- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Costa Concordia Listing ! (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Author Topic: Costa Concordia Listing !
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 01-13-2012 07:26 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Reports have appeared on Sky news tonight that Costa Concordia has problems

The ship ground to a stop tonight while the passengers were having dinner and is reported to have developed a list

Sky news is reporting that passengers have had to board the lifeboats !

[ 01-13-2012: Message edited by: Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company. ]

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Garnett
First Class Passenger
Member # 6346

posted 01-13-2012 07:36 PM      Profile for Garnett   Email Garnett   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
More here...

http://m.skynews.com/article/worldnews/16148897

Garnett

Posts: 72 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 01-13-2012 08:05 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Article with picture

HERE

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 01-13-2012 08:42 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very scary. Apparently two people have been killed in the accident. Hopefully the state-of-the art ship will not roll over and sink!
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 01-13-2012 09:45 PM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
wow, i can't remember the last time a ship has evacuated with lifeboats. Through fires, listings, collisions it seems like all the recent incidents have been close to land or not enough of a danger to prevent waiting for a rescue ship. Hopefully this reminds people of why we still have lifeboats and lifeboat drills on these mega ships. It sounds like the ship has been evacuated completely at this time so hopefully that means that the death toll should remain at 2.

Does anyone know what this region looks like? I'm having trouble understanding how they left nearly 2 hours before the incident but in the picture they are right next to what appears to be an inlet.

Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 01-13-2012 10:17 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Carnival Corp. certainly has had it's share of serious incidents in a fairly short period of time. CARNIVAL SPLENDOR, QM2, and now COSTA CONCORDIA.

It's going to be interesting to hear first hand accounts and I'm sure there will also be a full investigation. I also wonder how they will deal with the ship itself.

It's very sad there was loss of life. I wonder if it's from people jumping overboard or perhaps crew on lower decks that became quickly flooded?

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
JohnHJ
First Class Passenger
Member # 30846

posted 01-13-2012 10:20 PM      Profile for JohnHJ   Author's Homepage   Email JohnHJ   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I did a bit of 'Googleing' and found a Twitter Photo. She appears to be listing quite a bit. Now reported as six dead.

http://twitpic.com/86yoj2

[ 01-13-2012: Message edited by: JohnHJ ]

Posts: 60 | From: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 01-13-2012 10:27 PM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What concerns me about this incident is this comment: "It was just like something out of the Titanic, You could tell straight away that the ship had hit something and no way was it an electrical fault." and the fact that people jumped overboard. The reports also seem to be that the captain reported the electrical issue and then sounded the evacuation order. These initial reports really don't sound like the ship was properly communicating with the passengers and that could have led to panic and the deaths. Sometimes knowing how bad things really are can be comforting as it gives a sense that someone has an understanding and control of what is going on. After everyone has had some time to sleep tonight I'm sure all the media will be clamoring for interviews and then we'll all know what really happened onboard.
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 01-13-2012 10:47 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes well the real question is why would the ship hit something in well charted waters and the most advanced navigational equipment available (sonars, radar, satellite, etc)?

Could it be there was a situation onboard that resulted in a loss of power and/or navigation which is why the ship possibly ran aground? I still think back to CARNIVAL SPLENDOR which did have a complete power failure and loss of navigation, but luckily they were in open ocean with no obstacles. COSTA CONCORDIA and CARNIVAL SPLENDOR are essentially the same class of ship. Could there be a correlation? Perhaps not but something to speculate upon until we receive additional information.

While I know that any ship can sink, I'm still amazed considering all the redundancies built in and that so many water tight compartments can be flooded and the ship still stay afloat (at least in theory). I don't believe that CONCORDIA has the latest SOLAS requirements of "safe return to port" incorporated into the design. I have to wonder in both the case of CARNIVAL SPLENDOR and now CONCORDIA if things would have been different had they been built to the latest standards?

Ernie

[ 01-13-2012: Message edited by: eroller ]

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 01-13-2012 11:09 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Reports are now that the ship has capsized. Attached are some images captured from the Internet. I can't confirm their authenticity.

Ernie

Starting to sink.

Sinking lower.

Really sinking deeper ... looks like stern first.

Capsized.

joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 01-13-2012 11:32 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks like this all happened fairly close to shore:

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 01-13-2012 11:32 PM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Their are some reports that some elderly and/or disabled passengers and crew helping them may have still been onboard the ship. This is truly sad news if true and sure to have a huge ripple effect across the industry. I know on the Oasis (and possible other side hanging ships) the lifeboats allow passengers to walk right in or even roll in. I wonder if they will try to do something like that for all lifeboats in the future. I've never been in a lifeboat before, anyone know how hard they are to get in and out of? I'd think someone could be lifted into it.
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 01-13-2012 11:38 PM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by joe at travelpage:
Looks like this all happened fairly close to shore:...

I did some goggling and google mapping about this. Here is what I found on the itinerary. I tweeted it out earlier if you want to see the images here: https://twitter.com/#!/myCruiseView (I'm not sure if you can hotline twitter pics or not so I don't want to chance it).
She was heading from Civitavecchia, Italy to Savona, Italy and had to pass through a gap. The gap seemed plenty wide though so I'm not sure why she was so close to land. Based on the aerial shots it looks like the land actually curves in where she is so their doesn't seem to be any reason for her to have been their. Looking at the aerial maps maybe my perspective is off but I am actually starting to believe the theory that maybe they did think their was a problem and possibly had an electrical issue that resulted in an explosion (similar to the QM2 and Splendor) that ruptured the hull. I just can't figure out why she would have been so close to land in that spot.

Edit: I was just looking at my maps and the pictures of the ship. She is facing the wrong way to have been going on her journey. I now have little doubt that their truly was an electrical issue and if she really did run a ground it was to save the ship. In the photos she is facing south but she was headed north at the time.

Edit: if anyone knows about the regulations on twitter pics let me know and i'll post my map snippets.

[ 01-13-2012: Message edited by: DEIx15x8 ]

[ 01-13-2012: Message edited by: DEIx15x8 ]

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 01-14-2012 12:27 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How very sad. At first light, I imagine the scene may resemble the 'Herald of Free Enterprise' ferry accident w/the ship on it's side-half submerged.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 01-14-2012 12:57 AM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After the accident it appears the captain attempted to drive the ship closer to shore to aid in the evacuation. Media reports are that she has a 50 foot gash. Its possible that a steering or power problem started the accident but if they did drive her towards shore after the accident that says she was still under navigation. No doubt lots of investigations will happen and lots of legal action.
Posts: 757 | From: New York | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 01-14-2012 01:05 AM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How sad. From what I am hearing now it appears she has sunk! I never thought I would see the day that a state-of-the-art cruise ship would sink. The last sinking I am aware of was the Sea Diamond by Louis Cruises. While that was tragic in my mind I felt she was a former ferry and not built up to the stringent standards of today's cruise ships. While I know ANY ship can sink this is just a tragedy. My heart goes out to all thos who are lost. After 30 cruises the next time I step foot on a ship I will have some reservation in my mind. I always have felt relatively safe onboard a cruise ship as I have grown up cruising on many - I have been very fortunate but I guess this is all very unsetteling.

I unfortunately beleive this will cause a ripple effect within the cruise industry. I beleive many here stateside with little or no cruise knowledge will be very apprehensive to book a cruise. Of course this all depends on how much media play it gets here. So sad.

[ 01-14-2012: Message edited by: nycruiser ]

Posts: 665 | From: Westchester County, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 01-14-2012 01:12 AM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MSNBC has an article up. They say that it was a 165 foot gash and then she steered towards the shallow waters of the harbor. Now that the sun is rising you can truly see on the webcam the extent of the damage. She is on her side.

via: http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440919/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto-panoramica.html

[ 01-14-2012: Message edited by: DEIx15x8 ]

Michael534
First Class Passenger
Member # 2953

posted 01-14-2012 01:16 AM      Profile for Michael534   Email Michael534   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just noticed the crowds at the bow in the first photo Ernie posted. What a nightmare for the passengers and crew.
We will have to wait until morning to get a better idea as to what occured and the media frenzie is going to be unbelievable.

Thanks again for all the updates everyone.

Michael

Posts: 483 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 01-14-2012 03:42 AM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is just so horrible! My thoughts and prayers are with all involved. Kudos to the crew and thank God there were not many more victims.

I wonder now what will happen with the ship? Judging from pictures it looks like she is leaning on some rocks.

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
HomeLines
First Class Passenger
Member # 1707

posted 01-14-2012 03:53 AM      Profile for HomeLines     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would have NEVER imagined seeing such a sight in this day and age! I'm SPEECHLESS that this has happened to a state-of-the-art ship owned by the largest cruise operator in the world. I'm STUNNED! Holy S**T!
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 01-14-2012 03:59 AM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A video that shows the current state of the ship.

http://video.repubblica.it/edizione/firenze/costa-concordia-lo-scafo-visto-da-vicino/85694/84083

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
HomeLines
First Class Passenger
Member # 1707

posted 01-14-2012 04:01 AM      Profile for HomeLines     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nycruiser:
How sad. From what I am hearing now it appears she has sunk! I never thought I would see the day that a state-of-the-art cruise ship would sink. The last sinking I am aware of was the Sea Diamond by Louis Cruises. While that was tragic in my mind I felt she was a former ferry and not built up to the stringent standards of today's cruise ships. While I know ANY ship can sink this is just a tragedy. My heart goes out to all thos who are lost. After 30 cruises the next time I step foot on a ship I will have some reservation in my mind. I always have felt relatively safe onboard a cruise ship as I have grown up cruising on many - I have been very fortunate but I guess this is all very unsetteling.

I unfortunately beleive this will cause a ripple effect within the cruise industry. I beleive many here stateside with little or no cruise knowledge will be very apprehensive to book a cruise. Of course this all depends on how much media play it gets here. So sad.

[ 01-14-2012: Message edited by: nycruiser ]

You took the words right out of my mouth, verbatim! This is an unbelievable situation here!

rd77
First Class Passenger
Member # 2117

posted 01-14-2012 04:49 AM      Profile for rd77   Email rd77   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is insane, how the hell did this happen? My thoughts go out to the people that died and their loved ones. It must have been a frightening experience for all aboard!

In a freaky twist, I woke up this morning, thinking "I wonder when a modern cruise ship will sink for the first time". Then, I looked at the news...

Posts: 1037 | From: The Hague, Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
OceanVoyager
First Class Passenger
Member # 5585

posted 01-14-2012 04:53 AM      Profile for OceanVoyager   Email OceanVoyager   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shocking image...

Rgds,
Andrew

[ 01-14-2012: Message edited by: OceanVoyager ]

Posts: 627 | From: Hythe, Southampton, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 01-14-2012 05:35 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is devastating. Condolences to the families and friends of the deceased.

Please keep that in mind when posting STUPID speculative remarks whereof I unfortunately read too many. This forum used to distinguish itself from other cruise ship related fora, let's keep it this way.

Thank you.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.