- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Britannia

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Britannia
Salaison
First Class Passenger
Member # 4722

posted 09-24-2013 06:32 AM      Profile for Salaison   Email Salaison   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Britannia - built exclusively for Britain
Arriving in spring 2015, Britannia will represent the very best of the best! The largest cruise ship built exclusively for Britain, she will combine signature P&O Cruises features with the very latest innovations in dining, entertainment and modern design.

source

Posts: 444 | From: St. Lucia--The Sleeping Leviathan | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Michael13
First Class Passenger
Member # 78741

posted 09-24-2013 06:37 AM      Profile for Michael13     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like it, some thing it is too big (I agree on that) and some that is same as Royal Princess. But I like it. I would maybe go with name Canberra more to follow tradition.
Posts: 34 | From: Croatia | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 09-24-2013 07:12 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The way that ' ss Canberra ' slipped away from the UK with little publicty after spending longer in the Falklands war area than many other passenger ships, such as the larger ' QE 2 ' , upset a lot of people and no doubt why that name was not used again !

' Britannia ' is an old name first used by one of the P & O original group companies so a great choice.

Lets hope Queen Elizabeth ll is well enough to do the naming of this great ship.

The last P & O cruise ship she named was ' mv Oriana'.

[ 09-24-2013: Message edited by: Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company. ]

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 09-24-2013 06:12 PM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess the name MV Ugly Duckling was already taken or MV Big Box.
Posts: 757 | From: New York | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 09-24-2013 06:20 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It looks like the Norwegian Breakaway.
Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Michael534
First Class Passenger
Member # 2953

posted 09-25-2013 08:16 PM      Profile for Michael534   Email Michael534   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It looks like staterooms over the bridge. If that's the case, I will take the one with the balcony over the bridge wing.
I like the ship. The two stacks give her a nice look and also give her a uniqueness that will keep her from blending in with the other ships of her design.
Such a relief not to see water parks, slides and other county fair favorites cluttering the decks.
I would LOVE to see the line use the name Canberra again. But, in this case the ship is being touted as "exclusively for Britain" so naming her Britannia makes more sense than Canberra.

Michael

Posts: 483 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
jeffrossatsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 2962

posted 09-26-2013 01:33 AM      Profile for jeffrossatsea   Email jeffrossatsea   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
is it just me?...or do parts of the union jack flag above the britannia name look kind of like a carnival funnel...i know carnival owns P&O and the flag looks similar, but a portion of the carnival logo can be seen...tacky
Posts: 1118 | From: vancouver | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
jetwet1
First Class Passenger
Member # 6361

posted 09-29-2013 05:38 AM      Profile for jetwet1   Author's Homepage   Email jetwet1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jeffrossatsea:
is it just me?...or do parts of the union jack flag above the britannia name look kind of like a carnival funnel...i know carnival owns P&O and the flag looks similar, but a portion of the carnival logo can be seen...tacky

Yep, I see what you are saying, but to me it's more of the "let's highly stylize everything" that is sweeping the UK right now. Truth be told the designers probably wouldn't be able to tell you what the Carnival funnel looks like.

Posts: 608 | From: Las VEgas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 10-01-2013 07:30 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Regal Princess with an extra funnel; at least the press release only says exclusively built for the British market and not 'designed for' as was said with Ventura.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 10-01-2013 07:31 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Regal Princess with an extra funnel; at least the press release only says exclusively built for the British market and not 'designed for' as was said with Ventura.

Pam

jeremya
First Class Passenger
Member # 5699

posted 10-01-2013 10:39 PM      Profile for jeremya   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How do you translate a "storied" liner Britannia into a new build. Does Q.M. 2 really carry the old world into the new?

The 2 stack method has been done already, See Celebrity.

I wonder if you can rebuild the grandeur of an old liner in a new build, specifically geared towards the UK?

With all these Big Box ships - stacking the decks and putting two stacks on the back - is it really useful or a clever gimmick?

Will they be able to pull it off with this new build or just another pretty floating box with 2 stacks...

I get the marrying the old with the new, but we aren't in the past - and moving further from it. Britannia is going to be a P&O showpiece, they better get it right, with the right decor, style and charm.

All that flashy Carnival crap won't fly and I hope a level headed decorator is on the team to make it work, or we will just see another knock off.

Posts: 377 | From: montreal | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 10-02-2013 05:52 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Two funnels on the P & O ships is not new as the last one built with what appeared to be two funnels was ' ss Oriana ' .

Before her several of the original P & O or Orient Lines ships had two or three funnels with the forward funnel on the three funnel ships being a dummy !

The smaller aft funnel on ' ss Oriana ' was used for some of the airconditioning equipment and not for any engine exhausts.

I think ' Britannia ' looks smart with her two funnels.

Regarding the Celebrity cruise ships it is nice to see a cross retained on their funnels which goes back to when their original company was known as Chandris and their ships had blue funnels with a white cross.

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 10-01-2014 07:07 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am sure most people have seen the pictures - awful imho but since when did lines begin having 'starting engines' ceremonies?

Pam

[ 10-01-2014: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 10-02-2014 05:43 PM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company.:
Two funnels on the P & O ships is not new as the last one built with what appeared to be two funnels was ' ss Oriana ' ......
Regarding the Celebrity cruise ships it is nice to see a cross retained on their funnels which goes back to when their original company was known as Chandris and their ships had blue funnels with a white cross.

Lucky none of the Orient Line folks are here to read that ... those would be fighting words to them!

Oriana was an Orient Line ship ... not P&O! Orient Line's team designed and ordered the ship ... and P&O inherited it in the merger.

The Orient Line folks were always happy to tell you how much better she was a a ship than P&O's designed Canberra!

As for Celebrity .... Michael Chandris conceived the brand and started it up along with John Chandris. They went with Celebrity Cruises because in Bermuda Chandris was identified with the Amerikanis and they wanted a fresh upscale image for the new brand ... but it was a Chandris family oepration all the way!

First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 10-05-2014 07:28 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SSTRAVELER

On the final cruise for the ' ss Oriana' , which was in the waters of the South Pacific Ocean, she did not fly the P & O house flag.

P & O Australia had some new Orient Line flags made and these were used though out her final cruise instead of her usual P & O flag.

We also had some flags around the ship for those wanting a picture taken with the Orient Lines flag in the background

Regarding who the ship belonged to it needs to be remembered that the P & O group of shipping companies had in the 1950's and 1960's consisted of 35 shipping companies of which Orient Line was one of the companies in the group which all had their own management team but was still controlled by the board of directors of the main company

Details of all these companies appeared in the P & O share holders yearly reports of which I still have several..

They used to say that in the UK there was three navies - The Royal Navy, The Merchant Navy and P&O which in those days consisted of over 350 ships !

The Orient Lines ship's crews may not have liked the merger of the two companies but Orient Lines, which then was only operating passenger ships, was loosing money due to the duplication of a lot of the sailings of the two companies, on the Australian service, with ships sailing on the same day or within a day of each other on the line voyages and often only half full.

I was one of the first P&O restaurant managers to take over the 1st class restaurant on the ' ss Oronsay' in December 1969 for what was the round the world winter cruise from the UK but we had a slight delay at Vancouver where having found out we had typhoid on board the ship remained for three weeks in quarantine and anchored in the middle of the harbour.

Regarding the old crew on the ' Oronsay ' they certainly did not like having P&O heads of the catering departments on board but had that not happened, and also the merger the two companies passenger ships, the company would have finished up operating at a bigger loss and the ships disposed of or, as happened, transfered to the P&O fleet.

Aways remember in those day many of the Greek companies were buying up old passenger ships and would no doubt have jumped at the chance to aquire some of the old Orient Line ships had they gone on the market.

[ 10-06-2014: Message edited by: Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company. ]

Aussie1
First Class Passenger
Member # 25

posted 10-05-2014 11:43 PM      Profile for Aussie1   Email Aussie1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
None of the post War P&O and Orient ships were sold for further trading, was this because P&O didn't want to sell them to other operators or because there was no demand for the ships except from scrap merchants, or in Oriana's case for static use? I do remember talking to an engineer who worked on many of the ships including the Arcadia till her end in 1979 and he noted that the tanks tops on the ships were corroding and that the ships were pushed pretty hard on their line voyages and thus were pretty tired by the time P&O sold them.
Posts: 493 | From: Sydney,NSW, Australia | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Aussie1
First Class Passenger
Member # 25

posted 10-05-2014 11:45 PM      Profile for Aussie1   Email Aussie1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
None of the post War P&O and Orient ships were sold for further trading, was this because P&O didn't want to sell them to other operators or because there was no demand for the ships except from scrap merchants, or in Oriana's case for static use? I do remember talking to an engineer who worked on many of the ships including the Arcadia till her end in 1979 and he noted that the tanks tops on the ships were corroding and that the ships were pushed pretty hard on their line voyages and thus were pretty tired by the time P&O sold them.
Posts: 493 | From: Sydney,NSW, Australia | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 10-06-2014 06:46 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Aussie 1

In those days P&O was having competition from the Greek and Italian passenger ships on the Australian service line voyages so I doubt if they would even consider selling ships that could then be operated in competition with their own ships.

No idea what the scrap prices were like in those days but apart from a couple of ships being sold to Hong Kong breakers most of the others went to Taiwan.

Baker
First Class Passenger
Member # 1311

posted 10-22-2014 12:26 AM      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As a former Orient Line, ships baker, I remember the change over to P&O, which took place around 1962/3. The first to go was Orion, P&O agents went on the ship in Sydney,on her homeward bound voyage to London, needless to say some of the crew that had been "sacked' caused a bit of trouble, smashed mirrors, sinks etc the agents quickly learned their lesson, and I was sacked off ORIENT LINES flagship "Oriana" at our last port of call which was Bermuda. We only had British crew on Orient, those of us sacked had our jobs taken over by Goaness from India. The start of the rot had set in, now today you find it hard to see any British crew at all.
As for selling P&O ships on for further trade, the Chitral was sold to Chiness interested for years of further trade as were the last two Strath. boats that had no alterations done to them except a black band painted on the funnel They were put on to the Mecca trade for just a few years. Great Days ,All gone now

Posts: 221 | From: Rosebud, by the Bay.Victoria, Australia | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 10-22-2014 06:45 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi

Re Chitral & Cathay they were transfered to the australian Eastern & Australian line ( E&A ) before being sold to the Chinese by the australian company which was part of the P&O group of companies but had its own management.

I had been on Chitral for about two years but was asked in September 1969 to transfer to the Cathay for her last voyage from the UK to Hong Kong as the management did not know what would be the reaction of her chinese crew with being made redundent.

As it happened we had no problems and some of the Cathay crew came out to Kai Tak airport to see us off when we flew back to the UK.

The Cathay crew were replaced by the crew from the E&A ship ' Aramac ' ,which was already in Hong Kong when we arrived, prior to going on to the breakers.

SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 10-23-2014 03:50 PM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company.:
In those days P&O was having competition from the Greek and Italian passenger ships on the Australian service line voyages so I doubt if they would even consider selling ships that could then be operated in competition with their own ships.

P&O sold two of its pre-WWII ships to John Latsis in the 1960s. The 1935-built STRATHMORE and 1937-built STRATHEDEN went to the famous Greek and became the MARIANNA LATSI and HENRIETTA LATSI, respectively.

I don't know if P&O agreed to the Latsis deal because he was not doing passenger service on their routes or if they put restrictions on where the ships could operate --- but they both went to the Greeks. Both ships are reported to have served as Islamic pilgrim transports and hotel ships at the Saudi Arabian port of Jeddah. In 1969, they were both scrapped in La Spezia, Italy.

First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 10-24-2014 06:06 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi

I did the final UK cruise on the ' ss Strathmore ' before she was sold to John Latsis in October 1963.

It was understood she would be operated as a pilgrim ship.

The last of three final cruises we made from the UK included a call at the Cape Verde islands where the local post office did a special franking of mail landed from the ship which included an outline of the ship and the date of the visit.

Limited amounts of certain hotel items were sold with the ship including cutlery, silverplate dishes and bed linen.

It would appear that after John Latsis sold the ' ss Strathmore ' some of these P & O items were transfered to the ex ' Windsor Castle ' !

I had a message from my old friend Peter Knego, who I have known since he started visiting passengers ships in the US ports when he was in his early 20's, asking me about some of the P &O cutlery and bed linen which turned up with items bought from the ex ' Windsor Castle ' when she arrived at Alang.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.