- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » RCI Appoints Seven Godmothers for Oasis

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RCI Appoints Seven Godmothers for Oasis
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 11-18-2009 07:26 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pretty impressive lineup! I think it's cool Gloria Estefan will once again be a Godmother for Royal Caribbean.

Ernie

---------------------------------------------------

Royal Caribbean International Appoints Seven Godmothers for Oasis of the Seas

An Unprecedented Assembly of Performers, Olympians, Philanthropists and Actors to Preside Over Seven Neighborhoods on the World's Largest and Most Revolutionary Cruise Ship

MIAMI, Nov. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- When Royal Caribbean International officially names its newest cruise ship, Oasis of the Seas, on Monday, Nov. 30, 2009, the global cruise line will continue its tradition of innovation by putting a new twist on one of maritime's longest standing traditions. While normally bestowing the honor of godmother on one special person, Royal Caribbean has chosen seven extraordinary godmothers to represent the seven signature neighborhoods onboard Oasis of the Seas. Each of the seven godmothers was chosen because they personify strength of character, exemplify the spirit of giving, and are role models for men, women and children alike. The godmothers include:

-- Gloria Estefan, world-renowned singer, songwriter, actor and author, who
was godmother of Royal Caribbean's Empress of the Seas
-- Michelle Kwan, the Olympic Games medalist is an all-time great and the
most decorated figure skater in United States history, and is also an
American Public Diplomacy envoy promoting education, positive health
practices and respect for diversity
-- Jane Seymore, a multiple Emmy and Golden Globe winning actor, as well as
an Officer of the British Empire, who remains actively involved in the J
and J Foundation benefiting children in need. Based on her philosophy
that keeping an open heart despite adversity can bring a wealth of love,
hope and inspiration into life, she founded the website
www.KeepAnOpenHeart.com, a community where people can share stories and
engage in a dialogue about living with an open heart.
-- Dara Torres, twelve-time Olympic medalist and oldest female swimmer to
compete in a record five Olympic games (1984, 1988, 1992, 2000 and 2008)
-- Keshia Knight Pulliam, film and television actress is well-known for her
role as Rudy Huxtable on the classic sitcom "The Cosby Show." The
youngest actress ever nominated for an Emmy Award when she was only 6
years old, she presently stars on the TBS television comedy "Tyler
Perry's House of Payne" and was most recently seen starring in the hit
motion picture "Madea Goes To Jail."
-- Shawn Johnson, four-time medalist at the 2008 Olympic games for women's
gymnastics and cancer philanthropist, who in addition to serving as a
godmother for Oasis of the Seas, will be granting wishes onboard as part
of her work with the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

-- Daisy Fuentes, international television personality and producer, beauty
and fitness expert, and recognized role model for Latin-American women
in the United States, who is committed to improving children's health
and treatments through St. Jude's Children's Hospital, Starlight
Children's Foundation and the March of Dimes
"It is a humbling and equally exciting privilege to have these seven exemplary women take on the responsibility of being godmothers of Oasis of the Seas," said Richard D. Fain, chairman and CEO, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. "We felt it only fitting that our most revolutionary ship be named by an outstanding group of women who embody the same excellence in their respective fields."

The seven women will take their posts to officially name the ship at a ceremony during a one-night inaugural celebration-fundraiser onboard Oasis of the Seas to benefit the non-profit Make-A-Wish Foundation, which grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions. Tickets for the once-in-a-lifetime event begin at $500 per person. Guests who wish to continue their adventure onboard will receive an exclusive discount price, beginning at $650 per person, on a four-night cruise package sailing to the cruise line's private beach destination, Labadee, departing the morning following the event on Tuesday, Dec. 1 (rates based on double-occupancy and stateroom package). For reservations to this exclusive event combined with the four-night sailing, contact Cynthia Paez, Royal Caribbean International, at (877) 202-1520, ext. 12751, or cpaez@rccl.com.

Bookings are also available for Oasis of the Seas' inaugural sailing departing on Saturday, Dec. 5. The inaugural sailing will include exclusive entertainment and gifts for guests to commemorate the special occasion.

As the ultimate expression of Royal Caribbean's legacy of imagination and innovation, Oasis of the Seas introduces unique industry "firsts" including a neighborhood concept - seven main themed areas providing guests with the opportunity to seek out relevant experiences based on their personal style, preference or mood. Within these seven neighborhoods - Central Park, Boardwalk, the Royal Promenade, Pool & Sports Zone, Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center, Entertainment Place and Youth Zone - are extraordinary elements such as the first living park at sea; a thrilling zip line that races diagonally nine-decks above an open-air atrium; an original handcrafted carousel; 28 multilevel urban-style loft suites boasting floor-to-ceiling windows; an amphitheater-style theater that serves as a pool by day and a dazzling ocean front theater by night; and an array of epicurean innovations that allow for new culinary experiences each day of a guest's cruise vacation.

Oasis of the Seas is the largest and most revolutionary cruise ship in the world. An architectural marvel at sea, she spans 16 decks, encompasses 225,282 gross registered tons, carries 5,400 guests at double occupancy, and features 2,700 staterooms. Oasis of the Seas is the first ship to tout the cruise line's new neighborhood concept of seven distinct themed areas, which includes Central Park, Boardwalk, the Royal Promenade, the Pool and Sports Zone, Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center, Entertainment Place and Youth Zone. The ship will sail from her home port of Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Additional information is available at www.oasisoftheseas.com.

Royal Caribbean International is a global cruise brand with 21 ships currently in service and one under construction. The line also offers unique cruise tour land packages in Alaska, Canada, Dubai, Europe, and Australia and New Zealand. For additional information or to make reservations, call your travel agent, visit www.royalcaribbean.com or call (800) ROYAL-CARIBBEAN. Travel professionals should go www.cruisingpower.com or call (800) 327-2056.

SOURCE Royal Caribbean International

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 11-18-2009 08:08 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They mispelled the lovely Jane Seymour's name.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
jetwet1
First Class Passenger
Member # 6361

posted 11-20-2009 06:52 AM      Profile for jetwet1   Author's Homepage   Email jetwet1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry but that really does not work for me, a ship should have one god mother, this just stinks of trying to get some media hype, very sad move on RCL's part.
Posts: 608 | From: Las VEgas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-20-2009 07:01 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jetwet1:
Sorry but that really does not work for me, a ship should have one god mother, this just stinks of trying to get some media hype, very sad move on RCL's part.

So what purpose do Godmothers serve apart for to generate publicity?

I appreciate seven is unusual but so is the ship. Maybe RCI hope for seven times the publicity. You can't blame them; they’re a business after all. ;-)

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
GregD
First Class Passenger
Member # 4176

posted 11-20-2009 09:16 AM      Profile for GregD   Author's Homepage   Email GregD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the whole godmother thing has lost its lore. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a godfather of a ship soon!
My thinking with the godmother choices is, why not go all Olympian! I mean they have 3 of them. Why not just add 4 more. With the hype that surrounds these games and the success in Beijing and upcoming Vancouver, why not use them?

Posts: 548 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 11-20-2009 09:32 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GregD:
I think the whole godmother thing has lost its lore. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a godfather of a ship soon!
My thinking with the godmother choices is, why not go all Olympian! I mean they have 3 of them. Why not just add 4 more. With the hype that surrounds these games and the success in Beijing and upcoming Vancouver, why not use them?

Greg the Belgian ferry Prins Philip was christened by Belgian Crown Prince Philip back in 1991.

MS PRINS PHILIP (now M/S NORMAN SPIRIT)

On topic
I found 2 godmothers to much fore Zaandam, let alone 7 godmothers fore Oasis. To much and over the top. 1 god mother would be elegant, prefer Jane Seymour because she is partly Dutch and a very good actress.

Greetings Ben.

[ 11-20-2009: Message edited by: Maasdam ]

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cam J
First Class Passenger
Member # 24617

posted 11-20-2009 06:26 PM      Profile for Cam J   Email Cam J   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think this is a really dumb idea. Isn't the whole point to christen the ship, not the places inside of the ship??

Cam J

Posts: 503 | From: Belvedere, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 11-20-2009 06:43 PM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Peter Deilmann's M/S "Deutschland" was also christened by a "godfather" in 1998, former German President Richard von Weizsäcker.

Best,

Raoul

Posts: 775 | From: Paderborn, Germany | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matts
First Class Passenger
Member # 4120

posted 11-21-2009 08:21 AM      Profile for Matts     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lets not forget the Carnival Dream had a godmother and a godchild (to christen the waterslide)...
Posts: 829 | From: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-21-2009 08:47 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matts:
and a godchild (to christen the waterslide)...

The mind boggles!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 11-21-2009 10:00 AM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GregD:

It's already been done...don't forget that the actor, James (Jimmy) Stewart, christened Royal Viking Sun in 1989.

[ 11-21-2009: Message edited by: Jekyll ]

Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 11-21-2009 10:18 AM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, Kaiser Wilhelm II christened the HAPAG giant IMPERATOR in May of 1912.....

As far as having 7 Godmothers for OOTS, I say let Royal Caribbean have their moment; the more attention events like this get the more people will cruise and then more ships will be built.

Which will give us all something to talk about well into our golden years.

-Russ

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 11-21-2009 03:16 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are we to assume there will be 7 bottles of champagne broken in the 7 neighborhoods at the same time by the 7 Godmothers? No mention of it. What if one of the seven doesnt break, or 3 of the seven dont break? Will there be do-overs?

It should be interesting to watch. They should have a live feed broadcasting the naming ceremony.

quote:
Originally posted by Cam J:
I think this is a really dumb idea. Isn't the whole point to christen the ship, not the places inside of the ship??

Cam J

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 11-21-2009 10:53 PM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
Are we to assume there will be 7 bottles of champagne broken in the 7 neighborhoods at the same time by the 7 Godmothers? No mention of it. What if one of the seven doesnt break, or 3 of the seven dont break? Will there be do-overs?

It should be interesting to watch. They should have a live feed broadcasting the naming ceremony.

Shawn is only 17 so even international waters won't let her near champagne, lol.

I'm fine with having seven godmothers and since the main thing about the godmother is that they are supposed to be someone who is famous or has done something great I don't see why we can't have godfathers. When they start I want to be top of the list, lol.

Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 11-22-2009 07:25 PM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On all the ships I have been on I havent cared who christined it, was never aware of who, and didnt care or want to know at all. Having a celebrity christen a ship isnt going to get me rushing to go on it - I will only go on a ship if I like what I see in the itinerary, layout, facilities etc.

In my opinion using celebrities to christen a ship is much like the deluded idea of removing the number "13" from all the ships lifeboats, deck plands and cabins to cater to the mentaly inept who have unjustified fears of numbers.

Posts: 1055 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 11-22-2009 09:00 PM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sutho:
In my opinion using celebrities to christen a ship is much like the deluded idea of removing the number "13" from all the ships lifeboats, deck plands and cabins to cater to the mentaly inept who have unjustified fears of numbers.

Talking about the number 13 lifeboat. Guess which ship?

Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dutch
First Class Passenger
Member # 14009

posted 11-22-2009 09:55 PM      Profile for Dutch   Email Dutch   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Seven godmothers is stupid. Must everything about Oasis scream biggest or most. How bout some subtlety somewhere.
Posts: 168 | From: Chicago, IL USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 11-22-2009 10:46 PM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That picture is probably of Oasis. The question is now do they have a deck 13. Princess is notorious for it.

I cant see the point of godmothers to a ship. Do people actually book a cruise just because they like the godmother? There are more factors about booking a cruise than godmother and the ships godmother is probably never thought of when people book. Its just a cheap mindless gimmick much like Princess dropping "13".

Posts: 1055 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.