- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Picture of new aida cruise ship from Japan

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Picture of new aida cruise ship from Japan
Christophe D
First Class Passenger
Member # 1680

posted 07-07-2013 12:33 AM      Profile for Christophe D   Author's Homepage   Email Christophe D   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the press information n°1680 from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, you can find the first picture of the next Aida ship.

Little strange, go to MHI internet site

Posts: 282 | From: Dunkerque, France | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
FuzzyFish
First Class Passenger
Member # 33185

posted 07-07-2013 01:41 PM      Profile for FuzzyFish   Email FuzzyFish   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can't seem to find it, link?
Posts: 144 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
FuzzyFish
First Class Passenger
Member # 33185

posted 07-07-2013 01:44 PM      Profile for FuzzyFish   Email FuzzyFish   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Edit: Nvm.

Here's the link: http://www.mhi.co.jp/en/news/story/1306301680.html

[ 07-10-2013: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

Michael13
First Class Passenger
Member # 78741

posted 07-07-2013 02:42 PM      Profile for Michael13     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Her new name is AIDAmitsu
Posts: 34 | From: Croatia | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
buddhaJoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 4356

posted 07-07-2013 03:45 PM      Profile for buddhaJoe   Email buddhaJoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
jeez this pic was published on march 12....
oh i shall not ad for another website but it was german i can tell you with a lot
of interiour pics as well...

the names Aia bishi and AIda mitsu are working names only

best
Joe

[ 07-07-2013: Message edited by: buddhaJoe ]

[ 07-07-2013: Message edited by: buddhaJoe ]

Posts: 366 | From: De Goorn, small village in The Netherlands | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
goodclicks
First Class Passenger
Member # 6216

posted 07-09-2013 06:25 AM      Profile for goodclicks     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting bow design. Is it vertical or even reverse angle? I suppose this is an attempt at lengthening the hull and sharpening the attack on the water. I've long thought those ugly stubby bows, although space efficient, can't be efficient at carving through the seas. Does anyone with a better understanding of hydrodynamics have a view on this?
Posts: 70 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 07-09-2013 08:27 AM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm excited for these ships if only to see a truly different design among fleets of cruise ships that look increasingly alike--boxes with short stubby bows.

The new Aida ships' bow...long, vertical, and slender comes at a cost. The reason ships' bows are getting shorter and stubbier is to fit more revenue producing cabins onboard. Such a design allows the superstructure to move forward, and therefore more cabins, and that means more money.

With the price of fuel rising, however, there are now other considerations when it comes to profits--namely, how to save money on fuel. We're seeing more ships built with 'duck tails' and others having them retro-fitted just to save 1-2% in fuel.

The new Aida design's bow will also prove to be more fuel efficient, as will the bubble system under the hull developed by Mitsubishi. My guess is that Aida determined the revenue lost in additional cabins by not having a short bow will be more than compensated for by the fuel cost savings. Maybe we'll see more cruise lines going in this design direction in the future.

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 07-09-2013 06:16 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fairsky,

the bow of the "Aida Mitsu" is not as long and sleek as you would believe. It's actually not much greater than the Carnival Dream class - which the new Japanese ships are based off of.

The inverted bow, or "X Bow" as they are commonly referred to now (Ulstien actually has a copyright on "X Bow") is more efficient and provides sea-keeping abilities that are equal or greater than a traditional bow. It also causes less stress and wear on the vessel as it slices through heavy seas instead of trying to part them and push through them.

Most of the high-end and high-performance yachts are being built with inverted bows as are many work-ships. They are now just gaining notice in the cruise sector and now that MHI is producing two high-profile units, other builders and operators will follow.

Tim

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 07-10-2013 08:39 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tim in Fort Lauderdale:
Fairsky,

the inverted bow, or "X Bow" as they are commonly referred to now (Ulstien actually has a copyright on "X Bow") is more efficient and provides sea-keeping abilities that are equal or greater than a traditional bow. It also causes less stress and wear on the vessel as it slices through heavy seas instead of trying to part them and push through them.
Tim

I have found on modern cruiseships with the blunt bow, it keeps the forcastle dry in storms since waves are pushed to the side, but make the ride uncomfortable, like an RV that kicks and jiggles on a potholed road. The knife bows of the older classic liners water comes over the forcastle but the ship heaves over the troughs and to me a more comfortable ride.

My take is regardless of the bow architecture, whether is works or not is how well it is optimized. a gajillion compute simulations eliminates the most egregious mistakes, and extensive tank testing does the rest.

I do not believe a modern ship like the Norwegian Epic for example could have been built in the 1920's and have any type of stability with the technology of the time.

[ 07-10-2013: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Salaison
First Class Passenger
Member # 4722

posted 07-10-2013 03:26 PM      Profile for Salaison   Email Salaison   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There seem to be a competition going on for worlds most ugliest ship.
Posts: 444 | From: St. Lucia--The Sleeping Leviathan | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 07-10-2013 08:03 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salaison:
There seem to be a competition going on for worlds most ugliest ship.

I don't know about that - I find her rather intriguing and imposing looking.

Tim

Larger Version

[ 07-11-2013: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 07-11-2013 10:22 AM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am with Tim on this one ... I think she looks very interesting. In general I think AIDA is the most creative and innovative in the industry and thankfully (so far) they have not been saddled with the Carnival corporate designs.

If you look closely at the rendering there some interesting things show but it also looks like they are borrowing liberally from around the industry. What's the pile out of the funnel? The Sea Walk sort of bulge, some big suites on the platform above the lifeboats, etc. I wonder if those are hull balconies or some sort of promenade under the boat deck promenade? Also is that the mooring deck or something else under the cover at the bow?

The only thing is height must be an issue because the mast and funnel (a la Norwegian Breakaway) look clipped and way too short.

AIDA is the only one willing to/able to do anything outside the box in the industry today. I am sorry that it is not available to Americans and I really hope they do not get homogenized into the industry.

Posts: 757 | From: New York | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 07-11-2013 02:03 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SSTRAVELER:
I am with Tim on this one ... I think she looks very interesting. In general I think AIDA is the most creative and innovative in the industry and thankfully (so far) they have not been saddled with the Carnival corporate designs.

If you look closely at the rendering there some interesting things show but it also looks like they are borrowing liberally from around the industry. What's the pile out of the funnel? The Sea Walk sort of bulge, some big suites on the platform above the lifeboats, etc. I wonder if those are hull balconies or some sort of promenade under the boat deck promenade? Also is that the mooring deck or something else under the cover at the bow?

The only thing is height must be an issue because the mast and funnel (a la Norwegian Breakaway) look clipped and way too short.

AIDA is the only one willing to/able to do anything outside the box in the industry today. I am sorry that it is not available to Americans and I really hope they do not get homogenized into the industry.

Allan,

the forward promenade areas above the lifeboats are attached to the sport/fitness/wellness/spa area of the vessel. Aft of that is the "Theatrium" and aft of that, the promenade areas are attached to lounges bars and restaurants.

Below the lifeboat deck, those are enclosed hull balconies a la the Carnival Dream and QM2.

The GA of the pax areas follows a close parity to the Carnival Dream class with:

2 deck of pax accommodation (1 with hull balconies)
3 decks of public rooms
5 decks of pax accommodations with balconies
2 decks with a mixture of public spaces, pool decks and more pax accommodations

the "Lanai Cabins" occupy the very top deck forward and that is a waterslide you see coming out of the funnel.

Tim

FuzzyFish
First Class Passenger
Member # 33185

posted 07-11-2013 02:35 PM      Profile for FuzzyFish   Email FuzzyFish   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I too like this ship with it's new (to the cruise industry) design, but it's hard to fault other cruise lines for staying with the tried and true when a ship of this size cost anywhere from $700 million to $1 billion each.

That's a lot of money to just "try something new".

Side note, is it just me or is there really no open deck space up top? Almost all deck space are covered... :/

Salaison
First Class Passenger
Member # 4722

posted 07-11-2013 02:37 PM      Profile for Salaison   Email Salaison   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
creative and innovative doesn't translate to beautiful....I have only seen the renderings from this angle......and that that angle in my opinion she looks ugly.
Posts: 444 | From: St. Lucia--The Sleeping Leviathan | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 07-11-2013 05:49 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salaison:
creative and innovative doesn't translate to beautiful....I have only seen the renderings from this angle......and that that angle in my opinion she looks ugly.

Nor does new and different necessarily equate to ugly in my opinion. Frankly, I have never been smitten by many older ships but find many new(er) ships to be marvels and beautiful in new and different ways. And I find them much more interesting than say the Aquitania or Queen Mary - a ship I have always wondered why there is such a fuss over her.

Tim

SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 07-12-2013 10:10 AM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Tim.

The ship does sound like she has a little "corporate" influence aboard but I still think she will be interesting and likely very innovative on the inside as well.

AIDA has not released her plans/GA yet have they?

And on the discussion of her bow don't forget that is not the only unique feature. She also has an air jet system that provides little bubbles along the hull which reportedly also reduces drag. Be interesting to see how it works. Her theme song might well become "Tiny Bubbles."

(Yes ships did have songs .... when I was on RV Sun the CD adopted the Beatles 'Here Comes the Sun' along with Louie Armstrong's 'What A Wonderful World' and we played both sailing from ports. )

Posts: 757 | From: New York | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 07-12-2013 10:52 AM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SSTRAVELER:
Thanks Tim.

The ship does sound like she has a little "corporate" influence aboard but I still think she will be interesting and likely very innovative on the inside as well.

AIDA has not released her plans/GA yet have they?

And on the discussion of her bow don't forget that is not the only unique feature. She also has an air jet system that provides little bubbles along the hull which reportedly also reduces drag. Be interesting to see how it works. Her theme song might well become "Tiny Bubbles."

(Yes ships did have songs .... when I was on RV Sun the CD adopted the Beatles 'Here Comes the Sun' along with Louie Armstrong's 'What A Wonderful World' and we played both sailing from ports. )

Allan,

you're very welcome. And despite the influences drawn from the Dream-class, she will be Aida through and through. From what I have seen, she is proof that given some creativity and thought, a corporate platform can be adapted the provide truly unique brand attributes such as the Aida concept. And I don't believe Carnival Corp will meddle with Aida as they are reportedly one of, if not the strongest performing brand in the portfolio.

Additionally, if everything goes according to plan, I think you will see MHI adapt this vessel platform for other Carnival brands.

If my memory serves me correct, the deck plans will be revealed this summer or early fall once cruises are officially opened for sale.

Tim

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-12-2013 02:24 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like a nice pair of lips on a woman, but NOT on a ship!
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
goodclicks
First Class Passenger
Member # 6216

posted 07-14-2013 10:07 PM      Profile for goodclicks     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And is that an eye behind the lips as it looks suspiciously like a cartoon sperm to me?!
Posts: 70 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 07-15-2013 08:04 AM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by goodclicks:
And is that an eye behind the lips as it looks suspiciously like a cartoon sperm to me?!

It's supposed to look like a face as done in the ancient Egyptian art style. All of the AIDA ships have the same design on it as their signature to tie the fleet together. IMO as a one off it's weird, but as a fleet it looks interesting and is no more weird than a giant whale fin on the top deck.

Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Christophe D
First Class Passenger
Member # 1680

posted 07-28-2013 08:11 AM      Profile for Christophe D   Author's Homepage   Email Christophe D   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some european website said that the names of new ships are : AIDAmia and AIDAtua.
Posts: 282 | From: Dunkerque, France | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 10-08-2013 04:48 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The first one is to be AIDAprima

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.