- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Idle Chatter   » Dr Who 2011 (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Dr Who 2011
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-03-2011 07:32 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trailer: See Here

The key issues for the new series seem to be who is River Song and what or who is the "Silence"?

[ 03-04-2011: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 03-13-2011 07:43 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm looking forward this new series immensely. I think River Song is the most interesting character for a long time; far more so than The Companion(s).
Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-13-2011 09:36 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Did anyone see 'Sherlock' last year, written by Steven Moffat:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t4pgh

I thought that it was very good!

The guy playing 'Shelock' played it in a similar way to Matt Smith plays the new Dr.

[ 03-14-2011: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 03-13-2011 04:28 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder how long before we get it on BBC America?
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 03-13-2011 04:31 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
I wonder how long before we get it on BBC America?

The new season premiers on BBC America on Saturday, April 23rd.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 03-14-2011 12:13 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerrich:
The new season premiers on BBC America on Saturday, April 23rd. Rich

Thanks, Rich. Will have to make sure to set my DVR. In all likelyhood I will end up recording a few weeks before I can get the chance to watch them.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-15-2011 07:12 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Steven Moffat: All Aboard the Ghost Train!

05th Apr 2011

Steven Moffat is Doctor Who's lead writer and Executive Producer. He recently took time out to answer questions about the new series, spilling some secrets about mystery, monsters and a momentous cliff-hanger...

How has this series evolved from last year?

Steven Moffat: Well we've moved through the funfair a bit - we've done the rollercoaster, now we're on the ghost train. Last year, in a way, was all about saying, don't worry, it's still him, it's still the same show, nothing's really been lost. Losing a leading man like David Tennant is seismic - unless you gain a leading man like Matt Smith. It's been the biggest joy to see him stride in and just claim that TARDIS for his own. But now he's really here, and the part is his, and the bow tie is cool, he's ready to lead us places we didn't know existed. Last year we reassured you - this year, to hell with that, we're going to worry the hell out of you. How well do we really know that man, or what he's capable of? We're putting the Who? back in the Doctor.

Is there a major story arc to look out for?

Oh, there's a big story being told this year, and major mysteries from the very off. As ever, in this show, the stories all stand alone, and every episode is a perfect jumping-on point for a new viewer. But at the same time the over-arching plot will be a bigger player this year. More than hints and whispers - we're barely ten minutes into episode one before our heroes face a dilemma that they'll be staring at months from now. And there will be no easy answers.

Will there be new monsters?

They're ... scary. Very scary. And, ohh, I don't want to say more - there's the Silence in 1 & 2, the Siren, in episode 3, the Gangers in 5 & 6, all these are more than just freaky costumes and masks; there are SCARY ideas here. And just wait till you meet Idris in episode 4.

Is this series scarier than the last one?

See above. Yes, I think so. But it's not JUST scary - it's funny and moving and revelling in its own insanity too.

How have the characters evolved?

The big difference, I suppose, is how long the Doctor is hanging around in the lives of his Companions. His normal MO is get them while they're young, and leave them while they're young too. He's careful to put them back where he found them, before he screws up their lives. But here he is, married couple on board - and much as he loves them both, he does wonder if it isn't time he got out of the way. Before something really BAD happens.

What can you tell us about the cliff-hanger at the end of episode 7?

Normally our cliff-hangers are lives being threatened. With this one, three lives are changed FOREVER.

(BBC)

[ 04-15-2011: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-18-2011 07:58 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Impossible Astronuat Trailer (Series 6, Episode 1)
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 04-23-2011 03:17 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The new season premiers on BBC America on Saturday, April 23rd. Rich

Tonight's the night! Got my DVR set

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-23-2011 06:05 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dr. Who spin-off series, Torchood is set to return later this year: See Here

Elizabeth Sladen (Shara Jane) obituary

More: Here

More Tennant: See Here

Matt Smith (new project): Here

[ 04-23-2011: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 04-23-2011 06:52 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think the new Torchwood will be shown on BBC America here this year--it will be on the premium network Starz. Hopefully this is wrong information, but it's what I've been reading.

Rich

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-24-2011 03:55 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone see the firs episode of Dr. Who, new series?

I quite liked it, BUT, I do find Moffat's plots which normally involve complex aspects of time-travel a bit mind blowing. You know: past self v future self etc.

I still miss Tennant a bit!

(Episode 1 and 2 were filmed in America).

Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 04-24-2011 06:28 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
Anyone see the firs episode of Dr. Who, new series?

I quite liked it, BUT, I do find Moffat's plots which normally involve complex aspects of time-travel a bit mind blowing. You know: past self v future self etc.

I still miss Tennant a bit!

(Episode 1 and 2 were filmed in America).

Yes, it was shown last night here in the US--I really liked it. River Song is a really intriguing character and I'm looking forward to how this all developes.

One thing I've learned about the Doctor and time travel is that, no matter how grim or dire things become, there always seems to be a way of avoiding damages or reversing them later. Even the dead can come back.

Rich

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-24-2011 02:17 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

One thing I've learned about the Doctor and time travel is that, no matter how grim or dire things become, there always seems to be a way of avoiding damages or reversing them later.

Yes! The Daleks have been exterminated forever, countless times over the past decades. Never say never!

UK viewing figures were down, but we did have the warmest Easter here for 60 years!

Daleks: Bizarre Comedy Sketch

[ 04-25-2011: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-30-2011 07:24 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just watched episode 2 of the new series of dr. who. It really is all getting too complicated for me to get my head around!

One of the UK papers described it a s "Too clever for it's own good".

I'm missing the simpler story lines of Russel T Davies.

Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 05-01-2011 06:23 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We just saw the second part of this series opener, which was very good, even if there are some loose threads hanging.

I like the more twisted, involved plots, although it means that each episode doesn't always stand alone. You have to be a regular viewer to put the pieces together and see what's going on.

After the show there was a one-hour special about making the first episodes in America--really interesting.

Rich

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-01-2011 01:33 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
After the show there was a one-hour special about making the first episodes in America--really interesting.

We get that for every episode since Dr. who returned. I find them fascinating!

Curse of the Black Spot Prequel

[ 05-01-2011: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-10-2011 11:26 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone see 'Curse of the Black Spot'?

A clip from the next one, Episode four: HERE

[ 05-10-2011: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 05-13-2011 12:41 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyone see 'Curse of the Black Spot'?

]

Yes, it was shown here last Saturday. At first it seemed like one of the whimsical, silly episodes that they have from time to time, but then later it straightened out and was all right.

SPOILER Alert: I think she may be carrying the Doctor's baby after all, at least that's what they may want us to believe!

Rich

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-23-2011 04:08 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Linerrich, what did you think of 'The Rebel Flesh'?

'The Almost People' Trailer

[ 05-23-2011: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 05-23-2011 02:19 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I finally watched the first five episodes of the new season and have to say I think it quite an improvement over last year. The season opener in it's two parts was VERY good except right at the very end which was a little bit of a let down. Other than The Silence, I wonder what the significance is of that sliding view-pass window that Amy keeps seeing a face in? And it looks like River Song with a eye-patch? And the on-again off-again scanner that keeps showing Amy as pregnant and not pregnant. Rich, if she's carrying the Doctor's baby that will be a bit of a scandal! Of the five episodes I think the Curse of the Black Spot was a bit of an odd one. Not sure how that fits in with the other five unless it was a stand alone episode or I just missed something. Overall a real treat, and it's interesting to see Matt Smith hit his stride as the new Doctor.

[ 05-23-2011: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 05-27-2011 08:23 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Linerrich, what did you think of 'The Rebel Flesh'?

[ 05-23-2011: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

I liked it very much, looking forward to the second part. I recently saw the movie "Moon" (2009, Sam Rockwell) which had a similar plot-line about the ethics of cloning. If you haven't seen it, look for it.

Rich

Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 06-12-2011 08:13 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last night we saw the episode "Demon Run", the Season Finale--all I can say is "Wow! Where is this all going?"

No spoilers here, but if you have not yet seen the finale, DO NOT miss the final 30 seconds. It explains so much and yet opens endless questions. Now I'm really looking forward to the next season.

Rich

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-12-2011 12:46 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I found the two episodes about the 'Flesh' very clever but rather dull.

Yes, "Demon Run", the mid-Season Finale was rather action packed!

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 06-18-2011 11:02 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Did anyone see 'Sherlock' last year, written by Steven Moffat:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t4pgh

I thought that it was very good!

The guy playing 'Shelock' played it in a similar way to Matt Smith plays the new Dr.

[ 03-14-2011: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Writer Steven Moffat's commitments to BBC One drama Sherlock will mean fewer Doctor Who episodes in 2012, the channel's controller has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13784334

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.