- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line said today that while rescue and remediation efforts continue in Baltimore Harbor following the collapse of the Key Bridge, it will temporarily move Carnival Legend’s Baltimore operations to Norfolk, Virginia. Carnival Legend is scheduled to return from its current voyage on Sunday, March 31. It will now return to Norfolk on Sunday, and guests will...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc today announced it has signed an agreement with Meyer Werft shipyard for a fifth Excel-class cruise ship for its namesake Carnival Cruise Line brand, with the delivery set for 2028. In mid-February Carnival Corporation had announced the first newbuild order placed in five years with news that a fourth Excel-class ship would join the Carnival Cruise Line...

Latest News...Four Seasons, together with luxury yachting company Marc-Henry Cruise Holdings Ltd, Joint Owner/Operator, Four Seasons Yachts, and venerated Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri, continues to chart a new course of luxury at sea. As momentum builds towards the inaugural season of Four Seasons Yachts, the first 10 unique voyages are unveiled, each inviting travellers to make the iconic islands...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Idle Chatter   » Earthquake!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Earthquake!
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-23-2011 02:28 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Holy crap! I was laying in bed and my apartment building shook. The epicenter is in Mineral, VA and I felt it here. They evacuated the school beside my apartment. It was felt all the way from Rhode Island to the Carolinas at 5.9 magnitude.
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 08-23-2011 02:37 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We are getting San Francisco's weather and you are getting earthquakes!
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-23-2011 02:44 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Two nuclear reactors taken offline near earthquake epicenter. Tens of thousands evacuated from NYC and DC office buildings. Felt as far west as Cincinnati and Columbus, Ohio, as far north as Boston and as far south as Chapel Hill.
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-23-2011 03:50 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not sure a 5.9 would barely get a mention on the LA news! LOL

Times that magnitude by about 10, and that was the Northridge Earthquake in 1994. Never forget that one and don't ever want to go through another one like it.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-23-2011 04:20 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Was just watching some geologist on the news. He was saying that because of the dense rock structure of the area surrounding the epicenter it was felt wider and stronger than an equivalent sized earthquake in California. I am 200 miles away from the epicenter and my building actually shook. I thought a truck hit the building! Definitely the highlight of my day and about 100 million others in a dozen different states.
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-23-2011 04:29 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
Not sure a 5.9 would barely get a mention on the LA news! LOL Ernie

Apparently FOX News thought the same. Shepard Smith all but dismissed the event and went to live coverage of Libya, the Neil Cavuto interviewed Jeb Bush.

Next I'm sure they'll have the Tea Party analysis of the quake, then later tonight analysis from Huckabee, Hannity, Bachman, Palin, etc.

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-23-2011 04:44 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
Was just watching some geologist on the news. He was saying that because of the dense rock structure of the area surrounding the epicenter it was felt wider and stronger than an equivalent sized earthquake in California. I am 200 miles away from the epicenter and my building actually shook. I thought a truck hit the building! Definitely the highlight of my day and about 100 million others in a dozen different states.

"Ground Acceleration" measures how hard the earth actually shook, rather than the total energy of an earthquake which is
the Richter Scale measurement. I know the Northridge (LA) earthquake had one of the highest ground acceleration measurements recorded in an urban area. It was pretty severe and it also happened at 4am when everyone was sleeping which made it even more frightening. Buildings and freeways collapsed and unfortunately people were killed. LA was pretty much put on lockdown for fear of looting and we had a curfew for at least a week. My apartment was in Hollywood on the 8th floor and I had a view of the LA basin. I remember thinking the building was actually collapsing as dishes, my TV, and even my kitchen ceiling were crashing around me. Everything was pitch black. I got the courage to step on my balcony and it was so eerie. The city was blacked out except for flashes of light from transformers that were blowing out. The sound of car alarms broke the utter silence and then there were some fires seen around the city. I slept at a friends house in Encino for a week after, not that we slept much with all the aftershocks.

Certainly something I will never forget or want to go through again.

Ernie

DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 08-23-2011 05:19 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And the New Madrid Fault here in the Midwest was between this quake and the one in Colorado this morning........................................
Posts: 687 | From: Olney, IL, Move to FL 02/2015, Sailed SS NORWAY 3 xs. /May '99 Orig. Reg. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 08-23-2011 05:31 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

"Ground Acceleration" measures how hard the earth actually shook, rather than the total energy of an earthquake which is
the Richter Scale measurement. I know the Northridge (LA) earthquake had one of the highest ground acceleration measurements recorded in an urban area. It was pretty severe and it also happened at 4am when everyone was sleeping which made it even more frightening. Buildings and freeways collapsed and unfortunately people were killed. LA was pretty much put on lockdown for fear of looting and we had a curfew for at least a week. My apartment was in Hollywood on the 8th floor and I had a view of the LA basin. I remember thinking the building was actually collapsing as dishes, my TV, and even my kitchen ceiling were crashing around me. Everything was pitch black. I got the courage to step on my balcony and it was so eerie. The city was blacked out except for flashes of light from transformers that were blowing out. The sound of car alarms broke the utter silence and then there were some fires seen around the city. I slept at a friends house in Encino for a week after, not that we slept much with all the aftershocks.

Certainly something I will never forget or want to go through again.

Ernie

I slept soundly through that quake. And I was only a few miles from the epicenter in Burbank. I do remember the aftermath though.

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-23-2011 05:54 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cunard Fan:

I slept soundly through that quake. And I was only a few miles from the epicenter in Burbank. I do remember the aftermath though.

Hard to believe anyone could sleep through an earthquake that toppled freeways and buildings. The violent shaking literally threw me out of bed, as things were crashing all around me. Either your area didn't get the brunt of the shaking, you're a very heavy sleeper, or you were just a baby at the time and were oblivious.

Ernie

Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 08-23-2011 06:41 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Hard to believe anyone could sleep through an earthquake that toppled freeways and buildings. The violent shaking literally threw me out of bed, as things were crashing all around me. Either your area didn't get the brunt of the shaking, you're a very heavy sleeper, or you were just a baby at the time and were oblivious.

Ernie

We still joke about it today, everyone else in my family was wakened (like you said it was very strong) but not me. I was pretty young (4) and a pretty heavy sleeper (I could sleep through almost anything). I did wake up right after though and I remember the rest of the night quite clearly...like you said above, it was eerie.

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-23-2011 06:54 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cunard Fan:

We still joke about it today, everyone else in my family was wakened (like you said it was very strong) but not me. I was pretty young (4) and a pretty heavy sleeper (I could sleep through almost anything). I did wake up right after though and I remember the rest of the night quite clearly...like you said above, it was eerie.

You were lucky to sleep through it! Funny how they say kids can sleep through anything. It's so true. When I was a kid I could sleep through anything too. The older I get the more of a light sleeper I become. It sucks.

Ernie

Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 08-23-2011 07:11 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes we have the New Madrid fault to worry about. They say St. Louis would be in shambles if and when this Earthquake occurs. We have had a few slight tremors over the years but a big one is expected in the near future.
I was in the Navy and at El Centro, NAS (CA.) in 1959 when at 10:30PM the whole barracks shook with an aftershock about a half hour later. Was pretty scary. Common for California. San Andreas fault runs right through that area where the base was.
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-23-2011 07:33 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty 4:
Yes we have the New Madrid fault to worry about. They say St. Louis would be in shambles if and when this Earthquake occurs. We have had a few slight tremors over the years but a big one is expected in the near future.

Frosty 4

What is the "near future"? A hundred years or five? No one can predict earthquakes or their frequency. The best they can do is look at historical data which often times is not very accurate. Seismologists have predicted "the big one" in California happening any day now for about 20 years. Still hasn't happened. It may happen tomorrow or a hundred years from now. No way of telling so you live your life hopefully not in fear, and just be as prepared as you can.

Ernie

DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 08-23-2011 09:34 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
About "Near future", well as with anything regarding those words. All we can go on is the current data available with New Madrid and Wabash Valley Faults in this region. We will have a catastrophic quake 'soon', it's just the way it could happen. Sure, we can't see these fault lines like the San Andreas. However, we are getting close to our "Big One" because of recent changes in tectonic plates, the quake that occured in Haiti, then these two quakes today; are adding to the pressure that will cause the spring to open. It's just the time.
Posts: 687 | From: Olney, IL, Move to FL 02/2015, Sailed SS NORWAY 3 xs. /May '99 Orig. Reg. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-23-2011 11:59 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DAMBROSI2:
About "Near future", well as with anything regarding those words. All we can go on is the current data available with New Madrid and Wabash Valley Faults in this region. We will have a catastrophic quake 'soon', it's just the way it could happen. Sure, we can't see these fault lines like the San Andreas. However, we are getting close to our "Big One" because of recent changes in tectonic plates, the quake that occured in Haiti, then these two quakes today; are adding to the pressure that will cause the spring to open. It's just the time.

I think these predictions are all speculation. The technology just doesn't exist today, and we are talking about plates changing over a period of thousands of years, so ambiguous terms such as "soon" and "near future" are just that, ambiguous. It could mean tomorrow or a hundred years from now relative to the creation and movement of these plates. I've read some articles that speculate that the New Madrid fault may be shutting down due to lack of any movement so who knows?

Of course I'm sure if you are watching your local news they are putting on all kinds of experts talking about the risk of earthquakes in your area. The same story I'm sure is being repeated in cities all over the US. It's the topic of the day and the news will sensationalize it to the extreme. Next week it will all be forgotten and we will have something else to talk about. It's one reason I don't watch TV news. Too much sensationalism to the point of being ridiculous. I prefer to just read the facts online from reputable sources and form my own opinions.

Ernie

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-24-2011 12:25 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sure, it was no Northridge or Indonesia or Japan, but it was the largest recorded earthquake in 114 years to hit Virginia. And it was felt over an extensive area (22 states) of the east coast. Maybe this little 5.8 earthquake was a wake up call to make us aware, and prepare, for any future events.

[ 08-24-2011: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 08-24-2011 12:30 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

You were lucky to sleep through it! Funny how they say kids can sleep through anything. It's so true. When I was a kid I could sleep through anything too. The older I get the more of a light sleeper I become. It sucks.

Ernie

Also the 1994 Northridge quake was far stronger in certain parts of the LA basin. As an example it was extremely strong in the San Fernando Valley and Santa Monica (where it traveled under the Santa Monica mountains and through the canyon) but next door in Brentwood and a couple of miles farther in Beverly Hills there was little damage yet nearby Hollywood had far more damage. It was very selective where it shook the hardest!

nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 08-24-2011 01:03 AM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While it was a small earthquake people who are not accustomed to any earthquakes find this frighting.

I have lived within the NYC area for all of my 30 years and ironically this was the 2nd earthquake I have lived through! Back in the mid-80's there was a small earthquake that began in the bronx and traveled up into Westchester County where I live and I remember being terrified. I was 5 and frightened and while that was like a 3 on the scale I felt it!. I never forgot it!

Today I was in my car at the mall and all of a sudden my car was rocking go to look at the other cars and they where all doing the same and realized it was a quake. I almost had flashbacks from when I was 5! Kind of strange however things that bother you from childhood always remains and honestly until today I always had this gut feeling that the east coast or nyc would have an earthquake again.

Ironically, last month I was in San Francisco and up on an Alaskan cruise and was releived when I got home thinking I dodged any possible earthquakes!

Nevertheless, despite it being very small here in the NYC area. I am sure people in California, Alaska or out west are yawning however it was a bit scary for those of us not used to it.

[ 08-24-2011: Message edited by: nycruiser ]

[ 08-24-2011: Message edited by: nycruiser ]

Posts: 665 | From: Westchester County, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-24-2011 01:47 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I filled this form out:

Anyone else who felt it can report their experience to the USGS

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/

Select the VIRGINIA event
with the 5.8 level magnitude (the main event and not the aftershocks)
and EVENT TIME of 2011-08-23 17:51:04 UTC
EVENT ID = SE082311A

[ 08-24-2011: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 08-24-2011 10:20 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The History Channel has had shows about eathquakes, plate movements,fault lines etc.
Scientists monitor pressures along these areas and although not precise they can say with some certainty that quakes will occur "Soon" Sure we can't say exactly when but the data shows the possibility that a quake can occur.
Volcanic eruptions are also monitored (Volcanoes lay on the plate/fault lines.) NOTE: not everywhere.
Iceland is very active as we have seen lately with ash affecting flights to Europe.
F4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 08-24-2011 04:01 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The real scary part is that many of the buildings on the east coast were not designed to withstand even a moderate quake.

Here in LA we lost many beautiful historic structures in the 1933 Long Beach quake and more in the 1971 Sylmar quake. What was left has be retrofitted to reduce the chance of additional damage or complete collapse.

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-24-2011 04:40 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:
What was left has be retrofitted to reduce the chance of additional damage or complete collapse.

It's one reason you don't see a lot of brick in LA, and the brick buildings you do see have these little steel circles on the sides which are connected to reinforcing rods on the inside.

It's scary to think what would happen to NY in a major quake. Half the city (especially the outer boroughs) is built out of brick. I've never seen so much brick as the neighborhood in Queens that I lived in. High rise brick structures even (and not pretty). Anyway in a major quake that would all come tumbling down. Thankfully the chances of a California style major quake seem slim at best.

One thing that always surprised and scared me about LA is that it's essentially a gas city, with natural gas pipes running underneath the entire city. It seems no matter how well you retrofit the buildings, if those gas lines break you have the potential for massive fires breaking out. Then there are the areas like Marina del Rey where the ground is prone to liquefaction, and basically everything could collapse in a major quake.

Even as prepared as LA is for a major quake, you can expect significant damage and death should the "big one" ever occur. There are also numerous faults running through LA, which increases the probability of a major quake. Some speculate one of these faults (under downtown or the Westside) could produce more damage than the San Andreas.

Ernie

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.