- Ernst's Site
   - Patsy's Site
   - Ben's Site
   - Carlos' Site
   - Chris' Site
   - SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line announced this week that is cancelling calls to Roatan this week after a crew member from Norwegian Pearl was killed last Sunday night, April 6, 2014 while ashore in Roatan. According to local police reports, the crew member was killed...

Latest News...Adam Goldstein has been named president and chief operating officer of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE, OSLO: RCL), the company announced today. Goldstein, a 25-year company veteran, had spent the previous 12 years as president and CEO of the company's largest cruise line...

Latest News...When Britain's biggest cruise ship launches next March it will showcase some of the finest artisan food and drink producers from the UK in a celebration of great British products. Britannia, the largest ship to be built exclusively for British passengers, will...

More Cruise News...

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Costa Concordia Listing ! (Page 11)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Author Topic: Costa Concordia Listing !
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 01-24-2012 04:13 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DEIx15x8:
That's only generous though until you realize that they only had 2 hours to buy drinks and anything physical that a person bought in that short time was left onboard anyway..

Most people were on the last night of their cruise having boarded in Savona. It was only a small number who had boarded that day in Civitavecchia - I don't think I have seen the actual numbers stated anywhere?

I originally read this package re the full refund and 30% off a future cruise as being for those who were booked on her future cruises [which of course won't take place] who wished to cancel and not swap to another vessel. Now it seems to have changed overnight with the addition of the onboard account etc for those who were aboard at the time... they deserve considerably more.. all refund of everything they spent and whatever their costs were for the trip, including Moggie in the cattery plus a cash payment. Who the heck will want a time limited future cruise voucher if you were aboard at the time of a sinking ship?

Pam

Posts: 11929 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 01-24-2012 06:41 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:

Most people were on the last night of their cruise having boarded in Savona. It was only a small number who had boarded that day in Civitavecchia - I don't think I have seen the actual numbers stated anywhere?
Pam

I've read it was just under 700 passengers (out of 3000 in total?) who embarked at Civitavecchia. In addition to Savona, other passengers could have embarked at Barcelona. But I think Savona is the principal embarkation / disembarkation port for Costa's W Med cruises, just as Genoa is for MSC.

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 01-24-2012 08:01 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It looks on the webcam as though the ship is being pumped of the petrol now.
Posts: 660 | From: Olney, IL, Move to FL 02/2015, Sailed SS NORWAY 3 xs. /May '99 Orig. Reg. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
GregD
First Class Passenger
Member # 4176

posted 01-24-2012 11:08 AM      Profile for GregD   Author's Homepage   Email GregD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DAMBROSI2:
It looks on the webcam as though the ship is being pumped of the petrol now.

I think its just preparations. The pumping is said to start this weekend.

Salvage crews expect to begin pumping thousands of tonnes of fuel from the wrecked Costa Concordia by Saturday, officials said

Posts: 548 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 01-24-2012 11:27 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're right Greg, thank you..I jumped the gun too soon thinking they were starting today.
Posts: 660 | From: Olney, IL, Move to FL 02/2015, Sailed SS NORWAY 3 xs. /May '99 Orig. Reg. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 01-24-2012 12:17 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
3. Reading this I am not sure how it could be tampered with?[/QB]

However on reading various other bits around the net it appears the data has to physically saved to retain it.. read here and here. I have also read in another forum that one of the bridge officers needs to actually save the data. There must be someone here who has experience of actually using this type of VDR who knows for sure?

Pam

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 01-24-2012 12:24 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Burke:
I've read it was just under 700 passengers (out of 3000 in total?) who embarked at Civitavecchia

Thanks Tom, so not a small number by any means, but not the main bunch. My personal feelings are that even if a muster had been held it would have not made any difference. How many people on the first evening would have orientated themselves sufficiently with a vessel that size to know how to reach their muster station from wherever they happened to be? I bet most could not even find their way back to their cabin.

Pam

desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 01-24-2012 12:29 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Costa Cruise ship captain Francesco Schettino began his new job as a bus driver yesterday.

[ 01-24-2012: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

Posts: 5678 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 01-24-2012 12:41 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LMAO David!
Posts: 7653 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
jetwet1
First Class Passenger
Member # 6361

posted 01-24-2012 01:42 PM      Profile for jetwet1   Author's Homepage   Email jetwet1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Saw that on Facebook this morning, even though it is in bad taste, I had to laugh.
Posts: 593 | From: Las VEgas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
jetwet1
First Class Passenger
Member # 6361

posted 01-24-2012 01:45 PM      Profile for jetwet1   Author's Homepage   Email jetwet1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In regards to the compensation.

Cruise lines are great when everything goes right, but when something goes wrong they go into the "head in sand routine", I have seen it and had it happen to me.

It would be nice if just for once a line could stand up and try and do something proactive.

I mean, there must be someone at head office who looks at that press release and says "we are going to look like idiots".

DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 01-24-2012 02:38 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That joke is in bad taste.
Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 01-24-2012 04:14 PM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Video footage of the flooded restaurant with the bottles of wine floating around...

the modern media ways make some things much more easier to see and record...

VRT video clip flooded restaurant C.Concordia

J

Posts: 1890 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 01-24-2012 07:31 PM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I originally read this package re the full refund and 30% off a future cruise as being for those who were booked on her future cruises [which of course won't take place] who wished to cancel and not swap to another vessel. Now it seems to have changed overnight with the addition of the onboard account etc for those who were aboard at the time... they deserve considerably more.. all refund of everything they spent and whatever their costs were for the trip, including Moggie in the cattery plus a cash payment. Who the heck will want a time limited future cruise voucher if you were aboard at the time of a sinking ship?

Pam

I read the compensation offer too and it is a complete insult to them.

Carnival corp should be funding out of their own savings and profits an entire refund of ALL belongings lost in the cabins including lose cash (that insurance wont cover), jewelery, clothing, electronic equipment etc. Carnival corp should also set up and fund ongoing medical costs for trauma/stress related issues caused or aggravated by the sinking of their ship.

I hate to say it but Carnival corp looks like an evil greedy money hungy empire here wanting to screw over the survivors of this disaster. From what I hear other cruise lines are more generous. Apparantly the passengers on Aurora's maiden voyage that broke down all got a refund and free cruise out of it?? according to rumours.

Disasters like this make or break the reputation of a cruise line and if Carnival is not carefull then people will judge them on how they treated the survovors of this disaster that they did not cause or ask for.

Posts: 1055 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 01-24-2012 07:47 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
However it does appear that the reported 'offers' are not true and the full refund was to do with people wanting to cancel their forthcoming booked cruises, on any Costa vessel, if they now wished not to sail. Nothing to do with those aboard during the accident.

There are just so many rumours and stories the only thing I can now believe is that Costa Concordia is indeed lying on her side.

Pam

P&OOfficer
First Class Passenger
Member # 5124

posted 01-24-2012 08:56 PM      Profile for P&OOfficer        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting to see Costa's response to all that is being claimed by the pax and the media.

Tuesday, January 24th 2012

Time 3.00 pm (CET)

With reference to news reports on discounts and promotional offers, Costa Cruises asserts that the company has never offered any discount on future cruises to guests who were on board the Costa Concordia for the cruise of Jan. 13, 2012, and involved in the accident. The information published by a newspaper and reported in various news outlets is unfounded, as is confirmed by the English passenger who was quoted by the newspaper.
Costa Cruises reiterates that after the tragic accident the company’s priority has always been to provide the maximum possible assistance and solace to the people involved. From the outset the company has been fully aware of and saddened by the suffering and hardship endured by guests and crewmembers and has acted with this firmly borne in mind.

On a joint basis with rescue teams, the Company worked to provide evacuated passengers and crewmembers with all the necessary assistance to ensure they were able to return home. Subsequently, it contacted guests by telephone after they had returned home to check on their physical and emotional wellbeing, and to confirm that they will receive a refund for the cruise and all material expenses related to it.
As previously announced, the company welcomes discussion with its guests and all consumer-protection associations to determine indemnity for the hardship endured, with the support of tourism-sector trade associations with which it has been in contact for days.
Driven by its sense of ethics and the values of fairness and responsibility that guide it, the Company also has given all customers with bookings for future Costa cruises the opportunity, if they feel hesitant to cruise, to cancel their cruise booking by no later than Feb.7, 2012. All travel agents who work with the Company were informed of this days ago.

Costa Cruises would also like to clarify that starting on the day after the accident, all advertising initiatives planned were cancelled out of respect for those affected by this tragedy. The Company was unable to stop only one postal promotion, which had already been sent to some customers at the end of December.

Costa Cruises is incredulous at the disgraceful and unfounded assertions made about the Company without any form of verification.

Full Costa Statement

Posts: 102 | From: SE England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
jetwet1
First Class Passenger
Member # 6361

posted 01-25-2012 03:43 AM      Profile for jetwet1   Author's Homepage   Email jetwet1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just to be clear, the post I made was a direct copy from Costa's own facebook page.

Now I am going to say this again...

They feel it is ok to post what I posted earlier, but they don't have the brains to post what P&Oofficer just posted, which does paint the company in a far better light......

Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 01-25-2012 04:46 AM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jetwet1:
Just to be clear, the post I made was a direct copy from Costa's own facebook page.
To be fair, didn't your earlier post also contain your interpretation of what Costa said (as italicised here)?
quote:
Originally posted by jetwet1:
Costa has just announced their compensation package for those on this cruise.

Costa will refund the entire cost of the cruise, as well as all travel expenses incurred in reaching the embarkation port and returning home after the evacuation. The line will also reimburse any medical expenses incurred due to the accident.

The line will also refund all onboard expenses, with credit card charges being credited back to customer accounts and cash deposits refunded as well.

Costa will also make every effort to return belongings left in in-cabin safes. The line will keep passengers informed about the return of any personal belongings salvaged, as well as other forms of compensation that may be forthcoming.

That's it..... Nope, don't think we will see any lawsuits after that amazingly generous package

I see nothing wrong in what Costa said there, particularly as Costa said nothing about this being the entire package that was on offer, so it cannot be criticised for that. Costa simply dealt with three specific topics which would immediately come to mind for anyone affected. All of them were dealt with in a positive way, for which Costa could not be criticised.

Sometimes, people who are have for reasons of their own already formed an adverse opinion of an entire company read things into what the company says which are simply not there, and never were - and then proceed to criticise the company for the things that the company never said. Some may call that "prejudice".

However, I concede that that's better than simply fabricating adverse stories against the company, which is what some sections of the press seem to have been doing. No doubt, some advocates of "free speech" will nevertheless think that that's acceptable press behaviour.

Posts: 1828 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 01-25-2012 06:08 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There was a very interesting chat on Radio 2 [Vine] yesterday with a dancer from Bournemouth who had done her duties [by all accounts well] and was air lifted off at the end. It can probably be listened to again on the website by those in the UK. She told the truth and where she didn't know/hadn't seen something said so. This is more of what should be reported, not the artistic license the press have taken and are painting and planting in the public's mind over some aspects.

Pam

Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 01-25-2012 07:46 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
There was a very interesting chat on Radio 2 [Vine] yesterday with a dancer from Bournemouth who had done her duties [by all accounts well] and was air lifted off at the end. It can probably be listened to again on the website by those in the UK. She told the truth and where she didn't know/hadn't seen something said so. This is more of what should be reported, not the artistic license the press have taken and are painting and planting in the public's mind over some aspects.

Pam

Pam, thanks for the reference - I've just listed to it on iPlayer. (For those interested in listening/able to do so, it starts at about 1h42m into the programme.) She was an impressive witness.

I've been struck by one thing in particular: the discrepancy between the stories of confusion in the evacuation, and the fact that over 4000 people survived - abut 99% of those on board. (Is this in fact the most successful evacuation ever?). This dancer was strongly of the opinion that the key to the success was the fact that they were so close to land: she suggests that had they been out at sea the survival count much be much lower. For example, she mentions that she saw lifeboats making trips from the island to the area around the ship and picking up people from the water.

And I was pleased to hear her say that she had no reservation about going back to sea, with Costa, for her next contract.

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 01-25-2012 06:14 PM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Its a tricky situation isnt it. The ship was only close to land because of the Captains negligence and running the ship aground, yet had it been far out at sea it never would have sunk.
Posts: 1055 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 01-26-2012 02:04 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DAMBROSI2:
Great shots from AP. Those chairs look like they might be from a buffet area??

Or from the looks of them, the main dining room. The aft dining room windows may have been broken to allow access and hundreds of chairs needed to be removed.

Posts: 7653 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 01-26-2012 02:47 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder why her fin stabilizers were out?
Posts: 1910 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 01-29-2012 07:19 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not quite sure why myself Barry. Unless he was trying to see if it could help stabilize the ship before he beached her. Work is suspended on searching the ship due to bad weather and strong currents. Since she's been laying on her side like this since the 13th; does it appear as if the stern is more shifted away from land or is it me?
jetwet1
First Class Passenger
Member # 6361

posted 01-30-2012 03:48 AM      Profile for jetwet1   Author's Homepage   Email jetwet1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Globaliser:
I see nothing wrong in what Costa said there, particularly as Costa said nothing about this being the entire package that was on offer, so it cannot be criticised for that. Costa simply dealt with three specific topics which would immediately come to mind for anyone affected. All of them were dealt with in a positive way, for which Costa could not be criticised.

Sometimes, people who are have for reasons of their own already formed an adverse opinion of an entire company read things into what the company says which are simply not there, and never were - and then proceed to criticise the company for the things that the company never said. Some may call that "prejudice".

However, I concede that that's better than simply fabricating adverse stories against the company, which is what some sections of the press seem to have been doing. No doubt, some advocates of "free speech" will nevertheless think that that's acceptable press behaviour.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, I managed to mess up my neck, resulting in a couple of really boring days laying in bed with a neck brace.

Anyways, what I was trying to point out was, the first part I posted was a direct copy and paste from Costa, not some form of edited piece from myself.

As I have stated before on here, the way the PR has been handled for this whole situation is amazing to me. Even after their latest offer they really have done very little to try to show what the company is doing behind the scenes.

Moving on for a second, it is being reported that the wreck could stay in place for over a year before an attempt is made at re-floating the ship.

At that point, would taking the ship down to bare metal even be a viable option ? or is she headed for the scrap yard, I guess only time will tell.

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2006 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.