- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » amazing.... Azura (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: amazing.... Azura
buddhaJoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 4356

posted 03-29-2010 06:27 AM      Profile for buddhaJoe   Email buddhaJoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hi there

it still amazes me how people can write pages full of
any new development regarding some non subjects
or whatever and that the delivery of a NEW cruiseship is completely ignored at all

it's only a ship of 116.000 tons carrying
some 3100 passengers for some unknown company
as P & O (never heard of it before)
costs estimated on 535m USD

people will say, oh just another clone of the
Grand class, not interesting why bother

i wonder if even cruisepage.com will get it
in their news section

to me it is relevant, may-be not so much the ship
rather than the continous growth P & O is making
since the Carnival take over
to me P & O was more or less 2 ships
(Canberra, Oriana) (Oriana 2 , Aurora)
how far these days are gone

to have a fleet consisting 7 ships and selling
it at not real bargain prices isn't it???

there must be some wealthy Britons left at all

best regards
b. Joe

Posts: 366 | From: De Goorn, small village in The Netherlands | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 03-29-2010 07:58 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Joe

I agree

We have her on our website !

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
elad
First Class Passenger
Member # 5150

posted 03-29-2010 08:01 AM      Profile for elad   Email elad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Joe!

Well i find the new AZURA as very important. its true that her sister Ventura recived more focus

Generally, and I dont know why, it seems to me that P&O dont get the amount of fucus which is expected to get....

Elad

Posts: 747 | From: israel | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 03-29-2010 08:35 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I will be on that ship a matter of months now (closer to weeks)

I dont think P&O gets much attention because it caters to the British market and also Australia/New Zealand. It is one of the few lines that does not cater to the US market, does not operate in US dollars and does not operate out of US ports. All other major cruise lines operate or cater to Americans with a few exceptions.

Personally I like the Grand class ships. I am not a fan of the extra deck and extra passengers but I still like the ships.

Posts: 1055 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 03-29-2010 08:58 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On Feb 28 I posted a track of Azura's sea trials, and on March 5th a post of her Caribbean deployment, neither of which garnered any replies. I think the general consensus that a new clone is not worthy of coverage seems dominant here at CT sometimes. I posted a lead thread on the Celebrity Eclipse's floatout (the 3rd Solstice class) and the Disney Dream under construction to stimulate conversation because I wasn't sure anyone else would. I also posted threads of almost every single P&O ship transitting the Panama Canal. P&O is one of the few 'foreign' cruise lines I would cruise in a heartbeat!  

There does appear to be little interest in Azura maybe because she is a sister to Ventura and most considered her externally uninteresting. That and the fact that P&O is not a US market ship doesn't help either. 

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 03-29-2010 11:29 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
1. It is another clone - and worse a clone of ship that has been so messed around with design wise over the years that it is now really yuk IMHO. A clone of a clone of a clone of a clone of the original. Grand - Caribbean - Crown - Ventura - Azura.

2. P&O gained a certain reputation over the last 180 years or so, both Ventura and Azura are fundementally a different product from what most P&O people remember - again (as a shareholder and ex P&O staff) if they had created a specific brand for these ships (like they did for OV) then perhaps some might be more interested, for many it is simply more evidence of a line we now have less in common with.

3. Oh yes- bring on the mesh funnel ! They couldn't even be bothered to give her (or Ventura) a P&O funnel.

4. Decor - sorry again just my taste but the interiors of both these ships is so bland and so 3 star hotel in places it is just awful and nothing like what P&O is supposed to stand for. That said it does have its highlights like the Metropolitan bar etc - its just most of it is very City Lodge / the latest version of Holiday Inn Express.

5. However it should be applauded for having single cabins - why however do they only get a single bed ? Even Epic gives them a double. I do applaud that she will make Carnival lots of cash.

6. In summary this vessel is such a mish mash of others and other ideas and is trying to appeal to every single market segment all in one package - it does not appeal.

Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
H.M.S.Bonaventure
First Class Passenger
Member # 17509

posted 03-29-2010 12:11 PM      Profile for H.M.S.Bonaventure   Email H.M.S.Bonaventure   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe it is also the fact that there are those of us who are hung up on anything RCI or NCL do/say and dont take into account that there are other cruise line companies/ships out there. I happen to like the exterior/interior of the Ventura. Unfortunately I live in North America and at this time do not have access to P and O.
Posts: 13 | From: Toronto, Ontario Canada | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 03-29-2010 12:57 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well I guess I am no more excited about Azura's entry into service than I was about the 3rd or 4th Vista from HAL. Or the next Destiny derivative from Costa. Even the new Nieuw Amsterdam and Queen Elizabeth look pretty boring. I guess I am awaiting the new Disney Dream for some visual interest.
Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 03-29-2010 02:01 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
People aren't talking to much about her because shes boring. She is next in a long line of these ships.
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-29-2010 02:39 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
P&O have a very 'hard core' following in Britain as well as those who think they are overpriced and mediocre.

How can one get excited about Azura and Queen Lizzy when they are not only from a long line of clones, they are clones of Ventura and Queen Victoria.

Love em or hate em, the likes of Oasis, Epic and the Solstice class are much more worthy of excitement.

[ 03-29-2010: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-29-2010 08:45 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
P&O have a very 'hard core' following in Britain as well as those who think they are overpriced and mediocre.

How can one get excited about Azura and Queen Lizzy when they are not only from a long line of clones, they are clones of Ventura and Queen Victoria.

Love em or hate em, the likes of Oasis, Epic and the Solstice class are much more worthy of excitement.

[ 03-29-2010: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Well said Malcolm. It's great that P&O is getting a new ship, but it's not exactly a ship to get all in a tizzy over. It's another Grand Class and aren't there enough of these already? Perhaps not but IMO the world does not need another Grand Class.

I think once you get past the prototype, the excitement wears off. Lets face it, new ships are a dime a dozen these days. We got excited over SOLSTICE, but not so much over the sisters in the Solstice class. ALLURE wont get the same buzz as OASIS because we already know what to expect. Same with QE, the next Costa and Aida newbuilds. Nothing new.

EPIC and DISNEY DREAM are next in line for the spotlight, because they are completely new and innovative. Perhaps the new Princess newbuilds will be deserving of the spotlight too, if we discover they are more than a Grand Class on steroids ... although I'm not holding my breath.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 03-30-2010 01:34 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernie

I agree with you to a certain extent (well mostly).

Sure use a common platform it makes huge sense and indeed enables to a large extent the growth in numbers of ships etc. However it is entirely possible to use an operational common platform but do something very different with it internally and product wise at minimal cost.

So often it appears that the only difference is a coat of paint. Ventura and Azura don't even get their own funnel design !

I have to say having cruised a few Grand Class I didn't really enjoy them as much as others, I can't really place a finger on it but one thing I really dislike is the staggered balconies that afford almost no privacy at all. That and the interior spaces feel very small, there is often little connection to the outside due to the placement of stages etc and on some there is significant vibration due to poor design.

Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 03-30-2010 02:58 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For some reason P&O has changed and is not sticking to its style like it always used to.

Compare it to Princess for example. Princess has designed their ships and maintained the same products for years - yet they have also evolved to the modern style of cruising to include the MUTs and The Sacntuary. It is un unwritten rule for a Princess ship not to have its hallmark features like a Wheelhouse Bar etc. Princess has maintained its tradition whilst innovating to modern cruising at the same time.

On the other hand P&O has not. Oriana and Aurora are much the same ships and were derrived from the old Canberra. P&O has evolved since then and adapted to new things, but for some inexplicable and unknown reason they have not maintained their traditional features as Princess did.

I am not sure if it is Carnival being too tight with its budget not allowing P&O to redesign an entire interior of a ship to its style, but since the introduction of Oceana they have constantly changed style. The new Arcadia is was built as a Cunard ship and still has allot of the features that were desinged for Cunard. The Grand class they got is pretty much the same as the Princess ships with no changes.

I will be on Azura soon for a Baltic cruise I have always wanted to do and intend to enjoy it. I see it as "killing two birds with the one stone" see the Baltic and find out what their new ship is really like.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-30-2010 06:20 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sutho:
I will be on Azura soon for a Baltic cruise I have always wanted to do and intend to enjoy it. I see it as "killing two birds with the one stone" see the Baltic and find out what their new ship is really like.

A wonderful itinerary on any ship!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 03-30-2010 07:28 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh I cant wait for this trip. I have a few days in Portsmouth when I arrive to explore the Maritime museums and city. I have a bus tour around England and Scotland before the cruise. It is an itinerary I have wanted to do for years. I have even bought new camera equipment and lenses for the trip. Tours are all booked and with a bit of luck there will be extra time in some ports for do it yourself exploring.
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-30-2010 09:47 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sutho:
Oh I cant wait for this trip. I have a few days in Portsmouth when I arrive to explore the Maritime museums and city.

The 'Warrior', 'HMS Victory' and the Mary Rose are well worth a look. The Gosport Submarine Museum, a short ferry ride from the 'Historic Dockyard' is also pretty good.

www.historicdockyard.co.uk

The 'Spinnaker Tower' offers nice views of the solent.

www.spinnakertower.co.uk

[ 03-30-2010: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 03-30-2010 10:28 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, lots to comment-on here.

Is Azura newsworthy? Well, as others have said, not as newsworthy as Ventura was a year ago. Also this has been a good year for (fleeting) visits to the UK by interesting cruise ships: we had Equinoxe actually embarking a cruise, then Oasis of the Seas came quite close.... So I'm afraid that Azura is indeed a bit ho-hum. Which is a pity, because there are quite a few good things about her. First among these must be the single cabins. I know Fred Olsen have been retro-fitting them to their ships for a while, but this may be the first such cabins on a new ship? Second must be the fact that this is a testament to the health of P&O. I haven't been cruising long enough to remember the Good Old days, but I'm impressed with P&O's efforts to be almost a one-stop shop for UK cruisers.

I looked very hard at Azura itineraries both for this year and next, but they don't seem to be quite interesting enough and P&O are certainly charging a premium for her over Ventura, so we're cruising on the latter ship both this year and next. I'm beginning to like P&O more & more. We were on Solstice last year, but for next year we've definitely chosen P&O over Celebrity. Among our reasons for this are the fact that we've found a cracking Ventura itinerary; and on-board expenditure will be a lot less on Ventura than on Eclipse. Drink prices on the Celebrity ships are very high, even before the obligatory 15%; and I'm also upset by the fact that they don't use measures on Celebrity ships; you buy a glass of indeterminate size (whatever the waiter feels like pouring). Once or twice in the dining room on Solstice I felt a bit short-changed when I bought wine by the glass. On P&O you buy a standard measure - 175ml or 250ml in the case of wine.

Let me finish by coming back to a big advantage we decided Azura, Ventura and the rest of the Grand class have over the Solstice class. There are certainly some stunning locations on the Solstice class - that 12-deck atrium with a tree in mid-air; the double-height main dining room; the lawn club; and so on. But we decided that one effect all these places had was to pull your attention away from the sea; the main attractions, as it were, are all internal. Add to that the sorry excuse for a promenade deck, side-only, obstructed vision and all, and we definitely felt cut off from the sea. Let me give you a concrete example. When we were on Ventura in 2008, one of the things we always enjoyed doing was walking around the Promenade deck, and especially the stern passage, where you can lean over the rail and really get the smell, the sound and the sight of the wake. You just can't do that on the Solstice class - the external promenade doesn't extend round the stern. The closest external location from where you can even get a clear view of the wake is from the Oceanview Bar on the Lido deck; and not only is that 11 or 12 decks up, thanks to the angle of the aft section it's 20 or 20 yards forward of the stern as well. Not the same at all!

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-30-2010 11:31 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Burke:
I'm beginning to like P&O more & more. We were on Solstice last year, but for next year we've definitely chosen P&O over Celebrity.

If my memory serves me right you have gone 'full-circle' Tom - no shame in that. Was your first cruise not 'Costa(?)' or 'MSC(?)' because you did not relish the idea of cruising with fellow Brits? Are you now joining the 'Socks and Sandals' brigade, or is Ventura more the 'Ugg Boot' brigade?

Next you will be booking cruises with the maximum number of sea days!

How about Cunard next, a sort of 'British' (well Anglo-American) Celebrity.

By the way, Epic must be the first mega-ship to announce single cabins (the studios) but they were originally designed and promoted as doubles.

[ 03-30-2010: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-30-2010 01:54 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the lack of excitement is nothing new. When Titanic was introduced, did'nt White Star release stats to the press to stir up interest in her? Olympic apparently received all the news stories the year before while Titanic was nothing new.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-31-2010 06:04 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At least on the inside, AZURE looks nothing like your typical, bland, Grand Class. In these few pics I really like what I see. Stylish and contemporary. I look forward to seeing more.

Ernie

AZURE Pics

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-31-2010 06:21 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting Ernie.

The Atrium looks rather 'American' to me.

avalon1025
First Class Passenger
Member # 5383

posted 03-31-2010 07:31 PM      Profile for avalon1025   Email avalon1025   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Funny, I thought the atrium looked rather "English", in the spirit of One Aldwych.
Posts: 331 | From: West Hollywood | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-31-2010 09:32 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
Thanks for posting Ernie.

The Atrium looks rather 'American' to me.

Last I checked I am American, so perhaps that is why I like it?

Sure beats the Olive Garden "Italian" Piazza atrium on the Princess Grand Class ships.

Ernie

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 04-05-2010 09:53 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From Shipspotting.
Gibraltar, 4th April 2010, Passing through The Straits of Gibraltar early this evening. By Giovanni Romero

AZURA

[ 04-05-2010: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 04-05-2010 01:09 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting that the stack is white and buff like Ventura's was, not like it currently is..
Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.