- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line said today that while rescue and remediation efforts continue in Baltimore Harbor following the collapse of the Key Bridge, it will temporarily move Carnival Legend’s Baltimore operations to Norfolk, Virginia. Carnival Legend is scheduled to return from its current voyage on Sunday, March 31. It will now return to Norfolk on Sunday, and guests will...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc today announced it has signed an agreement with Meyer Werft shipyard for a fifth Excel-class cruise ship for its namesake Carnival Cruise Line brand, with the delivery set for 2028. In mid-February Carnival Corporation had announced the first newbuild order placed in five years with news that a fourth Excel-class ship would join the Carnival Cruise Line...

Latest News...Four Seasons, together with luxury yachting company Marc-Henry Cruise Holdings Ltd, Joint Owner/Operator, Four Seasons Yachts, and venerated Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri, continues to chart a new course of luxury at sea. As momentum builds towards the inaugural season of Four Seasons Yachts, the first 10 unique voyages are unveiled, each inviting travellers to make the iconic islands...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Costa Concordia Listing ! (Page 13)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Author Topic: Costa Concordia Listing !
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-02-2012 11:01 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This website has some amazing time lapse footage by compiling web cam images from the Giglio harbor cam. Click on the Feb. 1st date and watch the white caps and the amidships magrodome separate.

http://www.kielmonitor.de/kino.php?cam=concordia

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 02-02-2012 12:19 PM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
Don't know if this was already posted, a documentary (in four parts) with some incredible footage I had not seen before. well worth watching.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4ncbuHnua6c

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5RSZEXCnrYE

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y5B8h0dTCXw

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwJ7Ph10vrQ

[ 02-02-2012: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

That's a Channel 4 programme, which may be blocked outside the UK.

I watched the programme the other night. It was gripping. It consisted mainly of interviews with British survivors (passengers and crew members), and passenger-shot video footage. It was very, very dramatic, all the more so because the interviews and the voice-over commentary were kept very quiet and calm. For example, a woman passenger explaining how she eventually got off the ship from the port side hull, by crawling/sliding towards a rope ladder, then scrambling down it across the hull side and bottom, and then into a waiting small boat at the bottom - and all spoken very calmly. While she was speaking, the screen was showing that grainy night-camera footage of the line of people doing exactly what she was describing. Riveting.

It didn't analyse the causee of the accident, it was just an account of the events.

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-02-2012 12:34 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Channel 4 programme can be watched here by those in the UK; it was good. The Youtube clips seem to have gone.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
P&OOfficer
First Class Passenger
Member # 5124

posted 02-02-2012 03:31 PM      Profile for P&OOfficer        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I personally thought that the C4 programme was pretty poor.

I thought it was hasty and too sensationalist offering little more than the speculation from many news programmes. I'd like to have seen more of the blonde woman who was airlifted from the forward superstructure. But since she wasnt saying things like "I jumped in the water and was waiting to die" it seemed like the makers weren't as interested.

Posts: 122 | From: SE England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 02-02-2012 06:57 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just finished the watch the YouTube clips, very gripping indeed.
Posts: 687 | From: Olney, IL, Move to FL 02/2015, Sailed SS NORWAY 3 xs. /May '99 Orig. Reg. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-03-2012 01:15 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

jetwet1
First Class Passenger
Member # 6361

posted 02-03-2012 03:18 AM      Profile for jetwet1   Author's Homepage   Email jetwet1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Firstly, a big thank you to everyone for the get well soon wishes, my neck is feeling 100% better, sadly, the doctor applied an ointment that was supposed to help in some way, sadly it turned out I am allergic to something in it and I now have massive blisters on my neck and shoulder.....I am really not liking 2012 right now....

Anyways, back on topic, has anyone heard if Costa is trying to get any of the paintings etc off the ship ? or are they just going to include everything in the insurance claim ?

Posts: 608 | From: Las VEgas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 02-03-2012 08:09 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're welcome Jetwet1. Now that's a real downer on the ointment...pooh on that one.
BTW, I noticed the aft part of the midship magradome has fallen into the sea. Thank you for getting those photos of the stern skylight and the midship magradome.

Posts: 687 | From: Olney, IL, Move to FL 02/2015, Sailed SS NORWAY 3 xs. /May '99 Orig. Reg. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-03-2012 08:36 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DAMBROSI2:
BTW, I noticed the aft part of the midship magradome has fallen into the sea.

It appears to have fallen off this morning. You can watch the time-lapse of today's images from the above linked site and around the 50-52 second mark it drops, then disappears.

I can't image the toll that the sea water and rocky bottom will have on the interiors of the ship and the submerged portion if it sits there another few months before they attempt to raise it.

[ 02-03-2012: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-03-2012 09:08 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One of the videos shows the crew member at the lifeboat station telling passengers to go back to their cabins.

What kind of pot is she smoking?

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 02-03-2012 10:18 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If she was smoking pot, she wouldn't be so coherent.
I've been watching the link for the video, really neat to watch.
I just wished we had a better close up of the vessel. I can imagine what the damage all of this ship is going through. Plus, I've been reading that divers wanting to get treasures can't wait to get inside. If they do, which I doubt right now; they will end up with a lot of stuff that will go to very high bidders. On Ebay, I've noticed models of the ship are going to sky high bidding.

Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 02-03-2012 11:45 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Vultures may be gathering!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46244456/ns/travel-news/#.TyvPRZgR8eU

Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-03-2012 12:35 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
As long as there are bodies in there, it's considered off base to everybody because it's a grave," said Robert Marx, a veteran diver and the author of numerous books on maritime history and underwater archaeology and treasure hunting. "But when all the bodies are out, there will be a mad dash for the valuables."

The ship in not only private property, but a grave for the 30 that perished, and a source of PTSD for the 4170 survivors. HANDS OFF

Any money from the salvage should go to the victims and to pay the spillover costs.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 02-03-2012 04:51 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yep HANDS OFF!!!!!!
jetwet1
First Class Passenger
Member # 6361

posted 02-03-2012 05:04 PM      Profile for jetwet1   Author's Homepage   Email jetwet1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would imagine that with all the known valuables (company owned) Costa will set up a security system.
Posts: 608 | From: Las VEgas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 02-03-2012 07:40 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's hope it's in place, I had seen a very small vessel coming up to it tonight and it's been hanging around the hull.
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 02-05-2012 01:25 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Question, what is the area that's opened just below the funnel on CONCORDIA? Is this something that fell off too? And does it look like she's in a different position to you?
steeplechase
First Class Passenger
Member # 4056

posted 02-05-2012 02:24 AM      Profile for steeplechase   Author's Homepage   Email steeplechase   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Being on vacation I have missed most of the coverage about this accident. You would think there would be noway to repair a ship on it's side in the water this long? I believe I asked the question a while ago which "new" build would be the frst to go maybe it.s her??
Posts: 663 | From: elkton maryland | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-05-2012 06:51 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DAMBROSI2:
Question, what is the area that's opened just below the funnel on CONCORDIA? Is this something that fell off too?

Are you speaking of the open area seen here just forward of the funnel?

It appears to be an area of the ship called Lido Squok and looks like it is a kids pool just off of the Squok Club. It was open to the sky with no dome and had a railing around it on the deck above it.

Here's a picture I found of the same area on Costa Serena...

DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 02-05-2012 08:25 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, that's the one...thank you so much DMW. I didn't know what that area was. Thank you for the interior photo from the SERENA, it makes perfect sense what that area is.
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 02-11-2012 04:06 AM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In case you've been away the past few days. The Costa Concordia was hit by another severe storm yesterday and received a blanket of snow last night. I was trying to find information on if she received any damage in the storm but instead found out that their is now footage from on the bridge available. Supposedly it was taken by the captain's mistress Domnica Cemortan and the investigators never saw it before the news aired it. This really has me wondering how a key witness that was already interviewed could have been holding onto a video for this long. Here is an article on it: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ what-really-happened-on-the-bridge-when-the-costa-concordia-crashed-6719996.html
and I dug deeper and found the video from the news website. It's in Italian though so I have no idea what they say:
http://www.video.mediaset.it/video/tg5/servizio/283330/naufragio-diretta -caos-lance-a-mare-vabbuo.html

Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-11-2012 10:18 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DEIx15x8:
[....]
and I dug deeper and found the video from the news website. It's in Italian though so I have no idea what they say:
http://www.video.mediaset.it/video/tg5/servizio/283330/naufragio-diretta -caos-lance-a-mare-vabbuo.html

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, my Italian is also not sufficient to understand enough - however, I do get the impression that at least in the beginning the bridge officers were under the impression that only two compartments were affected.

Maybe someone "here" can help us with a translation? Many thanks in advance.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Namlit
First Class Passenger
Member # 1940

posted 02-11-2012 01:59 PM      Profile for Namlit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A Gripping video!!! Thank you for sharing.
You can feel the tension building on the bridge, as the situation deteriorates. I only wish I could understand Italian. I'm sure there will be a copy with English translation or subtitles soon.
Fascinating.

Posts: 309 | From: Greene County, Indiana, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 02-11-2012 08:29 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looking at the cam this morning, it appears that more of her stern is pointing out to the sea and the bow more toward land...your thoughts.
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 02-12-2012 03:18 AM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TG5 promissed to show more of the video today and here it is: http://www.video.mediaset.it/video/tg5/servizio/283543/scialuppe-bloccate- video-caos-salvataggi.html
This video shows a lot of the evacuation including multiple lifeboat launches and a surprisingly high level and joking around and laughing.

Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.