- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Miami vs Port Everglades (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Miami vs Port Everglades
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-26-2011 09:18 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Early this morning I was watching AIS and a parade of 12 cruise ships all pointing towards their two south Florida ports of destination. A few things came to mind regarding Miami and Port Everglades, rival kings as the busiest cruise ship ports in the world.

1. Miami is 'limited' by its single long embarkation terminal port to a maximum of 5-6 ships on any given busy day. That is, five on the ship channel side and one another on the back side near the Royal Caribbean HQ building. This, when Port Everglades can accommodate ten or more? Could Miami ever expand with additional berths or piers?

2. When did the big switcheroo occur between the cruise lines and the two ports? It used to be back in the day (or at least in my mind) that certain cruise lines always/only left from either MIA or FLL. Now they are all mixed with Celebrity, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, etc leaving from either/both ports, HAL and NCL the exceptions still pretty much sticking to their original homeports. Why doesn't NCL leave from FLL and HAL from MIA? Why has NCL put so many ships out of NYC and abandoned Miami?

3. Now we have a port of embarkation within a half days driving distance from just about anywhere on the eastern seaboard, five alone just in Florida. I hear Jacksonville may be getting the ax. Would the cruise lines ever consider Savannah or Wilmington? Why not put more ships out of Baltimore? Why has Norfolk never had a permanent homeported ship?

4. Or why not consolidate more ships back to Miami with more mid-week departures or longer 10-night cruises? Seems like all the longer cruises leave from FLL.

[ 02-26-2011: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 02-26-2011 10:19 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Traditionally, and I mean recent tradition, going back to the '70s and '80s, Miami homported the mass-market ships (CCL, RCCL, NCL) while Port Everglades handled the more deluxe lines, like Royal Viking, Holland America, Norwegian America, Cunard, etc.

But NCL did not abandon Miami--with the deployment of their EPIC, it has boosted the last Quarter revenues and and pax loads by 20% over the previous year. Both NCL and CCL have positioned lots of their other tonnage in "drive-to" ports around the country, as you pointed out, but there are drawbacks to having ships in many Northern ports, with both the severe weather and longer distances to sail to ports. Too many 7-night cruises can't get much further than Florida and the Bahamas.

In recent years the cruise lines have simply worked out the best deals they could with the respective ports--much depends upon costs, infrastructure, berth availability, airlift, etc. Miami in theory could accommodate more cruise ships, but you must realize that a huge portion of Dodge Island is given over to container ships--a LOT of cargo goes in and out of Miami, far more than at Port Everglades.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 02-26-2011 10:40 AM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The way I see it our politicians have not done enough to keep ships and provide incentives to cruise lines to berth more ships in Miami. This year we will not have a Royal Caribbean ship home ported year round apart from Majesty of the Seas which is a shame. If the people in charge, port director and politicians would have done more we could've had Oasis and Allure of the Seas home ported here as well as Carnival Dream or Magic. Facilities here can be updated and enlarged as easily as the warehouses in Fort Lauderdale, and Miami is a true departure to a Caribbean vacation. More passengers leaving from Miami means more money spent here and more tax dollars we get which are highly needed, but of course our politicians were more involved with getting some out of state construction companies some high paying jobs such as the port tunnel and the Marlins stadium for their own benefit than actually bringing tourism dollars. Sorry for the rant but the things I see here are outrageous.
Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 03-04-2011 12:22 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I see the COSTA ATLANTICA sailing out of Miami. What happened, did Costa get bumped out of FLL? I don't see them returning to the US at all Winter 2011/2012.
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-04-2011 12:52 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carlos Fernandez:
The way I see it our politicians have not done enough to keep ships and provide incentives to cruise lines to berth more ships in Miami. This year we will not have a Royal Caribbean ship home ported year round apart from Majesty of the Seas which is a shame. If the people in charge, port director and politicians would have done more we could've had Oasis and Allure of the Seas home ported here as well as Carnival Dream or Magic. Facilities here can be updated and enlarged as easily as the warehouses in Fort Lauderdale, and Miami is a true departure to a Caribbean vacation. More passengers leaving from Miami means more money spent here and more tax dollars we get which are highly needed, but of course our politicians were more involved with getting some out of state construction companies some high paying jobs such as the port tunnel and the Marlins stadium for their own benefit than actually bringing tourism dollars. Sorry for the rant but the things I see here are outrageous.

This announced today Carlos. Probably a good thing all around for the port.

Also, what are your feelings on the recall of Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Alvarez? Just received my sample ballot. To be honest I haven't been back in Miami long enough to be up on all the politics. I know Miami-Dade is fairly corrupt and pretty much always has been, but that has also been the case with most of the US cities I have lived in.

Ernie

quote:

Gov. Rick Scott to fund Port of Miami project

Gov. Rick Scott Friday said the state will contribute $77 million to deep dredge the port of Miami so that larger ships can use it.

Scott said he’s directed the state Department of Transportation to “amend” its work plan to account for the $77 million “so that Florida can take another leap forward in international trade.”

The announcement comes the same day as Scott rejected $2.4 billion for a high speed rail system in the state. He called the port dredge “the type of infrastructure project that will pay permanent, long-term dividends, and provide a solid return on investment for Florida’s taxpayers.”

Once the port is dredged to a depth of 50 feet, it could accommodate larger ships built to traverse the Panama canal, which is being expanded.

“There are a number of worthy infrastructure projects that deserve our attention, and as Floridians, we know best where our resources should be focused,” Scott said.

Port officials had hoped to secure the money in a congressional earmark, but were thwarted when Congress began to swear off earmarks. The Obama administration did not include any money for the project in its 2012 budget.

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-04-2011 01:03 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
I see the COSTA ATLANTICA sailing out of Miami. What happened, did Costa get bumped out of FLL? I don't see them returning to the US at all Winter 2011/2012.

It was announced that COSTA ATLANTICA would move to Miami after her refit. Not sure of all the reasons.

Attached is the Costa Caribbean deployment for 2012. I'm quite excited that COSTA LUMINOSA is coming to North America. I have little desire to sail on Costa, with the exception being LUMINOSA and DELIZOSIA. While they still have the Carnival Farcus decor, the design is a unique hybid of the Spirit and Vista Class design. The public areas look more Spirit Class, which I very much prefer.

What else is interesting is that Costa will operate GRAND VOYAGER. See additional information from the press release below.

Ernie

quote:

The Caribbean: a new itinerary and wellness cruises
A new itinerary for one of Costa Cruises’ “classic” destinations. In winter 2011/12 the Costa Atlantica will be offering a 10-day cruise departing from Miami and porting at Grand Turk, Ocho Rios (Jamaica), Grand Cayman, Roatan (Honduras), Cozumel (Mexico) and Nassau (Bahamas). For the first time the Costa Luminosa will also be positioned in the Caribbean on 7-day cruises calling at a different island each day. Also for the first time, the Costa Luminosa will bring to the Caribbean “wellness cruises” with all the superb amenities of the Samsara Spa: treatments, winter garden, solarium, thalassotherapy pool, sauna and Turkish bath, cabins with direct Spa access and a dedicated restaurant. In 2012 Costa total capacity in the area will increase of 25%

quote:

The Grand Voyager belongs to the fleet of Iberocruceros, the Costa Group brand dedicated to the Spanish and Portuguese markets. This vessel will be operated by Costa Cruises, she will have the trademark yellow funnel with the blue “C”, she will have Costa personnel on board and she will offer the same distinctive Italian-style service excellence found on other Costa cruises.

Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 03-04-2011 01:18 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:

When Costa decided last year to move to Miami for this season, the official reason was based on airlift (MIA vs. FLL) -- most of their pax are international, arriving and departing from MIA. That reason may be just coincidental, and very likely they were bumped from PEV due to only having one ship, and that is seasonal.

Similar speculation to Celebrity moving ships like ECLIPSE and CENTURY to Miami, although they also maintain a large presence in PEV.

Rich

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 03-05-2011 12:32 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing an interview with Florida Governor Rick Scott and he repeatedly said that the reason he rejected the funds for the High Speed Rail Project was that he had more important infrastructure projects to worry about: the Panama Canal. And he kept mentioning it by name, never mentioning the dredging project and how it would benefit the cruise industry. This seems to be confirmed by the above press release where he is completely focused on international trade, and that means more container ships and cargo ships, and not larger cruise ships. I am guessing that Miami has seen it's heyday as the Cruise Ship Capital of the World.
JohnHJ
First Class Passenger
Member # 30846

posted 03-06-2011 09:43 AM      Profile for JohnHJ   Author's Homepage   Email JohnHJ   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think Linerrich touched on the real reason why the shift occurred. Having grown up in south Florida and watched the area grow during the 70's - 90's it was readily apparent that while FLL (airport) significantly improved it's infrastructure, roadways, parking, terminals, you name it.....this is THE real reason why the shift occurred. Miami International on the other hand? For those of you who airline on a regular basis I can only think of one other airport I hate traveling into and out of more in the U.S. and that is JFK.

Fort Lauderdale International Airport has very comparable domestic routes, and one could even argue that with 2 of the big 3 discount carriers having a significant presence at FLL, this too is a factor....not a primary factor....but a factor. Which leads me to a non-related question - I wonder if Southwest will serve MIA as Airtran is right now once the merger is completed?

Ultimately, I think if the infrastructure was improved in Miami - both at the port and the airport and there was a more efficient, quick means of transportation between the airport and the port of Miami....the cruise lines would come. Bottom line folks.....one of the biggest determining factors for the cruise lines is the ease in which they can embark and disembark passengers quickly, conveniently, and cost effectively. This is where Port Everglades wins hands down over Miami....and the reason why there was a switch over the years. Anyone else agree / disagree?

Posts: 60 | From: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-06-2011 10:13 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JohnHJ:
Miami International on the other hand? For those of you who airline on a regular basis I can only think of one other airport I hate traveling into and out of more in the U.S. and that is JFK.

I'm not sure how long it's been since you have traveled through MIA, but if it's been a while it's not the airport you remember. While there is still room for improvement, much progress has been made to MIA and it's actually a pretty pleasant experience now. Most of the terminals have been extensively refurbished or rebuilt and are quite fresh, bright, and modern with great facilities (and clean!). Recently the first section of the Sky Train was completed connecting areas of the North Terminal. There have been massive improvements in the surrounding infrastructure such as access roads, signage, and ramps and it's pretty easy to get around now. Easing the congestion is the RCC, or Rental Car Center. This massive new complex recently opened and will be connected to MIA by the sky train. It now houses all the rental car companies in one location, and with the sky train there will be no more rental car busses adding to the congestion at MIA. Lastly is the Miami Intermodel Center still under construction. It's adjacent to MIA and the RCC and will be connected by the sky train. It will be sort of a Grand Central Station for Miami, as a major hub for everything related to transportation. Busses, Metro Rail, MIA, Tri-Rail, etc. will all be accessible from the MIC.

As you can see, there has been a lot of development at MIA and this will continue for the next few years. Also keep in mind MIA is the far bigger airport (compared to FLL), and basically Miami's connection to the world on an International level. Relating all this to personal experience, I can say my recent experiences at MIA have actually been better than FLL. The terminals at FLL are outdated and too small to accommodate all the passengers at peak times. On Saturdays and Sundays the airport is literally a zoo, with massive amounts of people, excessive lines at the relatively small security check-points, overcrowded and dirty restrooms, and not enough seating in the outdated terminals so people are sitting on the floor. It's really time for a major upgrade in all the terminals. Oh, and the dated and stained palm tree carpet has to go along with the half-working neon Dolphin displays in baggage claim! LOL

Add to all this that overall Miami is a superior cruise port with easier entry access (no security check point), better parking, and state of the art terminals (not converted cargo sheds) and I see no reason why Miami can't continue to be the #1 cruise port in the world. Currently at the Port of Miami there is a major tunnel being built under Government Cut to connect the cargo port directly with I-395 and I-95. This will mean no more trucks congesting the port entry area and downtown Miami, which equates to a better experience for cruise passengers.

Anyway lots of great things happening at MIA and the Port of Miami. What the port needs now is the right people running it, and the right incentives to lure in the cruise lines. The facilities are already first rate and only getting better.

Ernie

Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 03-06-2011 12:55 PM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernie, I really don't think the dredging project will boost the local economy more than bringing more cruise passengers, it is far more efficient to take the ship coming from Asia to the west coast, if there are any benefits they would be minimal IMO.

Cruise passengers do have to spend here, pay local taxes, eat in our restaurants, use our hotels and our taxis. With Oasis and Allure there would've been 14,000 people, most not local and that's just two ships; then there are the ship services, food, etc. I'm no business person but it makes sense to me.

About mayor Carlos Alvarez I really don't know what to say, he's done some good things around the county but not nearly enough. The problem with him is the Marlins Stadium. The owner of the team, Jeffrey Loria should've paid for the stadium since the Marlins are a private business, instead they used tax money. That money should've been used for public works, specially the hospitals also considering the crisis we have at Jackson Hospital. He also raised the salary of some high ranking county officials while reducing that of all other city employees and some lay offs.

John, I do think the airport also had something to play with the shift, but not by much. MIA is second to JFK in European transit in the US, and first for Latin American transit, it is also one of the largest domestic hubs. Yes, FLL has many low cost carriers and that's MIA's weakness but most if not all international cruise passengers do transit through MIA as well as a large sum of domestic passengers. MIA has also made very good infrastructure progress in the last few years.

Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-06-2011 01:15 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ernie, I really don't think the dredging project will boost the local economy more than bringing more cruise passengers, it is far more efficient to take the ship coming from Asia to the west coast, if there are any benefits they would be minimal IMO.

Hi Carlos,
I don't know the economic benefits of cruise passenger revenue vs cargo revenue, but I know that cargo is a very important component to both Miami and Port Everglades. Both ports are expanding their cargo infrastructure so I imagine it brings in substantial revenue.

My understanding is if Miami doesn't dredge to 50' by 2014, it will be at a major competitive disadvantage. When the "new" Panama Canal opens, it will accommodate a new breed of ships that require more depth. Miami is currently the #1 port for cargo coming from South America and Central America. I'm not sure exactly how this trade plays into the new Panama Canal, but apparently it's quite important. If Miami is not capable of accommodating these new larger cargo ships, then the business goes to offshore ports like Freeport.

I agree with you that cruise passenger revenue is also important, I just don't know if one is significantly better than the other to local economy. I think they are both very important.

Ernie

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 03-06-2011 02:44 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
[...] it is far more efficient to take the ship coming from Asia to the west coast, if there are any benefits they would be minimal IMO. [...]

I guess the discussion 'ship vs. train' is as old as the Panama canal itself (maybe in this case it's also 'trucks vs. ship'). Cargo ships are very efficient and in many cases it would be an advantage to get the cargo by ship to the Gulf- or East coast. That's finally an important part of the business model for the Panama Canal.

Short article on the impact of the Panama canal expansion on U.S. ports.

Just to add to the Miami vs. Port Everglades discussion the link to the statistics provided on the webpage of the respective port operator:

Port Everglades

Miami

...and to put that into context:

The 2009 ranking of U.S. ports by cargo tonnage.

[ 03-06-2011: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 03-06-2011 02:50 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love sailing out of Miami down Government Cut. It's beautiful. The only plus that I see right now for FLL is terminal 18. Nothing else that I have experienced thus far can touch it. The rest of the terminals in FLL are old and outdated.
Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
avalon1025
First Class Passenger
Member # 5383

posted 03-06-2011 04:15 PM      Profile for avalon1025   Email avalon1025   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I had not sailed out of Miami in years (a decade?) and just returned from the Eclipse round trip Miami. I loved sailing from Miami. Staying a night in South Beach was far more fun than Ft Lauderdale and getting to and from the ship was a snap. Flying American MIA was greatly improved and had a lovely admirals club.
Posts: 331 | From: West Hollywood | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
JohnHJ
First Class Passenger
Member # 30846

posted 03-07-2011 10:40 PM      Profile for JohnHJ   Author's Homepage   Email JohnHJ   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernie - thanks for the comments on MIA....and as you could probably guess from my comments - no, I have not flown into MIA...probably for the better part of 10 years or more. I have been to FLL recently, and I can only imagine how much of a zoo it is on weekends.

One thing I neglected to post in my comment is the aesthetic views of each port. Personally, I love Miami by a long shot. There is something 'just right' about looking back at the skyline of Miami as you begin to pull out into the channel heading towards Government Cut.

Carlos, good point about the international traffic going into JFK. I never really thought of this point of view, however; I would suspect that domestic traffic still makes up the majority of embarkations at each port.

Terminal 18 is indeed impressive and had RCI been able to have similar facilities in Miami, I suspect that would have been considered the 'shift' putting Miami back on top given the prestige of having the two largest cruise ships in the world home port there.

Regardless, for all of you in south Florida, you sure are lucky to visit either port on any given weekend to see some of the most amazing ships in the world!

Posts: 60 | From: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 03-08-2011 08:20 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MIA is unrecognizable from what it was 10 years ago. There are a few parts that are still rather run down (though better than they used to be) but the new terminals are excellent. It has been a long time coming.

FLL in contrast is far too small and except for Terminal 1 it has become old and shabby too. Honestly, I find FLL vastly worse than JFK (other than the hideously awful and soon to be demolished Terminal 3) or even LGA's old (and also hopefully soon to be demolished) Central Terminal Building.

As for the ports themselves, I have to give Miami a huge edge there too ... I have not had the opportunity to try Terminal 18 at Port Everglades yet but the whole set-up of the port is inconvenient and the other terminals range from barely adequate to horrible. Miami ... better access, mostly better terminals, better views and now better airport too. So I will take Miami any day.

I really wish Miami had won OASIS and ALLURE -- I am sure Port Everglades is working out well but it is just weird not having the newest and largest RCI ships in Miami. (For that matter, the world's largest cruise ships have been Miami-based pretty much continuously from 1980 to 2009, except for the time SUN PRINCESS was biggest in 1995-1996 and GRAND PRINCESS in 1998-1999.)

Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-08-2011 09:47 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dougnewman:
I have not had the opportunity to try Terminal 18 at Port Everglades yet but the whole set-up of the port is inconvenient and the other terminals range from barely adequate to horrible. Miami ... better access, mostly better terminals, better views and now better airport too. So I will take Miami any day.

I really wish Miami had won OASIS and ALLURE -- I am sure Port Everglades is working out well but it is just weird not having the newest and largest RCI ships in Miami.

I agree completely Doug. I would have loved to see Miami get the ALLURE and OASIS. It would be so great to see them docked while driving down the causeway. Also, it's kind of cool to have the newest Royal Caribbean ships out of Miami since their headquarters is right at the port.

This being said, Terminal 18 at Port Everglades works very well for these ships. Royal Caribbean really achieved the aspirational goal of curbside to gangway in 15 minutes. It's an amazing feat when you think about it. Terminal 18 is well designed, but there is nothing architecturally significant about it except that it's the largest. Like the rest of the terminals at Port Everglades, it looks and feels like a giant warehouse with no windows. I believe the fairly generic "tilt-up" poured concrete construction method was used, which is typical for warehouse type structures.

Much more attractive are the Royal Caribbean terminals at Miami. They are beautiful to look at and a pleasure to embark from. I love all the windows looking out to the ship. I haven't used the new Carnival terminals yet in Miami, but they also look very nice.

I would have to say the best terminals I've embarked from are:

Disney Terminal at Port Canaveral
Royal Caribbean Terminals at Miami
Terminal 18 at Port Everglades
Canada Place in Vancouver

The new Ocean Terminal at Southampton was actually a disappointment. It was chaos embarking on QM2 last April. It looks good but didn't work that well.

Ernie

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-08-2011 09:55 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

FLL in contrast is far too small and except for Terminal 1 it has become old and shabby too. Honestly, I find FLL vastly worse than JFK (other than the hideously awful and soon to be demolished Terminal 3) or even LGA's old (and also hopefully soon to be demolished) Central Terminal Building.

Something else we agree on. I think people like to remember FLL the way it was 10-15 years ago. It was a great airport back then and easy to travel through. The expansion of the cruise industry and 9/11 have made the airport somewhat obsolete. These days it's a zoo on weekends and the terminals are way to small to accommodate the passengers. Terminal two for instance has one bathroom once through security for several packed gate houses. Terminal 3 and 4 are no better. The small terminals and security check-points are just not equipped to handle the current traffic. As you mention, most of the terminals are also so outdated looking. I honestly don't think anything has been done to most of them in 15 years. The same palm tree carpet although these days quite filthy and stained. It's time for a major overhaul.

Well I will have the um, pleasure of working my first flight out of JFK Terminal 3 on the 17th to London. My colleagues tell me nothing has changed since the last time I was based in NY, 17 years ago! Well my time in NY will be short lived as I'll be based in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale beginning in April. Although I'm not senior enough to hold the MIA/LHR flight in Miami, I hope to get a few of them on occasion by swapping.

Ernie

Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 03-08-2011 10:37 PM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
FLL is getting a new runway, with that I guess they might be getting a much needed terminal expansion. Last time I flew from there it was quite a mess but I blame it on the TSA agents. Miami's North Terminal, the problematic one a few years ago is now being completely rebuilt with most of it done and it is amazing, Concourse J is also amazing.

As for Terminal 18 in Port Everglades it is very efficient and possibly the most efficient cruise terminal on boarding, 15 minutes is what it takes to be on the ship which honestly is not the case in Miami right now but this is due to space. PE had and still has a great amount of open space left for construction or reconstruction of more terminals such as 18, the only way Miami could achieve this is to demolish the existing terminals or add on to the current Royal Caribbean terminal G (the one on the extreme west). This addition could even be completed in an L shape taking over terminal H which has a good amount of space for a new construction. The only problem I see with T18 is that it does not have luggage carousels, with the bags put in piles of groups by letters, get your bag and make the TSA line.

dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 03-09-2011 02:49 AM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
This being said, Terminal 18 at Port Everglades works very well for these ships. Royal Caribbean really achieved the aspirational goal of curbside to gangway in 15 minutes.
How long does it take to get inside the port though?

quote:
Much more attractive are the Royal Caribbean terminals at Miami. They are beautiful to look at and a pleasure to embark from.
I agree. Still about the best embarkation experience you can have IMHO. They also have lots of staff and a very efficient process, which is also very important. Every time I have used these terminals they've worked very well.

quote:
I haven't used the new Carnival terminals yet in Miami, but they also look very nice.
At least from the outside, they look a lot like the RCCL ones really. Which is good.

It's weird to think, actually, that I've only ever sailed Royal Caribbean and Celebrity from Miami. I guess that has something to do with having been on a total of one NCL cruise and no Carnival cruises. And the other Carnival "brands," the ones I actually have been on, mostly "live" in Port Everglades.

quote:
The new Ocean Terminal at Southampton was actually a disappointment. It was chaos embarking on QM2 last April. It looks good but didn't work that well.
My experience with it in January was OK. Not great, but OK. It was as good an embarkation as I have ever had on Cunard, and the best one in Southampton, though that is not saying a tremendous amount. I don't really understand the whole business of boarding in groups -- I mean, I understand the concept, but others manage just as well with people boarding the ship as soon as they check in. (Celebrity even manages to do this and still have everyone met at the gangway and escorted to their cabins, which Cunard doesn't any more.)

quote:
I think people like to remember FLL the way it was 10-15 years ago. It was a great airport back then and easy to travel through.
I don't know if it was great, but it was at least good. I think maybe it looked better than it really was when compared to the absolute disaster MIA was until very recently.

It used to be I would rather fly to FLL even to sail from MIA ... those days are very much over though.

I think FLL has sort of become the "low-cost" alternative to MIA, if you look at the airlines that fly there. It's dominated by LCCs whereas MIA barely has any. It reminds me of places like London where what airport you're using is substantially determined by what kind of airline you're flying.

quote:
Well I will have the um, pleasure of working my first flight out of JFK Terminal 3 on the 17th to London. My colleagues tell me nothing has changed since the last time I was based in NY, 17 years ago!
Different birds, probably.

(For those of you not familiar with this "palace:" there are actually birds living inside the terminal.)

I think some of the food outlets are probably different from what was there 17 years ago and of course there are new DL/KL/AF logos everywhere (even though KL is in T4 and AF is in T1). But essentially it is the same old dump. It should have died with Pan Am, really.

Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 03-09-2011 07:23 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I agree completely Doug. I would have loved to see Miami get the ALLURE and OASIS. It would be so great to see them docked while driving down the causeway. Also, it's kind of cool to have the newest Royal Caribbean ships out of Miami since their headquarters is right at the port.

Ernie

I'm not sure of the statistics and facts, but is it possible that OASIS and ALLURE are simply too big for Miami? I'm thinking of their dimensions in the turning basin; they're 150 feet longer than NORWAY was, and she was pushing the envelope when she used the Basin.

I'll have to go back to the time of Project Genesis being planned to see the reasoning for going up to PEV--it's just possible that they have gone there out of necessity.

Rich

[ 03-09-2011: Message edited by: Linerrich ]

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-09-2011 07:39 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerrich:

I'm not sure of the statistics and facts, but is it possible that OASIS and ALLURE are simply too big for Miami? I'm thinking of their dimensions in the turning basin; they're 150 feet longer than NORWAY was, and she was pushing the envelope when she used the Basin.

Could be Rich. I honestly don't know but its a valid point. If you find out please let us know.

Thanks.

Ernie

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-09-2011 02:05 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

(For those of you not familiar with this "palace:" there are actually birds living inside the terminal.)

LOL!! Not only that, but when I was there last April I noticed these interesting pieces of fabric hanging from the ceilings in the main terminal area. At first I thought maybe they were some kind of art exhibit to spruce up the place. Upon closer inspection I realized they were permanent tarps connected to hoses for collection of water from leaky ceilings. I guess actually fixing the ceiling was too much trouble!

It's really sad to think this terminal is the first impression of America for some people.

Ernie

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-09-2011 11:28 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerrich:

I'll have to go back to the time of Project Genesis being planned to see the reasoning for going up to PEV--it's just possible that they have gone there out of necessity.

Rich

Hey Rich,
I decided to contact the Port of Miami to find out for certain. I was surprised how quickly they responded.

Ernie

quote:

The Liberty of the Seas stretches out to {1113' LOA/ 127' Beam/ 28'
Draft} the longest cruise ship to date for the Port of Miami (POM). The
widest is the Norwegian Epic {1081' LOA/ 172' Beam/ 28' Draft}. Notice
the drafts for vessels mentions are at or around the same numbers. Even
the largest Cargo ship to date to berth at the POM is the CMA CGM DON
CARLOS with an LOA of 1099'.

The maximum distance in the Main Turning Basin is 1500'. The
Allure/Oasis of the Seas specs is {1184' LOA/ 198' Beam/ 30.5' Draft} so
we're talking 51' in LOA difference between our biggest ship and the
vessels in question. Our Basins and Deep Draft will accommodate the
Allure/Oasis class vessel. Please let me know if there is any further
information needed. Kind regards.

Frederick P. Wong Jr.
Miami-Dade County, Seaport
Seaport Operations Manager

[ 03-09-2011: Message edited by: eroller ]

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.