- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Costa Concordia Listing ! (Page 12)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Author Topic: Costa Concordia Listing !
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 01-30-2012 08:10 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OUCH, I'm sorry you had to endure that. Pain isn't good at all. (((((((((((HUGS)))))))) to you, hope you'll be out of that neck brace soon.

Back to CONCORDIA, I think they could end up taking the first two or three decks; two for sure and that might help them to right the ship for towing. But for her to be there that long, I have a feeling she could very well be scrapped. It looks like they're not doing anything today either, it appears to be too choppy out there.

Posts: 687 | From: Olney, IL, Move to FL 02/2015, Sailed SS NORWAY 3 xs. /May '99 Orig. Reg. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 01-30-2012 08:19 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What baffles me is that the impact was at 9:40, and people started to evacuate the ship at 11pm. What happened to getting everyone off the ship in a half hour?

If they started the muster and evacuation at 9:50, everyone would have got off the ship.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 01-30-2012 12:53 PM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jetwet1:
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, I managed to mess up my neck, resulting in a couple of really boring days laying in bed with a neck brace.
Hope you're mended quickly!

Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 01-30-2012 01:27 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Desirod7:
quote:
What baffles me is that the impact was at 9:40, and people started to evacuate the ship at 11pm. What happened to getting everyone off the ship in a half hour?

I agree, they should have been off immediately and not waiting so long.

Posts: 687 | From: Olney, IL, Move to FL 02/2015, Sailed SS NORWAY 3 xs. /May '99 Orig. Reg. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 01-30-2012 02:02 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The lifeboats could not have been launched while she was still underway. The actual extent of the damage would have been determined first. She would have been further from shore and the local assistance. She would not have been able to manoeuvre. She was turned and then pushed to where she ended up by means of the wind and currents... these would have pushed her away from help if she had stopped immediately [if possible - how long does it take for such a vessel to come to a standstill?] Passengers would not have been able to swim ashore... many of those who jumped when they did would not have done so if further off shore and only a rocky outcrop to make for rather than a small harbour and beach. She would now be deep under water and not half submerged, making it more difficult for the search teams and salvage.

There are many ifs, buts, whys.. but in my own mind I am sure there would have been more losses of life had she been abandoned straight away. As it is, although sad for those lost and their families, the numbers are quite low. 17? confirmed dead, 15 still missing - don't forget there were around 4,200 passenger and crew aboard.

Pam

[ 01-30-2012: Message edited by: PamM ]

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 01-31-2012 08:34 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That makes sense Pam, thank you for clearing that up for us.
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 01-31-2012 10:25 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From another site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5mbKt7rQkQ

Looks like some wild manuvers to beach her.

Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 01-31-2012 10:40 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another Opinion:

In Defense of Captain Schettino & The Lives He Did Save
by JOHN KONRAD on JANUARY 21, 2012

http://gcaptain.com/in-defense-of-captain-schettino-the-lives-he-did-save/?37994

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 01-31-2012 11:43 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by desirod7:
Another Opinion:

In Defense of Captain Schettino & The Lives He Did Save
by JOHN KONRAD on JANUARY 21, 2012

http://gcaptain.com/in-defense-of-captain-schettino-the-lives-he-did-save/?37994[/Q UOTE]

That's a trenchant article, and it makes some good points. However, I'm not so sue about the constant mention of 'Carnival'. Yes, of course Costa is owned by Carnival, but in practice it's the local operating arm, and does things its own way. For example, the practice of picking up passengers from multiple ports is a feature of the Italian cruise market - MSC do it as well - which isn't replicated elsewhere in the Carnival empire. So I think the suggestion that Mickey Arison should have gone to Italy to take charge is wrong: given the differences of language and culture as well as operating practice, I think the decision to leave it to local Costa management was correct.

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
FL_Cruiser64
First Class Passenger
Member # 13706

posted 01-31-2012 12:40 PM      Profile for FL_Cruiser64   Email FL_Cruiser64   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I disagree. Captain 'Idiot' did not save lives. He cost lives which now after ending the search will stand above 30.

I gather that most death occurred after beaching her sideways which made Concordia tip over and trap most of the dead and the missing.

His bonehead maneuver turning around by its starboard anchor just increased the flow of water into the port side gap.

He had plenty of time to do an anchor stop. Concordia dropped its speed from 15 knots down to 4 knots within minutes and then he turned out to sea and made a moronic move turning her around the starboard anchor.

Disaster plans rely on the passengers being somewhat calm and the life boats usable. As I pointed out, lifeboats are designed to operate at some angle but not a position she is in now.

If you have 4000 people and most of the lifeboats are inoperable and no leadership is provided you have panic and panic leads to injury and death. If she would have done an anchor stop (dropping both anchors) at 4 knots the ship would have been empty in less than an hour. That's what the emergency procedures are.

To say that Captain 'Idiot' saved 4000 lives is distraction from:
Captain 'Idiot' cauysed 30 people to day and his crew and the many non-crew volunteers in the absence of leader ship saved 4000 lives.

Posts: 219 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chip
First Class Passenger
Member # 3576

posted 01-31-2012 02:16 PM      Profile for Chip   Email Chip   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Burke:

Yes, of course Costa is owned by Carnival, but in practice it's the local operating arm, and does things its own way. For example, the practice of picking up passengers from multiple ports is a feature of the Italian cruise market - MSC do it as well - which isn't replicated elsewhere in the Carnival empire. [/QB]

Tom,
Carnival Cruise Line also picks up passengers at multiple ports for the Carnival Victory. On Carnival's UK web site you can book the Carnival Victory for a Sunday departure roundtrip San Juan or a Wednesday departure roundtrip Barbados.

Posts: 19 | From: Farmington Hills, Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 01-31-2012 03:13 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FL_Cruiser64:
[...] As I pointed out, lifeboats are designed to operate at some angle but not a position she is in now.

If you have 4000 people and most of the lifeboats are inoperable [....]

While it is indeed not clear at all whether 'beaching' the ship helped or made it worse it is an undeniable fact that even under these circumstances most lifeboats could be deployed and were indeed used during the evacuation.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 01-31-2012 04:16 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The ship is unlikely to return to use and insurers will probably “declare a total loss,” Pier Luigi Foschi, chairman of Costa Crociere

DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 01-31-2012 04:24 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I figured that was going to happen. And today, they called off anymore searches inside the ship. She must not be in too a position to keep searching inside.
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 01-31-2012 05:05 PM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chip:

Tom,
Carnival Cruise Line also picks up passengers at multiple ports for the Carnival Victory. On Carnival's UK web site you can book the Carnival Victory for a Sunday departure roundtrip San Juan or a Wednesday departure roundtrip Barbados.

Thank you for the information - I wasn't aware of that.

Does anyone know how they work the muster drill on Carnival Victory during these cruises?

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 02-01-2012 07:26 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't have know the answer to your question, but I'm sure they've made changes since CONCORDIA, they were supposed to have been working on 'fleetwide' changes.
If you zoom in on CONCORDIA now, they're having bad weather there. Waves appear to be about 5-10 feet. I'm also noticing that the megadrome is opening and closing; part of the megadrome now appears to be drooping.

Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 02-01-2012 10:12 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Where is the site that you can view these happenings?
Looking at the course the ship took(my previous post)it it's evident that the captain wanted to beach the ship. Then off load the passengers with help from the shore.
Getting the ship up on it's side like that prevented sinking totally. That said the bridge crew did a great job.
Granted 30 lives appear to be lost out of 4000. We may never know out of the 30 if some were lost on impact or after the severe list happened.
Maybe the captain thought he could do more good leaving the ship?????????. Questionable conduct!!!
He was probably in shock after seeing the situation.
We await the board of inquiry and the answers.
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 02-01-2012 12:41 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is the website, it's evening time now:
Giglio Webcam

Chip
First Class Passenger
Member # 3576

posted 02-01-2012 02:01 PM      Profile for Chip   Email Chip   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The last time I sailed out of San Juan was in April of 2008 on the Carnival Destiny. The itinerary for the cruise was very similar to the itinerary that the Carnival Victory does. There was a muster drill at 9:30 P.M. and we sailed from San Juan at 10:00 P.M. I did keep my Carnival Capers from that cruise. The muster drill for San Juan was listed in the Carnival Capers. There is no mention of a muster drill in the Carnival Capers for Wednesday in Barbados. I don't recall hearing any announcements for a muster drill for anyone who had boarded in Barbados.
Posts: 19 | From: Farmington Hills, Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-01-2012 04:26 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty 4:
[...]
Getting the ship up on it's side like that prevented sinking totally. That said the bridge crew did a great job.[....]

At this time that's not clear at all. Letting her sink on even keel in deeper water a bit further away from the shore (which would not have made much of a difference for the evacuation) could have been the better option. Of course, even after such an incident it might not be easy to determine that - what finally counts is whether the crew on the bridge could have know that (maybe not). The investigation will hopefully find an answer to that but for now it's not clear at all.

quote:
[...]
Granted 30 lives appear to be lost out of 4000. We may never know out of the 30 if some were lost on impact or after the severe list happened.

My guess is that this won't be too difficult to determine.

quote:
[...]
He was probably in shock after seeing the situation.
We await the board of inquiry and the answers.
Frosty 4

This could be an explanation for many of the rumors that make the round right now. However, let's not forget that this is not only about the captain - there were many officers aboard and personally I am very interested to learn more about their role in this incident. There is no doubt that a lot went wrong and some of the facts reported are simply shocking. However, at the end of the day a lot of the passengers were evacuated and saved in all that chaos. While the focus is definitely on those who screwed up badly there must have been quite a few people who did the right thing.

DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 02-02-2012 01:28 AM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DAMBROSI2:
I don't have know the answer to your question, but I'm sure they've made changes since CONCORDIA, they were supposed to have been working on 'fleetwide' changes.
If you zoom in on CONCORDIA now, they're having bad weather there. Waves appear to be about 5-10 feet. I'm also noticing that the megadrome is opening and closing; part of the megadrome now appears to be drooping.

I looked through my daily grabs and the retractable roof did start to droop. Today as the sun rose you can see that it is now open. The two center panels have been slid open on the lower side. Not sure if they started failing from resting improperly for so long or if the salvage/rescue teams opened it up.

Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-02-2012 03:19 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 02-02-2012 04:17 AM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:

wow, that's a nice shot, thank's for posting.

Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 02-02-2012 08:52 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I watched it yesterday, no one from the Italian Coast Guard or Smit touched the magradome; the waves were very heavy yesterday and they'll be picking up again in another day, winds are supposed to be about 15 mph, higher waves to come.
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-02-2012 10:33 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't know if this was already posted, a documentary (in four parts) with some incredible footage I had not seen before. well worth watching.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4ncbuHnua6c

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5RSZEXCnrYE

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y5B8h0dTCXw

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwJ7Ph10vrQ

[ 02-02-2012: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.