- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Norwegian Breakaway or Peter Max?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Norwegian Breakaway or Peter Max?
Michael534
First Class Passenger
Member # 2953

posted 04-27-2013 09:52 PM      Profile for Michael534   Email Michael534   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just wondering why they chose to put Peter Max's signature so far up on the bow and the name of the ship on the side of the hull.
I think the general public will just assume the ships name is Peter Max.
I know this might sound silly, but how many people even know the name of the ship they sailed on. When I hear that someone has returned from a cruise I ask which ship they sailed and have heard all kinds of answers...
"It was big and white".
"I don't know, but we left from Florida."
"The one with the red smokestack."
and even..."It was the Queen something."
I really think people who see the ship in port or sailing by will see the name Peter Max on the bow and believe that is the name of the ship.

Michael

Posts: 483 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
JPW
First Class Passenger
Member # 77837

posted 04-28-2013 04:24 AM      Profile for JPW        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You are exactly right.

I can see someone walking into a travel agent and saying, "I'd like to go on a cruise on that new Peter Max ship". A new inexperienced travel agent staff member will spend 5 minutes or so looking through the brochures unable to find anything, before they have to ask someone else. I would love to be sitting there listening. I would have a good laugh.

I think it was a bad marketing decision on the part of NCL, but Peter Max must have had set a condition that it be there.

Posts: 15 | From: Gold Coast, Australia | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 04-28-2013 07:38 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In a way it's sad, but Peter Max would actually be the much better name.
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 04-28-2013 02:38 PM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
indeed, Ernst ;-)
I find "breakaway" to have very negative connotations, but i am not a native English speaker, for whom there are none ?
J

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 04-29-2013 10:50 AM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Out of all the silly hull art on NCL ships, this is the worst; looks like an eight year old got into the big box of crayons and went nuts.

IMO, it should be signed, "Suzy, First Grade."

-Russ

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 04-29-2013 11:17 AM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Suzy, First Grader would be a millionaire many times over! You may not like Peter Max but he is a credible artist with a long history. It's not my personal taste in art but I worked with someone who was a friend of Max and we had a number of his paintings hanging in the office as a result.

Like it or not ... I actually commend NCL for turning to established artists for the two newest works.

For the next two ships they should run a competition among artists for the commissions.

Posts: 757 | From: New York | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 04-29-2013 01:44 PM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess I just know what I like...and what I don't.

The average guy on the street (i.e. a typical NCL passenger) is probably clueless as to who Peter Max is....some might even think it's a billboard for some new male enhancement product.

-Russ

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 04-29-2013 04:04 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LOL Russ, but don't they sell his stuff in the onboard Art Auctions? The passengers might all know of him?

She does not look too bad re the hull art - it looks fine imho. It's the tiny tiny funnel which is virtually lost in among the other top deck paraphernalia giving her a 'bad hair day' silhouette. I think she looks pretty good apart from that.

A few pictures from today in Southampton:-

Plenty more here

Pam

[ 04-29-2013: Message edited by: PamM ]

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 04-29-2013 04:18 PM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, if they didn't sell his artwork on board before, they should now.

Great photos as usual, Pam. If there's one thing I learned from your shots is that she's one of those ships that's pleasant from one angle and ugly from another. The bow-on shots are nice...as long as you don't see the lifeboats sticking out. Her profile isn't bad but, I agree, the funnel seems like a lost puppy.

-Russ

Anders
First Class Passenger
Member # 6373

posted 04-29-2013 05:02 PM      Profile for Anders        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even if NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY's exterior lines leave something to be desired, the same can not be said for the interior design IMO

See the link below for a series of brilliant interior photos by Andreas Depping:

BREAKAWAY Interior Photos - Andreas Depping

To my eyes it seems NCL and their interior designers have stepped it up a notch compared to previous generations of newbuilds. Still very colourful and with a Las Vegas feel, but less whimsical and more elegant IMO

Also, check out ShipParade.com for another great series of BREAKAWAY photos by Bart de Boer, even showing areas such as the cabins, the Waterfront and the top decks.

[ 04-29-2013: Message edited by: Anders ]

[ 04-29-2013: Message edited by: Anders ]

Posts: 258 | From: Oslo, Norway | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
avalon1025
First Class Passenger
Member # 5383

posted 04-29-2013 05:15 PM      Profile for avalon1025   Email avalon1025   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the only room i dislike is the show lounge, kinda looks like a HS auditorium. Also, why would anyone want to eat outside the bistro dead center of the atrium
Posts: 331 | From: West Hollywood | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 04-30-2013 04:02 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norwegian Breakaway pictures at cruisetricks.de

[ 04-30-2013: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 04-30-2013 05:06 PM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very nice pics, Pam.
As for the exterior, there are indeed worse, but it really very dul, bland and boringl, don't you think endless rows of balconies...
The interior looks good.
Never say never, but it is not really enticing,...
J

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 04-30-2013 06:58 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They should have named the ship "NORWEGIAN PETER MAX"
Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
FuzzyFish
First Class Passenger
Member # 33185

posted 04-30-2013 11:17 PM      Profile for FuzzyFish   Email FuzzyFish   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johan:

As for the exterior, there are indeed worse, but it really very dul, bland and boringl, don't you think endless rows of balconies...

J

But that's really the same for all megaship no?

I think Breakaway looks pretty good, she's got a nice stern profile and I like the hullart.
The ropes course and the big white box does look horrible though...

Posts: 144 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-01-2013 08:42 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TheLuxuryCruiseCo's photostream at flickr on Norwegian Breakaway

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:
[...]
Also, check out ShipParade.com for another great series of BREAKAWAY photos by Bart de Boer, even showing areas such as the cabins, the Waterfront and the top decks.[..]

ShipParade - Norwegian Breakaway

[ 05-01-2013: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-01-2013 09:06 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
YouTube Video: Norwegian Breakaway Ropes Course: The Plank (part 1)

YouTube Video: Norwegian Breakaway Ropes Course: The Plank (part 2)

YouTube Video: Norwegian Breakaway Ropes Course: The Plank (part 3)

DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 05-01-2013 11:11 AM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Plank seems to offer a rather cool experience but the rest of the rope course just feels kind of boring. Maybe I just don't understand the appeal of walking around on a bar. It's like an adult version of the multi level fun houses I would run through as a kid at the local fair. Considering how it ruined the appearance of the ship and creates a weird structure over everything below, including the golf course, it seem rather odd to have gone through with it. It's got to be a turn off for people who want to do those other activities or even walk around but you have to worry about people above you. We've seen teens throwing deck chairs overboard, how long until they realize they can simple drop things from up there.
Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-01-2013 01:59 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norwegian Breakaway gallery at 'Ocean Liner Pictures'
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-06-2013 03:21 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They say that there is a spelling mistake on the hull. I assume that this is a genuine image?

[ 05-06-2013: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.