- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Idle Chatter   » This nasty Summer weather

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This nasty Summer weather
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 07-23-2011 09:43 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last night in 3 hours we got 6 to 8 inches of rain with more coming. Flooding. Upper 90s to 100 degrees here in Illinois. The whole central US is baking.
Texas and Oklahoma seem to have the worst----very dry conditions and HEAT.
A month and a half to go --- Alaska.
I have always said that Labor Day is the first day of Winter!!! Usually turns colder then.
I love the Fall,warm days and cool nights.

Frosty 4--LOL

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 07-23-2011 10:53 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I much prefer winter, even when we get several inches of snow. I can dress is layers and adjust the heat to accommodate my level of comfort. Summer is just plain miserable. I don't have central air and the window units can't get it cool enough without stripping down to my shorts.
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 07-23-2011 12:43 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I LOVE hot weather and this 99F-105F is perfect for me. I do like A/C when inside. I wouldn't want to sleep in this heat so there you have it. I dislike winter and therefore escape to FL for as long as I can each winter.
Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 07-23-2011 01:37 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I got used to the weather in FL, after living there for nearly 28 yrs. The Midwest is much hotter that's for sure, at least we get those seabreeze fronts that come in the evening down FL and we don't get that here. Oooooh, I wish I could get moved down there now.
Posts: 687 | From: Olney, IL, Move to FL 02/2015, Sailed SS NORWAY 3 xs. /May '99 Orig. Reg. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 07-23-2011 01:46 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not to gloat but so far we have had a wonderful summer here in Southern California. It was between 72-80 yesterday here in L.A. and in the low 60s in the evenings. We went to see Dolly Parton at the Hollywood Bowl last night and needed jackets as the chilly marine layer rolled in. I've slept w/a blanket for most of the summer this year while the days have been moderate to warm all summer w/our usual lack of humidity.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 07-25-2011 11:10 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll take Minnesota weather any day with the "seasons", unlike southern California, where I lived for 9 years....what a zoo and the weather is boring, except when the Santa Anas move in. Florida is like a 3rd world country these days, Texas is too hot - and I've never figured out the Texas twang. If I could choose any where to live in the world, I might be interested in island life in St Thomas.
Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 07-26-2011 10:13 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Barry, Hurricanes!!!
I had a friend that lived on Mauii for 4 years and had to return to the mainland. It's an island and after a while it really gets boring. Oddly enough he moved to Austin,TX.??? Go figure???
Frosty 4

Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 07-26-2011 02:33 PM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If it may be a consolation : here in northwestern Europe it is not midsummer but late autumn, grey rain wind storm 18-19°c, on midday !
The sun is a seldom seen visitor.
J

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 07-26-2011 03:09 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty 4:
Barry, Hurricanes!!!
I had a friend that lived on Mauii for 4 years and had to return to the mainland. It's an island and after a while it really gets boring.

We sent our parents to Maui for a month 18-years ago and my mom (who was a city girl) went stir crazy. She ended up flying to Honolulu by herself several times just to be around more action. They cut their stay short by a week and flew back to the mainland. Island fever is real for many people.

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 07-26-2011 03:11 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oddly enough he moved to Austin,TX.??? Go figure???
Frosty 4

If you have to live in Texas, Austin is the best place IMO.

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 07-26-2011 05:29 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:
Not to gloat but so far we have had a wonderful summer here in Southern California. It was between 72-80 yesterday here in L.A. and in the low 60s in the evenings. We went to see Dolly Parton at the Hollywood Bowl last night and needed jackets as the chilly marine layer rolled in. I've slept w/a blanket for most of the summer this year while the days have been moderate to warm all summer w/our usual lack of humidity.

Every time I look at the weather for LA it looks cold. A little too chilly for me in summer, especially after the cold and wet winter you had. When I'm by the pool or ocean I like to feel the heat! I do admit the no humidity is nice, but I'm used to it now and it's better for my skin. Last time I was in Vegas I kept getting bloody noses. The air was just too dry.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 07-26-2011 05:33 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I also love our intense thunder and lightning storms here in South Florida and the beautiful tropical cloud formations. Liquid sunshine is also cool and we get plenty of rainbows too. What else is neat is that one minute it can be sunny and the next a tropical downpour. I've also seen it rain on one side of the street and be dry on the other.

Ernie

Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 07-26-2011 07:27 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
I also love our intense thunder and lightning storms here in South Florida and the beautiful tropical cloud formations. Liquid sunshine is also cool and we get plenty of rainbows too. What else is neat is that one minute it can be sunny and the next a tropical downpour. I've also seen it rain on one side of the street and be dry on the other.

Ernie

Even though I would never ever want to move back to the South (or at least Northeast Louisiana....that was culture shock) after living there for 3 years, there is one thing I do miss... the storms (I love stormy weather), especially "heat storms" ..being from LA I had never seen anything quite like those. One thing I will say about CA rain over the rain in Louisiana is that, when it does rain here, it seems to stick around longer. Over there it would pour for a few minutes to a few hours and then it would be gone...here in CA it can stick around for days (maybe the mountains here are to blame for that??).

As for the heat, to me it has seemed like a hot summer so far but then again, I am living in one of Pasadena's old craftsman houses and there in no air conditioning except for a floor unit. I guess it's also worth mentioning that the weather varies depending on what part of LA County you are in.

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 07-26-2011 08:00 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cunard Fan:

I guess it's also worth mentioning that the weather varies depending on what part of LA County you are in.

That is true. The L.A. area is made up of microclimates w/everything from the often hot inland communities to the cool and sometimes damp coastal areas. We do have the best weather in the country (and pay for it!) w/options for different tastes. I lived in Santa Monica and Brentwood for years after college and those areas can be actually cool and damp in summer (like San Francisco) while where we live now in the Hollywood Hills we get a combination of plenty of sunshine plus the cooling ocean breezes. Can't be beat!

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 07-26-2011 09:29 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:

We do have the best weather in the country (and pay for it!) w/options for different tastes.

Well I suppose that depends on who you ask. I know a lot of people that would hate the LA weather. Personally I enjoyed it but it's not for everyone.

During the almost 15 years I lived in LA, I spent most of it on the westside (Brentwood, West LA, Santa Monica). It could be pretty chilly even in Summer and rarely did I need air conditioning. I did need heat every winter and that is something you almost never need in Miami. My last few years in LA we moved to a house in Glendale and what a difference. Very very hot with a fair amount of 100 degree days or close to it during the summer months.

One thing I didn't like is when it rained in LA. LA is not the most attractive city to begin with, and when it rains the city is very dreary and downright ugly looking (there are a lot of overhead wires in LA which doesn't help). Also it's usually cold when it rains and it can be socked in for days. Seems this past winter the forecast showed cold and rain almost every time I looked. I much prefer Miami winters which are warm and relatively dry. I also prefer Miami beaches and ocean which feel and look like the Caribbean.

So perhaps summers in LA and winters in Miami would be ideal for me. I would just make sure I didn't go west until after the "June Gloom".

Ernie

Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 07-27-2011 10:40 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I spent some time in San Diego,actually North Island Naval Air Station 58-60. We had the coastal cloudliness almost every night. Cool and damp.Nice warm sunny days.
I would go to LA on the weekends. At that time the SMOG was very bad.
I never had a chance to see how the weather was during Jan-July as I was on 2 Carriers that went to WESTPAC( the Far East).I guess early in the year is the rainy season. I heard mud slides then.
I guess there is really no perfect place for weather.
Frosty 4

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 07-27-2011 02:07 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

Well I suppose that depends on who you ask. I know a lot of people that would hate the LA weather. Personally I enjoyed it but it's not for everyone.

Ernie

True. If you love heat combined w/humidity stay away from L.A.! Fall and Spring are the best times here as the heavy rains in Winter can be over-the-top. June gloom keeps us cool but it can be Seattle depressing!

I actually think parts of the LA area are stunning. The coast up towards Malibu is gorgeous as is Malibu Canyon, our mountains, Pasadena, Brentwood, N Santa Monica, Laguna Beach etc. are all beautiful. Of course those are pricey areas (usually w/underground wires ) and there are also plenty of crappy areas that every city has. I remember a recent trip to Rome and Paris and thought how really ugly the outskirts of those cities are. Can't all be beauties

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 07-27-2011 02:14 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I would go to LA on the weekends. At that time the SMOG was very bad.
Frosty 4

Our smog was bad in the 1950s through the 1970s during the Summer months. All those giant Buicks, Mercurys and Cadillacs etc. pumped incredible amounts of pollution out their tailpipes!

Today we rarely if ever have 'smog alerts' (as we did in the 50s through the 70s) in the LA Basin except in the far interior communities such as Riverside. Some people today confuse the thick marine layer w/smog.

Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 07-27-2011 02:46 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The SMOG had a definite smell to it. Your eyes would burn also.
The nice thing about LA and CA is you can go to the beach,desert,and mountains in short order. So you can select the climate.
I remember going to the beach and within an hour+ I could be in the mountains with snow. At the ski lifts.This was in December.
F4

Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 08-03-2011 12:39 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
More storms last night with the usual power outages.
Today will be in the low 80s and 64 tonight.
OPEN THE WINDOWS!!!
I feel for those in TX and OK. 100s every day.
I just wonder what this Winter will be like???
Frosty 4

Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 08-03-2011 01:19 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Funny, during the Winter when there is some cold and snow, a number of people make snide remarks and jokes about global warming. Haven't heard from many of those people over the last few months!

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 08-03-2011 02:48 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
24/7 news cycle now has more time to fill now that the current round of debt talks and the Casey Anthony trial are over

It's summer and it's hot-that is the way it usually is I remember going back to school here in Southern California in mid-September and we always seemed to get another week of high temps after an early September cool-down. Those were also the days when few if any classrooms in the area had a/c or even a fan!

Overall it has been a very pleasant Summer here expect for a few nasty days recently when the humid desert monsoons made there way over the mountains. Usually our 'natural a/c' ocean breezes keeps the intense desert weather from entering much of the Southern CA area.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.