- Ernst's Site
   - Patsy's Site
   - Ben's Site
   - Carlos' Site
   - Chris' Site
   - SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. this week announced it has completed its previously-announced acquisition of Prestige Cruises International, Inc. ("Prestige"), the market leader in the upscale cruise segment...

Latest News...On the heels of the successful launch of "Celebrity Explorations" – unique vacations that pair ocean cruises with rich destination experiences on land – is the introduction of European river-and-ocean cruise vacation packages. Unique to the cruise industry...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc , the world’s largest cruise company, today announced its first-ever multi-brand marketing initiative incorporating all nine of its leading global brands to drive increased awareness, consideration and demand for cruising...

More Cruise News...

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Costa Concordia Listing ! (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Author Topic: Costa Concordia Listing !
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 01-14-2012 05:59 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder whats going on a Carnival Corp? I imagine they have a response team fro such an unexpected emergency? I wonder if the ship will be declared a total loss?
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 01-14-2012 06:19 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 01-14-2012 06:28 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There's an audio account of the event by a steward which is available from the BBC News story. He says that there was "a roaring sound", and then "the ship tilt to the left". Then he says that they received messages that "all is OK, it's under control". Then I think he says they were attending to the guests. He says that this lasted for a while: he says "Then maybe around one hour or something like that they announce general emergency", and he says the crew took the passengers to the muster stations, and the crew stayed there as well. Then he says: "and then the ship tilt to the right, the opposite side...". After that they received the order to abandon ship, but couldn't use the boats on their proper side; he says "happily [?] ...the officer came and they told us to go to other side, the right side, the tilt side; so the passenger(s) and the crew went there." You can hear his voice becoming hard to understand with emotion, but I think he says after that that they had some problems getting to the boats because of the tilt, but they managed it, and some passengers and crew were able to get off in boats. But he wasn't able to: ".. because suddenly the ships start to sink on that side. So for we .. crew ... we had lifebelts; we jump on (into) the sea. We just swim; and luckily there's an island near us .. maybe 300 or 400 metres ... we just swim there and luckily we survived there".

It must have been terrifying experience, but he sounds as if he was trying to do his job and look after the passengers as well as save himself and his fellow crew members.

It sounds if there were a series of events: the first collision, followed by a list to port after which the passengers were taken to muster stations; then a interval of perhaps an hour which was terminated by another event which caused the ship to suddenly list to the other side, after which everyone abandoned ship. But we'll learn more details in time, I'm sure.

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 01-14-2012 06:34 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am curious to know if the Destiny class is built to a 2 or 3 compartment standard?

My recollection is the the SSUS is a 5 compartment standard ship, and SOLAS used to require 2 compartments.

The Monarch of the Seas also hit a reef many years ago, ship was beached and sank upright and was refloated.

I was advised that if the Monarch was in deep water she would have been afloat for 2 hours.

Compartmentalization does not stop a ship from sinking, just slows it down to get the passengers off

quote:
Originally posted by OceanVoyager:
Shocking image...

Rgds,
Andrew

[ 01-14-2012: Message edited by: OceanVoyager ]

Posts: 5700 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 01-14-2012 07:00 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:
[...]

My recollection is the the SSUS is a 5 compartment standard ship, and SOLAS used to require 2 compartments.

This is not true.
Also, be aware that for many 'two compartment ships' the foremost four adjacent compartments can be flooded without sinking the ship. Also, many 'two compartment' ships can tolerate more non-adjacent compartments to be flooded.

Beside that, it would not necessarily have made a difference. If the leak is too large, it's too large.

A hull is capable to stay afloat with a certain part of it's length being flooded - this is an important input during the design process to choose where watertight bulkheads have to be placed. e.g. for a 'two compartment ship' two adjacent compartments have to be shorter than this 'floodable length'.

However, if the leak is 'longer' it would not necessarily make that much of a difference. In fact, one could even imagine a configuration of water tight compartments where the compartments are placed such so that more of them could be flooded (e.g. a 'three compartment ship') but where the same leak would in fact cause a larger section of the hull to be flooded compared to a configuration of compartments where only two compartments may be flooded to keep the ship afloat (this is a 'Gedankenexperiment' you can easily do yourself).

->> If there is a very large leak it does not make that much of a difference if the section of the hull that is affected by the leak (and flooded) is split between more compartments - the ship will go down.

quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:
[...]
Compartmentalization does not stop a ship from sinking, just slows it down to get the passengers off

This is also not true. Compartmentization can indeed very effectively prevent a ship form sinking. Of course, there are limits to that - e.g. when the leak is very large.

Pleaae be aware that the above explanations are rather simplified. However, I hope that it helps to understand how 'compartmentization' works. There are of course other factors to be considered - beside the stability of the ship one also must not forget that too many compartments might e.g. be hindering in case of an evacuation (etc. etc.).

[ 01-14-2012: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Posts: 9723 | From: Baden-Württemberg, Germany - originally from Vienna, Austria | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company.
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 01-14-2012 07:00 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company.   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company.   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was really shocked when I first got the news last night.

My thoughts are with all those that have lost loved ones in this terrible accident.

Seeing the Costa Concordia on her side reminds me of when the Chinese owned, ex P & O cruises ship, ss Oriana was torn off the quay at Dalian during a typhon and finished up partly sunk and full of water having had her hull punctured by an object on the harbour floor..

It took the Chinese nearly ten months to get her upright again but she was so badly damaged inside she was scrapped.

Posts: 2262 | From: Luton, UK. - Home of the largest one day Carnival in Britain ! | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 01-14-2012 07:34 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Youtube video at around 34 seconds a close up of the damage to her hull

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYwLQDwqDCI&feature=player_embedded#!

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 01-14-2012 08:01 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is that a gigantic rock embedded in her hull?

[ 01-14-2012: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 01-14-2012 08:11 AM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is insane - and tragic.
I guess I don't understand how compartmentalization works as much as I thought.

Thank God the ship was in relatively shallow waters. Any hope for salvage?

Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 01-14-2012 08:37 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
Is that a gigantic rock embedded in her hull?

[ 01-14-2012: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Sure looks like it. Not something you see every day.

I'm still perplexed how the ship could hit a reef in such well charted waters and with the most modern equipment onboard? Was there some kind of power failure beforehand?

It will be interesting to learn exactly what happened, and hopefully something like this can be prevented in the future.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
rd77
First Class Passenger
Member # 2117

posted 01-14-2012 08:45 AM      Profile for rd77   Email rd77   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rex:
This is insane - and tragic.

Thank God the ship was in relatively shallow waters. Any hope for salvage?

I think she will be salvaged (provided she doesn't break up on the spot). I would expect her to be declared a CTL, and then sold on to another company willing to repair her. It will be expensive to repair her, but still a lot cheaper than building a new ship of similar size. Remember, she's only six years old.

Posts: 1009 | From: The Hague, Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aleks
First Class Passenger
Member # 2733

posted 01-14-2012 08:46 AM      Profile for Aleks   Email Aleks   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very tragic.
No matter how this happend, lives have been lost and the public now know for sure that even the newest, biggest and most technically advanced ships still sinks relatively easely under the right conditions. In worse conditions this could have been a huge disaster. A lot of questions will be asked about ship safety after this. Im hoping this disaster will result in even more focus on safety and more secure ships.

Posts: 76 | From: Trondheim( Norway) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 01-14-2012 08:50 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Aerial footage of Costa Concordia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daBOOwTpYg8&feature=player_embedded#!

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 01-14-2012 08:51 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aleks:
A lot of questions will be asked about ship safety after this. Im hoping this disaster will result in even more focus on safety and more secure ships.

I agree. I also wonder if the same accident happened on a ship that meets the new SOLAS requirements of "safe return to port" if the outcome would have been any different?

Ernie

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 01-14-2012 08:56 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

I agree. I also wonder if the same accident happened on a ship that meets the new SOLAS requirements of "safe return to port" if the outcome would have been any different?

Ernie

It is too early to come to any conclusions but evidently she was maneuvering to the position where she sank under her own power.

[ 01-14-2012: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

Posts: 9723 | From: Baden-Württemberg, Germany - originally from Vienna, Austria | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 01-14-2012 08:56 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Amazing images of Concordia on her side. I wonder why the stabilizers were deployed? The seas looked calm the night of the accident.

Also, I would not be surprised if the ship was righted, repaired and possibly even re-named. We have seen several other ships that appeared to be a complete loss later repaired.

This accident may require that a lifeboat drill take place before a ship departs the dock.

[ 01-14-2012: Message edited by: lasuvidaboy ]

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 01-14-2012 09:03 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is so terrible, my heart goes out to everyone involved in this disaster. It shows that not everything can go as smoothly as it appears.

Posts: 671 | From: Olney, IL, Move to FL 02/2015, Sailed SS NORWAY 3 xs. /May '99 Orig. Reg. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 01-14-2012 09:04 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rex:
[QB]This is insane - and tragic.

/QB]

And that is one big hole! Any ship will sink if there is enough damage but most would think that a modern cruise ship could handle such a collision.

The hole is on the port side but the ship rolled onto her starboard side. I wonder if there is an even larger hole(s) on the starboard side.

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 01-14-2012 09:04 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

It is too early to come to any conclusions but evidently she was maneuvering to the position where she sank under her own power.

There very well could have been some malfunction and/or catastrophic mechanical failure (similar to SPLENDOR) or something completely different. We don't know.

Ernie

[ 01-14-2012: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 01-14-2012 09:09 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This track of her course posted on Cruise Critic

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 01-14-2012 09:13 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

Sorry if that is colliding with your intention to construct a connection to the Carnvial Splendor incident.

Oh and if you think I'm the first to speculate on any possible correlation between SPLENDOR and CONCORDIA you give me way too much credit. It's already been discussed on other boards to a great extent. It's also not unrealistic to make such a correlation. Cruise ship accidents are rare. Even more rare are two serious incidents concerning the same class of ship. It very well could be coincidence, or there could be some design flaw with the design of the ship. If there is a design flaw I sure as hell would want it analyzed and corrected.

Ernie

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 01-14-2012 09:16 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
This track of her course posted on Cruise Critic

On another board they show this same map, but it also apparently shows the ship heading straight for Giglio at 15 knots. Again it makes me wonder if there was some sort of catastrophic failure with the electrical systems or propulsion where they couldn't turn?

Ernie

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 01-14-2012 09:19 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Seems you are doing a bit of your own speculating. Practice what you preach and quit being such a hypocrite.

Where am I speculating?

quote:
[...]
If you don't like it then don't read it or do to another message board.

There very well could have been some malfunction and/or catastrophic mechanical failure (similar to SPLENDOR) or something completely different. We don't know.
Ernie

Well, it is possible to make comments here without insinuating that Costa Concordia was not up to standards. You also do not seem to be ashamed to continue your "Carnival' bashing in a thread about an accident where people died. The future will tell whether the other incidents with Carnival ships are connected to this incident or not but for now such comments are simply totally out of place.

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 01-14-2012 09:23 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why was the ship headed directly towards that small island?

Did she hit something farther out or was there an incident that caused enough damage onboard that the captain attempted to beach her?

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 01-14-2012 09:29 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atlcruiser:

We are discussing what happened to the ship. No one is pointing fingers.

Sorry, but that's simply not true.
Ernie's posting definitely insinuate that he tries to 'build a case' and this is a pretty serious accusation.

quote:
Originally posted by Atlcruiser:

Why are you such an ass? Serious dude.[...]
Why in the hell don't you go back to bed and get up on the right side. [...]

Look, if that's how you want to express yourself, it's fine, people will come to their own conclusions.

I think it's extremely pathetic to 'hide' behind stating that e.g. I try to hinder someone to express his opinion just because I heftily disagree with it. This actually is what a discussion is about.

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2006 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.