- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Oceania Cruises today announced its newest ship Allura will enter service one week earlier than scheduled. Due to join the fleet in summer 2025, her inaugural sailing will now depart Trieste, Italy, on July 18, 2025, cruising six days to Athens, Greece, calling at gems in the Eastern Mediterranean including Rijeka, Croatia; Ravenna, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; and Kotor, Montenegro...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line expects Carnival Pride to resume sailing from the Port of Baltimore on May 26, continuing the cruise line’s year-round homeport schedule.Carnival Pride is expected to arrive in Baltimore on May 26, following a week-long cruise that embarked in Norfolk, Va., where Carnival temporarily moved its Baltimore operations after the collapse of the Key Bridge...

Latest News...For the first time ever, Celebrity Edge, the ship that introduced the revolutionary outward-facing design, calls Alaska home for the summer. Today, Celebrity Edge will embark on her maiden sailing roundtrip from Seattle on a seven-night Dawes Glacier itinerary with stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Through its unique outward facing design, Celebrity Edge will offer guests...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Lunch on CARNIVAL FREEDOM

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lunch on CARNIVAL FREEDOM
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 07-17-2010 04:22 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's been a few years since I've been on Carnival, so when I was extended an invitation to tour CARNIVAL FREEDOM and have lunch onboard, I happily accepted.

The minute I stepped onboard I knew I was back on Carnival. It wasn't the decor, it was the smell. You see, Carnival ships have a certain smell and they have had this smell ever since I can remember. It's a great smell, one that instantly reminds me I am on a ship. It must be combination of their air conditioning, cleaning supplies, maybe even a little stale cigarette smoke, and who knows what else. It's very hard to explain, but the same smell just doesn't exist on other ships, only Carnival.

Anyone that knows me knows I am not a fan of the Conquest Class, and I'm still not. It's a poor layout and the ship seemed very crowded, even though many passengers had not boarded yet. The outdoor decks are wonderful and all teak, but the pools are so tiny and not very inviting looking. I was able to view a variety of cabins and they were all pleasant enough. Carnival has kept the peach walls and red carpet for many, many years now. None the less they are spacious and functional.

Ok, now for the best part. Lunch in the dining room was absolutely superb! I mean better than what I have experienced on Silversea and Princess Grill on Cunard. Service was top notch too. We started with a delicious appetizer of shrimp and salmon with fruit, then a spicy spaghetti dish, followed by perfect beef tornados that were like butter. They came with a wonderful pumpkin/cinnamon souffle and crisp vegetables. Finally a chocolate extravaganza for desert. A mini chocolate souffle along with raspberry sorbet and a flourless chocolate slice of something.

The wine poured freely and overall I could not have asked for a better lunch. I was just so impressed.

So am I rushing to book my next Carnival Cruise? Well no. I still didn't like the ship very much. It was typical Carnival which means rather dark and the whole ship feels kind of like a nightclub. The passengers? Well lets just say many were not folks you would see on Silversea or even Royal Caribbean for that matter. This is truly mass-market, but I will say one thing they will be well served and fed extremely well on CARNIVAL FREEDOM.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 07-17-2010 04:24 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, for a change a Carnival ship was sandwiched between two Royal Caribbean ships. Also in port today were OASIS OF THE SEAS and GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS.

Ernie

LaLa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5684

posted 07-17-2010 08:45 PM      Profile for LaLa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would hate to be in the same port as Oasis without being on the Oasis.
Posts: 132 | From: Delaware | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 07-17-2010 08:52 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LaLa:
I would hate to be in the same port as Oasis without being on the Oasis.

You have heard of penis envy? How about ship envy! LOL Of course it's almost double the price of CARNIVAL FREEDOM, but I think well worth it.

Ernie

LaLa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5684

posted 07-17-2010 08:56 PM      Profile for LaLa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

You have heard of penis envy? How about ship envy! LOL Of course it's almost double the price of CARNIVAL FREEDOM, but I think well worth it.

Ernie

that's what I was thinking but i didn't know how to word it! Lol

Posts: 132 | From: Delaware | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
GregD
First Class Passenger
Member # 4176

posted 07-18-2010 12:52 PM      Profile for GregD   Author's Homepage   Email GregD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thats the thing I've always liked about CCL was the food(well and the price ). I always had a great meal.(of course I've only done two cruises)
But Ernie, I completely know what you mean by the smell. I am surprised that it is only CCL ships that have that. I just kinda thought it was all ships. Interesting to know.

Posts: 548 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 07-18-2010 02:14 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GregD:

But Ernie, I completely know what you mean by the smell. I am surprised that it is only CCL ships that have that. I just kinda thought it was all ships. Interesting to know.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that recognizes this distinct "Carnival smell". Again, nothing bad and in fact I like it, but I don't smell it on any other line. When we approached the boarding door of CARNIVAL FREEDOM and the cold air was blowing out of the lobby onto the deck, I could instantly smell it and many memories came rushing into my head.

Older ships (like REGAL EMPRESS) also have a unique smell, but that is not what I'm talking about with Carnival. This smell is different, and even Carnival's newer ships (like FREEDOM) have this unique odor.

Ernie

[ 07-18-2010: Message edited by: eroller ]

Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 07-18-2010 02:21 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
THE SMELL. Oh I remember it well and yes it is only on Carnival. Hard to describe as it is a mix of smells.

I 100% agree with you about the Conquest class of ships. Haven't cruised Carnival in six years and have no plans unless the finally decide to build a new design that is interesting. The only class that I would cruise again would be the Spirit class. Interesting enough, I think that my overall best cruise on Carnival was many years ago on the Celebration out of Miami to the eastern Caribbean. Loved that little ship.

Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Frank X. Prudent
First Class Passenger
Member # 1723

posted 07-18-2010 04:46 PM      Profile for Frank X. Prudent   Email Frank X. Prudent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QB]
Ok, now for the best part. Lunch in the dining room was absolutely superb! I mean better than what I have experienced on Silversea and Princess Grill on Cunard. Service was top notch too. We started with a delicious appetizer of shrimp and salmon with fruit, then a spicy spaghetti dish, followed by perfect beef tornados that were like butter. They came with a wonderful pumpkin/cinnamon souffle and crisp vegetables. Finally a chocolate extravaganza for desert. A mini chocolate souffle along with raspberry sorbet and a flourless chocolate slice of something.

The wine poured freely and overall I could not have asked for a better lunch. I was just so impressed.

Ernie

My recent dining experience on the CARNIVAL IMAGINATION certainly did not compare to your experience. The word that I would use to describe the food during my family's June four night sailing is "pedestrian." Come to think of it, that word can be applied to other aspects of the cruise too.

Posts: 577 | From: Covington, Kentucky, U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 07-18-2010 05:07 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frank X. Prudent:

My recent dining experience on the CARNIVAL IMAGINATION certainly did not compare to your experience. The word that I would use to describe the food during my family's June four night sailing is "pedestrian." Come to think of it, that word can be applied to other aspects of the cruise too.

I have pretty much always enjoyed the food on Carnival (in the dining rooms), but I have to admit this lunch may not have been typical. The dining room was closed except for our particular group, and there was a special menu printed. Perhaps the food was actually from the speciality steakhouse restaurant? I don't know. I do know it's one of the best main dining room shipboard meals I have experienced. The steak was as good as anything I have had at Ruth Chris or Morton's and it was prepared perfectly. We had an excellent wait staff and never had to wait for anything.

I did just have a friend return from CARNIVAL FASCINATION out of Jacksonville. She mentioned she lost five pounds and felt the food was pretty much inedible. She looked at me like I was crazy when I spoke of how great my meal was on CARNIVAL FREEDOM.

Ernie

Frank X. Prudent
First Class Passenger
Member # 1723

posted 07-19-2010 02:11 AM      Profile for Frank X. Prudent   Email Frank X. Prudent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I have pretty much always enjoyed the food on Carnival (in the dining rooms), but I have to admit this lunch may not have been typical. The dining room was closed except for our particular group, and there was a special menu printed. Perhaps the food was actually from the speciality steakhouse restaurant? I don't know. I do know it's one of the best main dining room shipboard meals I have experienced. The steak was as good as anything I have had at Ruth Chris or Morton's and it was prepared perfectly. We had an excellent wait staff and never had to wait for anything.

I did just have a friend return from CARNIVAL FASCINATION out of Jacksonville. She mentioned she lost five pounds and felt the food was pretty much inedible. She looked at me like I was crazy when I spoke of how great my meal was on CARNIVAL FREEDOM.

Ernie

Yes,Ernie, I think that your stellar luncheon experience clearly was a special event for your group. What you described comes closer to what was served at dinner, and certainly not lunch. Tornedos of beef were not to be found on our brief trip, but the warm chocolate cake was a daily standard. Our waiter was good, but not excellent. He never once served the appetizer, soup, and salad in their proper order. Although he was really doing two jobs, as our busser was mostly AWOL during the cruise.

It was 10 years since I was last on the, what was then just IMAGINATION, and I have no great desire to return. Next year's family trip I think I will lobby for RCI again. The ironic thing is I pushed for Carnival this year, as I was hoping for better food than we had last year on MONARCH OF THE SEA.

[ 07-19-2010: Message edited by: Frank X. Prudent ]

Posts: 577 | From: Covington, Kentucky, U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 07-19-2010 09:40 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

It was 10 years since I was last on the, what was then just IMAGINATION, and I have no great desire to return. Next year's family trip I think I will lobby for RCI again. The ironic thing is I pushed for Carnival this year, as I was hoping for better food than we had last year on MONARCH OF THE SEA.

Frank,
I wonder if perhaps the food on the slightly longer Carnival cruises (7-day +) is somewhat better? All my Carnival cruises have pretty much been 7-days or longer, and on newer ships. The food has been very good on all of them. So far, the food complaints I'm hearing are on the older Fantasy Class, and on shorter cruises. I have no idea if there is any merit to this theory, it's just a thought.

Generally my experience has been that things are just not as nice or well organized on the shorter cruises when compared to 7-days or longer. Also the ships tend to be the oldest in the fleet as well. There is usually more wear and tear as embarking and disembarking thousands of passengers plus luggage every few days really takes its toll.

I'm sailing on NORWEGIAN SKY this Friday for a short 3-day cruise. I'm not expecting the food or service to be superb. I just don't think the crew is as invested in the effort because they know you are only there for three days. I always set my expectations a bit lower on a short cruise. The exception was Disney, where the waiter called us by name from the first night and everything was superb.

Ernie

Frank X. Prudent
First Class Passenger
Member # 1723

posted 07-19-2010 01:20 PM      Profile for Frank X. Prudent   Email Frank X. Prudent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree 100% with you, Ernie. Short cruises always seem to get glaring reviews from those onboard. The trips are usually full, with first timers, people with not much time or as much money to make a longer cruise, and many of the passengers squeezing every possible activity into 24 hours. They can be a bear on the crew.

I witnessed a hapless room steward for an inside four berth room on the CARNIVAL IMAGINATION being quized by one of the room's occupants where the roll-away bed goes. The steward was duly informed that the reservations office booked the room for five people. Just imagine making up that room.

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 07-19-2010 01:31 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I witnessed a hapless room steward for an inside four berth room on the CARNIVAL IMAGINATION being quized by one of the room's occupants where the roll-away bed goes. The steward was duly informed that the reservations office booked the room for five people. Just imagine making up that room.

Yes, something I don't like about Carnival. They will literally stick a roll-away bed in just about any cabin, then store it in the corridor during the day. Carnival also seems to have more room service trays laying around corridors than I have seen on any other cruise line.

Ernie

shipcafe
First Class Passenger
Member # 3959

posted 07-21-2010 03:00 PM      Profile for shipcafe   Author's Homepage   Email shipcafe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Ernie

Between this quote and the comment on Nautica's "nightlife" photo on a different thread, you've got me LMAO today!

Posts: 314 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 07-21-2010 03:47 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shipcafe:

Between this quote and the comment on Nautica's "nightlife" photo on a different thread, you've got me LMAO today!

I'm glad I could bring a smile to your face! :-)

Ernie

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.