- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » VOYAGES OF DISCOVERY SHIP STUCK IN IRELAND !

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: VOYAGES OF DISCOVERY SHIP STUCK IN IRELAND !
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 05-31-2013 06:10 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Voyages of Discovery 1990 built cruise ship ' mv Voyager ' has been stuck at the County Donagel port of Killybags since the 28th May 2013 with two of her four generators not working.

Passengers are being flown home today and are to receive compensation in the form of a 60% fare refund and 50% off another cruise booking.

When compared with the RCI compensation to passengers on the fire damaged ' Grandeur of the Seas ' who received a full fare refund and a free cruise voucher this seems a very poor compensation offer !

Her next cruise was due to depart from the UK port of Portsmouth on the 2nd June 2013..

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 05-31-2013 09:26 AM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Neil,

I would suggest these are two entirely different sets of circumstances. With the Grandeur fire, it was a traumatic experience for the guests and many more were terribly inconvenienced when their staterooms and belongings suffered smoke and water damage.

From my understanding of the Voyager situation, there has been no inconvenience in terms of interruption of services onboard as the hotel plant is fully functional. This was simply a mechanical malfunction which forced an additional day in the Irish port before the balance of the cruise was cancelled.

I would say a 60% refund is more than fair. Would a full refund be better? Of course! But I imagine most will be very pleased with the 60% considering they did get to take advantage of 6 days of hospitality, dining, wine and excursions.

Tim

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 05-31-2013 01:45 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tim -

I choose to disagree as peoples holidays were ruined as they did not visit the ports they had expected !

The same thing hapened some years ago when the company was operating their other cruise ship, ' Discovery ' , which is now chartered out , and ports were being missed due to a mechanical fault with the ship.

Many passengers were unhappy then with the compensation offered so it will be interesting to see the comments when the passengers get home and go on line .

The next cruise for the ' Voyager ' sailing from the UK port of Portsmouth , on the 2nd June 2013, has now been cancelled and passengers are getting a credit note to the value 140% of the fares paid to use on another cruise on ' Voyager ' or a full refund .!

[ 05-31-2013: Message edited by: Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company. ]

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 05-31-2013 03:56 PM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company.:
I choose to disagree as peoples holidays were ruined as they did not visit the ports they had expected !

We they should read their passenger contracts. The ship and line reserves the right to substitute or skip ports for any reason they think necessary.

That's one of the many things that is wrong with the world today. People miss a port and they expect compensation and threaten a law suit. How silly. If I received compensation every time I missed a port I would never have to pay for a cruise again. Years ago I was on the Royal Princess and we skipped Waterford due to bad weather and went to Cobh, then skipped Edinburgh because of high winds, arrived early in Oslo and ended up adding a stop in Copenhagen which was not even on the itinerary. My first trip on the Norway we only got St. Thomas with bad weather forcing up to skip both Nassau and the Out Island. No compensation other I think a free champagne cocktail from the captain the last night!

Posts: 757 | From: New York | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 05-31-2013 05:54 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We missed going to the Falklands-rough seas the excuse. Got 4 hours of free drinks. Not well publicized on the ship. I got a couple of cokes for the missed port.This was Princess.
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 05-31-2013 06:57 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I forgot what passengers on QM2 received after a POD was damaged several years ago. I recalled that a few ports missed while en route from Florida to Rio.

[ 06-01-2013: Message edited by: lasuvidaboy ]

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
steeplechase
First Class Passenger
Member # 4056

posted 06-02-2013 04:34 AM      Profile for steeplechase   Author's Homepage   Email steeplechase   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whaaa, we missed a Port. Too Many cry babies now a days. I wonder if the Titanic passengers were refunded anything and or sued?
Posts: 663 | From: elkton maryland | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 06-02-2013 05:38 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the UK we do have certain laws regarding services and what is provided !

The fares on this small 15,271 grt ship are on average £100.00p a day for the cheapest cabin so not a cheap holiday to have spoilt !

As I said before it will be interesting to read the passengers reviews.

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 06-02-2013 10:48 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some may have been over the moon and thanked their lucky stars to have had extra days there. Of course they may not say so in any review as they want $$ too. They have a fair deal imho. I've missed ports and got nothing - P&O, got substituted ports or at least a drink with others; not complaining about any of them. Oh some ranted for sure at reception, those who try every which way they can to get some refund, probably don't enjoy their holiday if they don't wangle something

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 06-02-2013 11:50 AM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
In the UK we do have certain laws regarding services and what is provided !

The fares on this small 15,271 grt ship are on average £100.00p a day for the cheapest cabin so not a cheap holiday to have spoilt !

As I said before it will be interesting to read the passengers reviews.

Neil,

I would imagine their contract of carriage operates within UK consumer protection laws?

From the contract of carriage:

9.3 If under clause 9.1 the Company cancels a cruise after the scheduled departure date, it will return all Passengers as soon as practicable to the UK and make a proportional refund for any unused services, less any insurance premiums paid and any nonrecoverable expenses incurred.

Based on the statement from VOD, I see that it complies with the above andgoes above and beyond it.

It also goes above and beyond CLIA's recently "bill of rights" - clauses 2 and 7 respectively.

Obviously you do not think this is fair, but in reality, it does not matter what you and I think - it's up to the individual guests and their acceptance of the offer.

But there is no denying this is a completely different set of circumstances that the RCCL fire, much different. Guests were never in peril, they were not awoken in the middle of the night, told to don life jackets and stand at their muster stations for 4 hours with lifeboats lowered and at the ready.

Question - how would P&O have handled the situation back in the 70's? I imagine in the same fashion - a pro rata refund, pick up the transport home and give everyone a chit for a future voyage for them to come back. If the crew onboard is happy and helpful and guests feel they are well looked after, they usually are OK with this.

Tim

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 06-02-2013 05:28 PM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
In the UK we do have certain laws regarding services and what is provided !.

We have consumer protection laws in the USA too.

These people had an inconvenience but they also had a portion of their trip and as Tim said they were never in danger, etc.

Problem is these days everyone wants to file a law suit and figures if so much as one dish is spoiled they are due full refunds and total compensation. I can hardly wait for when they start filing suits because the sun did not shine or the seas were too rough!

Posts: 757 | From: New York | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 06-10-2013 03:00 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The next cruise for the ' Voyager ' due to have departed from the UK port of Portsmouth, on the 11th June 2013, has now been cancelled.

Having arrived at Portsmouth around lunch time today the ship sailed again about 18.00 hrs and is going to be dry-docked at Bremerhaven. The next cruise she should operate is a charter cruise sailing on the 25th June 2013.

First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 06-10-2013 03:09 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tim

I can not remember one of our steam turbine engined cruising ships having many problems in the 1970's !.

It seems more problems have started since the introduction of cruise ships with diesel engines !

Regarding the compensation offered ' Saga Cruises ' made a far more generous offer when the cruise departing from the UK on ' Saga Ruby ' was cancelled !

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 06-10-2013 04:02 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
[...]
It seems more problems have started since the introduction of cruise ships with diesel engines ! [...]

The keyword here is seems. It only seems to be like that while in fact there is no increase in problems since the 1970ies nor a correlation to the application of diesel engines.

[ 06-10-2013: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 06-10-2013 07:08 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Tim I can not remember one of our steam turbine engined cruising ships having many problems in the 1970's !..

ss ORIANA had a nasty boiler room fire - I am sure there are others.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aussie1
First Class Passenger
Member # 25

posted 06-11-2013 03:24 AM      Profile for Aussie1   Email Aussie1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
During her time perminantly based in Australia, 1982 to 1986, I don't believe that the Oriana missed one voyage or in fact had a problem schedule keeping as she cruised between 18 to 22 knots but still could run at up to 26 knots to make up time. When years later the steam powered Fair Princess came downunder she had many major mechanical issues resulting in missed voyages and unscheduled drydockings. She was made right and become very popular but being steam turbine didn't make her trouble free.
Posts: 493 | From: Sydney,NSW, Australia | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.