- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ship Pictures and Videos   » The Wolfs Dance Oasis of the Seas

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Wolfs Dance Oasis of the Seas
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-22-2010 04:07 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A really cute and very well done 'home video' on an Oasis of the Seas cruise:

code:

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 09-25-2010 09:22 AM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is incredibly creative....WOW! Some of those video effects are like...professional.
Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-25-2010 04:36 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeBarryboat:
That is incredibly creative....WOW! Some of those video effects are like...professional.

It's indeed nicely done. However, these days such effects are actually available with most video editing programs - so there is not excuse on the technical side not to come up with something similar.

LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 09-25-2010 11:19 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some of what they did I can reproduce, but I wouldn't be using some "easy" software that does it for you. I use Final Cut Express, and have been self-taught, and I can do some fun effects but it really takes a lot of work and time and creativity to do some of the things that were done in the Wolfs video. For example, I have no idea how he separated the colors, and then shifted the colors. Like the little girl's shirt would change colors and the background was black & white.....that must be some fancy program that did that, because I have no idea how I would recreate that on Final Cut. I suppose if I some how integrate photoshop I could do some fancy color maneuvers...I'll have to experiment with that one.

My editing skills and creativity are going to be pressed to the limit as I embark on a journalistic trip on the Hurtigruten ships in Norway this October. I want to produce documentaries and videos that stand out, get the point across, and are fun to watch, and truly show the Hurtigruten product, so it will be interesting to see the final results.

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-26-2010 03:50 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Some of what they did I can reproduce, but I wouldn't be using some "easy" software that does it for you. I use Final Cut Express, and have been self-taught, and I can do some fun effects but it really takes a lot of work and time and creativity to do some of the things that were done in the Wolfs video.

Well, Final Cut Express is indeed the simple program for editing videos. You might want to upgrade since you seem to spend so much time on your films. According to the comment at YouTube the above video has been edited with Final Cut Pro and Apple Motion - programs which are pretty much standard these days.

Of course, just because someone has a piano at home does not mean that this person is a concert pianist. My point is: It's not 'fancy technology' (which finally isn't fancy these days) but indeed creativity and hard work that makes this video stand out.

Beside that, let's not forget that usually 'less is more' - these effects are perfectly fine for the above 'fun' video but usually people make the mistake to use too much of that stuff - more effects available are not a guarantee for a more 'professional' or better video - more the contrary (I would still recommend you to upgrade to a slightly more professional editing software giving what you try to do).

quote:
[QB[....]
My editing skills and creativity are going to be pressed to the limit as I embark on a journalistic trip on the Hurtigruten ships in Norway this October. [....][/QB]

I am looking forward to see what you bring back from your Hurtigruten trip. It will indeed be a challenge for many reasons, also because there is a lot of excellent material on Hurtigruten already 'out there' (Maybe more than on any other ships?).

[ 09-26-2010: Message edited by: Ernst ]

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 09-26-2010 08:49 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now THATS about the best home video I have ever seen. Just so cute the way the little girl looks at the doughnut and sings "I love you...". Royal Caribbean could take some pointers from this little work of art. Wonderful!
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 09-26-2010 09:30 AM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would still recommend you to upgrade to a slightly more professional editing software giving what you try to do

Actually there isn't much difference between Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro....in fact there are a number of box office movies that were edited on Final Cut Pro, like Eat Pray Love with Julia Roberts for example. I noticed the Wolfs also used some features in iMovie which I have used too, but that is a very simple program in contrast to Final Cut Express which has a significant learning curve. I agree with you that "Less is more", particularly with the type of videos I am trying to produce. Another element to the Wolfs video is "Planning". To make a video like that where everyone in the family sings along to the song while being on the flow rider for example, takes some choreography and planning, so I applaud them for that....seems like he really took his video seriously while on the cruise and he got an excellent result.

I have searched Hurtigruten online and haven't found many videos or journalistic documentaries. And there isn't much out there, that's decent material, about one particular place we are going, which is Reine Lofoten. We will spend three nights in a little fishing cabin in Reine, and as a photographer I can't wait...the scenery there is breathtaking. I hope to feature Hurtigruten in a way it has not been done before, and really expose what the Hurtigruten experience is like.

Here's my launch page for the Hurtigruten trip

[ 09-26-2010: Message edited by: LeBarryboat ]

joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 09-26-2010 10:11 AM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
... And there isn't much out there, that's decent material, about one particular place we are going, which is Reine Lofoten...

Have you seen these Reine Lofoten videos?

More here.

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-26-2010 11:46 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
[...]
Actually there isn't much difference between Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro....

I just had a brief look and it seems as if there indeed isn't that much of a difference for the amateur - of course, you can e.g. use Adobe After Effects plug-ins with the Pro version (if you don't have the effects used in the video above). Personally, I am mostly using Adobe products and there are no effects that could not be reproduced easily with Adobe Premiere in the concerned video clip from a technical point of view - as said, no excuse here.

quote:
[...]
I agree with you that "Less is more", particularly with the type of videos I am trying to produce.

Absolutely. You try to do something very different.

quote:
[...]
Another element to the Wolfs video is "Planning".

Exactly.

quote:
[...]
I have searched Hurtigruten online and haven't found many videos or journalistic documentaries. And there isn't much out there, that's decent material, about one particular place we are going, which is Reine Lofoten. [...]

Oh, there are MYRIADS of videos on Hurtigruten - and also a lot of really good one's. Joe posted already concerning the Lofoten - below the result of a quick (!) 'search' on Hurtigruten - look also at all the links to even more clips displayed on all these pages:

(one of the) Official Clips

German Documentary

...another German Documentary....

I don't know how many documentaries there are from German TV stations - there seem to be several new one's every year.

Hurtigruten Home Video

Series of French Home Videos

Series of German Home Videos

Nordsternjen

Ms Lofoten in stormy seas (not really good quality but still fascinating)

Abord MS Nordsternjen

As said, this is just a random selection and I hope you can use this as an inspiration for your upcoming trip. Visiting Norway is always a fantastic experience and I am looking forward to see your material.

[ 09-26-2010: Message edited by: Ernst ]

LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 09-28-2010 10:51 AM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the links Ernst!

I have seen many of these already...I did a Bing video search and a google search. Spent hours watching videos. I think my style will be a good fit with the plethora of videos...I still have yet to see a real quality overview and video of Reine, Lofoten...so I'll do my best to feature that amazing place in HD video and photos.

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-28-2010 11:31 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
[...]I still have yet to see a real quality overview and video of Reine, Lofoten...[...]

I seriously don't know what you mean since there is such a lot on the Lofoten islands that I have a hard time to pick something from a random search to post here!

Reine is indeed a very lovely village but it's also a very, very small village. You indeed won't find many videos exclusively on Reine but it's a prominent spot and certainly part of the 'standard repertoire' of most photographers who go to Norway - and a lot of photographers go there - for a reason .

Just for the fun another nice German TV documentary on Hurtigruten.

Film from a trip through Lofoten (Norwegian Tourism Agency)

another film on the Lofoten islands

video stock footage on Lofoten islands

I hope all that is up to your standards.

As said - this was just a short random search. I don't have the time to do this more extensively (and I actually now want to watch some of the videos I just found ).

LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 09-28-2010 08:47 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

I hope all that is up to your standards.

Thanks for looking up these links Ernst! Don't get me wrong, I agree there are many videos out there, but most of them I saw were very poor quality. The documentaries in German were decent. Let me rephrase....there's not much in the USA market featuring Lofoten, or from an American perspective. That's why it will be fun to produce content from an American perspective on Hurtigruten and Lofoten. I'll probably interview the Captain, and visit the engine room. Talk to the people running the excursions. Offer commentary on the Norwegian food. Explore the quaint little towns. My objective is to produce content so my audience can live vicariously through me.

Thanks for all your comments on this Ernst!

oslo dutch
First Class Passenger
Member # 4669

posted 09-29-2010 03:13 AM      Profile for oslo dutch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've just been on a 4 day Hurtigruten trip on Troll fjord from Bodø to Kirkenes and it was wonderful!

Hurtigruten is very different than a regular US market cruiseliner but nevertheless a great experience.

The entertainment is outside as you sail along the Norwegian Coast all the way. No bingo etc. On Trollfjord there was a bar musician playing in the evening that's all.

Last time I was with an American friend on Finnmarken who did have issues with the Norwegian food. Once again this is no average cruiseline, you just blend in and take it for what it is.

Which ship are you on and are you taking the full round trip? It can get a bit dark during that time, but if you are lucky you might get to see the Northern lights .-)

Reint

Posts: 349 | From: Oslo | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 09-29-2010 10:02 AM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm doing the southbound from Kirkenes on the Nordlys, then we get off the ship in Stamsund and we will stay for three nights in Reine, Lofoten. We get back on the Trollfjord from Samsund to Bergen.
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-29-2010 01:43 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm doing the southbound from Kirkenes on the Nordlys, then we get off the ship in Stamsund and we will stay for three nights in Reine, Lofoten. We get back on the Trollfjord from Samsund to Bergen.

Excellent. Visiting the bridge or the engine room should not be a problem - the crew is usually very nice and cooperative.

Now let's figure out some nerdy schedule details: You leave Kirkenes on the 2nd of October or the 13th of October and Stamsund on on the 7th or 18th of October? If I am not wrong, this means that the ship you will meet at Trondheim is Nordlys. That's a pity insofar as you won't have the opportunity to visit a ship you have not yet seen while at Trondheim (it finally does not matter since there are 'also' other things to do at Trondheim ). Of course, you will meet other Hurtigruten ships while at sea. You can figure out easily at which time of the day this is going to happen so that you are prepared to shoot even more 'Hurtigruten ship X meets Hurtigruten ship Y' videos . Don't forget, whatever you do, you will be watched.

I hope the weather will be on your side (fingers crossed). Personally, I do not have any preferences but it helps if it's you are not surrounded by dense fog all the time if you want to see (and take pictures) of the landscape. I am also very curious whether you will go to Trollfjord at this time of the year.

P.S.: I nearly forgot: Some information on Aurora Borealis - NOAA Space Weather.

[ 09-29-2010: Message edited by: Ernst ]

oslo dutch
First Class Passenger
Member # 4669

posted 09-30-2010 03:07 AM      Profile for oslo dutch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We did go into Trollfjord 3 weeks ago. The ships will go in there every north- and southbound trip as long as it's possible. When we went in it was already dark but the ship lighted up the enormous steep rock walls and it was very impressive again.

In Trondheim you will be able to hop over to the other ship just like you can do in Rørvik the evening before. At sea it will be announced every time when you meet another ship going north or southbound

Reint

Posts: 349 | From: Oslo | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 10-01-2010 09:51 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Back to the Wolf video. I think they were looking for RCL to buy it for a commercial. IMHO.
F4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 10-01-2010 10:08 AM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes back to the Wolf video...I think he used an SLR digital camera that also does video to film a lot of the video. I too have a Nikon D90 which I use for a lot of my HD videos.
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 10-01-2010 10:18 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty 4:
Back to the Wolf video. I think they were looking for RCL to buy it for a commercial. IMHO.
F4

It is indeed good publicity for Royal Caribbean and it would be nice if they rewarded that somehow but I don't think that this was the intention of this video. I guess they simply did it 'for themselves' and to have some fun.

quote:
Yes back to the Wolf video...I think he used an SLR digital camera that also does video to film a lot of the video. I too have a Nikon D90 which I use for a lot of my HD videos.

This is indeed the trend. At the end of the day I still prefer my video camera (at this time) but the abilities of these photo cameras are actually amazing.

LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 10-01-2010 04:41 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe I should have the Wolfs on my show?
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 10-01-2010 07:16 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Barry, wouldn't you need a SD card with a lot of megs? Of course I guess you could use more than one card and edit the video. I have a D80 and wish I had waited (D90)but cameras etc. change so fast it's hard to keep up. I did buy a longer telephoto lens (Nikon) the 18-135mm-came with camera, is good but 200mm or even 300mm is much better.
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 11-16-2010 09:37 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Reporters at Sea Contest: Meet the winners who will sail on Allure of the Seas"

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/11/allure-of-the-seas-royal-caribbean-cruise-contest-reporters-at-sea/131134/1

CONGRATULATIONS to the Wolf Family!!!

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
JohnHJ
First Class Passenger
Member # 30846

posted 11-16-2010 12:46 PM      Profile for JohnHJ   Author's Homepage   Email JohnHJ   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Maybe I should have the Wolfs on my show?

I think that would be a great idea Barry. You could approach the show from two angles....your mutual love of cruising, and you both could share some of your technical video tips with everyone. I'd like to see that show.

Posts: 60 | From: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
jeffrossatsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 2962

posted 11-23-2010 12:20 AM      Profile for jeffrossatsea   Email jeffrossatsea   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i love the wolfs dance on the oasis...great video...jeff
Posts: 1118 | From: vancouver | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 11-25-2010 11:08 AM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:
My point is: It's not 'fancy technology' (which finally isn't fancy these days) but indeed creativity and hard work that makes this video stand out.

Well, I'm a pretty simple soul, but what I liked was the effort and planning that went into making this video. It was great fun, even if it was "only" a home video.

Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.