- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Cruising on a Clipper - Star Flyer trip reports.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cruising on a Clipper - Star Flyer trip reports.
Matts
First Class Passenger
Member # 4120

posted 05-17-2012 01:42 PM      Profile for Matts     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How do you end a big party? Why, with a sailaway of course. But if you want to make it special how about a sailaway parade - better still be on the lead ship, a sailing ship. Well, that is exactly what I did with some friends to round off our trip to the AidaMar naming, Harbour birthday. Our ship was the Star Flyer. Part of the Star Clippers fleet, the Star Flyer and her sister accommodate just 170 passengers and 72 crew within a 360ft, 2,298gt hull. Both the Flyer and Clipper are true clippers with 36,000sq ft of sail. The brochure says they are created for luxury loving passengers who love the traditions and romance of the sailing era.

The Star Flyer is operating an unusual season on Northern Europe for Star Clippers. As part of that she attended the Hafensgeburtstag and took part in several parades, being the lead ship in the final parade of sail. Its always a pleasure for me to try unusual ships, but despite my 70+ cruises, this was my first sailing ship. We boarded by tender, with the Uberseebrucke where she was berthed being inaccessible due to the festivities. BEfore you board, you are made to sign a lengthy waiver which covers tendering and all kinds of sports. Our tender driver appeared to have been trained by Captain Schettino of Costa since we crashed into things repeatedly whilst attempting to reach the ship, including impaling ourselves on a security fence, getting a naval ship's mooring wire stuck under our canopy and repeated collisions with pilings. Not perhaps the most auspicious start, but then we are here to sail and the tender might be the end of the motor powered sailing perhaps?

Onboard, more forms, this time signing for your key which is attached to a string and flotation ball, just in case. My cabin, 135 was in the stern section, with everything you need, superb wooden furniture. Everything is designed to be fully yacht like and there are special closing latches on the wardrobe doors. The ensuite bathroom has a serious slope for draining the shower at any angle. The cabin has a small seat/ luggage stand but is otherwise compact and functional. My favourite thing are the specially weighted lamps which stay upright at any angle of pitch or roll no matter what.

Throughout the ship, there are some wonderful touches. A stair bannister carved to look like a mooring rope for instance. Another is wandering down a corridor and being confronted with the mast climbing up through the ship. The ship's public rooms include a library, described as edwardian in style. And there is the Piano bar with a central atrium skylight down into the dining room. The atrium skylight contains the swimming pool so it is to be hoped there are no 'wardrobe malfunctions' amongst the bathers. I say bathers advisedly since the thing is about the size of a large bath. On star clippers, watersports are to be enjoyed principally over the side, not on the vessel. Final public space is the 'Tropical Bar' which is between the 2 deckhouses and has been partially enclosed by canvas awnings.

After boarding, we enjoyed the lunch buffet and perused the programme. The buffet, in common with most of the food, was not bad but certainly nothing special or memorable. A steward with a bell wanders the cabin decks to announce the start of dinner. Dinner is open seating, but with a full ship, and 98% german passengers (we were the 2%), everyone turns up precisely on time. The dining room is wood panelled, and adorned with pictures of significant sailing ships. Unfortunately the dining room was probably the inspiration for the MSC fleet, and is horribly, uncomfortably crowded. It is difficult to get in and out of seats, or past other guests unless you are lucky enough to secure the end seats. Of course the passengers soon cotton on to this, and by day 2 we see the equivalent of the towels on sunloungers, and people are seated in the dining room 15 minutes before dinner starts!. The Maitre D' and hotel manager stand at the bottom of the stairs from the Piano Bar and I had assumed they were there to greet and seat but in reality they only did this for some. The Maitre D's principle role seemed to be to shoo people along the benches for the booth seats emphasising that 'we are full' so every seat must be used. And there are really not enough waiters to offer decent service. There is also, due to the cramped room, some handing plates along the passengers, never the mark of a line that considers itself luxury. The Maitre D' and hotel manager's attitude characterises most of the staff I encountered, borderline indifference and certainly not friendly, and frequently not undertaking the roles their contemporaries on other ships do. Ask for something at the Pursers office and the chap there can't be bothered to reach into a drawer behind him and says 'come back later'. The kitchen must also be cramped since at dinner, the buffet station in the centre of the dining room is commandeered as a supplementary preparation area and the ship's nurse seems to be pressed into preparing salads and starters.

Evening entertainment is strictly limited with the resident pianist offering either tunes in the Piano bar or on his electronic keyboard outside in the tropical bar. The outside keyboard has a distinct 'Maplin's Holiday Camp' tone to it. In the Piano bar for pre-dinner drinks, it is difficult to tell whether table service is offered, in fact by the end of the trip I still haven't worked it out. At least the drink prices were reasonable.

Our itinerary has a sea day heading for Texel (dutch island). Unfortunately the wind is too strong in the wrong direction and we barely sail, but instead motor along. Star Flyer has a lively but not uncomfortable motion with none of the snap and shudder big ships can produce. With the outside decks being so windswept, the utter unsuitability of Star Flyer for a Northern European itinerary becomes clear. With 170 passengers, there are just 63 indoor seats in the Piano bar and about 25 in the library. The cabins also don't have much by the way of seating and the result is people huddled up in coats trying to find somewhere out of the worst of the wind for most of the day. With the ship sailing on engine power, my aft cabin is noisy, so noisy in fact I am convinced that the engine must be in the cupboard under the window.

On the sea day, there are about 8 things on the programme, 4 of which are meals. One is 'Captain's story time which is only offered in German. Fair enough I suppose given the passenger mix but not what was advertised. That night is Captain's dinner, and again the food is unmemorable. This 'welcome aboard' dinner also saw the Captain come along, but as with every other time I see him in the dining room, he stays for only 1 course and makes little effort with the passengers. With such a light programme, I don't know what the 'Cruise Director' actually does.

On the final night before Amsterdam there is special entertainment with the 'crew talent show'. The most aimiable crew, the sports team, dress up as Abba for a cheesy rendition followed by the usual talent. The night before we were treated to a 'fashion show' for which read crew dragooned into wearing items from the ship sloop shop. I didn't expect much, if any, entertainment, but quite honestly I had expected that if there was any it would be slightly upmarket from the mass market tacky crap I can get elsewhere. Needless to say there was a baked Alaska parade and 'we are the world' singalong in the dining room followed by the heart rending speech about how we loved having you here and here are the tip envelopes....

Overall, the Star Flyer is a vessel utterly unsuited to Northern Europe itineraries, the food was unmemorable, the staff mostly indifferent and I can only conclude that one is essentially paying for the novelty of sailing on a Clipper ship. And a lovely ship she is indeed, but she has far too many passengers to be comfortable especially in the dining room. I wouldn't rule out a go on the Royal Clipper if the price, climate and itinerary were right, but that price needs to be about 60% less than those on the website to represent value for money. Star Clippers fares were almost Seabourn level, but ship apart, closer to an MSC experience.

A small selection of pics of the ship for those interested
http://www.flickr.com/photos/foodafloat/sets/72157629772518660/

Posts: 829 | From: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-17-2012 03:57 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the detailed review. Being on a sailing ship that does not sail su**s. I hope you will give sailing ships another chance. Being under sail can compensate for quite a lot of the annoying things you encountered.
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.