- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Titanic II (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Titanic II
Olsen Dk
First Class Passenger
Member # 16253

posted 04-30-2012 09:23 AM      Profile for Olsen Dk   Email Olsen Dk   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder if it gets built??, and perhaps more what the price is for a cabin on the maiden voyage will cost?. is certainly that I would enjoy a cruise aboard the Titanic II

Link

Posts: 22 | From: Slagelse Denmark | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-30-2012 10:48 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trust me, it's a pipe dream.

By the time you had added all the modern safety features, lifeboats and modern accommodation (no steerage) etc., she would not be very much like the original Titanic.

I'm not even sure if the hull would perform to modern buoyancy standards. If that had to be re-designed, she would definitely look like a different ship - pointless.

Of course it would be so much cheaper (and probably more profitable) to build a modern cruise ship.

Anyway, the QM2 is the modern day Titanic!

[ 04-30-2012: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 04-30-2012 10:51 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Every few years we see a resurrection of this dream, which is merely grand-standing. The wealthy people who sponsor these projects didn't make their money from stupid investments. Rather than invest their own millions, they rely on money from other investors, and projects like this never work out.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
oslo dutch
First Class Passenger
Member # 4669

posted 04-30-2012 02:50 PM      Profile for oslo dutch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very well put Malcolm!

Don't we get these plan every once in a while, to be never heard about....

I can remember reading about one plan about 10 years ago. This idiot wanted to do a 100 year remembrance crossing and lower the life boats mid ocean with passengers.....

It was on all the big news sites today

Posts: 349 | From: Oslo | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 04-30-2012 03:12 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

[...]

Exactly. It has been done, this niche is already 'occupied'. Most of these 'projects' are based on a contradiction: One can't rebuild Titanic compliant with nowadays standards - every concession to modern safety and shipbuilding standards as well as 'creature comforts' would be in contradiction to rebuilding her in original condition. If one thinks that through one finally ends up with a ship like QM2 or the Disney ships.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 04-30-2012 07:51 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Trust me, it's a pipe dream.

[ 04-30-2012: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Actually the R-ship interiors are closet to the look of the Titanic of anything sailing today. Deutschland is second.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 04-30-2012 09:00 PM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I may be alone on this, but I think this is the first project that actually seems plausible. We've seen tons of projects trying to build a new Titanic but they all claim to want to build it exactly like the original. This one is coming strait out and saying that it will not be identical because it needs to meet modern safety standards. The other thing about it is that usually we here these announcement's attached to a group name along with a request for investors. None of these stories have mentioned any need for investors. This is not a group trying to build a Titanic replica, this is a wealthy man known for building luxury resorts who has signed a letter of intent for 4 ships to start a new cruise line with the Titanic II as the center piece. This is not some group's dream to sail the Titanic again, but the plan of a wealthy luxury resort organization making the move into a new industry and choosing to gain a jump start in the press by piggybacking on the Titanic name. The fact that they are planning 4 ships from the start really says something about the significance of the project beyond just the Titanic II.
Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
jeremya
First Class Passenger
Member # 5699

posted 04-30-2012 11:26 PM      Profile for jeremya   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Would you believe it if I told you that this story got billing on the main CTV National News tonight ???

I guess it is real. We'll see if it gets built now that he is making news all over the world.

Posts: 377 | From: montreal | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 05-01-2012 12:14 AM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do they even build cruise ships as small as the Titanic any more?

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-01-2012 04:13 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brian_O:
Do they even build cruise ships as small as the Titanic any more?

Brian

Of course! The new Seabourn and Silversea ships, Europa 2, or L'Austral and Le Boreal are all recently built reasonably sized vessels.

Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 05-01-2012 07:04 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jeremya:
Would you believe it if I told you that this story got billing on the main CTV National News tonight ???

This story has made TV news all over the world, both local and national newscasts. Much is being made of the fact that the new ship would sail on the exact route of the original TITANIC, as if that were some mysterious and unknown path which has never again been attempted!

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 05-01-2012 07:38 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder if any of the Costa Concordia passengers would book a cruise on the Titanic II
Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 05-01-2012 10:13 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IMHO the new ship will NOT resemble the original ezcept for some of the interior venues,eg. the staircase and clock area. As stated it must have all the latest safety items.
If it is built the cost of a cruise would be expensive.Much higher than the current $$$ ships.
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 05-01-2012 10:30 AM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I do not know. I think building it in China might allow more "craftmanship" at a lower price. Look at this yacht "Nero" built in China to resemble JP Morgan's Corvair yachts..

the original Corsair IV

If they can make a Titanic II that has the flavor of the Nero, it could be interesting, if a little too goulish for my taste.

[ 05-01-2012: Message edited by: Thad ]

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-01-2012 12:54 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Building a cruise ship in China should not be an issue. While there is certainly the one or the other thing to learn on how to build a good cruise ships efficiently there is on the other hand no 'secret technology' involved.

The yacht posted above is BTW an excellent example of a 'phoney imitation'. It's maybe an interesting concept but even on the photo above she is clearly identified as modern ship.

desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 05-01-2012 01:05 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Building a retro yacht with modern mechanicals for personal use is not the same as a retro cruiseship for commerical trading, still have the 100 year old design, and be marketeable.

Europe and the USA many old buildings are updated and adaptively reused. The facade and the lobby remain with the non-public spaces modernized and not looking like they did years ago.

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-01-2012 01:09 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:
[...[still have the 100 year old design, and be marketeable.[...]

The 100 year old design is not marketable.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-01-2012 03:04 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

The 100 year old design is not marketable.

Not marketable?

A lot of people have made a lot of money from the Titanic over the past 100 years and still are!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-01-2012 03:22 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Not marketable?

A lot of people have made a lot of money from the Titanic over the past 100 years and still are!

What I meant is that the original design is not marketable as cruise ship. People might say that they would like to experience 'Titanic' but frankly, I doubt that they have any clue what that would be about. I am sure one can make a lot of money with a 'Titanic themed' cruise ship, however, there is no way a truly original replica could find a market. Even her first class cabins lacked many facilities that are standard these days - not to talk about other features most passengers would expect aboard a modern cruise ship - and an truly original replica would be a rather expensive cruise ship too.

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 05-02-2012 12:45 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thad:
Well, I do not know. I think building it in China might allow more "craftmanship" at a lower price. Look at this yacht "Nero" built in China to resemble JP Morgan's Corvair yachts..

[ 05-01-2012: Message edited by: Thad ]

code:

I forgot about this gorgeous yacht. There are several design elements that give it away as being new, but it is still amazing looking. As for building in a country like China, why not? James Cameron took advantage of Mexico's low labor rates when he re-created the interiors of Titanic.

Ship the raw materials to one of those countries, and the craftsmen can build incredible re-creations for a fraction of the price if it was made in the States or Europe. Several well-known European design houses do it w/clothing and accessories so why not complete interiors?

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-02-2012 02:12 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

What I meant is that the original design is not marketable as cruise ship.

Rubbish!

Once the balconies, ice rink and rock-wall are added she will sell like hot cakes.

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 05-02-2012 02:48 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Rubbish!

Once the balconies, ice rink and rock-wall are added she will sell like hot cakes.

True! Maybe the balconies could be incorporated into what were the covered promenades on the original.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 05-02-2012 06:56 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know why but this reminds me of a Chinese Junk. Only a modern version. I think it's the hull.
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
jeffrossatsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 2962

posted 05-02-2012 07:09 PM      Profile for jeffrossatsea   Email jeffrossatsea   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
if he WAS to have this built...who would run the line?...or would he start white star name again?...if cunard (carnivore) let him
Posts: 1118 | From: vancouver | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Danpc5
First Class Passenger
Member # 74766

posted 05-02-2012 09:10 PM      Profile for Danpc5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Titanic name and project, aren't property of Cunard?

I guess this australian must have autorization to build a ship like Titanic with the same name. I don't know if in that time this already exists, but something like what now we call trade mark must exists.

[ 05-02-2012: Message edited by: Daniel Capella ]

Posts: 108 | From: Santos, Brazil - Biggest Cruise Port of Southern Hemisphere! | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.