- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Port Everglades Ship Spotting - In the Morning

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Port Everglades Ship Spotting - In the Morning
JohnHJ
First Class Passenger
Member # 30846

posted 02-07-2011 01:00 PM      Profile for JohnHJ   Author's Homepage   Email JohnHJ   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Greetings everyone:

I will have the first opportunity in a VERY long time to actually do some ship spotting at Port Everglades on the morning of Saturday, February 26th. For you locals, or others who have done so, is there much to see during the wee daylight hours? I am on a business trip staying in Boca the night of the 25th and plan on getting up early to see what ships I can arrive. From what I can tell, sunrise on the morning of the 26th will be at 6:35AM.

My real question to the group, is how many arrivals do you think I could see from 6AM onwards? Not real fond of being there at 5AM to see these beauties arrive in the dark.....unless of course some of you with experience say it is worth the trip anyway. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Posts: 60 | From: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 02-07-2011 01:20 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There will be 8 or 9 ships in PEV on Feb. 26th; they do start arriving in the dark, so photography is difficult, but if you're looking forward to just being there to see them come in, then do get up early and go! If this is something you don't do very often, and especially if you've never been on hand for arrivals and departures, it can be quite exciting.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 02-08-2011 01:05 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I use to do that in Miami...get up early and drive to the optimal viewing area to watch the ships come in. It is exciting. Few locals care about the ships because they see them all the time, but for someone who loves the ships...it's particularly exciting to see the ships in action (in motion) arriving early in the morning.
Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 02-08-2011 05:58 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The below link will take you to the ports site and the ships schedule. I have found it to be pretty accurate.

https://pevweb01.broward.org/Public/PublicMovements.aspx

Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-09-2011 01:07 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is a stillness, a calm beauty and elegance of watching cruise ships quietly glide into port before the sun comes up, where the festive departures with handrails and shores lined with passengers and well wishers, horns and whistles blowing, wave runners and happy shouts of 'Bon Voyage' are replaced by the cooler morning air and the deep silence of an empty beach and streets empty of traffic, the cry of a single seagull in the distance, and the gentle sounds the palms rusting in the breeze and waves slapping at the beach,
so quiet you swear you can hear the ship breathing as a living entity in itself. 

Morning arrivals are just as special, even more so than the afternoon departures and gives you a greater appreciation of the ship itself, the dark silhouette glowing from within, those aboard just stirring to life, a few lone passengers on deck for scale, the ship cutting through the still undisturbed waters of the day, and slipping up to it's berth in a carefully orchestrated version of parallel parking.

And then the morning crests and the ship and city slowly come to life, beaches begin to fill, and the sounds of street traffic and small craft all rudely taking you away from solitude and peaceful moments of having witnessed these beautiful painted steel monoliths entering port, as if you and it had shared a momentary connection that only a ship enthusiast can truly appreciate.

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
jeremya
First Class Passenger
Member # 5699

posted 02-09-2011 03:12 AM      Profile for jeremya   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is something to be said for early arrivals into the Port. As a boy, my parents would bring us to Chalk Airlines port in Miami and we would watch ships sail.

I remember the first ship I saw leave port was the Carnival Festival, Mardi Gras and Carnival. That was also the age of the old Veendam and Volendam.

I could not get enough of them when I was younger. That only followed me into a travel agents position after high school.

These days I can sit at my computer and watch on cam the arrivals in Port Everglades. On InletCam

Inlet Cam Port Everglades

Up very early in the morning has afforded me to watch ships like Oasis and Allure and many others over the last few weeks. The cam now has sound which makes arrivals and sail aways much more festive.

Posts: 377 | From: montreal | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 02-09-2011 06:44 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
There is a stillness, a calm beauty and elegance of watching cruise ships quietly glide into port before the sun comes up, where the festive departures with handrails and shores lined with passengers and well wishers, horns and whistles blowing, wave runners and happy shouts of 'Bon Voyage' are replaced by the cooler morning air and the deep silence of an empty beach and streets empty of traffic, the cry of a single seagull in the distance, and the gentle sounds the palms rusting in the breeze and waves slapping at the beach,
so quiet you swear you can hear the ship breathing as a living entity in itself. 

Morning arrivals are just as special, even more so than the afternoon departures and gives you a greater appreciation of the ship itself, the dark silhouette glowing from within, those aboard just stirring to life, a few lone passengers on deck for scale, the ship cutting through the still undisturbed waters of the day, and slipping up to it's berth in a carefully orchestrated version of parallel parking.

And then the morning crests and the ship and city slowly come to life, beaches begin to fill, and the sounds of street traffic and small craft all rudely taking you away from solitude and peaceful moments of having witnessed these beautiful painted steel monoliths entering port, as if you and it had shared a momentary connection that only a ship enthusiast can truly appreciate.

You have captured perfectly the feeling and ambience of being there in the morning. From 1980 to 1989 I had to be at the Carnival piers in Miami by 6:30am every Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday for arrivals (Thursdays in PEV.) It was magical seeing the ships come in as the day awoke.

Here is a snapshot I took (not very good) on Saturday, 3 May 1986 from the bridge wing of FESTIVALE, which I had just boarded upon her arrival. The sun is already well up, with SKYWARD and SCANDINAVIAN STAR already berthed. NORWAY and BRITANIS are positioning themselves to berth:

Rich

DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 02-09-2011 09:38 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Talk about hitting the nail on the head:
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:

And then the morning crests and the ship and city slowly come to life, beaches begin to fill, and the sounds of street traffic and small craft all rudely taking you away from solitude and peaceful moments of having witnessed these beautiful painted steel monoliths entering port, as if you and it had shared a momentary connection that only a ship enthusiast can truly appreciate.

Exactly how I felt when we would leave and arrive at the port. Especially in the 1980's when we cruised out of both PE and Miami. And Rich, I have to kiss your feet, that is an excellent photo.

Posts: 687 | From: Olney, IL, Move to FL 02/2015, Sailed SS NORWAY 3 xs. /May '99 Orig. Reg. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 02-09-2011 11:07 AM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
dmwnc1, Really nice writing there sir! You should transition into a Cruise Journalist. Very poetic, and spot on. Thanks for writing that! I can relate to everything you wrote....they are my feelings as well. I recall the adrenalin pumping through me on those early morning treks to see the ships come in, and I think the early morning is better for ship watching in some ways because of what you so beautifully described.
Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 02-09-2011 11:42 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
By the way, that same exciting feeling of arrival amidst surrounding calm can be experienced on board, as well. I'm always an early riser and always go up on deck as the ship is arriving and maneuvering to dock. In Miami you can hear the traffic as the city and beaches begin to wake, and there are usually very few other passengers up and about to disturb the quiet scene.

I highly recommended getting up early and out of the cabin to experience this on your next cruise!

Rich

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-09-2011 12:43 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
THANKS everyone for the kind comments. I just closed my eyes and wrote from the heart of how I remembered it. Sappy, I know.

RICH: One thing I am really looking forward to now on the B2B cruise out of Miami is just that; leaving and coming back - TWICE. Really dont care much about the four ports of call along the way but am really looking forward to spending nine days on the Celebrity MILLENNIUM and especially the three days at sea.

Watching the ships arrive and depart from Miami is completely different than that of Port Everlades, especially if you are positioned at the beginning or end of that long ship channel and turning basin. It was incredible watching the Norway slowly approach from the distance, her substantial length appearing stubby but those glorious winged funnels at full span, and as she passed by it seemed like she went on forever and ever. These days seeing ships of 1000 feet in length is commonplace, but none will ever match the timeless grace and beauty of watching the Norway effortlessly glide past you in the early morning light.

quote:
Originally posted by Linerrich:
By the way, that same exciting feeling of arrival amidst surrounding calm can be experienced on board, as well. I'm always an early riser and always go up on deck as the ship is arriving and maneuvering to dock. In Miami you can hear the traffic as the city and beaches begin to wake, and there are usually very few other passengers up and about to disturb the quiet scene.

I highly recommended getting up early and out of the cabin to experience this on your next cruise!

Rich

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.