- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Epic cost overrun

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Epic cost overrun
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 03-24-2010 10:43 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From another site:

STX France reported a cost overrun related to the construction of NCL's Norwegian Epic that could range from 15m to 20m EUROS ($20m to $27m) for the St. Nazaire yard. The builder said every effort is being made to manage the overrun and that it has a solid working capital position, and the funding of such cost overrun will be managed from the existing working capital

See what the cost of that "Block House " added. LOL

Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 03-24-2010 11:11 AM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Story is also at the top of this page under Cruise News...
Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 03-24-2010 04:04 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is one ship that STX will be happy to see leave the yard. Nothing but headaches since the beginning.
Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 03-24-2010 07:47 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At Sea Trade with Ernie and Rich, we all looked at side by side models of the Oasis and the Epic.

The Oasis looks like it was designed by a team with a leader where each member knew his role, the goals, performed it, and a totally integrated design resulted.

The Epic looks like it was designed by a committee where everyone was in charge, yet nobody responsible, a horse trade of features, where the arms did not know or care what the legs were doing. It is the most unbalanced and disjointed design since the 1960 Oriana.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-24-2010 09:17 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:

The Epic looks like it was designed by a committee where everyone was in charge, yet nobody responsible, a horse trade of features, where the arms did not know or care what the legs were doing. It is the most unbalanced and disjointed design since the 1960 Oriana.

Sounds like the design of many GM cars from the 1980s and 90s.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aussie1
First Class Passenger
Member # 25

posted 03-24-2010 10:23 PM      Profile for Aussie1   Email Aussie1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Since the Oriana of 1960? She was one of the most stunning and attractive ships of her era designed by a team in total unity under the direction of Charles Morris. I've just spend many hours scanning slides of her exterior, deck areas and interiors and she is simply lovely. Not everyone takes to her looks immediately but the hull is as sweet as they come and the superstructure actually looks quite sleek compared to much of what is coming out today.
Posts: 493 | From: Sydney,NSW, Australia | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 03-24-2010 11:12 PM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the guys in Turku are sitting in their offices laughing about this after delivering Oasis and likely Allure early and under budget. I'd think they would have adjusted the contract enough during the renegotiation phase (after the second was canceled, and the first changed) in order to ensure they would not lose more money. Anyone know if the financial loss is due to the ship yards own actions or more trouble from NCL's mess? It would be a shame for the yard to lose all this money for something out of their doing.
Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-24-2010 11:37 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aussie1:
Since the Oriana of 1960? She was one of the most stunning and attractive ships.

Well she did have a beautiful hull, a sleek and modern bridgefront, gorgeous aft gallery windows and the elegant curved steelwork under her boatdeck was the best! The rest of her exterior was love it or hate it.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aussie1
First Class Passenger
Member # 25

posted 03-25-2010 02:20 AM      Profile for Aussie1   Email Aussie1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The old Oriana also had lovely and expansive teak covered open decks and three pools in their own neat deck areas with a nice mix of shaded and open space. The other thing that made her special was that she was the fastest liner ever built for a service outside the Atlantic, a genuine greyhound. I do have to say that her exterior has taken time to in my mind transform from being bold and powerful but quirky to being one of my favorite pieces of 1950's/60's naval architecture.
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 03-25-2010 07:35 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Aussie 1

ss Oriana set new records for the fastest crossing of both the Pacific and Indian Oceans, at speeds in excess of 27.5 knots, which to this day have not been beaten by another passenger/cruise ship !

With regard to her decks, her covered promenade deck was like the one on the ss ' The Oceanic ' which is now the Japanese Peace Boat.

She was a great ship to the end and even when reports from Dalain, China, said she had sunk in a storm, it proved wrong and she was only partly submerged.

Unfortunately the interior water damage was too great for her to be refitted again as a museum with other facilities.

Having been partly submerged for about 10 months, it was possible to patch up her hull, where it had been holed through hitting something on the harbour floor, and pump out all the water.

This resulted in her being towed in an upright position to the breakers yard.

I have always considered I was lucky to sail on her for about her last ten years in service with P & O.

Even on her final cruise when crossing the Tasman Sea from Auckland to Sydney, she again cruised at 27.5 knots for part of that trip.

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 03-25-2010 07:12 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting, the modern Oasis is a Canberra descent: a complex machine with a graceful integrated form.

Epic is the modern Oriana: a complicated machine with a haphazard and disjointed form.

I do not doubt the Oriana's engineering as a seaboat, nor the quality of the workmanship, or the grace of her public rooms.

Canberra's beauty stops you in your tracks, Oriana not so much.

From the air, Oasis is very interesting where Epic is chaotic.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aussie1
First Class Passenger
Member # 25

posted 03-26-2010 01:47 AM      Profile for Aussie1   Email Aussie1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oriana when built was a two class ship and both classes were very well designed, not disjointed in any way. When she became one class however she never had the wonderful flow Canberra had when only the small Tourist Class cabins and non wood panelled starways gave the old Tourist Class away. However I think comparing Oriana to Oasis is a slur on Oriana, she was a brilliant ship from every standpoint and most people who travelled in both Oraian and Canberra rank Oriana as the better ship.
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-26-2010 07:58 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who pays for the overrun?

It will be interesting to see if Epic's introduction into service is as flawless as Oasis's.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Matts
First Class Passenger
Member # 4120

posted 04-04-2010 11:56 AM      Profile for Matts     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Isn't Epic already about the most expensive (per berth) mass market ship built? When the 2nd was cancelled and the price of the first increased she became really pricey. The interesting thing is NCL are in profit now, EPIC has generated a buzz. I wonder if, whilst prices are depressed, they will go for a further newbuild - EPIC2? - or even something again completely different.

What happened to the bits of EPIC's sister? Are they about to become MSC Favalosa?

Posts: 829 | From: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 04-04-2010 03:56 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matts:
I wonder if, whilst prices are depressed, they will go for a further newbuild - EPIC2? - or even something again completely different.

I don't think we will see a second EPIC. Many will give thanks that she will be one of a kind. Personally I find that kind of uniqueness utterly attractive. I feel the same way about QM2. I am happy there is only one. These days it's so unusual to have just one ship built. Usually there are endless clones and derivatives.

NCL's executive management has stated that future newbuilds will probably be between the size of EPIC and the Star Class of ships.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-04-2010 08:22 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

NCL's executive management has stated that future newbuilds will probably be between the size of EPIC and the Star Class of ships.

Is that an omission that she's too big, too expensive or maybe just too difficult?

If she's a big sucess why not build another it would probably be cheaper this time around. Of course if the food and service 'sucks' they will struggle to fill her. It could go either way as far as I'm concerned.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 04-04-2010 09:10 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

Is that an omission that she's too big, too expensive or maybe just too difficult?

If she's a big sucess why not build another it would probably be cheaper this time around. Of course if the food and service 'sucks' they will struggle to fill her. It could go either way as far as I'm concerned.

I'm thinking the overall cost of EPIC is pretty exorbitant. I don't really see anything earth shattering about the basic design, so I can't imagine the difficulty of construction is anymore complex than other ships.

I hope NCL can pull off the software to go with the hardware. After her introduction I don't want to see posts like "EPIC Blunder". Many will compare her OASIS, and RCI did a pretty flawless job with OASIS. Almost everyone that sails OASIS raves about her, and everyone comments how uncrowded she feels and the lack of lines. That is by no means an accident or coincidence. RCI spent a lot of time and $$ to design an uncrowded ship and build up the infrastructure surrounding her. It remains to be seen if NCL can pull off the same. I sure hope so.

Ernie

DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 04-05-2010 12:34 AM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

I'm thinking the overall cost of EPIC is pretty exorbitant. I don't really see anything earth shattering about the basic design, so I can't imagine the difficulty of construction is anymore complex than other ships.

I hope NCL can pull off the software to go with the hardware. After her introduction I don't want to see posts like "EPIC Blunder". Many will compare her OASIS, and RCI did a pretty flawless job with OASIS. Almost everyone that sails OASIS raves about her, and everyone comments how uncrowded she feels and the lack of lines. That is by no means an accident or coincidence. RCI spent a lot of time and $$ to design an uncrowded ship and build up the infrastructure surrounding her. It remains to be seen if NCL can pull off the same. I sure hope so.

Ernie

She does have the benefit that everyone will also compare her to the Carnival Dream. Oasis, Epic, and Dream seem to go together in most conversations. As of now the Dream has had a pretty disastrous start and the Oasis has been a near flawless start. A few months ago I would have bet money on the Epic being worse than the others but now I'm beginning to think she'll be more in the middle. Not sure how she could get down the the Dream's level but don't think the Oasis's level is even plausible for NCL.

Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-05-2010 02:31 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by eroller:

I had assumes it's because NCL changed their design requirements at a late stage in the building process? Maybe some of the public rooms were redesigned?

NCL still regularly mess-up with their exiting ships in terms of food and service, they are INCONSISTENT at best!

I can't believe the 'Pride of America' still gets quite a fair number of bad to mediocre reviews - they seem incapable of rectifying that product.

Let's not forget Epic started out with trendy Studio cabins for couples (240 pax) which they had to turn into single cabins (120 pax). That represents a loss of income and the 'Living Room' (now the 'Studio Lounge') will attract half the passengers it was designed for, which will impact on its revenue generation. They clearly made these cabins too small and could not sell them to couples!

I note that Oasis has yet to have any major u-turns.

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 04-05-2010 02:49 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by eroller:
[qb]

I note that Oasis has yet to have any major u-turns.

The only major hurdle OASIS has faced is the Aqua Theater. The shows have proved challenging and there may be some changes in the design for ALLURE. None the less it's a huge success and most of the passengers are unaware of the challenges. Also, the Aqua Pool was supposed to be open to passengers for swimming during the day, and to my knowledge this has not happened yet.

The only other hurdle is with Falmouth Jamaica. It's not ready. I don't know if RCI can be blamed for this. St. Thomas was not ready either, but thankfully they found a suitable temporary alternative. RCI had to make an arrangement with Princess Cruises to use their dock in St. Thomas. How much RCI is paying Princess is anyones guess. Enough that even if a Princess ship is in port with OASIS, OASIS will be the ship to dock at that particular pier.

Ernie

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.