- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Veendam gets ducktail! (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Veendam gets ducktail!
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 03-31-2009 02:43 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The HAL blog has photos of the Veendam's refit in Freeport. New aft balcony cabins and additional deck require the installment of a ducktail for stability. Also, the bridge wings are being extended as a result:

New ducktail:

Bridge wing extensions:

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 03-31-2009 08:57 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting entry at the HAL blog. Thanks for sharing the information Fairsky, because I completely forgot about the refits planned for the S-class ships. I notice that they ripped out the escalators....what are they replacing in its place?
Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
shipcafe
First Class Passenger
Member # 3959

posted 03-31-2009 09:19 PM      Profile for shipcafe   Author's Homepage   Email shipcafe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was JUST going to post on here that I'm surprised the flood of feedback about Veendam's ducktail has not begun.

It is going to be one of those physical modifications that must be done for the ship's stability, etc. With this, Veendam's side profile will be much different than I even expected. Should be interesting.

With her dark hull, hopefully the stern addition will not be too stark.

Posts: 314 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
shipcafe
First Class Passenger
Member # 3959

posted 03-31-2009 09:20 PM      Profile for shipcafe   Author's Homepage   Email shipcafe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Waynaro:
Interesting I notice that they ripped out the escalators....what are they replacing in its place?

What else? Staterooms!

Posts: 314 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-31-2009 09:26 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think they need to clip on some balconies like Carnival did with SENSATION and now ECSTASY. That would really complete the refit.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-31-2009 09:49 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fairsky:

Maybe this is a prototype for Carnival's new clip-on 'Extendo-Verandamatic' for all of their existing ships.

[ 03-31-2009: Message edited by: lasuvidaboy ]

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 03-31-2009 09:58 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the ducktail will require the removal of her stern anchor?
avalon1025
First Class Passenger
Member # 5383

posted 03-31-2009 11:51 PM      Profile for avalon1025   Email avalon1025   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
aren't they going to clip on some balconies just aft of the bridge ala Carnival? - hence the bridge extensions...I love the Veendam, hope she survives the plastic surgeons knife!
Posts: 331 | From: West Hollywood | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 04-01-2009 03:04 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually generally speaking I think the S class have relatively few balconies and could benefit from the addition of some more, I like this size ship but also want a balcony and there are relatively few on this class.

The Carnival cock up I think is an extreme example, Costa Victoria is a good example of how to do it and even Zenith/Horizon look pretty good after the additions. None of them look worse for the addition and it would make them better ships from the owners point of view - worth keeping longer and investing more in.

Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 04-01-2009 11:01 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope the latest changes don't ruin what was previously a very nice ship, especially since four more ships are going to get this treatment including ROTTERDAM, which is a ship I (and many others) particularly like.

A sponson and added-on balconies need not be ugly though. Anyway, I am more concerned about the lanai cabins and their effect on the promenade deck (which is great on these ships), the new aft pool deck (looks rather tacky in renderings) and other changes related to the passenger experience, not the aesthetics of the ship (never especially pretty from the outside anyway). In the end I am sure she will still be a nice enough ship but I am not convinced I will like her better "after" than "before."

Still planning on sailing her next year though. HAL + Bermuda = .

Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
rd77
First Class Passenger
Member # 2117

posted 04-02-2009 11:24 AM      Profile for rd77   Email rd77   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dougnewman:
A sponson and added-on balconies need not be ugly though. [/QB]

Must say I'm not too worried about external changes to these ships. They've also looked a bit boxy and odd to me anyway. What they could really use is a stretch (to the same length as VOLENDAM/ZAANDAM/ROTTERDAM/AMSTERDAM).

Posts: 1037 | From: The Hague, Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
bcscot
First Class Passenger
Member # 22351

posted 04-02-2009 01:34 PM      Profile for bcscot        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What is this about lanai cabins on the promenade deck? The HAL promenade deck is one of their finest features.

I agree that the S-Class ships are a little boxy but I like them. I especially like getting right up to the bow which you cannot do on many ships now. At least Eurodam has a forward viewing area now, which was sadly lacking on the older Vistas.

The other thing I liked about the S-Class ships was the lack of the wind screen on the top deck, which just spoils the view. Are they adding these? At least on Prinsendam it is set back so you can get infront of it.

I think that Rotterdam & Amsterdam both have a nice sleek line. The mock 'shear' is effective in conveying the classic look of an older ship too.

HAL, you have a great fleet. Please do not spoil it!

Graham.

Posts: 266 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
deck chair
First Class Passenger
Member # 3249

posted 04-02-2009 01:55 PM      Profile for deck chair   Email deck chair   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello Gang:

STEIN KRUSE, CEO of HAL is well on his way to runing the S classs ships. First, the add on to the spa which ruined the forward view from the crows nest lounge. Next he cut back on the cruise staff and the bands that play in the lounge. He cut back on the waiters in the dining room. Other nickle and dime cut backs are evident. Then he twists the ships in a vain attempt to make the ship all things to all people. Now he continues on with the addition of more cabins on the aft deck eliminating even more outside deck space. The so called RETREAT is a joke. I can only imagine what the idiotic lanai set up will do the promanade deck. HAL is now just a name not what it was for so many years. Wth the negative chnages the loyal HAL passesngers will drift away to OCEANIA or CRYSTAL or perhaps CELEBRITY. HAL will be forced to discount the ships to bring in the hoards and the death spiral will accelerate. I will not sail on that line again. Why should I, Stein?
Deck Chair

Posts: 20 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 04-03-2009 11:23 AM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Photo from the refit. Here you can see the extension they've added to the deck where the pool was located as well as the new balconies that has replaced it.

Not very attractive.

Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 04-03-2009 12:22 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am not liking that extension.....And what about this?

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
bcscot
First Class Passenger
Member # 22351

posted 04-03-2009 02:52 PM      Profile for bcscot        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So I take it that the nice little area at the back, below the pool deck, will be lost, with no outside way up at the after end.

Graham.

Posts: 266 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
deck chair
First Class Passenger
Member # 3249

posted 04-03-2009 04:47 PM      Profile for deck chair   Email deck chair   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Gang

it appears as if the promanade deck will be cluttered up with all the doors from the so called LANAI cabins that offer immediate access to the outside deck. So does that mean that that will be fewer deck chairs on the deck to make room for all the doors? (Of course, Stein doesn't want you reading a book on that deck, he wants you inside buying gold by the inch.) The other thing, I 've stayed on that deck on two long sailings. It really wasn't a long walk to get to a door to the outside deck. Does Kruse think that passengers are so lazy or broken down they can't walk a few feet to get to the outside? Is there such a great need for such lanai cabins???? Is it worth ruining this one remaining decent space?

Also, that small aft deck that offered a quiet retreat from the aft pool has been lost in addition to the other outside deck being eliminated to make room for the new so called RETREAT deck.

I wonder if STEIN KRUSE has questioined how many passengers will want those new cabins which are right under the RETREAT deck with all the noise from music and chairs etc bromh moved around. Don't think many Stein.

As I stated earlier, the CEO of HAL is ruining the S class ships with these so called enhancements. He is so giddy about this new RETREAT. Well, STEIN, I'm retreating from HAL big time. And I am not alone.

Our only hope is that HAL will find these enhancements a disaster and will cancel plans to ruin the other S class vessels and along with it STEIN 's job.

DECK CHAIR.

Noordam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3811

posted 04-03-2009 07:39 PM      Profile for Noordam   Email Noordam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are you Stein's ex wife?

What a broken record!

Posts: 441 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
avalon1025
First Class Passenger
Member # 5383

posted 04-03-2009 11:34 PM      Profile for avalon1025   Email avalon1025   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I started sailing on the Rotterdam V when I was 3 and have sailed over 200 days with HAL, my last cruise on the Noordam was so mediocre that I have no plans to return. Luckily, with a good single supplement, Silversea is not much more than a veranda suite on HAL so they have my next three cruises. I feel sad as HAL was always part of my life, but I need to move on. I sailed the inaugural of the Veendam, its sad how that nice little ship is being seemingly butchered.
deck chair
First Class Passenger
Member # 3249

posted 04-04-2009 01:48 AM      Profile for deck chair   Email deck chair   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Gang:

To NOORDAM, no I am not Stein's ex-wife although I found the question very amusing!

Sorry for the double post....I suppose my grief over the fate of HAL the VEENDAM distracted me.

NOORDAM, please address the issues I raised. Do you think HAL is on a great course? do you believe what is happening to the VEENDAM is a good thing?
Do you think it even matters?
Thanks.
DECK CHAIR.

dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 04-04-2009 05:02 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
deck chair, I think it is your constant mention of Stein Kruse by name that is irritating and/or humorous (depending on one's perspective), not your actual complaints about HAL.

It makes it sound like you have a personal vendetta against the man.

[ 04-04-2009: Message edited by: dougnewman ]

deck chair
First Class Passenger
Member # 3249

posted 04-04-2009 05:49 PM      Profile for deck chair   Email deck chair   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Gang

FYI I have been sailing on ships since I was six years old. I have sailed with AMERICAN EXPORT LINE with ITALIAN LINE, MATSON LINE I was on the final transatlantic of the FRANCE in September 1974. I know how ships used to be from long personal experience. That is why is happening to HAL to so sad for me.

I have no personal vendetta against Stein but he should be held accountable by loyal HALSTERS for destroying the S class ships instead of fighting to build on the rich tradition of HAL. When he finally leaves what will be his legacy? I am holding him accountable by not sailing with HAL in the future. I am not alone. No doubt he is a nice man, just misguided. I would love to hear from people who think he is doing a great job who believe that his legacy will be a fine one. Perhaps they can change my mind.

In the meantime, I just spoke to a woman who very recently returned from a cruise on the VEENDAM. She was horrrifed to learn more outside deck space is being eliminated and the nice aft pool is being down away with to be replaced by wading pools for the sake of adding more cabins.

Please don't think I spend all my time fretting over this. I really do read books, newspapers travel, work and watch AMERICAN IDOL. Rather disappointed that Megan Joy was just eliminated but not nearly as disappointed about the ugly fate of the VEENDAM.

Thanks.
Deck CHAIR

avalon1025
First Class Passenger
Member # 5383

posted 04-04-2009 07:00 PM      Profile for avalon1025   Email avalon1025   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I sometimes feel Holland America is so stuck on shedding their image as a line for old folk, that they try too hard and come up with silly ideas. I can not imagine anyone looking for a rocking good time and stay out all night atmosphere being swayed by a over sized wading pool and an outdoor movie screen.

Holland America's niche is classic cruising, longer journeys and heck, older more sedate folk. Even as a young person, I got it and enjoyed it when I wanted a classic cruise experience.

I hope they realize who their core customer is before they loose their way any more.

Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 04-04-2009 07:54 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hear trampolines, ziplines, and rockwalls are next up . Just kidding
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 04-04-2009 09:11 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by avalon1025:
I hope they realize who their core customer is before they loose their way any more.
I think HAL lost sight of that c. 1999 when it had Mary Kate and Ashley name one of its ships - ZAANDAM was it?

Or maybe right after Carnival bought it when it stupidly commissioned Joe Farcus to design some public rooms for the S-class ships. The last of these are set to go in this latest round of refits for the S-class, mercifully! (Too bad their replacements will all have the incredibly awful name "The Showroom at Sea." What's next - "The Restaurant at Sea," "The Bar at Sea," etc.?)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that HAL has lost sight of its core clientele a few times already.

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.