- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Balmoral and Boudicca in the snow (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Balmoral and Boudicca in the snow
Aad
First Class Passenger
Member # 6674

posted 12-20-2009 09:23 AM      Profile for Aad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Today Balmoral and Boudicca are in Amsterdam. As it is snowing very heavy they are in real winter wonder Amsterdam.

I received 3 pictures from one of the Duty managers.

Posts: 290 | From: Spijkenisse Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 12-20-2009 10:11 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is definitely breaking the common idea of cruising in Winter! What do cruise passengers do in Amsterdam in that kind of bad Winter weather? The only time I made it to Amsterdam was late spring and the weather was perfect for bike riding and strolling the streets and canals. We took a boat tour, hit the Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank House, the tulip fields, and the Heineken Tour.
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
buddhaJoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 4356

posted 12-20-2009 10:35 AM      Profile for buddhaJoe   Email buddhaJoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hi there

sorry you are so negative

to witness the inner city of amsterdam in white conditions is like a true postcard, those visitors today are extremely lucky

you better see for yourself, if you 'll ever have the chance

(we hardly do, as i lived there for 18 years)

so please first think before making this kind of remarks...

best regards,
b. Joe

[ 12-20-2009: Message edited by: buddhaJoe ]

Posts: 366 | From: De Goorn, small village in The Netherlands | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 12-20-2009 12:57 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by buddhaJoe:
why you question what people do on
winter X-mas cruise to Amsterdam???

what you do when the wind is blowing and
some snow is falling??

I really don't know why people take a Christmas Cruise/Winter Cruise to Amsterdam. Really! That's is why I asked. What special Christmas/Winter activities are there? Indoor or otherwise. Shopping, sightseeing? It would be nice for details instead of critisism. It might make ME want to go there in Winter, who knows?

During THIS recent snow storm I haven't been out of the house in 2 days. Maybe up there you love this kind of weather? Here we tolerate it.

[ 12-21-2009: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 12-20-2009 01:51 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow, I didn't find those remarks negative. I found it more as a "question" and a good one at that. Some folks are just too touchy.
Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 12-20-2009 02:10 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atlcruiser:
Wow, I didn't find those remarks negative. I found it more as a "question" and a good one at that. Some folks are just too touchy.

Thank You!

And it was just a question. Since Aad mentioned it was 'snowing very hard', I simply asked what do cruise ship passengers do in such bad weather. Reports showed the winds blowing 15-20mph and a windchill below freezing. Simple enough. No offense intended. In the first picture it looks like the snow was blowing sideways!

At least the respondent could have done was answer the question before beating me up? What do they do in this kind of weather.

bcscot
First Class Passenger
Member # 22351

posted 12-20-2009 02:16 PM      Profile for bcscot        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The same as they do in Scotland: stay by the fireside & drink something that warms the body & soul!

Graham.

Posts: 266 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 12-20-2009 04:34 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wonderful, I would love to be there.

We have lots of snow here (about two feet) but home is less interesting.

Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Karsten
First Class Passenger
Member # 1509

posted 12-20-2009 07:09 PM      Profile for Karsten   Author's Homepage   Email Karsten   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I cannot see here something negativ ... I was in Southampton in July, mostly raining.. I also asked: what to do then? But it was a real question and nothing against the city ... you cannot change the climate
Posts: 875 | From: NRW/Germany | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 12-20-2009 07:17 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I also saw this about the Boudicca:

Cruise liner struck down by norovirus

bcscot
First Class Passenger
Member # 22351

posted 12-20-2009 07:50 PM      Profile for bcscot        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that the Boudicca & Black Watch are nice looking ships, with a good pedigree. There is a lovely model of the Black Watch on board, which shows her to have even better proportions when you see what is under the water line.

They are also quite intricate in their design, with lots of different areas & levels of deck to explore, more so than the Saga Sisters. I would like to sail on Boudicca. I am not sure to what extent she differs from Black Watch. Some people on Black Watch said that they prefered her to Boudicca.

Graham.

[ 12-20-2009: Message edited by: bcscot ]

Posts: 266 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
buddhaJoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 4356

posted 12-21-2009 06:53 AM      Profile for buddhaJoe   Email buddhaJoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well hi there again,

i m not beating you up, if i did sorry

but nevertheless first THINK

some snow is falling??

why do people come to Amsterdam anyway??

i replied that a white Amsterdam is a VERY SPECIAL
and beautiful occasion, one NOT to be missed

there are lots of indoor activities to be seen
so if the weather is too cold for comfort a
visit is always rewarding...

best regards,
b.Joe

[ 12-21-2009: Message edited by: buddhaJoe ]

Posts: 366 | From: De Goorn, small village in The Netherlands | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 12-21-2009 07:06 AM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dougnewman:
Wonderful, I would love to be there.

We have lots of snow here (about two feet) but home is less interesting.

I had permission to visit Boudicca, but due to the weather we decided not to go. The roads were terrible and trains were cancelled.
There was a negative travel advice : If you don't have to go, than don't go !

So our visit is now portphoned till next time when Boudicca calls again in Amsterdam and the weather will allow us to go down to Amsterdam.

Willem

Posts: 1469 | From: In the namesake city of Cape Hoorn. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 12-21-2009 08:18 AM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With this weather, best to find a cozy, warm seat next to a window. Have a nice drink and watch the cold, windy weather from the comfort of the inside.
Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 12-21-2009 02:08 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

i replied that a white Amsterdam is a VERY SPECIAL
and beautiful occasion, one NOT to be missed

some snow is falling??

I really dont know why people take a Christmas/Winter cruise to Amsterdam. Really! Thats why I asked. What special Christmas/Winter activites are there? Sightseeing, shopping? What makes it so special? lI don't know. Maybe if I got answers instead of criticism it might make me want to go there during this holiday.

During THIS last winter storm I didnt leave the house for 2 days. Maybe you guys like this kind of weather up there? We pretty much just tolerate it.

buddhaJoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 4356

posted 12-21-2009 03:05 PM      Profile for buddhaJoe   Email buddhaJoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hi there,

sorry, you really don't know?

for the same reason people go to N.Y.
London, Tokyo...

to spell it out that means for most people shopping and sightseeing...

what is so special? i told you twice.. we celebrate
when we get snow... we rarely get this much
and only once in every 15 years we have a white X-mas

i saw your lovely photos of your city, to me
it looks very nice indeed...

and yes, there are people who don't like these conditions
(i think of Willem and my wife)
but i go out and make long walks enjoying the scenery very much

i still find it very very hard to believe
that you don't understand why Saga, Cunard, P&O and Fred Olsen are selling X-mas cruises....
(may-be because they are British orientated??)

good luck

reards,
b. Joe

Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 12-21-2009 03:56 PM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
sorry Willem,

you clearly never lived in Amsterdam

what you are saying is just ridiculous
what we call a provinciaaltje who
does NOT really know what the city is about

and no, i'm not born there and have no connection to the city, i like the inner city of Hoorn just as much...

it's just 30 miles on a freeway to Amsterdam,
so there was no reason to cancel your trip...

best regards,
b. Joe

Sorry Joe, but although I am living in Hoorn, that does not mean that I am a 'provinciaaltje' :-(

And I indeed never lived in Amsterdam. You cannot expect from a Rotterdammer to live in Amsterdam.
I just worked there as my employer in 1977 decided to close the Rotterdam office and they wanted me in Amsterdam.

And yes, there were reasons enough to cancel our trip to Amsterdam.
It seems that you did not listen to the radio and did not hear the negative travel advices.
I myself do not have a driverslicence so we had to travel with our daughter and son-in-law and they were just cautius enough to stay at home, following the travel advice.

Most of the trains were cancelled ! Just like today ! !

I do like snow, but I do not like the frozen ground below the snow as for seniors it is very dangerous to fall.

Maybe you do not understand why we cancelled the trip to Amsterdam, but the people at Fred Olsen, who invited us, did understand it very well.

So Joe, you have to think more than twice before calling someone a 'provinciaaltje' !

What about De Goorn ? ? ?

Posts: 1469 | From: In the namesake city of Cape Hoorn. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 12-21-2009 04:02 PM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

what is so special? i told you twice.. we celebrate
when we get snow... we rarely get this much
and only once in every 15 years we have a white X-mas

reards,
b. Joe

Joe, you have to read the papers and watched television about the celebration of getting snow

It is a complete mess on the roads and highways.
More than half of the trains are not running and people are waiting long times at the stations and hope to get home before midnight.

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 12-21-2009 05:14 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I give up...
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 12-21-2009 05:54 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
W/freezing conditions across Europe, the chunnel train out-of-service due to the snow and the US northeast under deep of snow, it's beginning to feel like an old fashioned white Christmas! Maybe we are actually getting colder?
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tim Agg
First Class Passenger
Member # 3185

posted 12-21-2009 11:37 PM      Profile for Tim Agg     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think a number of short winter cruises operate out of the UK targetted to pre-Christmas shopping....I'd be happy to spend time in Amsterdam in the winter for art mueums, ballet and music - but that requires a lot more time than a cruise ship's day call.
Posts: 365 | From: Vancouver BC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
oslo dutch
First Class Passenger
Member # 4669

posted 12-22-2009 03:25 AM      Profile for oslo dutch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
I give up...

Don't worry, the Dutch always love to complain about things even if they enjoyed it :-)

This pre Christmas cruising seems to be getting on quite well. We had Queen Victoria in Oslo the other week. And it was great seeing QE2 here two years ago.
Just see it as a floating hotel going to city to city with lots of shopping opportunities. Hamburg, Oslo, Amsterdam etc etc. I think Aurora started it when she became available pre Christmas due to a cancelled dry dock. so they did something innovative for a change :-)

Posts: 349 | From: Oslo | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
buddhaJoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 4356

posted 12-22-2009 03:41 AM      Profile for buddhaJoe   Email buddhaJoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hi Wilem,

people in De Goorn are provinciaal as well
or farmers,,

yes i fully understand your reasons for cancelling

next time you can call me and i take you there
safely, no problem

(as for the foreigners here, we only live 10 minute driving apart)

regards
b. Joe

[ 12-22-2009: Message edited by: buddhaJoe ]

Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 12-22-2009 05:38 AM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well Joe, to be short, I do know enough about life in Amsterdam and other big cities.
Don't forget I spent the whole day during more than 25 years working in the center of the city (Spuistraat, Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal, Herengracht, Frederiksplein). Indeed. most of the time I rushed for my train, but it happened quite often I spent some time in the city after work with my collegues.

Most of the younger foreigners are coming to Amsterdam to get drugs, which you cannot deny ! !
As you might know, Amsterdam is worldfamous for the Red Light district and the drugsstores.
You don't realise how often I had to show the way to the Wallen.
As for cruisepassengers I can tell you that you will meet a lot of them on the Wallen, as they say you have to see the girsl in the windows by yourselves.

So, it is very unrealistic to call me a 'provinciaal'!
By the way, who are 'we' ? ? ?
And why do you call inhabitants of De Goorn 'stupid farmers' ? ? Why ? ? ? ? You do not have any respect to them nor other people

Have you been on the A7 on Sundaymorning ? ?
Have you seen the snowfall on Sundaymorning ? ?
My daughter did and she did follow the advice for not to go if one does not have to go !
Just using common sense ! !

The trainproblems are caused by the many points (wissels) in the tracks. That is not only a Dutch problem but happens in other countries too !

I think this discussion can be closed. I don't agree with you and you does not agree with me.

buddhaJoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 4356

posted 12-22-2009 05:58 AM      Profile for buddhaJoe   Email buddhaJoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hi Willem,

you only see and believe what you want to see and believe

your view on Amsterdam is so different than
most people who live there

but yes, some people can't see beyond
the red lights and coffeeshops...

i was out on sundaymorning and afternoon, it
wasn't that bad...

but as i said before, next time i bring
you from your doorstep to the PTA...

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.