestic flights.
Ascendancy
First Class Passenger
Member # 840

posted 02-14-2000 03:02 PM      Profile for Ascendancy   Email Ascendancy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
JDCASEY, your's must of been special circumstances. We've had it where the ship waited four hours for a late flight. The Captain announced it over the ship intercom. The only reason I can see for the ship to leave would be the Captain wanted to do the Mustering at a decent hour.
Always better to go the day before. I see that clearly now!

Posts: 354 | From: Aurora, CO | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
JDCasey
First Class Passenger
Member # 1065

posted 02-15-2000 08:27 AM      Profile for JDCasey   Email JDCasey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There were no special circumstances that I know. Our Commuter hop to New York was cancelled. When we arrived at JFK the Airline Rep called both ships and talked to the Captains. Our ship would wait until 05:30 PM the other involved would wait until 06:00 PM.
Both were gone when we arrived in Miami at 06:30. In San Jaun, the first port of call on our cruise, there were about forty people from all over the country waiting at the quay. But that is another story in itself.

We are using the Discount they gave us in March. We are going to Miami 3 days before sailing.

[This message has been edited by JDCasey (edited 02-15-2000).]

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.