- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Technically Speaking   » Queen Mary 2' First Refit (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Queen Mary 2' First Refit
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 09-18-2006 07:33 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have sailed her twice for a grand total of 9 days.
Her planning is good but the location of certain venues is flawed. Decor is subjective and I will not comment here.

Ideas in order of priority:

KINGS COURT:
The idea looks great is plan but in execution the scale of the space is too big. All Quadrants look the same and is easy to get disoriented. Alcoves get crowded and areas with no sea view are empty. Remove alcoves that block windows and make the port and starboard bulkheads window walls except where structure is needed.

Each quadrant have a different color floor so one can get a sense of place.

PASSAGEWAYS:
There is no cue along the 800'passageways to where the stairtowers are. A luminous ceiling and change in carpet color at the doorways
would help here.

TODD ENGLISH:
It blocks entrance to inside of ship from Lido deck. It is awkward to walk through there in beachwear. Move to location of port side aft Kings Court Chef's galley. A glass bulkhead inboard of the exterior bulkhead will create the passageway.

Boardwalk Cafe and Chef's Galley is to be moved to current Todd English Location. A casual dining area near the pool will relieve the Kings Court
congestion.

SIR SAMUELS:
Double as a Coffee/Tea bar

VULGARIAN CLASS:
Some in the Grills do not like it along the Deck 7 promenades where people can look in? Don't they want the whole world to know they are rich? The aft suites overlooking the Deck 8 pool and bar, do they want pivacy or want to sneer down at the hoi polloi.

It would make sense to put casaul dining where the Grills are. Move the duplex suites to midship deck 9 and 10. Move the Princess and Britannia Grill to Deck 9 aft. Deck 10 aft would be one floor Grill class suites.

If Grills are moved to Deck 9, Todd English can be in that place since Deck 7 aft terrace is not a prime space.

Other ideas?

[ 09-18-2006: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 09-18-2006 08:24 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:

VULGARIAN CLASS:
Some in the Grills do not like it along the Deck 7 promenades where people can look in? Don't they want the whole world to know they are rich? The aft suites overlooking the Deck 8 pool and bar, do they want pivacy or want to sneer down at the hoi polloi.

This is funny, and interesting, because I believe the privileged classes are of two different mentalities. Some people who have always had money and the best things, and they want to be pampered in privacy and really do not care to mingle with the others.

Then there are the 'Hyacinth Buckets' who simply want bragging rights and the ability to flaunt their status!

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-18-2006 09:08 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Design and layout is always a compromise and I’m sure that there were some very good technical and logistical reasons why various rooms are located where they are.

The certainly is ‘something’ wrong with the ‘Kings Court’, it is confusing and gets rather crowded. Many other new ships feature better design of buffet areas. However, maybe the Kings Court design was necessitated by the feature that the Court divides into four separate specialty areas of an evening. This is very clever and unique. They are also free!

I would have liked to see 'Lido deck dining', so you could walk out of the back of the 'Court/Winter Garden and sit at tables on the deck. However the Grills is in the way.

Yes Todd English is in the way, but it's very popular and generates income!

The entrance to G32 is through the Queens Room, so noise from the Disco spills out every time the door is open, Once again there is probably a logistical reason for this.

Even though I can make these criticisms I think she is a truly wonderful ship. The Queens Room and Britannia dining room are masterpieces, amongst other areas.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Gerry
First Class Passenger
Member # 168

posted 09-18-2006 09:57 AM      Profile for Gerry     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The layouts of the rooms were a continually changing scene through the 5 years leading up to the delivery of the ship. Many of the locations are where they are for good reason, often structural, sometimes compromise for operational reasons.

Todd English was originally to be a Lido style restaurant that opened up onto the aft deck. It was also intended to be linked strongly to the Lido on deck 7 through the staircase on the port side. That staircase was considered as an escalator or a wider sweeping stair to ensure the connection was made. There was then a campaign to get recognisable chef's or restaurants onboard that would match the product that was being sold. Originally, Todd English was to be "Rules" restaurant. Rules is the oldest restaurant in London, is very popular amongst politicians and city business men. Their menu is very traditional old style English - surprisingly good. Actually exceptionally good. They have their own land and parks in Scotland where you can bag your own fowl and the restaurant will serve it to you a little while later in London. It was all very old style upper class England, very authentic and would have been lapped up in the States. It was then decided that that was too specific and narrow spectrum and Todd English came on scene. By now of course, the idea of going back to a simple Lido restaurant was forgotton and we have what we have now. The link to the Lido on deck 7 was not required to be as strong so the staircase was reduced to the one on the port side that we have now.

The Grills need a specific galley with different equipment and layout. The supply for these needs to be on elevator and crew stairways in line with the stores, below. The one galley serves both restaurants and this means the Grill chef's can operate together. One of the only viable locations for this was where they are now. They needed to be somewhere next to open deck as this gives them a cache that would not exist if they were internal or lower down.

G32 was originally "The Yacht Club" by the way and was a much more gentile, cocktail bar like the one on QE2 - It was then decided we needed a conventional night club and we changed the decor and the name - (G32 was my idea). The transition between the entrance and the Queen's room was always going to be awkward. The challenge was the change in deck level between the aft end of the Britannia restaurant, through the Queens room and into G32. There is a half deck height change in order to accomodate the 'tween deck passages through the restaurant between the upper and lower levels (it was very difficult to envisage this in the design stages and caused many headaches...)
In addition, there is no passenger staircase at the entrance to G32 as there is crew area above and stores below. Only a small crew staircase. We were taking advantage of the availibility of space that could be used for a public room but that could only be accessed through the same deck. Because it is so isolated, it means it is a good space for a nightclub as no passenger cabins are disturbed. That brings us back to the challenge of the transition from the Queen's room. There was just enough space to put an 'airlock' with a double door arrangement. This is negated when both sets of doors are opened at the same time. This arrangement was obviuosly a compromise but the alternative was to use the space as storage. There was not sufficient capacity on the stairs to build extra cabins.

The Lido was going to be a sprawling affair and an attempt was made to give each section a character of its own to break it down, this led to the idea of using the space in the evening in separate restaurants. I think this works well, actually better than during the day when the theming may not be strong enough to delineate the areas. The design of the ship did not help here. She has a very strong 'backbone' in the centre of the ship that acts like a structural spine. It means that the space outboard of this strucure is slightly less than on a conventional cruise ship without this very strong box spine. It was always going to be a challenge.

There was a great deal of planning went into the ship. The team wrestled with this type of problem for many, many hours. There was often a challenge due to the nature of the ship being an Ocean Liner with non conventional shape and not an empty box to layout as freely as normal. She is a very different animal and I stand by the design and layout as the best that could have been done with the restrictions and parameters that we had, some of which I have touched on here.

Posts: 315 | From: Miami, Florida, (originally from UK) | Registered: Jun 99  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 09-18-2006 10:06 AM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And you did a great job, Gerry !
Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 09-18-2006 10:11 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gerry, thanks for your explanations as to the 'how' and 'why' of so many things aboard QM2. And you did it without being defensive or offensive to anyone! It's easy for us to whine and complain about certain features of ships without understanding the conditions involved. I'm sure there was never a ship built that pleased everyone all the time, but your results in QM2 definitely seem to have covered as much as possible in a positive way.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gerry
First Class Passenger
Member # 168

posted 09-18-2006 10:33 AM      Profile for Gerry     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
By the way, I receommend a visit to "Rules" whilst in London. Stephen Payne and I ate there whilst working with the owner. It was fantastic. Best puddings anywhere!
Posts: 315 | From: Miami, Florida, (originally from UK) | Registered: Jun 99  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 09-18-2006 10:51 AM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I must agree w/ you on that....it's in a good location (esp. after some theatre)...and was the perfect way for my Mom and I to round off our QE2 crossing a few years ago....

RULES is a must do whilst in London!

Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-18-2006 10:57 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I’m lucky enough to have done a Transatlantic crossing onboard the QM2. Her ‘enrichment’ program of daily events and entertainment is second to none. There is little chance of getting bored even during multiple sea days.

The QM2 has a lot of accommodation dedicated to ‘enrichment’ i.e. for the University at Sea, RADA and lectures. For example the ‘Planetarium’ doubles as a n excellent lecture theatre and cinema, which is in addition to the main Theatre.

The ‘Queens Room’ is also a venue for afternoon tea (as is the Winter Garden), dancing and entertainment. Even the Chart Room Bar is big enough to feature a Jazz band. Lets also not forget the excellent Library and bookshop.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 09-18-2006 01:59 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I really enjoyed reading your post, Gerry. I'm absolutely fascinated about the planning of and building QM2. The Discovery Channel documentary was very interesting. I'll be visiting her this weekend with the OLS and can't wait to see this magnificent ship for myself. You and everyone on the team must have been so proud as each stage was successful.
Posts: 2023 | From: Hythe, Hants | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 09-18-2006 03:13 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

VULGARIAN CLASS:
Some in the Grills do not like it along the Deck 7 promenades where people can look in? Don't they want the whole world to know they are rich?

The window shades usually seem to be drawn to table level so unless people on the promenade got on their knees it is difficult to look in . Both Grills are not about the sea view but rather about the food and service. We dined in the PG for 10 days and in the QG on our one crossing on QM2 and rarely saw passengers even notice either restaurant.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 09-18-2006 05:53 PM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't the title of this topic be QM2's next refit? Her first refit, albeit a minor one, was in November 2005.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Linerdan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4719

posted 09-18-2006 06:20 PM      Profile for Linerdan   Email Linerdan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerrich:
And you did it without being defensive or offensive to anyone!

Rich

I agree with you 110% Linerrich.

Gerry you a true gentlmen , i take my hat off to you.Not just for this post but for the many you have answered on here over the past years.
Regards Linerdan.

Posts: 397 | From: Australia.....NSW......Jervis Bay | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-18-2006 07:00 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is very easy to underestimate the efforts behind building a modern cruise ship - there is a lot which has to be considered - and there is usually a very good reason for 'odd' details. (...O.K. not always... )

Insider 'stories' are therefore always UTMOST interesting - thanks Gerry!

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-18-2006 07:15 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:
It is very easy to underestimate the efforts behind building a modern cruise ship...

Us laypeople often make statements and judements about ships without knowing the facts, be them technical, logistical or financial. Gerry is able to give us a reality check - great input!

jeremya
First Class Passenger
Member # 5699

posted 09-18-2006 07:46 PM      Profile for jeremya   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last night, here in Montreal, they showed a Discovery program called "Mega Structures" which had a piece on the Queen Mary 2 in Hamburg for her propeller repairs.

She is just an amazing ship. Quite a marvel to see her in dry dock status.

Posts: 377 | From: montreal | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 09-18-2006 11:35 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerdan:

Gerry you a true gentlmen , i take my hat off to you.Not just for this post but for the many you have answered on here over the past years.
Regards Linerdan.

Gerry,

Thank you very much for a quick response.

IMO the QM2 layout is far better than the QE2, and easier to get around than the very rational SSNorway.

IMO again, after living with a ship for a while some of the public rooms may want change function. The LoveBoats which are beautifully planned have been changed over the years. The bulkheads are in the same place, but functions of rooms did change.

No other ship I have sailed is a floating town like QM2. It is the unorthodox layout that gives Mary 2 her character and sets her apart from the big boxboats.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 09-18-2006 11:41 PM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jeremya:
Last night, here in Montreal, they showed a Discovery program called "Mega Structures" which had a piece on the Queen Mary 2 in Hamburg for her propeller repairs.

She is just an amazing ship. Quite a marvel to see her in dry dock status.

She'll be in dry dock again in November to have the repaired pod reinstalled.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
nathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 720

posted 09-19-2006 09:39 AM      Profile for nathan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've done two crossings on her, and the only thing I'd like to change would be to make me a permanent resident.
Posts: 534 | From: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 09-19-2006 01:43 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
W/her being a liner AND a cruise ship, her design needs to work for both types of service. On a transatlantic crossing there are rarely many people on the aft lidos. The sun lovers tend to bundle up on the sunny side of the boat deck and stretch out in a steamer chair w/a blanket and a good book.

If she had been built w/a large lido style indoor/outdoor restaurant in place of the Grills or Todd English I believe the open air section would go unused during all but the warmest crossings. Passengers tend to stay indoors on a transatlantic crossing except for a walk/jog around the promenade.

It may have been mentioned, but I don't understand the location of the duplex apartments. We were given a tour of an unoccupied one on our crossing and we both thought it was an incredible space but it lacked privacy on the verandah. They could have easily been built on the sides of the ship w/two seperate verandahs facing the sea.

desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 09-19-2006 02:09 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:
If she had been built w/a large lido style indoor/outdoor restaurant in place of the Grills or Todd English I believe the open air section would go unused during all but the warmest crossings. Passengers tend to stay indoors on a transatlantic crossing except for a walk/jog around the promenade..

I sailed her in bad weather and good weather and she does both very well. She has more deck space than most boxboats her size and is even better in warm weather.

Magradome and galleries along side of Illuminations are great places to hang out in bad weather.

Hull hole balcony protects one well from the elements.

quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:
It may have been mentioned, but I don't understand the location of the duplex apartments. We were given a tour of an unoccupied one on our crossing and we both thought it was an incredible space but it lacked privacy on the verandah. They could have easily been built on the sides of the ship w/two seperate verandahs facing the sea.

Vulgarians who are rich and self important want the Mortal class to see them, plus to sneer down at those who are financially challenged.

[ 09-19-2006: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 09-19-2006 05:40 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Vulgarians who are rich and self important want the Mortal class to see them, plus to sneer down at those who are financially challenged.

[ 09-19-2006: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

There is a close-up pic of ss Imperator in John Maxtone-Grahams 'The Only Way to Cross' showing the forward facing open decks w/1st class on top and steerage at the bottom. Each of the two upper classes could easily 'look down' on the 3rd class passengers.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-22-2006 05:26 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
By the way, I receommend a visit to "Rules" whilst in London.

Here is the web site: www.rules.co.uk

Unfortunately it costs a bit more than my normally 'Happy Meal'. There is a sample of the menu and the prices.

[ 09-22-2006: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 09-22-2006 06:43 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm? those prices seem more than very reasonable to me for a London restaurant? OK, a bit much for an 'every day' meal, but for a nice evening out looks pretty good to me.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-22-2006 07:09 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
Malcolm? those prices seem more than very reasonable to me for a London restaurant?

Soup £7, Fish & Chips et al £17, Pudding £7 = £31 per head ($59)

You are right Pam, I stand corrected - by London standards, for a nice meal out, that is not too bad!

KFC is still cheaper!

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.