- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Costa Concordia Listing ! (Page 14)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Author Topic: Costa Concordia Listing !
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-12-2012 08:52 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for these. It certainly does not look like the mass scrambling and panic described elsewhere on ship. Fairly calm and only when on the lifeboat being lowered is there some shouting, but without understanding what is being said can't tell if it's happy screaming re departure or panic screaming re the lowering. Finally some footage of the liferafts being used too and the collapse of the pool covers as Deb mentioned from the webcam.

It is very odd, if it is indeed true, that the prosecutor has not seen these first. With not coming to light until a few weeks after the event makes me think otherwise, to hide the identity of the filmer.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-12-2012 10:22 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I honestly believe based on what I have read and heard that if everyone was mustered just after the impact, there would have been no loss of life.

All but 3 lifeboats were launched on the high list side.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-12-2012 12:24 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:
I honestly believe based on what I have read and heard that if everyone was mustered just after the impact, there would have been no loss of life.

All but 3 lifeboats were launched on the high list side.

Sofar I also have not heard a good reason why mustering did not start earlier. The bridge crew might indeed not have been aware of the extent of the damage for quite some time but even if it was unclear whether an evacuation was necessary nor not, mustering should have started immediately.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
jetwet1
First Class Passenger
Member # 6361

posted 02-12-2012 11:09 PM      Profile for jetwet1   Author's Homepage   Email jetwet1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The fuel is now being pumped out.
Posts: 608 | From: Las VEgas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 02-19-2012 08:23 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
An update on the condition of the ship and the rocks she's perched on...very eye opening:
COSTA CONCORDIA Underwater Damage ROV Discovery News

Posts: 687 | From: Olney, IL, Move to FL 02/2015, Sailed SS NORWAY 3 xs. /May '99 Orig. Reg. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Michael534
First Class Passenger
Member # 2953

posted 02-19-2012 09:30 PM      Profile for Michael534   Email Michael534   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great video! Doesn't look too good for Concordia. It 's hard to believe she is supported only by those to rocks. Thanks for sharing the link, Deb!

Michael

Posts: 483 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 02-19-2012 10:36 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're welcome Michael, at this point I'm not sure how much longer she'll have on the surface. An aquaintance of mine said she thinks the midsection on the CONCORDIA may be bending. I think she's right.
Posts: 687 | From: Olney, IL, Move to FL 02/2015, Sailed SS NORWAY 3 xs. /May '99 Orig. Reg. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cunardcoll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1226

posted 02-20-2012 08:36 AM      Profile for Cunardcoll   Author's Homepage   Email Cunardcoll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think she 's ever going to sail again, even the best salvage companies have never been able to refloat a large vessel in such a situation, remember the riverdance ... ? and she was not really damaged, Costa Concordia has extensive damage below the waterline, or she will sink completely or she 'll be broken up on the spot...
Posts: 947 | From: Belgium | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 02-20-2012 10:11 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I heard a report that the Captain had traces of Cocaine (hair) and possibly other areas.
Did anyone else hear about this?? Was on the news.
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-20-2012 11:45 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Which means what? That he has possibly walked by someone else who has been using it.
The Capt himself has tested negative for alcohol and drug abuse. According to reports "they did not find any signs of breakdown products of cocaine inside
Mr Schettino's hair follicles - the products that would usually show up inside the hair of someone who had actually used cocaine."

Pam

Chip
First Class Passenger
Member # 3576

posted 02-20-2012 02:46 PM      Profile for Chip   Email Chip   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last night (2/19/2012) there was a show on the Discovery Channel about the accident. When the ship hit the rock they were traveling at around 16 knots. When the ship lost it's forward momentum they were in 350 feet of water. According the shows experts it appears she was pushed back towards the island by a combination of the wind and sea currents.
Posts: 19 | From: Farmington Hills, Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 02-22-2012 09:58 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Four more bodies found today. Total now 20 dead. Still more missing.
If and when they right the ship maybe the rest will be found providing they did not get sweep ot to sea earlier.
F4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 02-22-2012 02:05 PM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Update: now being reported as eight bodies found today, and suggesting a total of 25 bodies now found. They are being said to include that of the 5-year old girl who is believed to have died.
Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-22-2012 02:12 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the crew members, one on video, that told the passengers to go back to their cabins should be charged with murder.

PS: I think this is the longest running CruiseTalk thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Globaliser:
Update: now being reported as eight bodies found today, and suggesting a total of 25 bodies now found. They are being said to include that of the 5-year old girl who is believed to have died.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-22-2012 02:42 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think the crew members, one on video, that told the passengers to go back to their cabins should be charged with murder.[...]

Do you really think that this person - whoever gave that order - had the intention (!) to kill someone? It might have been careless or stupid - and we do not even know that for now - but murder (!) is a very, very sever accusation.

desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-22-2012 04:39 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
how bout manslaughter, however you season it, people believed them and got trapped in the bowels of the ship. If they were on deck, there was a better chance at rescue.

They should not go unpunished.

quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

Do you really think that this person - whoever gave that order - had the intention (!) to kill someone? It might have been careless or stupid - and we do not even know that for now - but murder (!) is a very, very sever accusation.

Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 02-23-2012 03:49 AM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think the crew members, one on video, that told the passengers to go back to their cabins should be charged with murder.
quote:
They should not go unpunished.
Condemnation by 20/20 hindsight.

Particularly in the light of the instructions given to passengers for action when the general muster signal is sounded.

Lovely.

Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 02-23-2012 06:12 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Having made the first post about the Costa Concordia on the 13th January, 2012, I expect that this topic will run until the ship is either removed from her present position or has slipped off the ledge.

It has been reported today that some of the Costa Cruises company staff are now being questioned including the head of their crisis unit.

Having seen pictures of the interior damage to the ss Oriana, after she was holed and partially sunk during a typhoon at the Chinese port of Dalain, I do not think Costs Concordia will ever return to service.

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-23-2012 06:39 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If a General Muster had been issued and all the passengers and crew were gathered at the lifeboat stations in their life jackets, and if it was indeed only just an electrical problem and with the below decks and interiors of the ship nearly completely darkened and without power, the passengers should never, EVER have been requested to return to their cabins, especially below decks.

And every response I have read regarding this particular circumstance is in full agreement.

Who in their right mind actually orders life jacketed passengers back to their cabins when a General Muster has been ordered and announced, and not rescinded.

Answer that.

It was obvious to the passengers that it was more than just an electrical problem. That's why you do not see in any of the videos that have surfaced hallways full of people heading back to their cabins.

The person (ships officer?) issuing the request (order?) for passengers to return to their cabins should at least be identified by the cruise line and find out where she got her orders from, the orders to tell life jacketed passengers to go back to their cabins.

If I was one of the passengers standing right there in front of her, I would have told her to her face that she was CRAZY in the head if she thought I was going back to my cabin, in the dark, while the ships crew attempted to fix the reported 'electrical problem'.

I'm smart enough to know better.

And if any of the passengers that have died were from that particular muster station, and it appears that they just didn't know any better than to follow the irresponsible and blatantly incorrect advice (request, order) to return to their darkened cabins below decks in a General Muster (emergency), with no followup order from someone in charge for them to return to their Muster Stations and abandon ship then yes, some type of criminal charges should be filed against that crew member.

And don't tell me that 'it was announced abandon ship', and that 'the alarm sounded seven times and everyone should have known what it was and were to go'. Then explain to me why some many that died where found at or near there interior Muster Stations with their life jackets on. Were they just abandoned while the entire crew was at their General Muster station on deck?

Explain to me why one single person died below decks (or at their interior Muster Station) in a ship that took hours to capsize, in calm weather, that close to shore, with all but three of it's lifeboats launched.

It's apparent that someone screwed up, and BIG. And that video (evidence) of a crew member telling people to go back to their cabins, is a HUGE screw up.

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
timb
First Class Passenger
Member # 5901

posted 02-23-2012 10:58 AM      Profile for timb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To even consider any type of chargers you would need to prove those passengers that died are the ones that were instructed to go back to their cabins. Fortunately the fatalities were few but it's a very large leap and assumption to imagine those that died were following crews orders. We already know that some of the dead were found at their muster station
Posts: 437 | From: S FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-23-2012 11:03 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How did the captain not know how serious the damage was within several minutes of the accident? Would there not have been crew members in the general area that was flooding with water? If the engine room(s) were flooding would that not be a good indication of the extent of the damage and what action in regards to mustering passengers needed to take place as soon as possible. My grandparents were on a cruise on CPs ss Princess Kathleen when their ship was rammed by ss Prince Rupert off the western Canadian coast in 1951. According to my grandmother, all passengers were immediately mustered and stayed on the boat deck w/the boats swung out until the damage could be evaluated. The ship was sinking approx. 1 foot per hour and was able to reach port safely.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-23-2012 12:56 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
[...]
It's apparent that someone screwed up, and BIG. And that video (evidence) of a crew member telling people to go back to their cabins, is a HUGE screw up.

I guess it is pretty much clear that someone screwed up badly - we talk about the sinking of a modern, intact ship in good weather conditions.

However, this is a rather complicated situation - many things went wrong and all these events (the reason for the collision, the evacuation etc.) have to be seen independently.

I heard an interview with a crew member who said that the 'secret code' for the crew to prepare for muster/evacuation has been give out immediately - at the same time while the announcements about the 'electrical problem' were made (allegedly to avoid panic). Mind you, I can not verify this statement.

Of course, this is not an excuse for not giving out the (official) signal for mustering the passengers earlier. Giving the reports on how late the mustering and the evacuation started something definitely went wrong here. Part of that could have been that some crew members were under the impression that passengers should not yet go to their muster stations but stay where they are - and mind you, the ship was not entirely dark (one can see that in many videos posted). This could be part of the evacuation procedure ('wait for the order to guide passengers to muster station') another reason for that could have been a direct order or simply the inability of some crew members to deal with the situation (something like: 'I don't know what to do, so I tell them to go to the cabins like we tell them before the drill').

I would also question whether it is appropriate to 'hinder' passengers from proceeding to a muster station or to advice them not to do so. However, I would be careful with such severe accusations - they simply might not have know better (which of course does not necessarily entirely absolve these crew members since they do indeed have responsibilities).

quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:
How did the captain not know how serious the damage was within several minutes of the accident? [...]

This is not implausible. In the video from the bridge that has been published on could hear someone saying that only two compartments are affected. It might indeed take some time to assess the full extent of such a damage.

Beside that, the captain and the officers might have been under the impression that there is a good chance to ground her in a way that she is not sinking (whether that was a good decision is of course again another story). While all that might be a reason to decide against an immediate evacuation it is of course not an explanation why the passengers were not asked to muster.

[ 02-23-2012: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 02-24-2012 07:53 AM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
The person (ships officer?) issuing the request (order?) for passengers to return to their cabins should at least be identified by the cruise line and find out where she got her orders from, the orders to tell life jacketed passengers to go back to their cabins.
So until you've found the answers to all these questions, how could you possibly say that this person should be charged with a criminal offence?

Until these facts are known, you haven't got the faintest idea where any responsibility lies for any bad decisions, let alone whether that responsibility amounts to the commission of a serious criminal offence.

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-24-2012 09:07 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At some point common sense should have taken over that staff member. Sending passengers back to their cabins under those circumstances should have made absolutely no sense at all, and I really don't buy any "I was just following orders" excuse on this occasion. If for some odd reason she was trying to clear the decks, she should have at least had the intelligence and refused to send passengers back below decks, and instead have them muster in the ships main showroom. Even sending passengers back to the atrium makes more sense than to possibly have thousands of passengers all heading back inside a sinking ship down to their cabins. Her instructions were idiotic at best, criminal at worst.
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-24-2012 10:10 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am unsure from the clip of this lady as to how far into the scenario it took place. The voiceover states that she does also say "that if you want to stand here, that's fine, but I kindly ask you to go back your rooms where you will be seated....".. maybe different translations use different wording. The news clips are only going to show the world the worst; for all we know 2 seconds later she might have been telling people to get into the lifeboats, or she may have been demanding they leave the deck area - we just don't know what really went on at the time. You don't get people into a panic before you need to.

This whole incident could just have easily have been Monarch of the Seas a few years back. More or less the same situation, just she was able to make a sandbar to rest on so didn't capsize and it took several hours to evacuate her with shore based vessels once 'stuck in the mud'. The pax were called to muster straight away, but they did not evacuate then. If Concordia had found a similar sandbar it perhaps could have been the same. Wonder what happened to her Captain and bridge officers?

Pam

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.