- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Oceania Cruises today announced its newest ship Allura will enter service one week earlier than scheduled. Due to join the fleet in summer 2025, her inaugural sailing will now depart Trieste, Italy, on July 18, 2025, cruising six days to Athens, Greece, calling at gems in the Eastern Mediterranean including Rijeka, Croatia; Ravenna, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; and Kotor, Montenegro...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line expects Carnival Pride to resume sailing from the Port of Baltimore on May 26, continuing the cruise line’s year-round homeport schedule.Carnival Pride is expected to arrive in Baltimore on May 26, following a week-long cruise that embarked in Norfolk, Va., where Carnival temporarily moved its Baltimore operations after the collapse of the Key Bridge...

Latest News...For the first time ever, Celebrity Edge, the ship that introduced the revolutionary outward-facing design, calls Alaska home for the summer. Today, Celebrity Edge will embark on her maiden sailing roundtrip from Seattle on a seven-night Dawes Glacier itinerary with stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Through its unique outward facing design, Celebrity Edge will offer guests...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » The naming of Queen Elizabeth to be done by... (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: The naming of Queen Elizabeth to be done by...
OceanVoyager
First Class Passenger
Member # 5585

posted 09-01-2010 09:50 AM      Profile for OceanVoyager   Email OceanVoyager   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...The present Monarch, so no real surprises there, glad Cunard managed to get her to name the ship.
Here is a pic from the Cunard blog of her on sea trials (the ship not the actual Queen!!)

Brgds,
Andrew

Posts: 627 | From: Hythe, Southampton, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
bcscot
First Class Passenger
Member # 22351

posted 09-01-2010 10:20 AM      Profile for bcscot        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That forward canopy area on the top deck makes her look like she is wearing a crown. How appropriate!

Graham.

Posts: 266 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 09-01-2010 10:39 AM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bcscot:
That forward canopy area on the top deck makes her look like she is wearing a crown. How appropriate!

Graham.

Cunard should have some fun with it and paint it up to look like a crown .... then when she shares a port with the NCL Norwegian Epic she will have her crown and the Epic will have her top hat.

Posts: 757 | From: New York | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 09-01-2010 10:44 AM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting to compare "sisters"

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 09-01-2010 12:59 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The reflection of the bow wave in her fresh paint is beautiful. That is her best angle-Cunard 'crown' and all!
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 09-01-2010 04:23 PM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The naming will take place on Monday, October 11.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-01-2010 06:07 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So what's the crown?
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 09-01-2010 09:44 PM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That crown really ruins her looks. I really like the look of that reflection on her hull. I thought it was fake until I saw that Queen Victoria image with it as well. Is this a result of the black or what is causing it? Odd to see a ships hull reflect like a mirror.
Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
bcscot
First Class Passenger
Member # 22351

posted 09-02-2010 01:11 AM      Profile for bcscot        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
So what's the crown?

My understanding is that it is an awning covered Astroturf games area for croquet & bowls, not present on the QV.

Graham.

Posts: 266 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 09-02-2010 01:11 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DEIx15x8:
I really like the look of that reflection on her hull. I thought it was fake until I saw that Queen Victoria image with it as well. Is this a result of the black or what is causing it? Odd to see a ships hull reflect like a mirror.

Clean paint w/no salt spray will do it. I saw a documentary on the Royal yacht Britannia and her spotless hull (everything about her was over-the-top perfection) also gave off a wonderful reflection.

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 09-02-2010 01:15 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bcscot:

My understanding is that it is an awning covered Astroturf games area for croquet & bowls, not present on the QV.

Graham.

I heard that QVs deck area was quite windy and it was closed-in w/glass windscreens and the awnings on QE. I don't mind it as much as the cattle carrier stern.

KenC
First Class Passenger
Member # 6341

posted 09-03-2010 04:43 AM      Profile for KenC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:

.... I saw a documentary on the Royal yacht Britannia and her spotless hull (everything about her was over-the-top perfection) also gave off a wonderful reflection.

Britannia was sailed and maintained by the Royal Navy so she was as 'perfect' as a naval vessel. Having toured the ship, I wouldn't say the interiors were over the top perfection, they're rather modest. Even the queen's bed was made to a size that would enable the re-use of Queen Victoria's bed linen from previous royal yachts!!! It's also very small and must have given the Royal Family many episodes of mal de mare!!!

Cheers

Ken

Posts: 353 | From: Brighton, UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 09-03-2010 11:03 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I meant over-the-top perfection as to how the interior and exterior were maintained-not the style or scale of her interiors.
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 09-04-2010 05:36 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I need help. I am not sure what would make somebody say this:

I don’t really understand WHY the Queen is naming this Italian built, American owned bog-standard cruise ship.

What is that about, and what is 'bog standard'? Is there actual logic to a statement like this or is this just resentment, spite, hater-style words from someone who can't get past a Vista design as a Cunard 'Queen'?

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 09-04-2010 05:44 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the UK, It apparently means basic or ordinary but in a dismissive way.

I'm guessing the writer thinks the new QE is'nt up to being a 'Queen' passenger ship.

Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 09-04-2010 08:50 PM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Badge engineering has moved from the auto industry to the cruise industry, I see.
Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-06-2010 02:32 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:

I don’t really understand WHY the Queen is naming this Italian built, American owned bog-standard cruise ship.

The old girl needs the work!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-06-2010 02:34 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
What is that about, and what is 'bog standard'?

It's not a derogatory phrase in the UK at all, it just mean 'standard'. I'm not sure where the pre-fix 'bog' comes from?

Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 09-06-2010 04:30 PM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I need help. I am not sure what would make somebody say this:

What is that about, and what is 'bog standard'? Is there actual logic to a statement like this or is this just resentment, spite, hater-style words from someone who can't get past a Vista design as a Cunard 'Queen'?

I'll be honest, I'm partly with the original comment here. The ship *is* Italian-built and (ultimately) US-owned; there is almost nothing about her that is British. Her Majesty is the head of state, and a certain amount of dignity is supposed to go with that. I'm not sure I can see a President of the US naming a cruise ship - I don't think it would be regarded as appropriate. So why ask a British monarch?

As for the historical resonances, I think there's a world of difference between Queen Mary launching RMS Queen Mary in 1935, and Queen Elizabeth naming MS Queen Elizabeth in 2010. The earlier ship was possibly the biggest ship ever built (depending on how you measured them, and which measurement you chose), was a vital piece of the country's maritime infrastructure, and was an expression of British industry. It's also the case that finishing her construction was seen as part of the post-depression recovery. The new ship has many virtues, I'm sure - I would like to cruise on her myself - but has no real significance, even nationally let alone internationally. She's a further good development of what has turned out to be a very successful class of ship, aiming at an international clientale. I don't really see what it's got to to with Elizabeth Regina, other than the coincidence of name.

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-06-2010 05:00 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Burke:

I'll be honest, I'm partly with the original comment here. The ship *is* Italian-built and (ultimately) US-owned; there is almost nothing about her that is British. Her Majesty is the head of state, and a certain amount of dignity is supposed to go with that. [...]

I suppose her homeport will be Southampton so why shouldn't the head of state of the flag state name her?

Also, it should not really matter that she has been built in Italy giving that we have the year 2010 and giving that both the U.K. and Italy are members of the European Union.

Cunard is promoting a cliche of Britain which is also not to my taste BUT they are advertising for Britain and that should be more than enough of a reason for her Majesty to name one of their ships.

[ 09-06-2010: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 09-06-2010 06:48 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Burke:
I'll be honest, I'm partly with the original comment here. The ship *is* Italian-built and (ultimately) US-owned; there is almost nothing about her that is British.

That original comment...

...was made in the same breath as proclaiming the QM2 the 'best ship in the world'. My response was that QM2 was built by that exact same American owned Cunard Line subsidiary of Carnival Corporation but in a French shipyard. So I wonder why all the discord over the new Queens, especially between historians (who really seem to hate them) and actual Cunard passengers (who really seem to like them)?

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 09-07-2010 04:29 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

That original comment...

...was made in the same breath as proclaiming the QM2 the 'best ship in the world'. My response was that QM2 was built by that exact same American owned Cunard Line subsidiary of Carnival Corporation but in a French shipyard. So I wonder why all the discord over the new Queens, especially between historians (who really seem to hate them) and actual Cunard passengers (who really seem to like them)?

I agree totally with you dmwnc1

To go a step further, there was no such comment made by anybody when HAL announced that HM Queen Beatrix would dedicate the Eurodam back in 2008. The same reasons are here in place as with the QE. Italian build American owned not etc. What is different between The Dutch Queen dedicating a vista clone and the British Queen dedicating a vista clone. Nothing!

I think they recognizing that these ships are flag wavers fore both there country's. Al over the world. A sort of giant bill board. Providing work to British and Dutch crews (most in the officers and engine department) And they are paying taxes to fly the Red ensign and Dutch tricolor. Beside that I think they find it fun to dedicate ships it brings them good lots of positive attention.

Just my thoughts, Ben.

[ 09-07-2010: Message edited by: Maasdam ]

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 09-07-2010 04:32 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the addition to the crows nest is not bad, but then not the most handsome solution. She looks good.

Gr. Ben.

[ 09-07-2010: Message edited by: Maasdam ]

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 09-11-2010 06:39 PM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think they recognizing that these ships are flag wavers fore both there country's.

Well, I don't think so (with respect to QE). Queen Mary and the first Queen Elizabeth were, Canberra might have been (especially after 1982), and QEII also (ditto), but not this Queen Elizabeth.

Speaking as a Brit I really don't see any real connection between this ship and this country - it certainly doesn't represent it.

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 09-11-2010 08:24 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is this QE named after QE of 1940 (which was named after Queen Elizabeth-later the Queen Mother) or is it named after HM Queen Elizabeth II who will christen it?

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.