- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » P&O order new Princess clone (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: P&O order new Princess clone
KenC
First Class Passenger
Member # 6341

posted 06-01-2011 05:04 AM      Profile for KenC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, it didn't take long for the new Royal Princess class to be cloned - first honours go to P&O!!!
P&O Cruises has placed an order with Fincantieri for a 141,000gt ship, scheduled to enter service in March 2015.

Seatrade Insider report

The as-yet-unnamed 3,611-passenger vessel will be the largest in the P&O Cruises fleet, as well as the largest cruise ship built specifically for the British market.

To be built at Fincantieri’s Monfalcone yard, the all-in cost is approximately €155,000 per lower berth. Ushering in an exciting era for P&O Cruises, the ship 'will offer a stylish and innovative new design and an unprecedented number of passenger facilities, along with many of the brand’s classic and iconic features,' states the operator.

Micky Arison, Carnival Corporation & plc’s chairman and ceo said, 'The UK continues to be a key growth market and innovative vessels such as this new P&O Cruises ship – targeted specifically to British clientele – underscore our commitment to leading the expansion of this important cruise region. This newly ordered ship will underline P&O Cruises’ position as Britain’s favourite cruise line.'

P&O Cruises managing director Carol Marlow said, 'This next-generation ship will deliver the ultimate P&O Cruises experience, with "sophisticated wows’" and new features to attract thousands of newcomers to our brand, and equally to resonate with existing P&O Cruises passengers by giving them the "P&O-ness" they recognise and love.'

Marlow added the shop will combine the favourite 'classic' features of Oriana and Aurora, the 'choice and variety' of Azura and Ventura, and 'a host of new ideas and concepts'.

Commenting on the announcement of the new order, Fincantieri ceo, Giuseppe Bono, said: 'This order shows that the company, even in a difficult moment as today, is resolutely continuing its commitment in a particularly depressed market in order to gain whatever orders there might be, thus holding on to its position as world leader.'

Since 1990 Fincantieri has built 59 cruise ships, including 52 for different brands in Carnival Group. This latest order will bring the P&O Cruise fleet to eight ships.

Seatrade Insider here

Posts: 353 | From: Brighton, UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
KenC
First Class Passenger
Member # 6341

posted 06-01-2011 05:10 AM      Profile for KenC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fresh from the P&O web site the first image, 2 funnels !!!! ..... what price a 20 year old Oriana leaving the fleet after 2015?????

[ 06-01-2011: Message edited by: KenC ]

Posts: 353 | From: Brighton, UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
rd77
First Class Passenger
Member # 2117

posted 06-01-2011 06:58 AM      Profile for rd77   Email rd77   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KenC:
Fresh from the P&O web site the first image, 2 funnels !!!! ..... what price a 20 year old Oriana leaving the fleet after 2015?????

[ 06-01-2011: Message edited by: KenC ]

Hmm, a QE2-inspired radar mast and an overall likeness to the Celebrity Solstice-class, but still, not bad for such a large ship.

RE the ORIANA: I recommend to Saga Holidays that they start saving straightaway to buy her!

Posts: 1037 | From: The Hague, Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
oslo dutch
First Class Passenger
Member # 4669

posted 06-01-2011 07:24 AM      Profile for oslo dutch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Isn't Oriana receiving a refit as adult only ship end of this year with the notorious new balconies? :-)

I think Oriana is still very popular and will stay around for a while.

This new ship does not have a traditional promenade deck as other P & O ships have. Wonder how that will go down with their moaning regulars... ;-)

Posts: 349 | From: Oslo | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 06-01-2011 09:07 AM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I saw this post I had to double check the date. Was it April 1... Was this a joke? The rendering looks like something we'd make on this board with classic liner funnels. But this seems legit. Could this be the long-rumored Canberra 2?
Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 06-01-2011 09:29 AM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting to see how different she actually looks from her Princess "sister". I think Carnival Corp has done a nicer job of visually differentiating these two than say the Azura and Diamond Princess.

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 06-01-2011 09:59 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Of course it was only a matter of time before another Carnival Corp. brand ordered a version of this design.

Just about anything is an improvement over the Grand Class in appearance (especially the P&O versions). I'm not sure which version of the newbuilds I prefer (two or one funnel), and I don't think I'll know for certain until I see the ships in person. The way the two funnels are designed and placed I'm reminded of Celebrity's Solstice Class.

I wonder if Carnival and Costa will get one? I would laugh if Cunard ordered one. Carnival states their next new ship will be a completely different design than the Destiny/Conquest/Dream Class, and I suppose this Princess design would qualify?

It's amazing how similar the NCL and Princess/P&O newbuilds look to one another. They are about the same size and passenger capacity as well. Royal Caribbean's 'Sunshine Class' is also similar in size and capacity, but so far not a single rendering is to be found.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 06-01-2011 10:04 AM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting to compare with the Solstice.

Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 06-01-2011 11:00 AM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
New larger image from P&O website:

Noordam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3811

posted 06-01-2011 11:11 AM      Profile for Noordam   Email Noordam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sadly there is no Crow's Nest, which I feel P&O should have added to the Ventura/Azura, and now this ship.
Posts: 441 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 06-01-2011 11:13 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Noordam:
Sadly there is no Crow's Nest, which I feel P&O should have added to the Ventura/Azura, and now this ship.

I was just thinking the same thing. No forward facing observation lounge or any observation lounge for that matter. This is something the Solstice Class offers and it's quite beautiful with double height glass walls to the sea.

On these new Princess/P&O ships the space is dedicated to revenue producing cabins, which comes as no surprise on a Carnival design.

Ernie

Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 06-01-2011 11:55 AM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Of course this is what I would really like to see from P&O. 60,000gt, around the world cruiser..

Or paint her in Cunard colors..

Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 06-01-2011 12:18 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it is inevitable that we will see this same hull with a Carnival funnel soon and only minor adjustments to the balcony design, just as they've done with the P&O version.

Remember, the Grand-class was developed by Princess before the takeover by CCL. The new Royal Princess is the first large new hull developed since the merger. I have little doubt that it was designed with the intent to be used by many of their brands including Carnival, Costa, and (let's hope not) Cunard.

P&OOfficer
First Class Passenger
Member # 5124

posted 06-01-2011 12:20 PM      Profile for P&OOfficer        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else picked up on the rendering having the 'new' P&O Cruises rising sun logo as well as having the old P&O in bold letters like their ships used to have?
Posts: 122 | From: SE England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Noordam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3811

posted 06-01-2011 02:26 PM      Profile for Noordam   Email Noordam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to imagine that Carnival needs a larger ship then this class to compete against RCI. They really do need to up their game.

As for this class, I am going to assume that Holland America is the next to adapt, and I bet it will be very similar to P&O, two stacks and all.

Posts: 441 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 06-01-2011 03:11 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Noordam:
I have to imagine that Carnival needs a larger ship then this class to compete against RCI. They really do need to up their game.

As for this class, I am going to assume that Holland America is the next to adapt, and I bet it will be very similar to P&O, two stacks and all.

I was thinking the same thing about HAL getting one of these ships. HAL has already indicated that their next newbuild will be larger, and Celebrity has proven they can still compete in the 'Premium' market with a larger ship. Funny, there is not really a lot that differentiates the mass-market from premium market these days. Certainly not price. It's usually cheaper to sail on HAL and Celebrity than Royal Caribbean.

Regarding Carnival Cruise Lines, believe it or not there has been some speculation that the next newbuild will be smaller than the current Dream Class. Who knows if there is any truth to that. It would not surprise me if they got one of these Royal Princess designs, along with Costa as well. The only holdout might be Cunard. Wouldn't that be something, the same platform ship crossing over five brands? Maybe the Vista Class isn't looking so bad after all! LOL

Ernie

Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 06-01-2011 03:17 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The mast and stack give this ship a very stiff look IMHO. The Princess ships seem to hide the stack very well.
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 06-01-2011 03:18 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thad:
Of course this is what I would really like to see from P&O. 60,000gt, around the world cruiser..

Or paint her in Cunard colors..

Thad, this looks great. All that is missing is P&Os traditional red boot-topping.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 06-01-2011 03:21 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty 4:
The mast and stack give this ship a very stiff look IMHO. The Princess ships seem to hide the stack very well.
Frosty 4

I agree Frosty. In this case I actually prefer the Princess single birdcage funnel over the P&O version which is surprising to me. I almost always prefer two stack ships with a few exceptions (HAL's Vista Class being one).

Ernie

Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 06-01-2011 03:40 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HAL Version!?!?!? What shall we name her? Spaarndam?

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 06-01-2011 03:49 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
HAL Version!?!?!? What shall we name her? Spaarndam?

Thad,
Perhaps you should forward to HAL for their next press release! How about putting HAL Vista Class style funnels on her?

Ernie

Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 06-01-2011 03:55 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How about Ameridam, Asiadam, or some other horrendous name that syncs with Eurodam?

I also say a nod to the ship's fleetmates in Carnival Corp is overdue:

Princessdam
Vistadam
Carnivaldam

Honestly, they should use an old name from the fleet:

Leerdam
Edam
Spaarndam
or my favorite:
Dubbeldam

Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 06-01-2011 04:12 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Altered to be a little more "HAL"-ish

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 06-01-2011 04:49 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Altered to be a little more "HAL"-ish

Perfect! I think it's only a matter of time.

Ernie

Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 06-01-2011 04:51 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Studying the design reveals a few key changes from the Princess version.

1. The funnels (duh)
2. MUTS seems better integrated in front of the funnel
3. The balcony decks are blended into the fore and aft superstructures.
4. The lifeboats on RP are inboard but on the P&O ship they clearly hang outside the hull. Notice the shadows. And they are a different design. This may mean a different promenade design or obstructed cabins.
5. No seawalk on the P&O ship.

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.