- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » What does a Carnival ship look like NOT designed by Joe Farcus?? (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: What does a Carnival ship look like NOT designed by Joe Farcus??
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-19-2011 01:46 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by linerguy:
Just stepped off the Elation yesterday morning; once I regain my sanity and let my blood pressure level off, I'll write a few comments and post a few photos....

-Russ

I'm sorry.....but that made me lmao.

I hope it wasn't that horrible. Just the way you wrote your post cracked me up.

Count me in on eagerly awaiting your review!

Welcome back to the land of the Sane.

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
jetwet1
First Class Passenger
Member # 6361

posted 08-19-2011 03:14 PM      Profile for jetwet1   Author's Homepage   Email jetwet1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am kind off amazed at some of these comments, I guess I am a trashy person, being Platinum on Carnival and all.

I will agree that the suites suck, however, a little research will show you that often Princess or HAL are priced lower than Carnival.

Also, I have had more problems with other passengers on HAL than on Carnival.

Anyways, back to the Breeze, mmmmm, why not just name it the Carnival Princess and be done with it, the interiors remind me a lot of the Princess grand class, lots of light oak and darker carpet.

But I like it.

Posts: 608 | From: Las VEgas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-19-2011 03:37 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jetwet1:
I am kind off amazed at some of these comments, I guess I am a trashy person, being Platinum on Carnival and all.

Do the comments really amaze you? I mean you haven't heard Carnival called "trashy" and "walmart of the seas" among others? This is nothing new. Try sailing a 4-day cruise out of Mobile on Carnival and you might discover just how trashy they can be.

I know it's not cool and all to be politically incorrect, and often times we walk around on egg shells trying not to offend anyone, but lets face it Carnival is sort of trashy. I'm not saying everyone that sails on Carnival is trashy, but it's likely you will see more trashy people on Carnival compared to other lines (plenty of wife beaters and buckets of beer by the pool). I don't consider myself above Carnival by any means, and I'm sailing on them in November, but I can admit they are a bit trashy and cheap. I'm probably very close to being Platinum on Carnival, not that it means much. Carnival doesn't seem as interested in catering to the past passenger (excuse me, guest) as much as other lines that offer a much more robust past passenger program.

I can also admit I would rather stay home than sail a 4-day Carnival cruise out of Mobile in July or August. No thank you.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-20-2011 01:00 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jetwet1:

jetwet1 - I live in West Virginia and by all accounts the sterotyped image most Americans have of the locals here is worse than the image a lot of cruisers have of a stereotyped Carnival passenger. But there are a lot of really nice and decent people that live here, just like there are on Carnival. Nothing is meant as a personal attack on you.

Carnival does have sort of a stereotyped reputation, some of it true, some of it not so much. Not every Carnival cruise is a trailer park reunion around a beer keg and long discussions about the state of NASCAR. There are lots of variables involved and a Carnival cruise from Mobile or Charleston is not the same as a Carnival cruise from Los Angeles or Vancouver.

I too am Platinum on Carnival but through the years made a personal decision that they really no longer fit into the vision of what I want on my cruise holiday. It's not to say that if I ever did book them again I wouldn't have a good time, just that there are other options out there I choose to explore.

I've read the new menus on Carnival and see absolutely nothing wrong with them. At all. Nowadays to me eating out at Applebees is a freaking treat! The food on Carnival would suit me just fine. The food on Celebrity by that measure is ultra-gourmet. And there are folks cruising Celebrity that complain about the declining quality of that too.

And no one really knows you, and just because you enjoy Carnival doesn't make you trashy, low brow, or common, just like the fact that me enjoying Celebrity doesn't make me classy, sophisticated, and upscale. I barely make above minimum wage, work in Mental Health Care, and live in a small $350 a month apartment in freaking West Virginia. Top that. I'm sure there are some folks here that if they didn't know any better would probably call me a 'Hyacinth Bucket'. Do I care. Hell no. Just like you shouldn't care about the opinions of what others think of Carnival and it's clientele. Because no one knows the truth about your Carnival experiences, your choice of vacation, and you, better than you. 

Peace out! 

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 08-20-2011 03:06 AM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The second picture down of the dinning room, particularly the curved stairs, reminds me a little of the QE2's Grand Lounge stairs.

I remember when I worked on the Song of America and we were docked or anchored near a Carnival ship, there really was a difference in the passenger's. As I waited for a tender in Grand Cayman, for example; there were two lines, one for our ship, Royal Caribbean's Song of America, then there was the Carnival line to the Holiday or whatever. There was a noticeable difference in the passenger mix clearly seen in the two lines.

I've cruised on Carnival's Jubilee back in '97, but have visited countless times many of the other ships in the fleet, and clearly, Carnival reaches a certain demographic. I think the average cost of a cruise, and the cruise line's marketing and image development determines what type of passengers will gravitate to that product...also the itinerary has a lot to do with the type of people on certain cruises. Doesn't matter if it's a mass market, upscale, luxury or whatever, you're still going to find a few "characters" in the passenger mix.

I think the crew / passenger ratio also has something to do with the passenger mix...as a high density ship like Carnival will attract a larger percentage of "challenging" people, while a very open and lower capacity ship will have fewer people like that.

I personally enjoy just being at sea, but I am becoming more appreciative of the more upscale, club environment. Even on the more luxury end, I have noticed, there are "challenging" people that don't know how to treat others or have proper manners.

I am looking forward to hosting a group event on the Carnival Splendor in September, however; I won't be cruising on the ship.

Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
jetwet1
First Class Passenger
Member # 6361

posted 08-21-2011 02:35 PM      Profile for jetwet1   Author's Homepage   Email jetwet1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hang on everyone, i'm not taking anything personally and yes I do know the rep that Carnival has.

My issue is, people on here (and other boards) are quick to judge Carnival, but when asked, they have never actually been on a Carnival cruise.

Just from my own experiences.

The food is pretty good, the steak house is very good.
The standard cabins are nice, they are certainly roomier than most other lines.
The beds and linens are some of the best afloat
The suites are, well a joke.
The crew are good, on our last cruise our cabin steward was amazing.

The passengers tend to be more "fun", not in a bad way, but more open to letting their hair down.

However, with the recent changes, IMHO Carnival is heading the wrong way.

But let's face reality here for a second, everyone has different tastes, heck look at our cruise plans for the next 12 months, Princess, Carnival and Cunard, three different experiences.

Posts: 608 | From: Las VEgas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 08-21-2011 07:14 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It has the Carnival ship look with an editing job.

For Russ just off the Elation in Mobile:

Canival Holiday out of Mobile

Does it corroborate?

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-01-2011 07:27 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, Post Farcus:

Breeze's decor has touches of new P&O, Celebrity and Epic!

Personally I think it is a great improvement, but of course it also loses all of the 'Carnival' uniqueness/brand identity.

Quite a brave move!

[ 09-01-2011: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
FL_Cruiser64
First Class Passenger
Member # 13706

posted 09-16-2011 12:04 AM      Profile for FL_Cruiser64   Email FL_Cruiser64   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oslo dutch:
Isn't this done by the same German company who does the Aida ships?

Aida ships were built first in Finland (Aker), now at Meyer Werft (one more to go) before they move to Mitsubishi.

Carnival ships are exclusively build in Italy (Fincantieri).

They did use the same design firm as most Aida ships though (Partner Ship Design in Germany).

But since the Carnival Magic and the Carnival Fantasy were designed by that company I am not sure how much influence they had on the general interior theme.

[ 09-16-2011: Message edited by: FL_Cruiser64 ]

Posts: 219 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.