- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...The Liverpool Waterfront will be the setting for an unforgettable celebration on June 3, as iconic Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli joins a stellar line-up of performers to celebrate Queen Anne's maiden call to its spiritual home.Bocelli will be joined by an impressive line-up of Liverpool's finest talent, including the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and performers from the Liverpool..

Latest News...Oceania Cruises, the world's leading culinary- and destination-focused cruise line, has welcomed its 1,250-guest ship, Marina, back into service after undergoing an all-encompassing refurbishment, which includes the addition of three new dining options. Guests aboard Marina can now enjoy the culinary delights of Aquamar Kitchen, the new wellness-focused dining venue, which debuted to great acclaim on...

Latest News...Celebrity Cruises takes the suite life to new heights with new premium and personalized enhancements for The Retreat, providing the most elevated experience at sea. Offering more perks and amenities than ever before, The Retreat isn't just a suite. It's the most elevated experience at sea, period. "At The Retreat, the world really does revolve around our guests," said Laura Hodges Bethge..

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Idle Chatter   » Tenerife 30 years ago.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tenerife 30 years ago.
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 03-27-2007 04:02 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Exactly 30 years ago 2 Boeing 747 of PanAm American Airways on there way to the ms Golden Odessy and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines on there way home to Amsterdam, collided by take off coursing the biggest air disaster to date al passengers except 1 (she survived the crash by not boarding the plane) of the KLM 747 died
Only 62 passengers and crew of the PanAm 747 survived the crash. Sadly later it appears that several factors contributed to this crash 1 of theme the bad communication a/b the KLM plane.

Al day here in the Netherlands news and program's remember that fatefully day back in 1977. On Tenerife there is an special remembrance ceremony fore the victims.

Just a Little lat of 6 still remember those images on t.v. and later back in the Netherlands the remembrance service in the 747 hangar of KLM the hundreds of coffins of the victims brown fore the male passengers and white fore the female passengers and the small ones (special the small ones) fore the children.

Later it appeared that the grand parents of one boy at my school where on that plane. It was al that sad and somber.

Fore those who died my thoughts.

Ben.

[ 03-27-2007: Message edited by: Maasdam ]

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 03-27-2007 07:18 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh my yes...I do recall that one. It was so terrible when that happened. They were talking about it on the local news tonight. They say there is still a risk of it happening again. That was terrible news to wake up to that morning.
Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 03-28-2007 12:32 AM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember that Sunday very well. I was sitting in front of my TV not paying too much attention to the program that was on. I was reading "Destination Disaster", a book about the 1974 Turkish Airlines DC-10 crash near Paris (the infamous DC-10 cargo door opened) when the TV program was interrupted by a "special" news bulletin. I said "oh, oh!" to myself. What an eerie coincidence. It still sends shivers up my spine when I am reminded of the crash.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 03-28-2007 04:04 AM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember it too. Very bad news.

Accidentally, it seems that the majority of the passengers on the Panam airplane were on their way to a cruiseship. I read somewhere the thoughts of an officer who saw the keys of the empty cabins rinkling in the night with the movement of the ship. Similarities with the Concorde disaster.

Let's hope such things don't occur again.

J

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 03-28-2007 05:14 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johan:
I remember it too. Very bad news.

Accidentally, it seems that the majority of the passengers on the Panam airplane were on their way to a cruiseship. I read somewhere the thoughts of an officer who saw the keys of the empty cabins rinkling in the night with the movement of the ship. Similarities with the Concorde disaster.

Let's hope such things don't occur again.

J

Sadley a'm affraid this wil happen again Johan. Now with the A380 comming in service over a view months, it's possible that 1 plane is able to kill more poeple thene died in Tenerife.

Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 04-01-2007 08:49 AM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, the pax were on their way to the Golden Odyssey, the first ship of Royal Cruise Line. BTW, what ever happened to that ship? Is she still sailing? And for whom?
Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 04-01-2007 09:22 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johan:

Accidentally, it seems that the majority of the passengers on the Panam airplane were on their way to a cruiseship. I read somewhere the thoughts of an officer who saw the keys of the empty cabins rinkling in the night with the movement of the ship.
J

Here's an excerpt from the book "Salute to the CROWN", written by Frank O. Braynard:

"On board one of the airliners were most of the passengers headed for a cruise on GOLDEN ODYSSEY, as well as staff of the company. In the face of such a stunning blow, there was little alternative. Together, the company and remaining passengers quietly decided to go on with the cruise, as a sort of memorial to their lost friends. An officer of the GOLDEN ODYSSEY recalls that the enormity of the disaster really dawned on him when he walked down a hallway on the first night. Seeing most of the stateroom keys still swinging from the door locks, he was forced to remember that each empty cabin would have been occupied by old friends he would never see again, or new ones he would never know."

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 04-02-2007 10:28 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I also remember that awful disaster. We'd spent 2 glorious weeks exploring Tenerife over Christmas and New Year.
Our arrival from Madrid was much delayed by fog. We landed in Puerta de la Cruz (on an Iberia flight) around 3 a.m so saw nothing of our surroundings.

Our departure was on a bright, cloudless day. I recall saying to hubby that I really didn't want to ever again arrive in the middle of the night. With Mount Tiede rising sky high on one side and the ocean on the other, there was absolutely no margin for error on that runway.

It is one of the most beautiful spots in the world and hopefully, this Fall we'll visit again - this time from a cruise ship!

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
petede
First Class Passenger
Member # 3459

posted 01-05-2014 12:34 AM      Profile for petede     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hate to dredge up old threads, but I thought this would be easier then starting a new one. Does anyone know when the Golden Odyssey was scheduled to leave on its cruise in 1977 and the ports involved? I understand that the Pam Am flight was charted and filled with the ships passengers. I am hoping the someone has an old Royal Cruise Line catalog. Doesn't seem like it's almost 37 years ago.
Posts: 146 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
PamM
Cruise Director
Member # 2127

posted 01-08-2014 02:14 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
See here. It seems they did go from Las Palmas to Madeira, Casablanca, Tangier and Gibraltar where the article appears to have been written as she was on her way to. Then it says on to Majorca, Malta, Messina, Crete & Piraeus.. but if you want exact detail might be better to find someone who was aboard.

Pam

[ 01-08-2014: Message edited by: PamM ]

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
petede
First Class Passenger
Member # 3459

posted 01-10-2014 03:37 PM      Profile for petede     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pam thank you for that article! It answers a lot of questions I have, the only thing I can't gleam from that story is, was the Golden Odessy scheduled to leave March 27 or March 28 th for its cruise?
Posts: 146 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.