- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Quite a ride for those onboard BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quite a ride for those onboard BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS...
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 12-13-2010 02:18 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just read that BRILLANCE OF THE SEAS encountered a storm off the coast of Eqypt. Looks like quite a bit of damage was done onboard...

Link

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
JohnHJ
First Class Passenger
Member # 30846

posted 12-13-2010 03:36 PM      Profile for JohnHJ   Author's Homepage   Email JohnHJ   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just read this myself. Curious though as to the multiple times the staff referred to 'mistakes' that put them in this situation. Should be interesting as more details emerge in the days and weeks to come.
Posts: 60 | From: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
goodclicks
First Class Passenger
Member # 6216

posted 12-13-2010 04:13 PM      Profile for goodclicks     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm following this story with great interest.

It happened less than 24 hours after I booked for her repositioning to Dubai (in 3 weeks time). I've read passenger accounts and it does sound as if the captain made a mistake in attempting to enter the port of Alexandria in such high winds and such poor sea conditions. I wonder if Royal Caribbean realise this when it is reported that they are refunding everyone?

Posts: 70 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 12-14-2010 12:00 AM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not sure if you've seen that but Adam Goldstein has posted a blog entry on the events that took place:
http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/?p=2953

Captain Bill Wright has also made a video discussing the events that took place and has since left to meet this ship in person on Tuesday afternoon. You can see that video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5u3kiM2DlQ

Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 12-14-2010 12:47 PM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've read a report that RCI have now offered all passengers a refund of the whole cruise fare. Maybe I'm just feeling ungenerous, but I'm not sure that's really called-for. I understand that passengers had already received a credit, presumably for the frightening experience and to compensate them for the fact that some of the ship's facilities would not be available for the rest of the cruise. I can also certainly see that those passengers who received significant injuries (I believe there were some broken bones) deserve compensation. But a full refund, for all passengers? For a 'peril of the sea'?

This incident is different in essence, it seems to me, from the recent cases involving Carnival Splendor,and Celebrity Century: in both the cruise had to be cancelled, passengers experienced considerable inconvenience lasting for days, and (most tellingly) both were caused by problems with the respective ships. Perhaps the most similar incident was the heeling of the Crown Princess a few years ago; except that that incident was caused directly by human error and intervention. I'm not aware that anyone is saying that the problem encountered by Brilliance of the Seas was caused by anything but nature.

Or I am being curmudgeonly?

[ 12-14-2010: Message edited by: Tom Burke ]

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-14-2010 02:27 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Burke:
I've read a report that RCI have now offered all passengers a refund of the whole cruise fare. Maybe I'm just feeling ungenerous, but I'm not sure that's really called-for. [...]

I think as a cruise line one HAS to be very, very generous in such a situation. Those people paid for a vacation and that's definitely not what they got. I am sure for many aboard it must have been a terrible and very frightening experience. Maybe RCI can not be blamed for what happened (we will learn about that soon) but they do not only have some 'responsibility' since they took those passengers to that region during that time of the year (!!) - it's also in their interest to protect their reputation.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 12-14-2010 04:12 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernst is right about protecting their reputation. The good will created more than offsets the unfortunate incident.
Seems like weather this year has been pretty bad all around the world. Areas that are usually calm(seas) have rough weather.
I often wondered about cruising in the Winter months where it's truely Winter with cold and possible snow.EG. Europe this year.
Can anyone comment on a true Winter cruise and how it is??
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-14-2010 04:27 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty 4:
[...]
Can anyone comment on a true Winter cruise and how it is??
Frosty 4

What do you want to know?
I have been on ships during the winter (with snow, ice etc.) not cruise ships but some are actually similar to cruise ship. Here some examples:

Gabriella / Silja Scandinavia - going through ice

Richard With - Hurtigruten - during the winter

Silja Symphony Helsinki - Stockholm trip during the winter

Sampo - icebreaker

[ 12-14-2010: Message edited by: Ernst ]

LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 12-14-2010 05:05 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We had a "wintery" experience aboard the Hurtigruten ships this past October. By the way, I think the media is particularly critical of the cruise industry.

Aboard the Trollfjord

Snow on deck aboard the Trollfjord. That morning I used the Jacuzzi while we encountered a snow blizzard...it was very cool!

Here is my wife and I on top of the World in Hammerfest just as a snow blizzard rolled in.

[ 12-14-2010: Message edited by: LeBarryboat ]

Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 12-14-2010 06:23 PM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Barry hit the nail on the head. The media is critical of the cruise industry. Last night I was fliping channels and saw a report on FOX news. The reporter had a so called cruise expert on and she is grilling the man about the Carnival Splendour, people jumping overboard, last years incident with the Louis Majesty and this! In her own way she was saying how cruising was unsafe. My beef was report all the details! Hows about all the thousands of safe cruises.

In any event the refund of the entire cruise fare was to not only keep pax happy but it was a PR move.

Posts: 665 | From: Westchester County, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 12-14-2010 07:02 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernst,thank you for the info. I was thinking of a river cruise. One that would take us to Germany for the Christmas festive activities there. There is a name for it but don't recall the exact name.

Barry I did see your video about Norway. Winter does start early there.(Oct.).
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 01-31-2011 04:15 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately a woman has died from injuries sustained aboard BRILLIANCE during the storm:

Passenger Dies after Storm

In reading the article, it seems that the storm was unbelievably rough. "Unbelievable" in that one man claims to have seen the ship's propellers come up out of the water, from his glass balcony!

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 01-31-2011 05:48 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My recollection is the Mediterranean is very rough in the winter months. Winter crossings repositioning cruises are comparitively inexpensive because the potential for bad weather is quite probable. When booking I know what to expect.

Recall the ROC Explorer chartered to the Semester at Sea losing power in a Pacific typhoon during the winter months.

I also believe the current generation of boxboats are not as robust in sustained bad weather as a classic liner. BUT, classic liners rock bad enough in storms to throw around passengers, especially the infirm and elderly too.

Queen of Bermuda 1957, [not yet born, but an oral tale] my parents on a winter cruise from NYC: older sister, then age 4 was thrown from her bunk during a Gulf Stream storm. Ropes were put up around the ship for people to hold on to. Later cruises my parents had barriers put up in the bunks for us.

A passenger should do the due dillegence and learn which seas are rough at what times of year. If one is prone to motion sickness and not steady physically, they should only take cruises where the water is calm.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-01-2011 03:15 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is very sad that this lady died, but there is just so much in that article [and every other report about the subject] that just doesn't add up or is obviously untrue, so one wonders what else is a half truth, exaggeration or made up.

If they left Rhodes 12 Dec, the storm did not strike "two days later", the notice was posted on their cabin door on 13th and it says they were "forced" to dock in Valletta on 14th - not true either as it was the next port of call on the itinerary so they would have gone there anyway.

If he really was thrown against the balcony glass, why was he outside, and he cannot possibly have seen "the propellers of the ship lifting right out of the sea". I hope he did not say that and it was a twist on words by a reporter, as if he did it makes the rest of the story suspect too.

We know nothing of the lady's previous medical history or whether there was any underlying condition either, so coming to any conclusion as to how or why this happened, or if there is a case to answer by RCI is impossible.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 02-01-2011 08:57 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I read the article, it might not have been safe to stay in port anyway as if the storm is there it can do more damage than at sea.

It is impossible to outrun or avoid a storm.

From what I have read about storms and ships aparantly any severe storm of hurricane force or as strong as they encountered, has the potential to sink even the largest of ships like QM2 size, Oasis size etc.

From the reading I have done when storms hit ships have to head straight into the waves, aparantly if they turn side on to the swell there is a danger of keeling over and sinking.

Perhaps anyone who has more knowledge on this can explain further, as this is what I have gathered from my reading.

Posts: 1055 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-01-2011 02:53 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sutho:

From the reading I have done when storms hit ships have to head straight into the waves, aparantly if they turn side on to the swell there is a danger of keeling over and sinking.

A captain will always turn the ship to face the waves during a severe storn as the bow is designed to withstand a direct hit compared to the side of a ship.

Todays cruise ships also have their lifeboats low (other than QM2) and those can be damaged as would larger windows lower in the hull if struck by a large wave from the side.

I was on a Royal Viking Line cruise w/my family back in the late 1970s and when we hit some very rough weather. The captain turned the ship into the waves but the sleek bow on our ship was still damaged by the waves. When we docked , the damaged upper portion was clearly seen.

[ 02-01-2011: Message edited by: lasuvidaboy ]

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grant
First Class Passenger
Member # 1000

posted 02-01-2011 03:19 PM      Profile for Grant   Email Grant   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Back in the 1070's I was heading west from San Francisco on Canberra, and it was very rough. We passed a Royal Viking heading to Honolulu, and she was having a real tough job making headway. Her long bow was digging into every 8-10 wave, and top of props breaing he surface as she pitched. She had left San Fran the day before us, and she arrived in Honolulu the day after we left!!
Posts: 834 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-01-2011 03:29 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grant:
[...]We passed a Royal Viking heading to Honolulu, and she was having a real tough job making headway. Her long bow was digging into every 8-10 wave, and top of props breaing he surface as she pitched. [...]

Black Watch (ex Royal Viking Star) approaches A Coruña

Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 02-02-2011 01:49 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Storms can be quite dangerous for any ship.

Here is an example:

USS Pittsburgh - bow completely snapped off during typhoon in WWII. 70-knot (130 km/h) winds and 100-foot (30 m) waves. A heavy cruiser like this had 6 inch side belt armour.

Apparantly the US nave lost many destroyers during simalar storms during WWII.

By glimpsing at that article it looks like the husband is already lawyered up and claiming it is elluding to the fact that he is going to claim gross negligence on behalf of the Captain and cruise line by "wanting to maintain a schedule"

I dont really agree with this line of action as no one can stop a storm and the ship just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, nothing anyone could have done, could have prevented the rough seas it encountered.

Saying it should have stayed in port is all well and good, but it may not have been the safest option at the time.

Posts: 1055 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.