- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Back from CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM - 12/3/2011 Sailing

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Back from CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM - 12/3/2011 Sailing
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-10-2011 06:38 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM
December 3, 2011
5-Day Western Caribbean
Miami, Falmouth Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Miami

Pictures Link:
http://gallery.mac.com/ekroller#100850

I just returned from a fantastic cruise on the CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM. Overall I could not have been happier with the experience. Usually I lower my expectations for a shorter cruise, as often they don't hold up to the longer ones, but that was not necessary for this sailing. The cruise was extra special as I sailed with one of my oldest friends from Los Angeles (going on 25 years!). Jim flew out early to Miami and we enjoyed a wonderful day on South Beach. That night we were joined by two of my newer friends, Frank & Chuck. After picking them up from the airport we had dinner at Il Mulino in Ft. Lauderdale which I highly recommend. It's one of mine and my partner's favorite Italian restaurants. That night was a full house at my apartment as we only have one extra bedroom. Jim was kind enough to sleep downstairs in the living room.

Embarkation day is aways exciting and this time was no different. We somehow managed to get the four of us and all our luggage into my car. Parking at the cruise terminal was a breeze but pricey at $20. At least it's covered and secure. Embarkation was quick, the day was beautiful, and in no time we were enjoying the beautiful MILLENNIUM. I thought the ship looked great! Considering she is going on 12 years old she still looks modern, relevant, and in excellent condition. The one exception might be the Extreme Sports Bar which is looking quite dated. This area will become the specialty restaurant Qsine when the MILLENNIUM is “Solsticized” in the Spring. It's been several years since I sailed on an M-Class ship, and I forgot just how elegant and lovely these ships are. We were in a Concierge Class cabin, and we had champagne, flowers, fruit, and robes waiting for us. Everything in the cabin was in great shape and the beds were very comfortable. Soon it was sail-away time and we met our friends Frank & Chuck in their cabin to enjoy the champagne. Afterward we headed up to the aft Ocean Bar to meet up with fellow Cruise Critic members and enjoyed a festive gathering with a beautiful Miami cityscape in our wake.

We had secured late sitting for dinner and I felt our meals and service in the dining room were very good. Our table was on the upper level, and the four of us were joined by another friend Tim, and new friends Deb and Chris. The seven of us along with our festive waiter and assistant really enjoyed some memorable times at dinner. One evening Jim, Frank, Chuck and myself enjoyed a truly amazing dining experience in the Olympic Dining Room. Honestly I can say it might have been my best shipboard meal ever, or if not the very best certainly within the top five. I can't say enough about how excellent the food, service, company, and atmosphere were that evening. The specialty restaurants on the M-Class ships are really about as good as it gets at sea. It was very comparable to a dinner I enjoyed recently at Gordon Ramsay at Claridges in London, which was over six times the price! I never had breakfast (rarely up that early!) and mostly had lunch in the Ocean Cafe which had a nice selection, and the best french fries I've had on any ship. They were the thick cut steak fries if you happen to like those like I do. It should be pretty obvious by now that any diet regime was out the window! As a group we enjoyed lunch in the main dining room twice. Once was a special brunch, which consisted of a lot of food stations that offered everything from sushi to waffles and omelets. It was quite a variety of food although a little chaotic.

I only saw one evening show on this cruise and it was quite good. Most nights consisted of the gym around 5pm, getting ready for dinner, then pre-dinner drinks in the Martini Bar followed by dinner and after dinner drinks or the show. We usually capped off the evening at Cosmos. One evening was the deck party which was way too much fun (from what I remember). Some of it was caught on video just in case I forgot! The Officers were out in full force and they ended up in the pool which is something I've never seen before. I'll say in general the Officers were far more visible and friendly in comparison to other cruise lines. Having them out and about around the ship is a really nice touch.

Our ports were Falmouth Jamaica and Grand Cayman. Jim and I strolled around the developed port area of Falmouth but didn't do much else. In Grand Cayman I didn't even get off the ship. I've been there many times in the past and with six ships anchored I thought a day by the pool was the best bet.

We had a spectacular final sea day returning to Miami, with almost a flat calm, sunny skies with no clouds, a gentle breeze, and the Northern coast of Cuba off our Starboard side. It's the type of sea day found in cruise ship brochures! Back in Miami the following morning, getting off the ship was as easy as boarding. There was a little line up for Customs and Immigration but nothing overly long or time consuming.

Once again Celebrity Cruises exceeded my expectations. They have long been my favorite large ship cruise line, and I'm happy to say they continue to be after this latest sailing. As an Elite member of the Captain's Club, I honestly feel Celebrity offers more value and tangible benefits to this tier of past passenger compared to any other line. Complimentary drinks every night from 5-7pm, complimentary laundry service (one bag), complimentary wine tasting, complimentary elegant afternoon tea, two complimentary tote bags, complimentary backstage tour, Officer's party, and 90 minutes of free internet. What more could you ask for, especially on a five day cruise? On this note my only negative experience on the MILLENNIUM was with the Captain's Club Host. He handled a situation at the Elite afternoon tea very poorly, and I noted this in the guest questionnaire. In any case it was a minor blemish on an otherwise exceptional cruise.

Like all cruises, it's really the people that make all the difference. The staff and crew of MILLENNIUM were a delight (especially Dragana in the Martini Bar!), but even more so were the old and new friends I had the pleasure of sailing with! Jim, Frank, Chuck, Tim, David, Chris, Deb, Oren, Ray, Jean, Robert & Jake … thank you all for making this cruise one of the best! My apologies if I left anyone out.

All good things must come to an end, but we were not quite ready to give up so easily. We headed up to West Palm Beach the day we disembarked to enjoy a post-cruise dinner with my lovely friend M-L at Rhythm Cafe. It was wonderful seeing her beautiful new home, and dinner was superb! In a way it was a pre-cruise dinner as well, since we will all meet up on QM2 in just a few weeks time. Good times ahead!

Ernie

=========================

Some preview pics:

[ 12-10-2011: Message edited by: eroller ]

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 12-10-2011 09:26 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Greetings from Clearwater, Florida!

Great review and beautiful pictures. It's amazing we were on the same ship and your photographers eye captured the same public areas I did but you did a much better job.

I couldn't agree more, this was a superb cruise in nearly every aspect. And it was such great fun meeting you and Jim, Frank and Chuck, and the entire gang you mentioned. A wonderful group of new friends.

I'm still in the process of getting pictures downloaded and a review together to post here on Cruise Talk. I want to do it all at once instead of pieces at a time.

Enjoy the Queen Mary 2, I know all of you will.

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-11-2011 09:09 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:

Great review and beautiful pictures. It's amazing we were on the same ship and your photographers eye captured the same public areas I did but you did a much better job.

David,
From what I've seen of your pictures, they are pretty amazing! I especially love the side by side shots of OASIS and MILLENNIUM in Cozumel. You can really tell just how enormous OASIS is (in height and width). When you are onboard, it doesn't feel quite so giant ... at least not to me.

I was surprised to see there are no security sheds on the pier in Cozumel like the Oasis Class uses in St. Maarten, St Thomas, and Nassau. I thought Royal Caribbean installed these in all the ports that the Oasis Class docked at. I wonder if not having them created long lines of passengers waiting to re-board? I know in the ports that have them, there is virtually no wait to re-board the ship and it's far more fast and efficient than ships 1/2 the size.

Ernie

Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 12-11-2011 01:28 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernie, there is no problem wtih Cozumel and boarding on the Oasis and Allure. In place of having the security sheds out on the pier, they are in the port building next to the gift shops before you enter the pier area. Moves just as fast as the other ports.

Nice review and photos of the Millie.

[ 12-11-2011: Message edited by: Atlcruiser ]

Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-11-2011 02:06 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atlcruiser:
Ernie, there is no problem wtih Cozumel and boarding on the Oasis and Allure. In place of having the security sheds out on the pier, they are in the port building next to the gift shops before you enter the pier area. Moves just as fast as the other ports.

Nice review and photos of the Millie.

[ 12-11-2011: Message edited by: Atlcruiser ]

Thanks Gordon. Does this mean that MILLENNIUM pax would have gone through that security as well, or just OASIS and ALLURE pax?

On the MILLENNIUM we docked in Falmouth Jamaica. Royal Caribbean did an excellent job on the development of the pier area here. One thing that was frustrating to me was that upon return to the ship we went through a security check point in the pier terminal (bag scan and metal detector). We exited the terminal and walked a straight path to the ship's gangways. Perhaps a 30 second walk. When we entered the ship we had to go through the same security check again! It was ridiculous and there was no reason for it. I mentioned it to the security guard on the ship but he didn't really understand what I was saying, or perhaps pretended not to. Anyway it's something I wrote up in the comment card.

Ernie

Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 12-11-2011 02:37 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernie, not sure if it's just those two ships or others are involved.
Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 12-11-2011 02:42 PM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernie:

Excellent pics! So glad to hear the ship is still worth sailing...she's definitely a stunner!

Call me quirky but, whenever people go on Celebrity I'm always curious as to what flavors of palette-cleansing sorbet they are served...especially since on my last trip it was vodka-tomato.

-Russ

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-11-2011 02:53 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by linerguy:

Call me quirky but, whenever people go on Celebrity I'm always curious as to what flavors of palette-cleansing sorbet they are served...especially since on my last trip it was vodka-tomato.

-

I'm trying to remember Russ ... but I can't seem to recall. I know it was good and we all finished it!

Ernie

linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 12-11-2011 03:03 PM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"I know it was good and we all finished it!"

And that, my friend, is all that matters!

-Russ

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-13-2011 08:20 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by linerguy:
"I know it was good and we all finished it!"

And that, my friend, is all that matters!

-Russ

So very true Russ!

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 12-14-2011 12:56 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
About to head for the Brunch Buffet!

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-14-2011 07:44 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
About to head for the Brunch Buffet!

Great pic David! Thanks for sharing. Such great times on this cruise and wonderful meeting you. It was a pleasure.

Ernie

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 12-14-2011 10:10 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
Great pic David! Thanks for sharing. Such great times on this cruise and wonderful meeting you. It was a pleasure.

Ernie

A truly wonderful group of people. It really did make the cruise a great experience.

I do hope our paths cross again Ernie.

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-16-2011 09:33 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I do hope our paths cross again Ernie.

I hope so too David, and I also hope there are many more cruises in your future!

Ernie

rem-dk
First Class Passenger
Member # 5121

posted 12-16-2011 11:04 AM      Profile for rem-dk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank You for all these great photos Ernie.

Best regards
René

Posts: 268 | From: Fredensborg Denmark | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.