- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » 75year olds manhandle young woman on Mercury

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 75year olds manhandle young woman on Mercury
topgun2
First Class Passenger
Member # 975

posted 01-02-2000 06:34 PM      Profile for topgun2   Email topgun2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It may have gotten lost in the shuffle, but a reply not related to the topic was posted elsewhere on this forum. It was claimed that on the Mercury a young lady was attacked by persons over 75 years in age. It was also claimed that blood was drawn. This apparently took place two weeks ago. It sounds bizarre. Can anyone confirm this. Cruising seems to be getting dangerous
Posts: 26 | From: burlington,ont,can | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 01-02-2000 06:56 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is an item which could, unfortunately be blown out of all proportion - the post appears in 'No Kids on Board. Would You Cruise?'. No real details are given. If the lady in question did not lodge a formal complaint, I think onlookers should remain silent.
Anyone who has cruised has met up with rude people - they may be 75+ but it's not necessarily so.
Let's be sure of our facts before we go to press.
An example, I heard on Thursday, Dec. 30'99 that Shirley MacLean (the actress) was on board the hijacked Air India flight - the actual passenger was a lady from Winnipeg with a similar name!

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
topgun2
First Class Passenger
Member # 975

posted 01-02-2000 07:53 PM      Profile for topgun2   Email topgun2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Point well made and accepted. Have tried to cancel topic and unable to do so.Will the administrator pls delete this
Posts: 26 | From: burlington,ont,can | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tasha
First Class Passenger
Member # 948

posted 01-02-2000 08:26 PM      Profile for Tasha   Author's Homepage   Email Tasha   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is perfectly true, this woman had had a Hysterectomy and when she was pushed out of the elevator she fell and started to bleed badly. This was not the only comment made, I was pushed twice for no reason at all. There were a lot of people complaining about about the awful manners on board.
Posts: 18 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
CTrail
First Class Passenger
Member # 64

posted 01-03-2000 08:55 AM      Profile for CTrail     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Topgun2, you really distorted the facts from the post. It did not say anything like that and it was on the topic of "No kids on board, would you cruise" three posts before yours.

Haveagoodone:-)

[This message has been edited by CTrail (edited 01-03-2000).]

Posts: 332 | From: Kitchener, ON Canada | Registered: Apr 99  |  IP: Logged
John Blake
Just Boarded
Member # 978

posted 01-03-2000 03:52 PM      Profile for John Blake   Email John Blake   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You really are rather a tetchy lot arn't you.Tasha said she had problems with elderly people on the Mercury, I was on that cruise too, I have never met so many rude ill mannered people as I did on that cruise. They pushed and shoved, never said pardon. I believe there were a lot of elderly Florida residents that got the cruise cheap. Don't automatically assume someone is making something up.
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 01-03-2000 05:14 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi John Blake - perhaps we are a bit tetchy! It is not usual!
In the circumstances described I would have enquired at the Front Desk or whatever it's called on that ship, if the Seniors were in a group. If the answer was 'Yes' I would have suggested that it's leader be told of the comments and complaints of other passengers. I don't believe any group wants to be labeled 'disruptive'. I've heard that cruise Lines can be very selective when it comes to Groups. If they were travelling as individuals, apart from showing your displeasure of their behaviour, there's not much you can do unless you wish to sink to their level of bad manners.
Stay on board and enjoy our informative and fun exchanges!

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
WJCdiver
First Class Passenger
Member # 946

posted 01-05-2000 06:53 PM      Profile for WJCdiver     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When elderly passenger are rude and aggressive it can spoil the entire cruise for everyone.

Obvioulsy its their parents fault. The just didn't teach them good manners. They need to learn to make them behave.

Franky with all the drinking going on - who knows what the elderly will overhear. Some of the conversation I have overheard is clearly inappropriate for someone of that tender age.

Would anyone consider taking a cruise that does'nt allow anyone over 65?

Posts: 159 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Phil
First Class Passenger
Member # 983

posted 01-05-2000 07:07 PM      Profile for Phil   Email Phil   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I honestly don't find the subject funny, I have experienced the problem of being pushed around without an apology from elderly passengers (not all by any means) but they seem to be a certain type. I am not the only one on other sites I have read about the same problems. Manners have nothing to do with age they should be something we all have.
geno-r
First Class Passenger
Member # 931

posted 01-05-2000 09:48 PM      Profile for geno-r   Email geno-r   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WJC, pretty funny! Maybe if we're on a cruise together someday we can have a drink at the bar and overhear some of those conversations
Posts: 549 | From: Mt. Pocono,Pa. Usa | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 01-05-2000 10:43 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey guys - WJCdiver and Geno-r - I'm over 65, let's make that over 75 or 80!
That was pretty funny.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Phil
First Class Passenger
Member # 983

posted 01-05-2000 11:33 PM      Profile for Phil   Email Phil   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I really feel if you find that funny, bad behavour I mean, you have to be a little sick. This is the problem these days no one seems to care about anybody else. You thinking it funny makes you no better.
MagnmPI
First Class Passenger
Member # 299

posted 01-06-2000 03:07 AM      Profile for MagnmPI     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think we are all in agreement that bad behavior perpetrated by anyone of any age is not acceptable. Phil I understand that you have been victimized by the 65 and up crowd. Were you on the Mercury also? Your opinion is appreciated and noted. I have yet to see such a thing but am anxious to hear from others who have.

That said, I thought WJCdiver's satirical post to be timely and humorous.

[This message has been edited by MagnmPI (edited 01-06-2000).]

Posts: 545 | From: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Phil
First Class Passenger
Member # 983

posted 01-06-2000 12:08 PM      Profile for Phil   Email Phil   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No we had that problem on the Sovereign of the Seas a week before Christmas. Could it be they are selling that week of a cheaply as possible.
asoowal
First Class Passenger
Member # 485

posted 01-13-2000 07:01 PM      Profile for asoowal   Email asoowal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Theese were obviously Carnival Cruisers that moved UP in the world...lol
Posts: 68 | From: Plymouth Meeting, PA, USA | Registered: Feb 99  |  IP: Logged
CTrail
First Class Passenger
Member # 64

posted 01-14-2000 07:40 AM      Profile for CTrail     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Asoowal, that reply sounds like you only thought it through with the first two letters of your username. Don't start throwing stuff like that around or it could go full circle and the term snob will come back to bite you on your butt.

haveagoodday:-)

Posts: 332 | From: Kitchener, ON Canada | Registered: Apr 99  |  IP: Logged
Mercy
First Class Passenger
Member # 322

posted 01-14-2000 10:16 AM      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have experienced RUDE behavior on all my cruises! From all ages including the cruise staff. You just can't let it ruin your cruise. Ignore it, and don't get into a yelling match with anyone. I have been on the Mercury twice. The staff were fantastic. Some passengers were rude. There was a group of Japanese cruising together. I was standing in line at the buffet. A Japanese older man actually physically pushed me aside and they all crowded in front of me! Everyone around us was appalled. I just smiled and said "they must be really hungry" I felt like thumping the little guy on the head, but hey, we are on vacation. I don't however have the same attitude about the cruise staff. It really makes me mad when they are outright rude to you.I saw several bus boys making fun of the passengers on the Elation. I asked one about it and he said they make jokes , so they won't kill themselves, because they are so unhappy with their jobs! That makes for a nice attitude.

[This message has been edited by Mercy (edited 01-14-2000).]

Posts: 697 | From: Stanwood, Wa. USA | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Ascendancy
First Class Passenger
Member # 840

posted 01-14-2000 03:02 PM      Profile for Ascendancy   Email Ascendancy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
People are rude everywhere. And it doesn't matter how old or young. I try not to let them get to me while on vacation. Keep in mind while on a cruise ship, especially the older folks, their equilibrium maybe a little off. What you may think of as a push or shove may have prevented them from falling on their keyster.

Posts: 354 | From: Aurora, CO | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
VOYAGER
First Class Passenger
Member # 1016

posted 01-16-2000 10:50 PM      Profile for VOYAGER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi all! Diversity seems to be an issue here! I guess we have to keep in mind that American culture can differ vastly from cultures abroad! On each and every cruise line, the staff is mostly international. Imagine that they can say and do things that would be considered "rude" or "inappropriate" in our culture, but they wouldn't think of it as such from their point of view. Same goes for the elderly ladies and gentleman. Keep in mind that there is also a diversity issue even between generations and we just need to learn to overcome it!
Posts: 24 | From: Wichita KS | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gordy
First Class Passenger
Member # 1018

posted 01-17-2000 12:43 AM      Profile for Gordy   Email Gordy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've traveled the world pretty much, and I can honestly say that cultural differences do not excuse rudeness. In no society is pushing, hitting or touching for that matter excused as normal behavior. Numerous times I read the comment "try not to let it bother me." Good luck! Chances are you'll be looking for any excuse to complain about rudeness for the rest of the trip, and you'll develop a stereotypical distaste for anyone resembling the perpetrator.
First: Pushing, hitting, shoving are all assault.
Second: Anything you find personally offensive such as yelling in your face, spitting or spewing while yelling are all battery.
Both the above justify self defense. Do us all and yourself a favor and pop that individual. It will make you feel better and might discourage the idiot from doing it to me.
I'm going on a cruise soon and believe me, if anyone behaves as the above testimonials describe, there will be some pain involved, I don't care how old they are. Respect is not automatic due to age, it's earned.

MagnmPI
First Class Passenger
Member # 299

posted 01-18-2000 03:54 PM      Profile for MagnmPI     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow...be careful. What you call self defense may be just retribution. You would still need to determine that person's intent(whether or not they intended to harm you)to be justified in self defense. If you push back just because you were pushed that would make you no better than the other guy. And you would also be perpetuating behavior that you already despise.

Consider detaining the person and calling a crew member. Otherwise run the risk of sitting in a cabin that only locks from the outside.

For the record..."Pushing, hitting, shoving" is battery not assault. And..."Anything you find personally offensive such as yelling in your face, spitting or spewing while yelling(as long as the spit doesn't land on your face)..." is assault not battery.

Posts: 545 | From: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Gordy
First Class Passenger
Member # 1018

posted 01-19-2000 01:28 AM      Profile for Gordy   Email Gordy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the correction PI. I'll make sure and correct my attorney and the Snohomish County Court Judge who ruled otherwise.
Mercy
First Class Passenger
Member # 322

posted 01-19-2000 08:35 AM      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gordy... Hi! I'm from Snohomish County
If you havn't read Magnum PI's profile, he is a police officer and should know something about it?

Posts: 697 | From: Stanwood, Wa. USA | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Gordy
First Class Passenger
Member # 1018

posted 01-19-2000 10:48 PM      Profile for Gordy   Email Gordy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So far I've only been able to get hold of my attorney to correct him. (He didn't like it) Next time I see the Judge I'll make sure and let him know too.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.